Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A girl I know works in one of those halfway house things for children. Most of the kids come from broken homes and have a history of physical abuse and / or drug abuse. She regularly gets attacked by some of the kids and before Christmas one of them tried to choke her to death with a rope. She still has the burn marks on her neck. The same child (16) was released to the care of his junkie mother for Christmas and she said she would be surprised if he makes it through the season as he will likely end up OD'ing with his mum. Sadly there is no hope for this child.

If the kid got a few smacks for misbehaving when he was younger he might have more of a sense of right from wrong and more respect for his own and others lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

This message is hidden because zuroph is on your ignore list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Meh! None of them links are from Irish websites or papers. This ain't Australia, northern Ireland, America or England. :) This is the republic of Ireland.

You asked for evidence of ten and twelve year olds being convicted and it was provided. Now you're completely discrediting it because of the origins of the evidence. Cop on, for fúck's sake.

Whether it happens in Ireland, China or on Mars doesn't matter. You asked for evidence of under-12s being convicted and it was provided. Just because the 100 people in my link are up North (still on the same landmass, by the way) instead of in the Republic doesn't mean there isn't under-12s convicted down here.

If anything, a link to NI figures is perfectly relevant. NI has a lower population than the RoI. So, statistically, it would make sense that a greater number of under-12s are convicted here than there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Codoilgy and digs stop here please.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A girl I know works in one of those halfway house things for children. Most of the kids come from broken homes and have a history of physical abuse and / or drug abuse. She regularly gets attacked by some of the kids and before Christmas one of them tried to choke her to death with a rope. She still has the burn marks on her neck. The same child (16) was released to the care of his junkie mother for Christmas and she said she would be surprised if he makes it through the season as he will likely end up OD'ing with his mum. Sadly there is no hope for this child.

Jaysus, that's awful.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If the kid got a few smacks for misbehaving when he was younger he might have more of a sense of right from wrong and more respect for his own and others lives.

Oh, no doubt. But a stranger hitting him isn't really going to help. I'd say the kid in OP's case will just look for a person more vulnerable to attack. I've seen and heard about this before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

This message is hidden because zuroph is on your ignore list. :)
    So we're residing to childish hands over the ears "I can't hear you" stuff now when you've no good comeback to solid argument. Way to back up your case. But sure go on, post more videos of hippos taking ****es. That'll show us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭apache

Eh excuse me?
    I obviously inputted the spelling wrong. I meant to say sheltered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hmm, I never seen that on the forum charter, is there a limit on the amount of similes one is aloud use? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never mentioned any limits. I said you use them a lot, indicated again in your post there.

If someone around 18 or 19 confronts you with a knife, what would you do? I assume you have a plan of action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

zuroph wrote: »
    But sure go on, post more videos of hippos taking ****es. That'll show us.
    Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bruthal wrote: »
    Never mentioned any limits. I said you use them a lot, indicated again in your post there.

If someone around 18 or 19 confronts you with a knife, what would you do? I assume you have a plan of action?

Apparently, the right thing to do is let them stab you, and if you're still alive, try and get them to talk about why they are doing this.....:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Wheres the hippo?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder would people be saying the kid shouldn't have ben hit if it was a blood filled needle that was used?

Would they be having a crises of conscience about defending themselves whilst wondering if the kid had a tough upbringing?

I know personally I would hit to defend myself rather than have a 6 months wait to see if I got HIV from junkie blood.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    You asked for evidence of ten and twelve year olds being convicted and it was provided. Now you're completely discrediting it because of the origins of the evidence. Cop on, for fúck's sake.

Whether it happens in Ireland, China or on Mars doesn't matter. You asked for evidence of under-12s being convicted and it was provided. Just because the 100 people in my link are up North (still on the same landmass, by the way) instead of in the Republic doesn't mean there isn't under-12s convicted down here.

If anything, a link to NI figures is perfectly relevant. NI has a lower population than the RoI. So, statistically, it would make sense that a greater number of under-12s are convicted here than there.

How so?

Yes, I would RUN for my life. Then into something like a public toilet and call the coppers!

How so?

Are you seriously asking me how the population of Northern Ireland is smaller than our own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

dsmythy wrote: »
    End the cycle by being stabbed and dying on the street? OP maybe not a hero but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta you, even if that involves instinctively smacking a little runt in the face.

And if he was 10? 9? 6? 5? at what age do you refrain from flexing your muscles

Yes, I would RUN for my life. Then into something like a public toilet and call the coppers!

And if he catches you before you find a public toilet? A hard item to find when the emergency is only having to empty the bladder. What if you`re cornered, perhaps by two of them? Do your rules change then?

Has this happened you before? Would you let him stab you, after calmly taking the time to allow figuring out that you cant hit a "child" scumbag?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

What if a pimped up juggernaut crashes into your living room and dozens of machete wielding drug crazed 8 year olds swarm all over your sofa threatening to sacrifice you to yog shoggoth, eh? What then?

Are you seriously asking me how the population of Northern Ireland is smaller than our own?

I'd rather a link to be honest. But I suppose I could take your word for it.

And if he catches you before you find a public toilet? A hard item to find when the emergency is only having to empty the bladder. What if you`re cornered, perhaps by two of them? Do your rules change then?

Has this happened you before? Would you let him stab you, after calmly taking the time to allow figuring out that you cant hit a "child" scumbag?

I can run very very very very very very very very very very very very fast. Also if I didn't feel like running. I could just do some parkour and Vanish! :cool:

You must be having a laugh now.

No, when I'm laughing I use the following; :D or :pac:.

Did you see a smiley? No, I was not laughing...

I can run very very very very very very very very very very very very fast. Also if I didn't feel like running. I could just do some parkour and Vanish! :cool:

No, when I'm laughing I use the following; :D or :pac:.

Did you see a smiley? No, I was not laughing...

I can see how you might see it all from a 12 year old`s point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

For what it's worth , all the conjecture that he should have ran , he should have talked the kid out of it , he should have plied him with a packet of haribo etc ; the op was faced with a very dangerous situation which he had to instantly react to . The moral matadors of boards.ie were not on hand to diffuse the situation . He had a choice to make that he has laid out , it wasn't a 5 yr old , it wasn't a kid missing a leg it was a genuine threat that was imminent in his opinion if he didn't take the course of action he did . Nobody here is condoning vigilante style hooliganism outside local creches when they finish their day but the choice was clear for him in the situation he faced he had to put the little scut down . I don't think he riverdanced on his skull or anything so I certainly don't feel he went overboard .

I can see how you might see it all from a 12 year old`s point of view.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Link?

Mod

Enough, please don't post on this thread any more.

• Advertisement

I think we can all agree from looking at BUBBLE WRAP's latest posts that he's accepted that he's wrong and has resorted to poor attempts at trolling. Time to move on, folks.

Advertisement