Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There was an onthread mod warning from last night, they will be a few more following him by the looks of it, plus cards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Sad thing is at 10 or 12 that particular boy is not a child. What else could you have done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sad thing is at 10 or 12 that particular boy is not a child. What else could you have done?

Get your retaliation in first? Pre-emptive strike? Sterilise the ne'er do wells and dole scum? Get tooled up? Organise street death squads?

10 or 12 is a child, to most people. Be it a troublemaker or troubled kid with a weapon or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If the kid got a few smacks for misbehaving when he was younger he might have more of a sense of right from wrong and more respect for his own and others lives.

TBF, part of the problem is probably that the kid got walloped for every transgression, real or imagined, growing up and thus learned that violence gets you what you want.

I have no problem with the OP smacking the kid, because he reacted instinctively to get himself out of a dangerous situation, but beating the child is probably what caused the problem in the first place.

Yeah, they ARE a child but my comment meant that they arent having a childhood

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    TBF, part of the problem is probably that the kid got walloped for every transgression, real or imagined, growing up and thus learned that violence gets you what you want.

I have no problem with the OP smacking the kid, because he reacted instinctively to get himself out of a dangerous situation, but beating the child is probably what caused the problem in the first place.

You are right.

old hippy wrote: »
    Get your retaliation in first? Pre-emptive strike? Sterilise the ne'er do wells and dole scum? Get tooled up? Organise street death squads?

10 or 12 is a child, to most people. Be it a troublemaker or troubled kid with a weapon or not.

Where did that come from anyway? Ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The thread is not about whether he is a child or not. And if this thread is anything to go by, most people agree with the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

Shoulda robbed the little prick...

Bruthal wrote: »
    The thread is not about whether he is a child or not. And if this thread is anything to go by, most people agree with the op.

Ah, of course, the mob has spoken.

• Advertisement

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    Shoulda robbed the little prick...

And that improves the whole situation how, exactly?

What scares me so much more than the child is the pumpkins here, with their would be vigilante actions and advocation of retribution and pre-emptive action.

Jesus feck, have IQs lowered since I left Ireland?

Ah, of course, the mob has spoken.

Well you seem happy enough to tell us what most people think a child is.

Not so happy when most people tell you they would defend themselves, when threatened with being stabbed.

But you stand there and get stabbed, if it means dis-association with the "mob" who can clearly see the possibility that hitting back could just possibly be needed.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well you seem happy enough to tell us what most people think a child is.

Not so happy when most people tell you they would defend themselves, when threatened with being stabbed.

But you stand there and get stabbed, if it means dis-association with the "mob" who can clearly see the possibility that hitting back could just possibly be needed.

So, a boy of 10 or twelve is an adult, not a child?

Thanks for clearing that up, so.

Btw, I've had knives pulled on me more times than you've had hot dinners and after nearly 30 years of living with the "good and the bad", I've not yet descended into the paranoid, hysterical knee jerkery that seems to be blighting these threads.

Not representative of Ireland, as a whole, I'm certain but anyone looking in must be having a right laugh at the pee my pants with righteous indignation types here.

Jeez :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, just avoid getting stabbed, like the OP avoided.

What scares me so much more than the child is the pumpkins here, with their would be vigilante actions and advocation of retribution and pre-emptive action.
    Pumpkins usually are carved with knives, perhaps the OP was ensuring he avoided the same fate.
    All else being equal, probably the opposite.
    So, a boy of 10 or twelve is an adult, not a child?
    Id say a knife in the abdomen would feel the same either way.

Btw, I've had knives pulled on me more times than you've had hot dinners and after nearly 30 years of living with the "good and the bad", I've not yet descended into the paranoid, hysterical knee jerkery that seems to be blighting these threads.
    I heard about you. When you do push ups, the world moves away from you.
    Not representative of Ireland, as a whole, I'm certain but anyone looking in must be having a right laugh at the pee my pants with righteous indignation types here.

Jeez :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    No, they see the OP, one person, being threatened with a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

will the OP do time for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

And that improves the whole situation how, exactly?

You really never miss an opportunity to pour scorn on the old country do you OH

I'd take the post you are quoting there in the same vein I would take watching one of colm meaneys characters sitting in a bar with his mates (after hours perhaps :rolleyes:) and throwing in his tupence,' jaysus, i woulda robbed the little fecker'. ya know, hoping to get a laugh, as we Irish do.

Lighten up a bit maybe. You started a thread recently patting yourself on the back for having no feelings of revenge towards people who probably made your life hell for being a little bit different, yet many of your posts come across as if there is a lot a pent up spite still lurking somewhere beneath. Like the above reference the the general IQs in this country. From reading your posts I know you wouldn't stand for it if someone were to refer to say, Japan, in the same manner.

Be honest, you can't get enough of this place. What with you always hanging out in the 'bar' of the biggest site in the country.
    I'll say one thing though, with the constant scorn you show towards people of this country, at least we know you're an Irishman through and through ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I hope to god the posters berating the OP for defending himself against a little scumbag in training, don't have children or dependents of they're own relying on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I punched a child and i liked it, they taste of getting stabbed I'd avoid it.

You really never miss an opportunity to pour scorn on the old country do you OH

I'd take the post you are quoting there in the same vein I would take watching one of colm meaneys characters sitting in a bar with his mates (after hours perhaps :rolleyes:) and throwing in his tupence,' jaysus, i woulda robbed the little fecker'. ya know, hoping to get a laugh, as we Irish do.

Lighten up a bit maybe. You started a thread recently patting yourself on the back for having no feelings of revenge towards people who probably made your life hell for being a little bit different, yet many of your posts come across as if there is a lot a pent up spite still lurking somewhere beneath. Like the above reference the the general IQs in this country. From reading your posts I know you wouldn't stand for it if someone were to refer to say, Japan, in the same manner.

Be honest, you can't get enough of this place. What with you always hanging out in the 'bar' of the biggest site in the country.
    I'll say one thing though, with the constant scorn you show towards people of this country, at least we know you're an Irishman through and through ;)

I've stood up for my home country plenty of times. You've only been posting here 6 months, a chara. Have you read all my posts? :confused:

There's no ill feelings, apart from my disdain at some of the vengeance & violence brigade who frequent the boards.

I'll compliment Ireland and point out the negative side, as I see fit, thanks all the same. I do despair at the knee jerkery that goes on, in any country. The UK, home, Japan - wherever.

Thanks for the patronising lecture on bar etiquette, though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I get why the OP reacted like he did but some of the blood thirst on this thread is a little scary and I think it would be quite a different reaction on the thread, maybe even the OP's original reflex too, if the child who was punched was replaced with woman or with a girl. The disparity in power would be more underlined but less so with a ten year old boy. Just sayin'.

Is this common? Little boys running around with knives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is this common? Little boys running around with knives?

More common than you'd think, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a funny thing, but I've thrown a few digs in my time in response to aggression from others, and my experience is that never, not once, have I ever had the time to think about a response. My brain's done the work and thrown the fist before my conscious mind has had anything to say about it. So people talking about making decisions and considering their response to given situations really does not dovetail with my experience of conflict, to which response, either fight or flight, is much more automatic than it's made out to be here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's a funny thing, but I've thrown a few digs in my time in response to aggression from others, and my experience is that never, not once, have I ever had the time to think about a response. My brain's done the work and thrown the fist before my conscious mind has had anything to say about it. So people talking about making decisions and considering their response to given situations really does not dovetail with my experience of conflict, to which response, either fight or flight, is much more automatic than it's made out to be here.

I think the OP did react incorrectly.
    He should of course have said "hang on there for a second, old chap" and started a thread here entitled "I am being confronted by a ruffian with a knife, whatever shall I do!?"
    After some careful deliberation (and maybe some PM's to some of the more eminent authorities on how to handle sticky situations, you know people who have knifes drawn at them every day (one wonders why)) he would then, of course, first hand over all his possessions, let the little tyke stab him for wasting his time, discuss his upbringing and the state of the world with him over some tofu and nettle tea and then devoted the rest of his life to making the world a better place for the poor little bittums.
    Variations on that theme could have involved crying, throwing himself to the ground and wetting himself.
    Because (and you should know this OP!) there always time to have a massive discussion and a few hours to sit down and really think of what should be done next. In any situation. Weren't you given the "time-stop" button at the last meeting? I mean really!

That little scrote is destined to die in his 30's at the latest with either a needle hanging out of his arm or from some serious lead poisoning.
    I shouldn't worry too much about him. We can all wring our hands with tears running down our faces, bemoaning the state of the world and wishing that we should all be riding unicorns pooping rainbows into the sunset (and I see nothing wrong with that), but the world is what it is and we have to react to it accordingly.
    Nobody is suggesting we should round up all scumbags and bate them to death with iron bars, the OP simple reacted, there was no time for a lengthy discussion on boards about it beforehand. Hope you never have to do it again, OP, once is quite enough, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure the kid is a year older now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

antodeco wrote: »

I'm sure he is the owner of a successful international company by now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

antodeco wrote: »

Hopefully he got another lash in the face for his birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

1310 thanks now, it must be a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I have a brilliant sense of humour but I don't understand why this has over 1300 thanks. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I have a brilliant sense of humour but I don't understand why this has over 1300 thanks. Am I missing something?

A sense of humour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

fussyonion wrote: »
    A sense of humour?

I take it the OP wasn't a joke and he actually did punch a scumbag child?

Advertisement