Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's a bloody cold 0* in Tallaght right now.
    My car is covered in hundreds of tiny ice beads.
    28t7xtt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

-1 right now in stamullen.was -3 last night and temp only reached 3c for short periods today....brrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I don't know why some people are accusing this forums resident experts of ramping. I started regularily reading the netweather model threads a few days ago. Our lads here are paragons of level headedness by comparison. Its not ramping to make people aware of the very real possibility of snow that the models were showing nor is it ramping to discuss those models. I am sick of people accusing our lads of overhyping things. In the last week or two there were people giving out that a storm system had been overhyped. WTF! The models were suggesting the possibility. Our lads were discussing the models. If mere discussion is now considered ramping or hyping then we may as well tell the lads to go off to a private forum to discuss the models and only post anything here when its 100% certain. Does anyone want that. We wont learn anything that way. People need to get it into there head that this forum is not specifically a weather forecasting forum. Its a weather enthusiasts forum. If you only come here for a forecast then confine yourself to MT's daily forcast thread and stop bloody reading the Hype model discussion threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

So I am apparently the only person to find today cold and wintry?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

You guys kidding ? is like -2 here that's cold for Ireland :) + some of us will see sleet tomorrow not too bad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I did,but in fairness I did drive across a mountain,experienced first snow of the winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

Today was pretty cold up on Kippure. Plenty of snow remaining from the other days snowfall. Hopefully signs of the winter to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

zidewayz wrote: »
    Today was pretty cold up on Kippure.

You must love that Samoyed a lot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Today was pretty cold up on Kippure. Plenty of snow remaining from the other days snowfall. Hopefully signs of the winter to come.

I love those dogs. <3

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You must love that Samoyed a lot. :D

Sure do.. Perfect companion for hiking especially during the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Report on AA Roadwatch on the radio this morning of 'light snow showers near Twomileborris'....

....sent text to AA Roadwatch....pictures of GTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Larbre34 wrote: »
    BWS should be BullSh*t Weather

How does a so called professional weather advisor to organisations get involved in such daft wish-casting and scaremongering

Winter forecasting and preparation should be this simple:

1) Its winter time, have all the utensils on standby that you might need to cope with frost, ice, snow, flooding or high winds, as an organisation or a private individual.

2) The UK Met / Met É will tell you with a day or two's notice when you might need to use them, and from that perspective they will be 80% right. If they're wrong, no harm no foul, stay calm and carry on, there might be more weather tomorrow.

Levels of professionalism go down as the amount of money paid goes up!
    Maybe one of their clients are the AA. Paid to put out a hyped forecast just as the AA start a campaign to sell their Winter insurance. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

is that Wicklow?

Rasmus wrote: »

is that Wicklow?

No it is Co Dublin. Right on the border of Wicklow and north of the Wicklow mountains. Snowline approx 650m asl but ascending quickly. You can guarantee more snow in Wicklow mountains if there is snow on kippure.

If the snow doesn't come to me I will go to the snow. Had two or three trips up there last year with snow dispite a mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭martin.covan

Rasmus wrote: »

is that Wicklow?
    yeah,that's wicklow.
    I live up at 700ft in the south west of the county and can see lug naquilla and it is completely white.
    With binoculars it looks impressive,looks several inches deep right across the mountain,everything covered.
    It's like the alps up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The boarder runs just about through the summit of Kippure. So Dublin owns the northern half whilst Wicklow has the southern half!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

yeah,that's wicklow.
    I live up at 700ft in the south west of the county and can see lug naquilla and it is completely white.
    With binoculars it looks impressive,looks several inches deep right across the mountain,everything covered.
    It's like the alps up there

Wow I'd love to be there!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The boarder runs just about through the summit of Kippure. So Dublin owns the northern half whilst Wicklow has the southern half!

Yip. Correct.

Had that argument on here a couple of years ago with all the Wickla lads trying claim all the snow for themselves! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Hope we get some interesting weather soon. Mt's hint at possible severe gusts early next week are something to cling to in this otherwise drab period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

RTE are hinting at the 2nd half of next week to get cold again.........by the way were is a good place (mountain) that is easily accessible to get to ie drive then walk....that will have snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

RTE are hinting at the 2nd half of next week to get cold again.........by the way were is a good place (mountain) that is easily accessible to get to ie drive then walk....that will have snow :)
    Everest has snow, but it's quite a long walk from the car.

slowburner wrote: »
    Everest has snow, but it's quite a long walk from the car.

but seriously were in the dublin wicklow are would have snow 200m or higher.......?

but seriously were in the dublin wicklow are would have snow 200m or higher.......?

Kippure is the best as long as the Military Road stays open, it's only about 13-20 minute drive from Tallaght and you're on pretty high ground.

Here's the route, which takes you through bog land which is likely to have a fair bit of snow during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, a lot higher. The easiest to get to right now is Kippure.....the mountain, not the Boardsie!!! You need to park your car near the gate from the main road - https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.166019,-6.294394&spn=0.021225,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.166056,-6.294279&panoid=_BlEAG16DTAjzNPZQ2fvCg&cbp=12,294.73,,0,0.42 - You can figure out how to get that point from that link. You're at about 500m at that point. I doubt there'll be much, if any snow there. Maybe frost but that would be it, I would reckon. The summit of Kippure is about 750m so somewhere between where you parked your car and the summit, you will cross the snowline....probably. Technically the road may belong to RTE so I am unsure of the legalities of walking along the road. I'm a television engineer (don't work for RTE though) and have driven to the summit before but I don't think the gate is open much these days.....not at weekends anyway

highdef wrote: »
    Yes, a lot higher. The easiest to get to right now is Kippure.....the mountain, not the Boardsie!!! You need to park your car near the gate from the main road - https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.166019,-6.294394&spn=0.021225,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.166056,-6.294279&panoid=_BlEAG16DTAjzNPZQ2fvCg&cbp=12,294.73,,0,0.42 - You can figure out how to get that point from that link. You're at about 500m at that point. I doubt there'll be much, if any snow there. Maybe frost but that would be it, I would reckon. The summit of Kippure is about 750m so somewhere between where you parked your car and the summit, you will cross the snowline....probably. Technically the road may belong to RTE so I am unsure of the legalities of walking along the road. I'm a television engineer (don't work for RTE though) and have driven to the summit before but I don't think the gate is open much these days.....not at weekends anyway
    is it safe to park a car there

is it safe to park a car there

You hear of all sorts in the mountains.
    Just don't leave anything valuable in sight inside the car and you should be alright.
    There's a fair bit of traffic over the road and it's in plain view so no one could spend too long messing at the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

CianRyan wrote: »
    You hear of all sorts in the mountains.
    Just don't leave anything valuable in sight inside the car and you should be alright.
    There's a fair bit of traffic over the road and it's in plain view so no one could spend too long messing at the car.

and check the back of your car when you get back incase larry murphy is hiding in it waiting for you !! he's always hangin about in the mountains .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just posting a friendly reminder in all winter-related threads that the

Third Annual Winter Forecast Contest

is open for entries but late penalties will apply starting Sunday 2nd December.

This is available in a separate thread on the weather forum. Thanks.

Note also that the Monthly forecast contest for December is open, with the same deadline, and for 2013 we have added a third form of competition to our existing annual contests, namely seasonal contests which will run from Dec 2012 to Nov 2013 in the four traditional seasons, and this will also produce an annual champion. See the thread for details (which are posted today rather than in the original post).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Would a Volcano eruption effect the weather patterns elsewhere in the world?

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    Would a Volcano eruption effect the weather patterns elsewhere in the world?

Depends on the size of the eruption I'm imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement