Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Although... I did promise the fiance that if it snows before Christmas I would get her the puppy she continues to "hound" me over. I'm starting to hope for it AFTER Christmas to avoid it. Late December would be better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm not sure what you mean either :confused:The charts continue to show wintry potential and for the last week we have seen constant low digit temps. I know everyone's standard for something being interesting is different but compared to last year what is developing is interesting to me and to plenty of others.

The first bolded part can be explained by the fact that it's winter, Temps usually fall at this time of the year.

The second bolded part, What's developing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah now Baraca ...easy on the logic. Ramping IS allowed in here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ah now Baraca ...easy on the logic. Ramping IS allowed in here. :)

Sorry my post was moved into here, Was originally in the model discussion thread! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

the start of the Winter at least, (December) looks quite cold with a lot of frosty nights and some wintry showers.

Even in 2010 the showers were not all of snow and they just made the place look Christmassy. Nothin like the frozen hailstones to do that.

So it could be a quite icy scenario

The charts look like an endless stream of air from the NW puntuated by some short drier spells and the odd milder day. A bit like our Summers. But the Summers were 14 or 15c whereas that scenario in the Winter is about 5 or 6c by day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

baraca wrote: »

The first bolded part can be explained by the fact that it's winter, Temps usually fall at this time of the year.

The second bolded part, What's developing?

We are running below average so far, so it is not normal.

Whats developing? Well a beautiful greeny high is starting to develop at +120hrs on the GFS 12z and we are in a full on northerly by +180hrs... :)

UKMO is similiar but not as good as GFS at +144hrs.

This is caused by a segment of the pv moving out of greenland- this is showing on all models and is almost into the reliable timeframe.

EDIT : GFS manages to make a mess of it with shortwaves all over the place around svalbard- we still end up with a scandi high and easterly way out in FI though, just like we have for the past 4/5 GFS runs in FI.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I had some sleet yesterday morning, I am so gutted that misses the West Midlands :(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Why are we not getting the same as the Uk this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Guys what are your predictions for Thursday nights system. Mt has mentioned it could turn to sleet or wet snow. Farming weather today mentions sleet as it's coming from a cold source and finally the brits expect it to be wintry too?

In Scotland and Northern England the frosts have been worse this weekend than they have been in Ireland. The front is pushing in when the ground and air are very cold and at night time. It's very slow moving so the slightly milder air hasn't been able to flush out the cold as quickly as normal. That being said temperatures fell down to -6.5 in Katesbridge Co.down last night.
    Fear not winters only beginning

• Advertisement

Guys what are your predictions for Thursday nights system. Mt has mentioned it could turn to sleet or wet snow. Farming weather today mentions sleet as it's coming from a cold source and finally the brits expect it to be wintry too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Same reason we don't get the same as New Zealand. We are in geographically different locations.

@Nabbernice nice charts. I would never say that we might not see a 2010 winter in our lifetime, for all we know we could be heading in to a period of cooler winters, that said we mightn't see it again in our life time lol.
    At least it trending towards cold and not mild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Weathering wrote: »
    @Nabbernice nice charts. I would never say that we might not see a 2010 winter in our lifetime, for all we know we could be heading in to a period of cooler winters, that said we mightn't see it again in our life time lol.
    At least it trending towards cold and not mild

People forget so easily that it was only the east coast that got lots of snow in 2010, everywhere else in ireland was very 'meh' and there was nothing exceptional (apart from the cold temps). In 2010 snowfall in my area (tipperary) was just your average winter dusting and certainly will not be remembered as anything exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

MUSEIST wrote: »

People forget so easily that it was only the east coast that got lots of snow in 2010, everywhere else in ireland was very 'meh' and there was nothing exceptional (apart from the cold temps). In 2010 snowfall in my area (tipperary) was just your average winter dusting and certainly will not be remembered as anything exceptional.
    Don't forget the North and West in the second bout of cold in 2010. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

I don't know why we are all getting our hopes up, charts have been showing nice things in FI for quite a while now and nothing too interesting has happened as of yet.

I'd be happy enough with daytime temps of 1-3 degrees and some nice blue skies at least it would feel festive in comparison to last year, I don't think we are in the right part of the world to be hoping too much for snow (Particularly in Cork where I live!).

I don't know why we are all getting our hopes up, charts have been showing nice things in FI for quite a while now and nothing too interesting has happened as of yet.

I'd be happy enough with daytime temps of 1-3 degrees and some nice blue skies at least it would feel festive in comparison to last year, I don't think we are in the right part of the world to be hoping too much for snow (Particularly in Cork where I live!).

I emphasis with you so much. I couldn't hack living in Cork in winter simply because of the slim slim chance of snow. Not meaning to rub it in but Donegal ain't too shabby for a bit of the white stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭corksurfer2005

Weathering wrote: »
    I emphasis with you so much. I couldn't hack living in Cork in winter simply because of the slim slim chance of snow. Not meaning to rub it in but Donegal ain't too shabby for a bit of the white stuff

As the crow flies I'm about 6 miles from Roches Point, whenever you are having a look at Met Eireann's latest temps keep an eye out for it, it's almost always a good few degrees higher in winter and lower in summer :'(

Having said that I empathise with you for having to live in Donegal, there's literally nothing there and it's miles from anywhere! :pac:

As the crow flies I'm about 6 miles from Roches Point, whenever you are having a look at Met Eireann's latest temps keep an eye out for it, it's almost always a good few degrees higher in winter and lower in summer :'(

Having said that I empathise with you for having to live in Donegal, there's literally nothing there and it's miles from anywhere! :pac:

Haha I left myself open for that. The higher percentage of snow days certainly makes up for the ruralness of it. Plenty of tae and whiskey too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Ye have the best fishing and accent in Ireland so 2 outta 3 ain't bad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Our first dusting of the white stuff (apart from frost) this Winter. I am due to leave at 5am for a flight to Gatwick :(
    013uij.jpg

Took this yesterday in our back garden

109tk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Our first dusting of the white stuff (apart from frost) this Winter. I am due to leave at 5am for a flight to Gatwick :(
    013uij.jpg

Took this yesterday in our back garden

109tk.jpg
    Why are you residing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

red_bairn wrote: »
    Why are you residing?
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say he's in Glasgow!:)
    Thought that said where!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

zidewayz wrote: »
    Kippure? No it is Co Dublin. Right on the border of Wicklow and north of the Wicklow mountains. Snowline approx 650m asl but ascending quickly. You can guarantee more snow in Wicklow mountains if there is snow on kippure.
    In all fairness, Kippure is actually in Wicklow. The summit is in Wicklow. At least 70% of the mountain is in Wicklow. Dublin has some nice hills though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Gee_G wrote: »
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say he's in Glasgow!:)
    Thought that said where!!!!
    XD...it was suppose to say 'where'...not sure how that* happened.

Did it again while typing. I said "they" instead of that.

I should really note his name. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

red_bairn wrote: »
    XD...it was suppose to say 'where'...not sure how that* happened.

Did it again while typing. I said "they" instead of that.

I should really note his name. ;)

Its ok,its deceiving without the "W" at the end :D Could mean anything :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Coles wrote: »
    In all fairness, Kippure is actually in Wicklow. The summit is in Wicklow. At least 70% of the mountain is in Wicklow. Dublin has some nice hills though...

So what you're saying is it's in Wicklow and Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Really happy here , to hear that we are not going to have snow this winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Coles wrote: »

Correct. Dotted line is the border.

231151.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Arrrrgh, it seems to be snowing in every part of Glasgow other than the bit I'm in judging by my Facebook feed...which is very annoying!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement