Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Confab wrote: »

A few heavy boots could very easily have killed the kid and the OP would be up for manslaughter. Maybe that's acceptable in Athlone, but not in the rest of Ireland.
    If a 12 year old kid came at me with a knife...hes gonna get a kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

''Is your're child hyperactive, or is he perhaps a twat ?''

- Nigel Blackwell - Half Man Half Biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Jeez... This is still going ? Should make it into the hits of 2012 so :)
    How do we know it's true though? :/

Only my word for it, but if it wasn't true I wouldn't have been posting about jelly legs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ha. I just got it. "Oh you ate one too"

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

OP, I hope you have recovered from this, your original post sounded like you suffered a serious shock.
    To all the people defending the child, can I ask, at what age do you draw the line? What age is childhood moot as an excuse for bad behaviour? Do you let children run riot until the age of , lets say 14, then try and reign in their behaviour?
    the child was 10 and pulled a knife! The child got what they deserved, sounds like discipline was a long time coming to the little scrote, unfortunately, he probably wore any bruise you gave him as a badge of honour.
    Hopefully though, your reaction saved at least one other person being put in the same situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If a 12 year old kid came at me with a knife...hes gonna get a kicking.

Oh, Steady on there Rocky.. :rolleyes:

fupduck wrote: »
    OP, I hope you have recovered from this, your original post sounded like you suffered a serious shock.
    To all the people defending the child, can I ask, at what age do you draw the line? What age is childhood moot as an excuse for bad behaviour? Do you let children run riot until the age of , lets say 14, then try and reign in their behaviour?
    the child was 10 and pulled a knife! The child got what they deserved, sounds like discipline was a long time coming to the little scrote, unfortunately, he probably wore any bruise you gave him as a badge of honour.
    Hopefully though, your reaction saved at least one other person being put in the same situation

I have thanks. Went through some weird emotions for about a week or so, fear, denial, bravado etc. Over it now though. Have seen the little scrote a couple of times since & he crosses the road or turns & goes the other way when he spots me. A refreshing change but I wouldn't be letting my guard down !

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

good on ya,

regardless what age the little scumbag was he held a knife to another person so deserved a slap or 2

well done

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

This thread is a joke at this stage. Close it up mods!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

How has this received so many thanks?

I really don't get it. I've seen way better threads.

Because, quite simply, there's a lot of people out there who have had enough and are so frustrated with feeling helpless and impotent. Suddenly, there is a light at the end of the tunnel - we can express our silent scream at the wickedness of humanity.

Punch a ten year old in the face. It's simple and makes you feel good about yourself. And you'll have people clamouring to buy you a pint, clap you on the back and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Duzzer wrote: »
    This thread is a joke at this stage. Close it up mods!

Em i dont find it a joke, i think its highlighting a big problem in todays society and fair play to op for standing up for himself and hopefully taught that coward a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Regardless of whether this incident actually happened the fact is that situations like this do happen all over the country on a daily basis.

These weedy little hoodie wearing runts ofton go around in gangs threatening people just going about their daily business or else hang around chippers and video shops trying to intimidate people going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

OU812 wrote: »
    Heading into work, headphones on, head down. A kid about 10 or 12 stepped in front of me @ said something. Took off the headphones & he pulled a knife out & said "gimme yet f**ken' money & phone or F**ken' I'll stick ya".

I've never hit anyone before, don't know where it came from but I just lashed out, punched him straight in the face & he ended up on his back. I legged it & am sitting here, feeling like I'm gonna puke with a very sore hand & legs like jelly.

Someone buy this man a pint, as much for his action as his restraint. Fair play to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

3 more thanks till it hits 1000!
    Come on people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

phill106 wrote: »
    3 more thanks till it hits 1000!
    Come on people

I gave the 1,000th thanks. Do I get a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I gave the 1,000th thanks. Do I get a prize?

A kick in the face?

Holy crap, over a thousand thanks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Can I try to explain this situation and in turn all of life's events to the quite frankly delusional people on here disagreeing with the action the op took to stop himself from being stabbed.

See the little knacker boy is an Asshole

and the OP might be a Dick...

But you whinging, turn the other cheek, oh god think of the children absolving them of any blame and forever teaching them they are not solely responsible for their actions are Pussies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I thought I unsubscribed to this thread... :confused:

Anywho, scum or not, hitting a child under the age of 18 is child abuse..

Protecting yourself from an individual who is threatening to stab you is most certainly not child abuse, and to describe it as such belittles the expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Legend of the boards?

• Advertisement

yupya1 wrote: »
    But you whinging, turn the other cheek, oh god think of the children absolving them of any blame and forever teaching them they are not solely responsible for their actions are Pussies!

Nobody is "turning the other cheek" or "absolving them of any blame". But punching a ten year old, regardless of the context, does not make someone a hero, a board legend or anything remotely similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

what the op did to get himself out of danger was perfectly acceptable in my eyes . What was he supposed to do ? talk this kid out of possibly knifing him ? He got himself out if harms way the best way possible . The only way he'd have gone overboard is if he'd continued giving the kid a beating or turning the knife on the kid .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭XxKathyxX

Heading into work, headphones on, head down. A kid about 10 or 12 stepped in front of me @ said something. Took off the headphones & he pulled a knife out & said "gimme yet f**ken' money & phone or F**ken' I'll stick ya".

I've never hit anyone before, don't know where it came from but I just lashed out, punched him straight in the face & he ended up on his back. I legged it & am sitting here, feeling like I'm gonna puke with a very sore hand & legs like jelly.

When i saw the title i was like, you evil bastard! :mad: Now im like, wwoooooooooooop go you! :):D Take care love! x :)

xoxo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Oh lord, 10 or 12 with a knife? What's the world coming to, lol - nice job!

iFergal wrote: »
    Oh lord, 10 or 12 with a knife? What's the world coming to, lol - nice job!

Ten year olds and younger have been brandishing weapons since time began. The world has always been this way, unless you live in ivory towers. Child soldiers, child criminals, etc are a tragic fact of life.

"Nice job" - yes, well done, encourage the cycle to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

old hippy wrote: »
    Ten year olds and younger have been brandishing weapons since time began. The world has always been this way, unless you live in ivory towers. Child soldiers, child criminals, etc are a tragic fact of life.

When I said "what is this world coming to", it was just an expression, lol. I'm aware of the likes of child soldiers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

When I first read the title I thought this will be interesting
    After readin what happened id like to say that's the biggest load of **** I've ever read
    No person would feel guilty for defending themselves no matter who the attacker is
    And I've had someone try rob me before with a screwdriver and they never talked like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In fairness, the op reacted to a threat and felt bad afterwards. It's not like the op went out intentionally to punch a "child". If you want to have a go at anyone for encouraging the cycle to continue, you probably have to look no further than the child's parents who will have toughened him up by rearing him in an environment of aggression with physical/verbal abuse. A generalisation on my part yes but usually 10/12 year old kids who grow up in a stable environment don't suddenly pick up a knife one day and threaten a grown man.

Maybe the smack from the op might have thought the kid a lesson that other people will stand up for themselves and he might think twice about doing it again. In that instance, the op has discouraged the cycle to continue. Whatever is going on in that lad's life, the op simply reacted to one moment in it. As others have said, if he had kicked the living daylights out of him, he would be in the wrong. He did what he had to do to get away. I don't know what I would do myself in that situation. Probably crap myself :o

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    In fairness, the op reacted to a threat and felt bad afterwards. It's not like the op went out intentionally to punch a "child". If you want to have a go at anyone for encouraging the cycle to continue, you probably have to look no further than the child's parents who will have toughened him up by rearing him in an environment of aggression with physical/verbal abuse. A generalisation on my part yes but usually 10/12 year old kids who grow up in a stable environment don't suddenly pick up a knife one day and threaten a grown man.

Maybe the smack from the op might have thought the kid a lesson that other people will stand up for themselves and he might think twice about doing it again. In that instance, the op has discouraged the cycle to continue. Whatever is going on in that lad's life, the op simply reacted to one moment in it. As others have said, if he had kicked the living daylights out of him, he would be in the wrong. He did what he had to do to get away. I don't know what I would do myself in that situation. Probably crap myself :o

I hear you but I don't think that kid will suddenly veer towards a stable environment after that episode. He may well gravitate towards guns in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I hear you but I don't think that kid will suddenly veer towards a stable environment after that episode. He may well gravitate towards guns in the future.
    So what was the appropriate response do you think? Give him what he asked for? Turn and run, given the child was apparently quite close that risked getting stabbed in the back.
    I'm curious what all the naysayers think they would do in his place.

Advertisement