Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

• 05-11-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

i would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING for it to snow this year!! love the cold weather dark nights etc.. me and my hubboy also have a 1 year baby boy so it would be amazing for him to see his first white Christmas. So does anyone have any idea if its going to snow this year or be extremely cold?smile.png

(i hope so!)biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

For those of us who have to work outside regardless of the conditions I hope it doesn't. Seen enough of the stuff to last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

bcmf wrote: »
    For those of us who have to work outside regardless of the conditions I hope it doesn't. Seen enough of the stuff to last a lifetime.
    Also for those of us who live on a hill and get stuck every time it snows! :) I used to love it and always wanted it to snow....til I moved here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Yeah .. Book a flight to Austria during Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I wish the association never existed.

I'd like a two week blanket of three foot deep snow please, I'm counting on Goddess Khione, any time, any part of the month any month, and more if possible, but I don't want to be greedy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

gbee wrote: »
    I wish the association never existed.

I'd like a two week blanket of three foot deep snow please, I'm counting on Goddess Khione, any time, any part of the month any month, and more if possible, but I don't want to be greedy. :)
    Why not a white Christmas gbee:eek:, surely a white Christmas would be worth giving up a months worth of snow;)
    Who is goddess Khione is she some sort of weather Goddess:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

For those of use who have to work outdoor and for those of us who live on a hill, or even for those of us who do both... I'm hoping that it DOES snow this winter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

I count 6 snow/winter related threads now open in this forum. Perhaps we could use the winter 2012-13 thread for general chat and set up a new thread for model analysis only? It's just all a little hard to follow. the model thread would make it easier to keep an eye on trends developing in the models. Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

If someone will kindly buy me a 4x4, and if our county invested in road plowers (not likely(.. I'd happily want it to snow :P

I do think we are going to have snow this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

You don't need a 4x4 to drive in the snow. Driver education or should I say, on-going driver education is needed in Ireland.

The NRA have some snow plough equipment but the county councils vary on their response, but other than national primary routes, very little else gets effectively treated in my experience...

Still love the snow though :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tactical wrote: »
    You don't need a 4x4 to drive in the snow. Driver education or should I say, on-going driver education is needed in Ireland.

The NRA have some snow plough equipment but the county councils vary on their response, but other than national primary routes, very little else gets effectively treated in my experience...

Still love the snow though :D:D:D
    What gets me with gritting and plowing primary routes is they seem to totally forget secondary routes which makes it near or imposable to get to the primary routes.on that note i checked my local Co Council gritting route and my village is not on it :(

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Who is goddess Khione is she some sort of weather Goddess:confused:

Yes she is. :)

If I were celebrating the Christian birth aspect then I'd want a hot dry season and desert conditions to be more faithful to the [actual] event.

If I were celebrating the seasons, rebirth and health, I'd celebrate when it snowed as it promises to kill off pests, cover the land in a protective blanket and preserve my rations well into the coming spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭DenMan

I really hope it snows OP. This will be my last Winter in Ireland for a long time I'd say. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :)

Tactical wrote: »
    For those of use who have to work outdoor and for those of us who live on a hill, or even for those of us who do both... I'm hoping that it DOES snow this winter :D
    You can come and tow me up the hill so if it does :) or just wait at the bottom of the hill for me attempting to slide down in the car :)

Gee_G wrote: »
    You can come and tow me up the hill so if it does :) or just wait at the bottom of the hill for me attempting to slide down in the car :)

OK, so it does not work exactly on a plain car, but first gear and no pedals, I don't think modern cars do it well so take her to a hill and give it a go, you might just stall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lets all chip on the 100 euro for a set of self adjusting snow chains for Gee_G so that we can have our snow.

Look, the price of the view and the beautiful scenery all year round is 100 euro for chains and 4 minutes putting them on and taking them off a few days during the Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I live on a hill. I work outdoors. I keep livestock. Keep yer snow :p Don't want salt on the roads to be eating away at the underside of my car.

Calibos wrote: »
    Lets all chip on the 100 euro for a set of self adjusting snow chains for Gee_G so that we can have our snow.

Look, the price of the view and the beautiful scenery all year round is 100 euro for chains and 4 minutes putting them on and taking them off a few days during the Winter.
    Aw,you're awful good!:) ya can have your snow so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

Surely if Gee_G gets them there won't be any snow :confused:

jeltz wrote: »
    Surely if Gee_G gets them there won't be any snow :confused:
    ???
    Leave me out of this...I am not being held responsible for it not snowing :)

Also for those of us who live on a hill and get stuck every time it snows! :) I used to love it and always wanted it to snow....til I moved here :)

I lived for years above 300m. In the cold years the snow started in October and there could be the odd snow shower in May. Everything would freeze up for a couple of the coldest months. People often thought I was exaggerating. If you find that people think you are exaggerating, invite them to visit on a day when the windchill is severe. They will then believe everything you say. There is no point inviting them when it snows. They wont get up the hill. :)

• Advertisement

???
    Leave me out of this...I am not being held responsible for it not snowing :)

Don't worry, it is the fault of the people who bought them. Probably. :)

I lived for years above 300m. In the cold years the snow started in October and there could be the odd snow shower in May. Everything would freeze up for a couple of the coldest months. People often thought I was exaggerating. If you find that people think you are exaggerating, invite them to visit on a day when the windchill is severe. They will then believe everything you say. There is no point inviting them when it snows. They wont get up the hill. :)
    The actual snow itself I can handle because at least we could park at the bottom and walk down but it's the freezing part that gets me! Then we're really stuck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

In Ireland?

In Down. Somewhat North facing.

No. Just no. I won't be able to get to work if it snows. I've had enough of it in 2009-2010 to last me a lifetime.

The actual snow itself I can handle because at least we could park at the bottom and walk down but it's the freezing part that gets me! Then we're really stuck :)

Very true. The thing about driving up and down the road is that it polishes it so the more you drive up and down the worse you make it for yourself! I remember walking along a path in a field once that was covered in fairly dry snow and the next moment I was up to my armpits. Lucky I had a friend to help me out. So there isn't always an alternative to the road. :(

Very true. The thing about driving up and down the road is that it polishes it so the more you drive up and down the worse you make it for yourself! I remember walking along a path in a field once that was covered in fairly dry snow and the next moment I was up to my armpits. Lucky I had a friend to help me out. So there isn't always an alternative to the road. :(
    Also when your neighbour takes it upon themselves to level the snow on the road with a mini digger.that's right, level, not remove! That year was really fun! :(
    Jesus you were lucky is right!

Karsini wrote: »
    No. Just no. I won't be able to get to work if it snows. I've had enough of it in 2009-2010 to last me a lifetime.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best? :(

If the sun is a major player in influencing attacks of the cold then it is likely to be typical of winters from now on.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best? :(

If the sun is a major player in influencing attacks of the cold then it is likely to be typical of winters from now on.

That's what I'm worried about, the slow solar activity of recent years. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It can snow all it wants from December 15 till January 8. I'm going to go mad if I have to travel to college in feckin snow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement