Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

No, but the jury wouldn't see it as self defense. You're just trying to sugar coat it. :)

Who cares what the fúcking jury thinks? I'd much rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

areyawell wrote: »
    It all depends on the situation, if he wasn't carrying a knife you could tell em to **** off. If he tried to attack you, you could just restrain him. If he has a knife that's a different situation all together. And it will look good for the "defendant" regardless of age. Are you that thick?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/youth-held-after-garda-stabbed-at-festival-1855570.html

I suppose it was that guards fault he got stabbed was it. He should have kicking the crap out of the youth with a baton when he seen the knife.

Oh aren't we getting personal, did I hit a nerve? ;)

As for your link, that "youth" could have been 16 or 17.. Different situation there. But this chap that confronted the OP, was "10" or "12". Now I can't see a 10 or 12 year old been scary armed with a knife or not. If this even did happen. :rolleyes:

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Who cares what the fúcking jury thinks? I'd much rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

A fair point. :)

Rangi wrote: »
    No, he had WMD's. Do you not read the papers?

Ah now come on, this is getting silly now. How is a knife classed as a Weapon of mass destruction. :D

Now I can't see a 10 or 12 year old been scary armed with a knife or not. If this even did happen. :rolleyes:

How scary a twelve year old is (with or without a weapon) is completely irrelevant when you're being rushed to hospital with stab wounds.

• Advertisement

How scary a twelve year old is (with or without a weapon) is completely irrelevant when you're being rushed to hospital with stab wounds.

What if it was a 10 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭apache

Theres plenty of 12 yr olds with hundreds of convictions. Just take a spin up to oberstown to check them out. If they are taking drugs and drink at that stage and doing adult crimes they deserve more than a punch.

He would have been let off anyway so good for the op for giving him a dig. Maybe he'll think twice now before putting it up to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

I wonder would the do gooders congratulate the op if the thread read "stabbed in stomach by a child" .

"Just walking to work some kid walks up to me with a knife . Having more regard for opinions of boards.ie members than my own life I decided to let him stab me for fear of defending myself and having to justify it . writing this from comfort of a trolley in a lovely hospital . hope the little scallywag realised he has been bold and his mother sends him to bed with no spuds tonight . actually that's awful that'd be cruelty to the little guy . hope he didn't hurt his hand as he drove knife into my stomach.

regards"

apache wrote: »
    Theres plenty of 12 yr olds with hundreds of convictions. Just take a spin up to oberstown to check them out. If they are taking drugs and drink at that stage and doing adult crimes they deserve more than a punch.

He would have been let off anyway so good for the op for giving him a dig. Maybe he'll think twice now before putting it up to someone else.

Link?

Also how many 10 year old's? Link also if you have it handy...

What if it was a 10 year old?

Oh, very well...
    Zomg Okay wrote:
    How scary a twelve or ten year old is (with or without a weapon) is completely irrelevant when you're being rushed to hospital with stab wounds.

There. Happy now?

• Advertisement

Oh, very well...

There. Happy now?

No, where is the link for your accusation??
    Theres plenty of 12 yr olds with hundreds of convictions.

Waiting....

No, where is the link for your accusation??

Waiting....

You're so busy stubbornly refusing to accept that you're wrong that you seem to have mistaken me for someone else.

But since you ask so nicely, a quick Google search pulled this up:
    Almost 100 children aged between 10 and 12-years-old were convicted of crimes in Northern Ireland over a five year period, The Detail can reveal today.

During the same period, over 550 young people aged between 13 and 17 were sentenced to custody.

There you go, some evidence for apache's argument.

Source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

You're so busy stubbornly refusing to accept that you're wrong that you seem to have mistaken me for someone else.

But since you ask so nicely, a quick Google search pulled this up:

There you go, some evidence for apache's argument.

Source
    areyawell wrote: »

More abuse there, areyawell. Can't say I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

Meh! None of them links are from Irish websites or papers. This ain't Australia, northern Ireland, America or England. :) This is the republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

More abuse there, areyawell. Can't say I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

Meh! None of them links are from Irish websites or papers. This ain't Australia, northern Ireland, America or England. :) This is the republic of Ireland.

So we're not allowed take anything published from outside Ireland as evidence? kids are kids

Your location is "Stateside". Should we ignore you too?

zuroph wrote: »
    So we're not allowed take anything published from outside Ireland as evidence? kids are kids

Your location is "Stateside". Should we ignore you too?

Well if we were talking about Irish road deaths for example. It wouldn't really make sense to pick random article from the net. "Oh in tokyo, only 20% wears seat belts. Must be the reason Irish road deaths are so high here.."

Feel free to ignore me if you wish. I couldn't give two hoots. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

a child is defined as anyone under the age of 18.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

"Scumbag" or not, it was a child. No matter what way you or anyone else here try's to change it, to make an attack on a child seem normal. :rolleyes:

Funny you seem to use the roll eyes a lot. Sort of ironic, as is the use of "normal" in your post there.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Funny you seem to use the roll eyes a lot. Sort of ironic, as is the use of "normal" in your post there.

Hmm, I never seen that on the forum charter, is there a limit on the amount of similes one is aloud use? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, indeed it is. :) If you prefer to jump on the bandwagon go on ahead. ;)

My point is though, that it was a child. Clearly when a grown man hits a child armed or not, it not looking good for the "defender".
    Since the majority here seen to disagree with you, on a large enough sample size, seems the jury would find in OPs favour too.
    The issue isn't the definition of child, its of self defence. A child pulled a weapon, defender used reasonable force, diffused situation, and escaped.

Since the majority here seen to disagree with you, on a large enough sample size, seems the jury would find in OPs favour too.
    The issue isn't the definition of child, its of self defence. A child pulled a weapon, defender used reasonable force, diffused situation, and escaped.

Yup, a lot of people on the band wagon indeed. :)

• Advertisement

Popular opinion, bandwagon or not, is what makes decisions in a court of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

the first post must be up there in the most thanked posts ever!

Popular opinion, bandwagon or not, is what makes decisions in a court of law.

Well, certainly not in an Irish court of law. When ever I read a thread on boards that involves an Irish court of law. the amount of post which included: "that's our Justice system for you" so I'd say the jury would favor the child. Child safety and all that.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Have to laugh at the poster who badgers and badgers the guy into producing figures of crimes committed by under 12s. He actually keeps baiting him with 'waiting...' etc and then when the guy produces figures for a few places it's not good enough! I mean he gets stats from Northern Ireland but that's not good enough. I'm sure if he got numbers from Cork it wouldn't be sufficient. Just accept that there are little sh*ts out there who will do this type of thing and be happy ya didn't have to deal with it yourself.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the poster who badgers and badgers the guy into producing figures of crimes committed by under 12s. He actually keeps baiting him with 'waiting...' etc and then when the guy produces figures for a few places it's not good enough! I mean he gets stats from Northern Ireland but that's not good enough. I'm sure if he got numbers from Cork it wouldn't be sufficient. Just accept that there are little sh*ts out there who will do this type of thing and be happy ya didn't have to deal with it yourself.

Well, certainly not in an Irish court of law. When ever I read a thread on boards that involves an Irish court of law. the amount of post which included: "that's our Justice system for you" so I'd say the jury would favor the child. Child safety and all that.. :)
    The giving it is usually down to the punishment handed down by judge.jury is popular opinion/majority

The giving it is usually down to the punishment handed down by judge.jury is popular opinion/majority

What punishment would you think the child would have gotten if OP brought him to court? a slap on the wrist I'd rekon.

What punishment would you think the child would have gotten if OP brought him to court? a slap on the wrist I'd rekon.
    Id like to think the question would be asked of why the kid is not at school and is wandering the streets with a knife, but its irrelevant what punishment he would have gotten. The OP defended himself with appropriate force. Only the child was guilty of a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭apache

BUBBLEWRAP you won't find any evidence online as criminals under 18 are protected by the childrens act. I work in a juvenile deliquent centre and am in court every day. They cannot be named as they are protected which is a load of BS.
    At age 14 they have raped and murdered but you won't hear about it as reporters are not allowed in to protect their identity.

Take a trip to smithfield childrens court any day of the week and open your eyes. You must live a very shelteted life? See how many convictions they actually have to rack up in order to get a sentence.

One division in the institution is packed full of rapists. Yes "children" rapists. Most of the rest are in for murder, assault, theft, drugs and robbery.

They are all children in the eyes of the law so its like butlins to them. There is no deterrent and the same people are in again and again and again.

I can't give you links as its illegal to do so. But maybe research a bit into oberstown, trinity house and st patrick's institution.

This treat them with kid gloves attitude especially with the introduction of childrens ombudsman etc is a disaster. They get to stick two fingers up to everyone!

• Advertisement

apache wrote: »
    BUBBLEWRAP you won't find any evidence online as criminals under 18 are protected by the childrens act. I work in a juvenile deliquent centre and am in court every day. They cannot be named as they are protected which is a load of BS.
    At age 14 they have raped and murdered but you won't hear about it as reporters are not allowed in to protect their identity.

Take a trip to smithfield childrens court any day of the week and open your eyes. You must live a very shelteted life? See how many convictions they actually have to rack up in order to get a sentence.

One division in the institution is packed full of rapists. Yes "children" rapists. Most of the rest are in for murder, assault, theft, drugs and robbery.

They are all children in the eyes of the law so its like butlins to them. There is no deterrent and the same people are in again and again and again.

I can't give you links as its illegal to do so. But maybe research a bit into oberstown, trinity house and st patrick's institution.

This treat them with kid gloves attitude especially with the introduction of childrens ombudsman etc is a disaster. They get to stick two fingers up to everyone!

Eh excuse me?

Advertisement