Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Not such a positive ending! Oh well another 12 hours for the next ECM spectacle..

Still a bit better than this time yesterday when all seemed to be lost. Hopefully the GFS will be kind later to cheer us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

pauldry wrote: »
    met eireann have changed their weather forecast 3 times today!

2 to minus 2c this morning for tonight

0 to 2c this afternoon for tonight

now 1 to 4c for tonight

crazy

met eireann ha ha thats a laugh i never trust wat they say. as u said they cant make up there mind even wen its going to snow they hate to say it its like they are afraid to mention the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

met eireann ha ha thats a laugh i never trust wat they say. as u said they cant make up there mind even wen its going to snow they hate to say it its like they are afraid to mention the word.
    Met Eireann dont do populist headline grabbing xxxx they use their computer model input and forecasting experience as best they can to tell how the outcomes are most likely to be, its very easy to bash them and celebrate others on the rare occasions that their outcomes differ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

I'm not giving up on a cold snap until after t96 and if the blocking breaks down after that point. Fact is its still holding its own at the moment, plus there are differing views from various models regarding the viability of the block, so I guess its an unbiased 50/50 at this stage. If come Thursday the Atlantic breaks through then I will modify my personal expectations for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I want to use my 6,000th post to say....I hope we have a White Christmas this year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Keep the faith lads, this thing isnt over yet.

I strongly favour an outcome similar to the JMA

Cold air embedded followed by sliding lows from the Atlantic, it may turning slightly less cold at times but with cold air always just to our north and east.

I do not see a zonal blow out anytime soon and the UKM/JMA outcome appears the most likely IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's UKMO saying at the moment? Still sticking to their cold forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Jean Byrne just after saying -5 and Very Cold and its only the last week in November. Perspective lads, we're not doing badly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We are doing great. It is cold and there is snow .....somewhere.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We are doing great. It is cold and there is snow .....somewhere.

Glad to see you have joined the other side!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

from the same paper and journalist who brought us 'Britain set for 2 months of snow and ice', here comes https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/273179201773895680/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Damn 2010/11 has ruined us. You wish for too much snow and you pay the price with this sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    from the same paper and journalist who brought us 'Britain set for 2 months of snow and ice', here comes https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/273179201773895680/photo/1

this makes me happy, in my pants lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »

I remember last year I was in the UK for a week in November, every second day on the news stands the express had some snowmageddon headline. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

There has been serious snow ramping going on in my area since Sunday.

Everyone has been talking about a very heavy snowfall at the weekend and preparing for it!

Mums at the school gates, neighbours, family, work colleagues, shop assistants...you name it, they are talking about the heavy snow.

My husband who usually gets his weather forecast from me, via here, now thinks you all talk boll*cks. :D

I have been baffled about the source of this forecast and think I have just found it from a local doctor...The AA!! (The Automobile Association that is)
    They were selling insurance outside Tesco on Fri and Sat last. They were ramping up the bad weather and how they will retrieve you if you get stuck. This seems to have turned into a bad case of Chinese whispers.
    There are going to be 100's of disappointed kids come Monday. My own included.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Conrach wrote: »
    There has been serious snow ramping going on in my area since Sunday.

Everyone has been talking about a very heavy snowfall at the weekend and preparing for it!

Mums at the school gates, neighbours, family, work colleagues, shop assistants...you name it, they are talking about the heavy snow.

My husband who usually gets his weather forecast from me, via here, now thinks you all talk boll*cks. :D

I have been baffled about the source of this forecast and think I have just found it from a local doctor...The AA!! (The Automobile Association that is)
    They were selling insurance outside Tesco on Fri and Sat last. They were ramping up the bad weather and how they will retrieve you if you get stuck. This seems to have turned into a bad case of Chinese whispers.
    There are going to be 100's of disappointed kids come Monday. My own included.

“Impulsive actions led to trouble, and trouble could have unpleasant consequences.” :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They said smnow on met forecast on on RTE1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dave1982 wrote: »
    They said smnow on met forecast on on RTE1 :D

any more details?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi are running out of snow shovels!

