Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

dechol wrote: »
    So fed up. Knee still hurting so not even attempting to run. Meant to do mo running ten k today but gave it a miss. Having surgery on thur so that's another two weeks out. Will be mid Dec before I will be back out there and really worried all the fitness be gone:'(

Sorry to hear that Dechol, wishing you a speedy recovery . I'm sure you won't have lost much fitness, be tough going back but after a week or two you will be flying it :)
    Received my Advanced Marthoning in post yesterday can't wait to start reading. I didn't get a chance to do the pyramid sessions cos knee plays up everytime I do something fast . But did get 10miles in very slowly on empty stomach this morning and have to say I didn't find it too bad at all. A nice start to a Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

So fed up. Knee still hurting so not even attempting to run. Meant to do mo running ten k today but gave it a miss. Having surgery on thur so that's another two weeks out. Will be mid Dec before I will be back out there and really worried all the fitness be gone:'(

Hope your back fighting fit soon, It's got to be the most important to mind yourself, fitness will come back with training, but you can't train if your injured!

I had two nice runs yesterday and today both 5K, last night it was just my local route as recovery after session with Pyramid strides on Thurs and today I did the Parkrun in Malahide. Parkrun was again really good - I highly recommend it, >200 finishers with 2x sub 17m, now >700 are reg'd to run so it's success looks assured. I was intent on not pushing after last week's PB run so I brought Jacob (Black Lab X) along and he ran with me on a short lead. In the fun spirit of Parkrun our furry friends are welcomed. He was the first (only) dog home! I even managed to combine running with volunteering and met the team which was nice as well. At this stage I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow for those 8 miles as it will be first longer run since DCM

On a separate note I've been looking around other threads since end of DCM Mentored. I just 'found' the 1000 mile challenge and have added myself as a late entrant, no chance to reach that goal but realised that I can just make 500m by eoy which is over 6 months since July so I defo plan on making that club over 12 months next year! The miles logged there are amazing 14 >2000m incl Meno , Raycun & Krusty among the names I recognize, top = 3838! and our own YoungAnne at 1000+. Since getting the miles in seems a precursor to success, I'm thinking this will really help me next year.

If you want to see the whole list this is an html page of the data sorted by distance (struggling to get link inserted so it works!):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE&single=true&gid=1&output=html

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Gavlor wrote: »
    What kind of breed is your running buddy

He is from the DSPCA so not completely sure, but many people have pointed out that he looks like a "MinPin" or miniature pincher apparently. Basically he's a terrier size pincher. With Doberman colours. When off the lead he'd give Usain Bolt a run for his money.

Can't Post a photo remotely but will do when I get home

6 miles this morning with my Dun Laoghaire Pier group, off through to Killiney, up the hill down the other side through Sorrento Tce / Vico Rd (nice to see how the others live!) through Dalkey & back to Dun Laoghaire.

Some really hilly bits & very enjoyable.

20 of us this morning with various groups of varying speeds taking the same general route (some cut corners here & there to skip big hills) we all meet back at the same spot at generally the same time (1 hour later) for a coffee afterwards.

Did it with no breakfast as well to try this running on empty theory & worked out. Fine enough, a little tired at the end but that could have been from the 5miles last night as well.

All in all a good start to the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Walkedit wrote: »

I had two nice runs yesterday and today both 5K, last night it was just my local route as recovery after session with Pyramid strides on Thurs and today I did the Parkrun in Malahide. Parkrun was again really good - I highly recommend it, >200 finishers with 2x sub 17m, now >700 are reg'd to run so it's success looks assured. I was intent on not pushing after last week's PB run so I brought Jacob (Black Lab X) along and he ran with me on a short lead. In the fun spirit of Parkrun our furry friends are welcomed. He was the first (only) dog home! I even managed to combine running with volunteering and met the team which was nice as well. At this stage I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow for those 8 miles as it will be first longer run since DCM

Ah no - missed you at the Parkrun this morning! Just decided to do it yesterday. Wasn't like a usual race, just a mass run but good turnout and variety of people. Did expect a 'start' line though, everyone just kinda began jogging and didn't know what point to start my Garmin so came in at 3.07 miles by the end so just under.

Felt weird to run fast again.. Started off well but something about the word 'race' turns my stomach so ended up having to stop bout 5 times. Think I'll do again next wk to try and get over that - do at my HM pace to get me ready for Waterford (Race de-sensitistaion:p).

• Advertisement

FiiFii wrote: »

Ah no - missed you at the Parkrun this morning! Just decided to do it yesterday. Wasn't like a usual race, just a mass run but good turnout and variety.

ah Ragin, i will be there again next week with Jacob, ran 27 mins if that suits

is anyone running in Phoenix Park tomorrow? i fancy company on first real LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Right, so if I see a dog my strategy is to chase him.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hope your back fighting fit soon, It's got to be the most important to mind yourself, fitness will come back with training, but you can't train if your injured!

On a separate note I've been looking around other threads since end of DCM Mentored. I just 'found' the 1000 mile challenge and have added myself as a late entrant, no chance to reach that goal but realised that I can just make 500m by eoy which is over 6 months since July so I defo plan on making that club over 12 months next year! The miles logged there are amazing 14 >2000m incl Meno , Raycun & Krusty among the names I recognize, top = 3838! and our own YoungAnne at 1000+. Since getting the miles in seems a precursor to success, I'm thinking this will really help me next year.

If you want to see the whole list this is an html page of the data sorted by distance (struggling to get link inserted so it works!):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE&single=true&gid=1&output=html
    Jacob is adorable! Love the big smiley head of him :)

I wouldn't worry about losing too much fitness, the body has a much better memory than we do. A couple of short & easy ones to ease you back into things and you'll be back into the swing of things in no time. Better to rest up & get better than come back too early & then never run again.

Not a great week for me all in all, my granny died on Monday at the grand old age of 95, so between that and travelling up country for the funeral, I didn't get out at all during the week. I was a bit rusty setting out this afternoon, but soon warmed up and started to enjoy it. I attempted a couple of pyramids, but I'd already run 7 miles at that stage and felt like throwing up after the 40 seconds! So I did a couple of miles at marathon pace instead. 9.5 miles done at 9:32 pace.

I also run with a little training partner, my Cocker Spaniel Libby, so she did 6.7 miles at 9:50 pace for those interested! I can't post a pic from my phone, but she's flat out in the couch beside me as we speak!

• Advertisement

Well arent we the bunch of dog lovers!

Heres Stan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

This thead will have to be moved to the dog forum soon!! ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    Not a great week for me all in all, my granny died on Monday at the grand old age of 95, so between that and travelling up country for the funeral, I didn't get out at all during the week. I was a bit rusty setting out this afternoon, but soon warmed up and started to enjoy it. I attempted a couple of pyramids, but I'd already run 7 miles at that stage and felt like throwing up after the 40 seconds! So I did a couple of miles at marathon pace instead. 9.5 miles done at 9:32 pace.

I also run with a little training partner, my Cocker Spaniel Libby, so she did 6.7 miles at 9:50 pace for those interested! I can't post a pic from my phone, but she's flat out in the couch beside me as we speak!

Sorry to hear about your Gran.

Also a cocker spaniel owner - brought Lexi for a 5k before and she was grand but I didn't want to extend her too much. But if Libby can do more, I'm sure Lexi can too :-) Might bring her with me in the morning.

Contrary to the advice, I think I'm going to back away from training with my club, because they're training for shorter distances and are running too quickly for me. It's not that I can't keep up, rather that I do keep up. Intended to do 5k easy last night, ended up doing 10k with lots of intervals and both track and grass (and i loved it!). Then my cross training today was cycling and ended up doing 50k, with some serious enough hills. Gonna have to cop on for myself.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your Gran.

Also a cocker spaniel owner - brought Lexi for a 5k before and she was grand but I didn't want to extend her too much. But if Libby can do more, I'm sure Lexi can too :-) Might bring her with me in the morning.

Contrary to the advice, I think I'm going to back away from training with my club, because they're training for shorter distances and are running too quickly for me. It's not that I can't keep up, rather that I do keep up. Intended to do 5k easy last night, ended up doing 10k with lots of intervals and both track and grass (and i loved it!). Then my cross training today was cycling and ended up doing 50k, with some serious enough hills. Gonna have to cop on for myself.
    Thanks Dilbert. Lexi is gorgeous! She looks just like Libby! There's conflicting advice about how far you should bring a dog running, I would normally bring Libby a max of 6, today was a bit further than normal. She seems to manage ok and most times I'm running quite slow. I'll start leaving her behind as the speed sessions increase.

What you said about your club is interesting. That's one of the reasons I've been reluctant to join a club. I'd worry it would work against my training rather than with it. Might have to do a bit more research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Waterford AC do have a running group training for longer distances but I don't fancy driving 15 miles each time to train. As regards my own club, I suggested trying to get a group together for a 30-week plan to get to the Waterford marathon but they didn't come back to me. I think the committee have no interest in long-distance running so aren't too bothered about trying to get a group going. It's frustrating but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

FiiFii wrote: »

Right, so if I see a dog my strategy is to chase him.........:D

let me know if ur coming over

Jacob is adorable! Love the big smiley head of him :)

Thanks NCMC - he quite a character. Sorry to hear your tough week!
    Libby looks like cutie as do Lexi and Stan - aren't we the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I'd love to get out but I think I'll be squeezing my 8 miles in between a couple of things tomorrow so I'm not sure when I'll be hitting the road.

One of these weeks I'll be more organised...
    Not a great week for me all in all...

Sorry to hear about your gran Ncmc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 towerhillpaddy

Hi all.
    Intrigued reading this thread and will deffo be following it closely from hereon in. If its not too lat to add a name to the list then I'd love to join but if so no harm. I'm London based so my meet up opportunities will be fairly limited!

Briefly I was a full couch potato in December of this year and demanded decent running shoes to help get my arse in gear. I subsequently ran the Curragh marathon and DCM, both in 3 hours 18 minutes and a bit of change. I have never run 5k/10k apart form the Mark Pollock just this week (43)

I have just gone back out this week post DCM. Have put no thought to it but will look at 24m weeks through to Christmas maybe.

My goals are very similar to Quinlang's basically, almost to a T.

What interests me here is the level of mileage you all do and the concept of slow runs. I followed a well known program and, looking over it, even on the weeks with a 20 mile run, I was maxing out at 36 miles per week with most being well below that. Additionally I always just went out and ran at race pace of 7m 30 odd a mile without thinking.

Very interested in the longer mile programs and the slower pacing - I'm learining an awful lot from yis all already and I've only skimmed

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hi all.
    Intrigued reading this thread and will deffo be following it closely from hereon in. If its not too lat to add a name to the list then I'd love to join but if so no harm. I'm London based so my meet up opportunities will be fairly limited!

Briefly I was a full couch potato in December of this year and demanded decent running shoes to help get my arse in gear. I subsequently ran the Curragh marathon and DCM, both in 3 hours 18 minutes and a bit of change. I have never run 5k/10k apart form the Mark Pollock just this week (43)

I have just gone back out this week post DCM. Have put no thought to it but will look at 24m weeks through to Christmas maybe.

What interests me here is the level of mileage you all do and the concept of slow runs. I followed a well known program and, looking over it, even on the weeks with a 20 mile run, I was maxing out at 36 miles per week with most being well below that. Additionally I always just went out and ran at race pace of 7m 30 odd a mile without thinking.

Very interested in the longer mile programs and the slower pacing - I'm learining an awful lot from yis all already and I've only skimmed

Steve

The more the merrier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Hi all.

