Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the head

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think it's inevitable that Daire will get the 6N job when Mcgurk goes. RTE generally don't look too far beyond the obvious when it comes to dishing out presenter jobs so it's either Daire, Kathryn Thomas or Mairead Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

In fairness to O'Brien he's not particularly objectionable like Inverdale or Jiffy just kind of annoying to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Jaysus can't stand O'Brien, he always interrupts the guests to make a really cliche point, I could see myself venturing to BBC more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The only logical step Rte can take to freshen it up is to give McGuirks seat to the crowd favourite. Daithi O' Se...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

ROG should be host

• Advertisement

I didn't realise I was supposed to hate Daire O'Brien till I caught up on this thread! I've been slacking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In fairness to O'Brien he's not particularly objectionable like Inverdale or Jiffy just kind of annoying to watch.

I would have the exact opposite opinion. Can't syand o'brien. Simply can't watch anything he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

duckysauce wrote: »
    ROG should be host

Rog should stick to making contributions from the pitch, man he is a terrible pundit. Constantly brings everything back to the role of the out-half and doesn't criticise anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'd give it a go.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'd give it a go.

Weren't you part of the original panel?

00086ed4-560.jpg

Edit: also you'd hardly be suitable what with RTÉ's anti-Ulster Rugby bias!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd actually prefer McGuirk over Daire O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Weren't you part of the original panel?

00086ed4-560.jpg

Edit: also you'd hardly be suitable what with RTÉ's anti-Ulster Rugby bias!
    I've got better hair than that even today and anyone who ever wore such a shirt & tie is unfit for human society. Circles and squares together. OF what was he thinking? RTE isn't biased towards Ulster. No one has told them about us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ROG should be host

Rubbish. Sexton would make a far better host.

.ak wrote: »
    I'd actually prefer McGuirk over Daire O'Brien.

Is Joanne Cantwell out of the frame for the 6N? Would be a fairly different dynamic and that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd take nearly anyone over Daire O'Brien. Not only do I find him a bad host, but I also think he's a very difficult person to actually like. And that's putting it politely. If he is the new host for the 6 Nations then I'll be watching the BBC. And that's after years of watching McGuirk and Hook of RTE!

McGuirk + Hook > Daire O'Brien :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

O'Brien is very hard to watch. For a start, shave your f*cking head man. You look ridiculous.

Secondly, his manner is extremely grating, he clearly lets personal opinions colour his questions which are quite leading. He becomes far too animated and involved in the comments, interrupting panellists to argue his opinions at times.

There are plenty of options out there to use as host. He would be bottom of the list, to my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Just since someone mentioned ROG, what if Quinlan was the host? He seems an okay communicator and it would at least mean we wouldn't have to listen to his cliched opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quinlan is actually bland and affable enough for that to work. I don't think it would ever be looked at but it wouldn't be the worst thing. I suspect he'd rather sit on the other side though to ensure he's thought of as a pundit across the board for his various media work.

Highly unlikely, but I'm sure someone like Eoin McDevitt would be happy to have a go but again, that would impact on how he is perceived for his other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

The Host of the 6N has to tread a delicate line between on the one hand the easy going uncle (or Aunt in fairness) you want to sit down with and talk sport for hours and on the other hand a keyed in moderator who know their stuff and are able to call pundits out on any pomposity or sh1te they might spout.

Daire isn't particulalry good at either and Cantwell is far to intense to watch for an entire afternoon's programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

I can't handle O' Brien at all. Remember when he had a pop off bloggers and forum users, bizarrely calling them troglodytes, a few years back?

He's so knowledgable that he said to Pat Lam that Schmidt was his boss. I got a crick in my neck I cringed so hard.

Thought Jennings was great the other night. A rolling panel of Jackman, Lenihan, Murray Kinsella, Jennings and Eddie O' Sullivan. Bit of Stephen Ferris here and there for the gun show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭happy_knome

o brien reminds me of sean moncrief

always with the dry sarcastic wit

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

I actually think Shane Horgan would do a good job as the new McGurk... He was pitch side with ROG there recently asking him a load of questions and thought he came across well in that role. Irrespective, as a pundit I think Horgan has come on a serious amount in the last year or two. Can't stand O'Brien...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Oh god no. The show would have to be extended an hour to accommodate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Buer wrote: »
    Highly unlikely, but I'm sure someone like Eoin McDevitt would be happy to have a go but again, that would impact on how he is perceived for his other work.

Eoin McDevitt (who I very much like as a journalist) doesn't know what to do physically on TV. Keep an eye on his hand/arm gestures on Second Captains Live. Not that I'd see it as an insurmountable obstacle but it isn't fantastic optics.

Bring back Matty Williams, Franno and Dr. Emmet Byrne. As long as Matty isn't allowed to mention 7s . . . .

Is Shag Horgan pursuing a career in Law in London? That might be an obstacle to greater TV commitments in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Just since someone mentioned ROG, what if Quinlan was the host? He seems an okay communicator and it would at least mean we wouldn't have to listen to his cliched opinions.

I was taking the piss about ROG hosting it :eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

o brien reminds me of sean moncrief

always with the dry sarcastic wit

Difference being that moncrief can actually be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

If you all don't be careful it'll be Matt Cooper and no supper for any of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Morf wrote: »
    Eoin McDevitt (who I very much like as a journalist) doesn't know what to do physically on TV. Keep an eye on his hand/arm gestures on Second Captains Live. Not that I'd see it as an insurmountable obstacle but it isn't fantastic optics.

Bring back Matty Williams, Franno and Dr. Emmet Byrne. As long as Matty isn't allowed to mention 7s . . . .

Is Shag Horgan pursuing a career in Law in London? That might be an obstacle to greater TV commitments in Ireland.
    McDevitt has to present a light hearted show from a couch. It's much easier with a desk. I think McDevitt would be a good option. A likeable fella and crucially a listenable speaking voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

McDevitt has to present a light hearted show from a couch. It's much easier with a desk. I think McDevitt would be a good option. A likeable fella and crucially a listenable speaking voice.

Didn't he have a show on Setanta briefly with a more traditional desk-and-panel format? TalkSport or something like that? IIRC he was good with that format which backs up your point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

I was taking the piss about ROG hosting it :eek::eek:

Haha yeah, you'd need an extra hour of the show to give him time to think before he talks. But I used it as an opening anyway!

Advertisement