Any info on this eclipse today lads, usually theres a thread here about such things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Pangea wrote: »
    Any info on this eclipse today lads, usually theres a thread here about such things.

Not visible from Ireland according to this

Edit: more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

BWS should be BullSh*t Weather

How does a so called professional weather advisor to organisations get involved in such daft wish-casting and scaremongering

Winter forecasting and preparation should be this simple:

1) Its winter time, have all the utensils on standby that you might need to cope with frost, ice, snow, flooding or high winds, as an organisation or a private individual.

2) The UK Met / Met É will tell you with a day or two's notice when you might need to use them, and from that perspective they will be 80% right. If they're wrong, no harm no foul, stay calm and carry on, there might be more weather tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Nice philosophical Stieg Larsson quote there Tabnabs. Very apt for a ramping thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

General consensus both here and on NetWeather seems to be that this "shot" at a cold snap (this coming weekend) is pretty much dead in the water and that the next one to look out for is around 7 Dec.

My question is, if we take 7 Dec as the next "target" (Far too early to say, I know), when should we start looking at models and forecasts again? It would seem that at least for the next few days, there's not likely to be much news (although having said that, we've just seen how fast a forecast can fall apart and turn around, so maybe no one can really answer this question?)

I think most would agree that for those wanting snow, obsessively looking at model runs over the next few days is unlikely to yield anything but hot air. (Worst pun ever, I apologize... I really do)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

General consensus both here and on NetWeather seems to be that this "shot" at a cold snap (this coming weekend) is pretty much dead in the water and that the next one to look out for is around 7 Dec.

My question is, if we take 7 Dec as the next "target" (Far too early to say, I know), when should we start looking at models and forecasts again? It would seem that at least for the next few days, there's not likely to be much news (although having said that, we've just seen how fast a forecast can fall apart and turn around, so maybe no one can really answer this question?)

I think most would agree that for those wanting snow, obsessively looking at model runs over the next few days is unlikely to yield anything but hot air. (Worst pun ever, I apologize... I really do)

I've been following the weather forum for years now and It's become very obvious how pointless it is to get excited about model runs that are in FI territory-regardless of whether you're hoping for a freeze or hoping for mild conditions. There's just too much room for change and nobody can say what will happen with any real degree of certainty until it's narrowed down to a few days out. That's not to say that people shouldn't discuss and analyze them (that would be very silly) but they shouldn't be treated like a crystal ball either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tresb26

what is FI?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

FI = Fantasy Island......Tir na nÓg....Hy Brasil....the land of make belief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

any more details?!

It was a quick forecast at 12 on rte 1, watched it again 1 and no mention of it:rolleyes:
    Very cold on Thursday night with some patchy rain or sleet in places, perhaps a little snow, but also some clear spells and some mist and fog patches. Lowest air temperatures will range between plus 2 and minus 3 degrees with frost in most areas and the danger of icy stretches. The coldest temperatures are likely to be in the North and East.
    Friday will bring some bright or sunny spells. Many places will be dry but some showers are likely also, especially in Northern, Western and Northeastern coastal areas. Winds will be light to moderate Northwesterly and highest temperatures will range 5 to 9 degrees, mildest in the West.
    Frost and mist or fog patches will form again on Friday night away from the West and North coast where it will be breezy.
    Saturday will be a cold day with sunny spells and a few showers. Winds will stay North to Northwest, moderate in most areas but blustery around coasts.
    Saturday night will be very cold with a widespread frost and some freezing fog patches.
    Sunday looks like it'll stay dry and cold in Eastern and Northeastern areas until after dark. But outbreaks of rain will develop in the West during the day, and will spread countrywide on Sunday evening turning to sleet or hill snow in places.
    Monday and Tuesday of next week look unsettled with Westerly winds. It won't be quite as cold but there's still the risk of frost at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement