Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

End the cycle by being stabbed and dying on the street? OP maybe not a hero but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta you, even if that involves instinctively smacking a little runt in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

dsmythy wrote: »
    End the cycle by being stabbed and dying on the street? OP maybe not a hero but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta you, even if that involves instinctively smacking a little child in the face.

Fixed that for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Fixed that for you!

How exactly? It doesn't matter if he was 15 or 50. If my life was in danger I would gladly hit a child if he was a little scumbag that threatened to kill me!

areyawell wrote: »
    How exactly? It doesn't matter if he was 15 or 50. If my life was in danger I would gladly kill a child if he was a little scumbag that was trying to kill me!

a child is defined as anyone under the age of 18.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

"Scumbag" or not, it was a child. No matter what way you or anyone else here try's to change it, to make an attack on a child seem normal. :rolleyes:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

"Scumbag" or not, it was a child. No matter what way you or anyone else here try's to change it, to make an attack on a child seem normal. :rolleyes:

Hitting a child armed with a knife and of unknown stabbing reliability is a normal reaction when confronted suddenly. Hitting an unarmed runt few would class as normal.

• Advertisement

Hitting a child armed with a knife and of unknown stabbing reliability is a normal reaction when confronted suddenly. Hitting an unarmed runt few would class as normal.

Care to elaborate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Care to elaborate? :)

You're walking down the street and are suddenly confronted with someone wielding a knife. Freezing on the spot while being removed of your belongings, running away, and striking out are three legitimate sudden reactions to match the sudden confrontation. Doesn't matter who it is with the knife. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Phoenix wrote: »
    So when's the medal awarding ceremony for the op?:pac:

It's a serious amount thanks's's's. Give a young scut a clout, boards says thanks!:pac:

Its normal to defend yourself, regardless of age. What if the child was 16, and was built like a horse and started attacking you? Would you just stand there and left him kick the crap out of you or would you try and defend yourself by hitting him?

OP was in danger and his gut reaction was to hit him. An attack on a child isn't normal. If the child is hitting you or threatening to stab you, you get out of the situation by any means necessary!

Just because they are under 18 does not make them weak or innocent!

• Advertisement

You're walking down the street and are suddenly confronted with someone wielding a knife. Freezing on the spot while being removed of your belongings, running away, and striking out are three legitimate sudden reactions to match the sudden confrontation. Doesn't matter who it is with the knife. But that's just me.

Oh, but it does because it was a child. :)

Its normal to defend yourself, regardless of age. What if the child was 16, and was built like a horse and started attacking you? Would you just stand there and left him kick the crap out of you or would you try and defend yourself by hitting him?

OP was in danger and his gut reaction was to hit him. An attack on a child isn't normal. If the child is hitting you or threatening to stab you, you get out of the situation by any means necessary!

Just because they are under 18 does not make them weak or innocent!

No, but the jury wouldn't see it as self defense. You're just trying to sugar coat it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's a serious amount thanks's's's. Give a young scut a clout, boards says thanks!:pac:

I predict this thread will be locked before the OP becomes the most thanked post ever (I think it was the most thanked of 2012)

It would not look good for Boards to have their most thanked post titled ' I've just punched a child'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Sweet Jesus have mercy on your soul.

No, but the jury wouldn't see it as self defense. You're just trying to sugar coat it. :)

Of course the jury would see it as self defense!!! Why wouldn't they? Your the one trying to sugar coat it.

Oh, but it does because it was a child. :)

Maybe the law says so and boy do the little tearaways know it. I don't know what my reaction to the same situation would be but just as I wouldn't mock someone for running away from a 10 year old or being robbed by one I wouldn't condemn them for reacting with a single blow.

Sweet Jesus have mercy on your soul.

A very relevant post to this discussion. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

OP was confronted by an assailant with a knife, telling him he was going to use the knife on him. He quite rightly defended himself.

Makes no fewking difference what the age of the assailant was.

Of course the jury would see it as self defense!!! Why wouldn't they? Your the one trying to sugar coat it.

Na, when you punch a child, you'll be walking on the green mile... "Dead man walking on the green mile" "Dead man walking on the green mile"

Rangi wrote: »
    OP was confronted by an assailant with a knife, telling him he was going to use the knife on him. He quite rightly defended himself.

Makes no fewking difference what the age of the assailant was.

LOL! It wasn't saddam hussein. :pac:

• Advertisement

Na, when you punch a child, you'll be walking on the green mile... "Dead man walking on the green mile" "Dead man walking on the green mile"

?? Relevant point. Your just getting annoyed now because you know your wrong.

Do you think all people under 18 are frail and weak or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If it was, it would've been a zombie. And i think we all know, unless you're wearing thick gloves, you never punch a zombie in the face.

?? Relevant point. Your just getting annoyed now because you know your wrong.

Yup, indeed it is. :) If you prefer to jump on the bandwagon go on ahead. ;)

My point is though, that it was a child. Clearly when a grown man hits a child armed or not, it not looking good for the "defender".

Do you think all people under 18 are frail and weak or something?
    (from the OP) A kid about 10 or 12 stepped in front of me

Not all obviously..

But if it's a "10" or "12" year old, then yes, I do. :)

Grayson wrote: »
    If it was, it would've been a zombie. And i think we all know, unless you're wearing thick gloves, you never punch a zombie in the face.

:p:p

Not all obviously..

But if it's a "10" or "12" year old, then yes, I do. :)

My point is though, that it was a child. Clearly when a grown man hits a child armed or not, it not looking good for the "defender".

It all depends on the situation, if he wasn't carrying a knife you could tell em to **** off. If he tried to attack you, you could just restrain him. If he has a knife that's a different situation all together. And it will look good for the "defendant" regardless of age. Are you that thick?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/youth-held-after-garda-stabbed-at-festival-1855570.html

I suppose it was that guards fault he got stabbed was it. He should have kicking the crap out of the youth with a baton when he seen the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

i'd have punched him twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Fair enough. Let the child stab you to death. Go to your grave being smug that nobody will look at you disapprovingly because you defended yourself.

I would choose to defend myself, but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

No, he had WMD's. Do you not read the papers?

Advertisement