Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

I best buy a new snow globe this year and consider moving from Dublin if the lack of snowy potential gets me this depressed! ha! Although... I'm still holding out hope for as long as the trends keep me hooked in. Roll on the next model runs!! Snow limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Happy to see cold air over Ireland the last few days compared to last years depressing mildness....correct me if I'm wrong but for good snowy weather does the wind need to be from the east..... And what is the potential for the northeast of the country to see some really cold air any time soon.

Ps does anyone no if the Cooley mountains had snow recently

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Really happy here , to hear that we are not going to have snow this winter

we can't possibly know this yet, don't crush the dream! :P

tumblr_mccmdwjlsp1r2vq7do1_500.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MT wrote:
    SATURDAY-SUNDAY OUTLOOK ... At this point the weekend is looking rather cold in a continued unsettled northwest to northerly flow, highs near 5 C, and slight frosts with icy roads in the usual places overnight and morning. A very cold high may settle in during part of the week before milder air returns later but we should note that about a week ago, the models were over-estimating how strong the arctic air mass might become, so there's some chance that forecasts will back off to continual unsettled cool rather than cold weather. In the longer term, it seems to me that a spell of severe wintry weather is almost inevitable this winter, given how widespread below normal temperatures have become to the east, but I continue to think the best chance for this is later January and February. Cold spells this month might not be that deep or long-lasting although the month could average a bit below normal (although I have said elsewhere that I am expecting very mild weather for a few days around Christmas).

Well there is good and bad news in MT's forecast this morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

MUSEIST wrote: »

People forget so easily that it was only the east coast that got lots of snow in 2010, everywhere else in ireland was very 'meh' and there was nothing exceptional (apart from the cold temps). In 2010 snowfall in my area (tipperary) was just your average winter dusting and certainly will not be remembered as anything exceptional.
    We got quite a lot in Mayo and all the northwest coast in general!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Well there is good and bad news in MT's forecast this morning !

Now this is what I call "interesting" temps already well below for an average winter and a very dynamic PV. Enough tosses of the dice will eventually set us up with a memorable winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

yorlum11 wrote: »
    We got quite a lot in Mayo and all the northwest coast in general!

I live close to Galway city and we got little snow, 5/6" at most. There was quite a bit more at relatives' houses further far Connemara though.

People forget so easily that it was only the east coast that got lots of snow in 2010, everywhere else in ireland was very 'meh' and there was nothing exceptional (apart from the cold temps). In 2010 snowfall in my area (tipperary) was just your average winter dusting and certainly will not be remembered as anything exceptional.

seriously? i live in munster too and we got severe snow??

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING for it to snow this year!! love the cold weather dark nights etc.. me and my hubboy also have a 1 year baby boy so it would be amazing for him to see his first white Christmas. So does anyone have any idea if its going to snow this year or be extremely cold?smile.png

(i hope so!)biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Seems like fun for the first day or 2, then it becomes a nightmare! I think it's over rated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

People forget so easily that it was only the east coast that got lots of snow in 2010, everywhere else in ireland was very 'meh' and there was nothing exceptional (apart from the cold temps).

Yep, totally agree, only east coast got the lots of snow in winter 2010. :)

231202.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

that picture brings a tear to my eye :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

You're joking right? I am not on the east coast, more midlands, and we got in 2010 (and I have a picture to prove it) 9 inches of snow lying on the ground......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

screamer wrote: »
    You're joking right? I am not on the east coast, more midlands, and we got in 2010 (and I have a picture to prove it) 9 inches of snow lying on the ground......

It did not snow on people that were naughty if I recall that year!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Just happy to see the first sleet/grapple/frozen rain of the year... feltvery 2010 in Rathfarnham this lunch time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's bitter cold in Drogheda it's coming up as 6 degrees but the wind chill must be minus 3 so cold. But great to see it. Or feel it rather

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

to be honest i never listen to the charts that are more than 72hrs out as it constantly changes and (sometimes/regularly) changes dramaticly...
    i just like to look and listen to the charts and comments more for fun than anything else.

when i want to know what the weather has in store over the next few days i check out ME outlook forcast as it seems to be quite consistent .... although the odd time they do be way off.:rolleyes:

keep up the good work on here though guys as it can be very informative but personally i take it all with more than a pinch of salt;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I know zero about these charts but I really enjoy reading these threads, it give you a feel of how our weather MIGHT be, but its the trends I look forward to hearing. And the trends come to pass more often than not, a few weeks back they said it would be cold, and hey presto, I've had to de-ice my car more times this last week than I did all of last winter. During the summer it never looked like a heatwave and hey presto, it rained every day:D

Its discussion, not forecast and although I wont get involved in any discussions, I love reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

For some of us that like to read but don't understand all this technical stuff,what's the predictions for now to Xmas? Are we still talking mild December and then a colder jan/feb like mt has been saying?
    We were expecting a mild December anyway were we not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It snowed in Amsterdam today. It wasn't much and had melted within an hour.

wtHV7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I'v lived in Kilkenny for 28 yrs and cant remember a snow event similar to that of 2010. Amazeballs.
    '95?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS 18z showing an ever encroaching and dominating atlantic out to the mid month.

Could be stormy in December H2 rather than Cold. Too far away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Hi, I know its all very hit and miss with long range forecast but I still would like to know if anyone can read them damn charts and tell me what they are predicting for around the 23rd? Am I a crazy fool to organise a cycling fun event for this time of year? (answers on a snowball please)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    GFS 18z showing an ever encroaching and dominating atlantic out to the mid month.

Could be stormy in December H2 rather than Cold. Too far away yet.

Watching it roll out on NW was comedy gold , the hysteria :-)

I just can't see the good ol pub run trumping the ECM on this at all

Hi, I know its all very hit and miss with long range forecast but I still would like to know if anyone can read them damn charts and tell me what they are predicting for around the 23rd? Am I a crazy fool to organise a cycling fun event for this time of year? (answers on a snowball please)

MT would be your main man for this , and he is expecting a somewhat mild interlude around Xmas so you may be in luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wrong thread lads >>
    qwzvf.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ridiculous GFS 12z in FI....if only!

Little to no chance of it happening like that run, but nice charts to look at!

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ridiculous GFS 12z in FI....if only!

Little to no chance of it happening like that run, but nice charts to look at!

other thread me thinks :P

i don't mind at this stage if we don't get a white christmas, I just want snow this winter anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

This Netweather animation shows that small pockets of the border counties are forecast snow for tonight.

Pink snow, green sleet, blue rain.

http://video.netweather.tv/previews/FEMAvMOG-oiaJpIxn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement