Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the head

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

jm08 wrote: »
    You keep going on about Test matches - there are only 3 of them (and presumably Sexton will be starting those).

O'Gara could be an option in the role that Quinlan was picked for the last time - an older, experienced head.

O'Gara has experience of playing with all of these teams, and if he is starting OH for Munster for the HCup, he will be well in with a chance to go to lead the dirt trackers.

Lots of people seem to have a strong affection towards O'Gara judging from the cheer he got last week when he came on despite his disasterous showing against SA ;)

No one in their right mind would risk having ROG as the back up outhalf for the Lions by bringing him. One injury to an outhalf and he would be on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Hagz wrote: »
    Because they are all that matters. If you think otherwise you're mistaken.

They are all building blocks. If they don't matter why play them in the first place?
    Lots of people are casual rugby fans who don't watch club rugby. They see headlines like last minute drop goal saves Munster and then scratch their heads when O'Gara doesn't start for Ireland. Equally, lots of people don't like Sexton.

So you reckon there are a lot of Ireland fans who are willing to pay out a lot of money to watch Ireland play in the Aviva but they don't watch club rugby and get all their info from the the headlines? :confused:

Lots of people seem to have a strong affection towards O'Gara judging from the cheer he got last week when he came on despite his disasterous showing against SA ;)

Oh another reason to add to jm08's reasons to bring O'Gara:

(5) He gets big cheers from crowds despite poor performances.

Higher wrote: »
    No one in their right mind would risk having ROG as the back up outhalf for the Lions by bringing him. One injury to an outhalf and he would be on the bench.

They will bring 3 - Flood/Hook can play centre as well, so would be useful options for Test matches.

So you reckon there are a lot of Ireland fans who are willing to pay out a lot of money to watch Ireland play in the Aviva but they don't watch club rugby and get all their info from the the headlines? :confused:

jm08 what on earth are you trying to argue here :confused:

Are you actually trying to claim that a crowd's cheer should determine whether a player is brought on tour?

Or you trying to say that ROG has been performing well and deserves a Lion tour on the basis of the crowd's cheer?

Or are you trying to argue that ROG should go because the crowd likes him?

Because all of them are really stupid reasons.

• Advertisement

Higher wrote: »
    Oh another reason to add to jm08's reasons to bring O'Gara:

(5) He gets big cheers from crowds despite poor performances.

No. That comment was in response to this. Nothing to do with going on the Lions.
    It's obvious you have a strong affection towards O'Gara, but the reality is, if all those options I listed were eligible for Ireland, they would deserve to be a head of him at the moment.

They will bring 3 - Flood/Hook can play centre as well, so would be useful options for Test matches.

even if they brought 5 he wouldn't be anywhere near the list.

Hes not even in the top 3 outhalfs in Ireland for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Arguing with jm08 is like trying to pick up mercury with a fork. The very idea that this is up for discussion is hilarious. It's been put forward by Alan Quinlan, who is clearly not a disinterested party. jm08's theory seems to be that ROG will be picked because none of the others are playing well, but the fact that ROG is playing like a bag of nails is apparently irrelevant, because he's going to play himself into form over the next few months. Does the same not apply to Flood, Priestland etc.

I would love to ask jm08 to put his money where his mouth is and ofer people a price on ROG making the tour to see how much he believes his own daft logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

I do agree with Frankie being compromised by his role as a players agent. ( I have lost count of the times he references Ian Nagle out of nowhere) but in fairness BBC Norn Iron use Ryan Constable and Jan Cunningham a lot. Constable is the biggest agent in the Country in terms of numbers of active players and Cunningham works for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

What is the title of this thread again?

Relating to Against the Head I nearly fell off my chair in disbelief at the team selected. O'Driscoll at 12 and Gilroy starting were the highlights.

Equally shocking was Cahills coverage of the Rabo. Think he should be put forward for a drugs test...

Poor Mal seemed to be a deer caught in the floodlights. The man talked for circa 6 minutes without saying anything at all!

Seriously I don't think anyone that isn't a big rugby fan would watch this muck. It has the entertainment value of a wet carrot. The best bit is the montage for the competition...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

They are all building blocks. If they don't matter why play them in the first place?

Eh to asses what you're best 22 is.....obviously. If O'Gara has no chance of being in the test 22, then why bring him?

No, I don't reckon, I know. I know lots of them. It's pretty normal. In fact, I'd wager that the majority of the crowd in the Aviva wouldn't have a good knowledge about what's going on in club rugby. Heck, half of the rugby team I play with don't watch the Pro12 games. People in this forum, who get exited about a match between Ulster and Newport are a rarity.

Gargled wrote: »
    Poor Mal seemed to be a deer caught in the floodlights. The man talked for circa 6 minutes without saying anything at all!

I though Malcolm O'Kelly was very good. I'd be happy to seem him on it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Look ROG is ROG, he has done a lot of things for Muster and Irish rugby over the years and if he comes on I for one will cheer. That said I will not support the idea of him coming on for Ireland or starting for Munster or touring with the Lions.

People (in general) need to pull their heads out of their asses and divorce the ideas of supporting the players and respecting a true servant of Irish rugby (which ROG is no mattter how his performances at the moment are going) with the idea of picking the best players.

A lot of people in this forum and elsewhere are suggesting that ROG should be in the Irish 23 because of his past successes and a lot of people disrespect ROG as a player and his history because of his current performances.

Sorry for the mini rant guys.

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Arguing with jm08 is like trying to pick up mercury with a fork.
    Lloyd George v De Valera I think - I am flattered!
    The very idea that this is up for discussion is hilarious. It's been put forward by Alan Quinlan, who is clearly not a disinterested party. jm08's theory seems to be that ROG will be picked because none of the others are playing well, but the fact that ROG is playing like a bag of nails is apparently irrelevant, because he's going to play himself into form over the next few months. Does the same not apply to Flood, Priestland etc.

I've only been explaining why Quinlan would suggest that ROG is in with a chance of touring with the Lions.

ROG hasn't been injured to know what way he has been playing. ROG came on last weekend, and Ireland scored a try immediately - of course all you can see are the mistakes he made because that is all you are looking for.
    I would love to ask jm08 to put his money where his mouth is and ofer people a price on ROG making the tour to see how much he believes his own daft logic.

I'm explaining Quinlan's logic - he also said Wilko could be in there - the logic is that there are a lot of very poor options at outhalf out there and the one thing these two have going for them is experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What is the title of this thread again?

Relating to Against the Head I nearly fell off my chair in disbelief at the team selected. O'Driscoll at 12 and Gilroy starting were the highlights.

Equally shocking was Cahills coverage of the Rabo. Think he should be put forward for a drugs test...

Seriously I don't think anyone that isn't a big rugby fan would watch this muck. It has the entertainment value of a wet carrot. The best bit is the montage for the competition...
    Hagz wrote: »
    I though Malcolm O'Kelly was very good. I'd be happy to seem him on it again.

I actually thought Mal was on the verge of telling it like it is when he was asked if Ireland had possibly turned a corner. He started to develop a criticism and then became more discreet shall we say.

With regard to the Lions segment, the fact that Quinny thinks O'Gara :-
    a) Has a chance of a Lions tour and
    b) Is good enough in the first place and
    c) should go........would normally mark someone down as either a shaved talking monkey or a total and irredeemable cretin. As it's Quinny then he clearly is just boosting his old buddy and is totally blinded to reality by his acquaintanceship with ROG. Unless he has become an idiot over the weekend.

My 2 cents on this..... someone who cannot tackle can't play for the Lions

Look ROG is ROG, he has done a lot of things for Muster and Irish rugby over the years and if he comes on I for one will cheer. That said I will not support the idea of him coming on for Ireland or starting for Munster or touring with the Lions.

So you are a hypocrite then!
    People (in general) need to pull their heads out of their asses and divorce the ideas of supporting the players and respecting a true servant of Irish rugby (which ROG is no mattter how his performances at the moment are going) with the idea of picking the best players.

People can support who they want to. Maybe some people should also think its a bit premature to write off someone on 13 minutes of rugby.

A lot of people in this forum and elsewhere are suggesting that ROG should be in the Irish 23 because of his past successes and a lot of people disrespect ROG as a player and his history because of his current performances.

Sorry for the mini rant guys.

I don't get why you would think that ROG wants to sit on the bench for Ireland in the first place. Remember, David Humphreys refused to when Ireland had Paddy Wallace as their only option. Said he didn't like being away from his young family for such long periods and then not to be playing.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I actually thought Mal was on the verge of telling it like it is when he was asked if Ireland had possibly turned a corner. He started to develop a criticism and then became more discreet shall we say.

He stammered an awful lot and really didn't look comfortable on screen. I like the guy, just needs some media training or practice or something!

. ROG came on last weekend, and Ireland scored a try immediately - of course all you can see are the mistakes he made because that is all you are looking for.

I am genuinely unsure if you're ripping the piss or not..

ROG had nothing to do with the try. He was however directly responsible for Argentina getting a try.

We hadn't conceded before Ronan 'above international standard' O'Gara came on and did his all too familiar turnstile tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lads, boards.ie does have an "ignore poster" option...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So you are a hypocrite then!.
    I don't consider myself as such. I consider myself a supporter. If ROG comes on he will get a cheer in respect of his past accomplishments and all the good memories but that doesn't mean he should come on
    Maybe some people should also think its a bit premature to write off someone on 13 minutes of rugby.

what 13 minutes of rugby, most people who have a probem with ROG have had one for a lot more than 13 minutes of rugby.

He stammered an awful lot and really didn't look comfortable on screen. I like the guy, just needs some media training or practice or something!

He does look nervous. If he criticised Kidney's management it could be put down to sour grapes anyway since Kidney dropped Mal for poor time keeping during the GS Six Nations.

How can this be allowed to continue!

He does look nervous. If he criticised Kidney's management it could be put down to sour grapes anyway since Kidney dropped Mal for poor time keeping during the GS Six Nations.

Yeah because no one could be genuinely critical of Declan Kidney.

It MUST be sour grapes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watched this there.

The look on Quinlan when he said it was him who'd be telling POC and first McCarthy and then Ryan winning MOTM awards did have me laughing out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought he had a voice like black velvet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

[QUOTE=jm08;81961860] Remember, David Humphreys refused to when Ireland had Paddy Wallace as their only option. Said he didn't like being away from his young family for such long periods and then not to be playing.[/QUOTE]

jm08 im getting serious deja vu from that statement. Weve been here before on this subject. And if i remember right and if im reading right, he wanted and needed to be close to his family, ie he felt he had taken his international career as far as it could go and was at the tail end of his career and wanted to let the younger talent ie ROG come through. He never refused to play for Ireland.

Its a bit of a fudge for you to twist this to suit your own agenda re ROG, do you not think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

leftleg wrote: »
    jm08 im getting serious deja vu from that statement. Weve been here before on this subject. And if i remember right and if im reading right, he wanted and needed to be close to his family, ie he felt he had taken his international career as far as it could go and was at the tail end of his career and wanted to let the younger talent ie ROG come through. He never refused to play for Ireland.

Its a bit of a fudge for you to twist this to suit your own agenda re ROG, do you not think

You pretty much summed up the majority of his posts.

ROG shouldn't be in an asses roar of the plane and by making the point Quinlan has lowered himself as a journalist in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

jm08...Fair play to ya.
    Wonderful fishing.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    jm08...Fair play to ya.
    Wonderful fishing.

Have you seen his previous posts? I doubt hes fishing at all to be honest.

Advertisement