Steve

Hi there, 3'18, nice work for a couch potato!

coalshed wrote: »
    Hi there, 3'18, nice work for a couch potato!

+1 on the nice work - that was an amazing debut to get 3:18 from a standing start in 5 months (Dec to Curragh) Wow, especially without your training being managed for pace etc.

I can only dream about those times, you must be a sub 3 candidate if you continue injury free based on your sheer ability and the potential improvements in your training. The fact that your time didn't improve between the two marathons means the training wasn't giving you everything it could.

If you haven't seen them yet there are some amazing training logs by individuals who have posted times like yours and faster that would make compulsive reading for you.

There has been quite some discussion about "Advanced Marathoning" as recommended reading. It explains the training science and especially pacing.

Is Feidir leat - Failte ar bord

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Not a great week for me all in all, my granny died on Monday at the grand old age of 95, so between that and travelling up country for the funeral, I didn't get out at all during the week.

Hey ncmc, really sorry to hear about your gran. What a wonderful age though, she must have been a great lady.

Lost my gran last year at the age of 100. Different generation altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Waterford AC do have a running group training for longer distances but I don't fancy driving 15 miles each time to train. As regards my own club, I suggested trying to get a group together for a 30-week plan to get to the Waterford marathon but they didn't come back to me. I think the committee have no interest in long-distance running so aren't too bothered about trying to get a group going. It's frustrating but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Its a pity alright Dilbert. I guess the short stuff is more popular and ever increasing in popularity. The long stuff is left to the individual themselves or "lunatic" , as I am now referred to at home.

I know its bad when my mother is actively encouraging me to go back to the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Week 2 done and dusted with a crisp cold 8 miler this morning. Any worries of losing my running mojo post DCM are squashed...went to bed reading Advanced Marathoning last night and eagerly await what Meno has in store for us this week...just glad there's a bunch of equally crazy people on here to share the madness with :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

rasher_m wrote: »
    I think the mileage calculations in the spreadsheet are off.
    I was just looking at the sheet. Yesterday you're down for 11mi and 5km. Maybe rainrunner posted in the wrong line cause he does miles and you do km :confused:

Just back from 1st long run since DCM, did the miles (8.72m) w/out brekkie seemed to go well, it was a local 4 mile loop with a stop off for 5x 1 mile laps in Albert College Park - which I ran in the grass rather then the path for a change.

The loop has a 'nice' hill at the end, I think having this so handy to me routes really helped at Roebuck in DCM as I was determined not to be phased because this hill is bigger and I run it all the time.

Am pleased to have gotten in 5 runs this week not quite evenly spread but at least the first 5pw is done. Really looking forward to not running tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Week 3 up and ready (will update the training plan when meno posts it later)

All new joiners from last weeks have been moved into the main list in alphabetical order.

Always room for more so anyone interested feel free to add your name onto the sheet. :)

Link to sheet

At the end of this week I'm going to start pruning the inactive members so if you're not training due to injury please post a comment mentioning it on the sheet so I know you're still interested in being involved.

On a personal level - I've had enough of sitting around and reading this thread from a very jealous distance ! So I am going to head out tomorrow for a very easy 5k and see how things go. :) (will leave out the pyramids for the moment) If I come back hobbling I'm blaming all of you ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

On a personal level - I've had enough of sitting around and reading this thread from a very jealous distance ! So I am going to head out tomorrow for a very easy 5k and see how things go. :) (will leave out the pyramids for the moment) If I come back hobbling I'm blaming all of you ;):D

I was wondering where you were gone! Suprised you lasted this long! :D

Good luck with it tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I was just looking at the sheet. Yesterday you're down for 11mi and 5km. Maybe rainrunner posted in the wrong line cause he does miles and you do km :confused:

Thanks career_move, no yesterdays figures are right. i ran a 5 km race parkrun and then ran 11 miles in the afternoon in the park. i noticed the numbers being wrong during the week but they could be ok now.

Advertisement