Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dilbert75 wrote: »

I've been chatting with a Waterford local who said that the course has changed from last year and the new one (in your video) has had a raft of complaints, tough back section and lots of people asking for the old route to be reinstated. Don't know much other than that, but hey, we all start & finish in the same place so we just run what's put in front of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've been chatting with a Waterford local who said that the course has changed from last year and the new one (in your video) has had a raft of complaints, tough back section and lots of people asking for the old route to be reinstated. Don't know much other than that, but hey, we all start & finish in the same place so we just run what's put in front of us!

It's effectively the old course in reverse (minus the track finish) there is going to be a bit of a 'bump' in the middle whichever way you run it. The new route means the hill is a bit steeper but not as long, still a very fast course overall. I have set 2 PB's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's not too bad with the exception of miles 12-13 being in a nature park (capped dump) where the pathway is max 3 or 4 people wide. Gonna be tricky for anyone hoping to make time over the last mile. Apart from that mile 1-7 dead flat, a long drag for a mile or so followed by sharp downhill and straight flat run until the nature park. Problem with the hill section is that the surface ain't great.
    Apparently the reason the finish has changed is because the track at rsc is due to be resurfaced.

On another note, i Had a 5 mile pb of 30 mins that finished at the track tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not surprised - the route profile is not too pretty for the last few kms. But they always look distorted because of the scale - it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sheba 121

Hi everybody,
    I hope ye don't mind a late gatecrasher joining the party. Had signed up to do DCM this year and also to beginners thread but got injured in July. Chipped bone in my foot, nothing to do with running mind you, so I was out for all of August and September. Kept up core training which I think helped and im back running since beginning of Oct.

What are your next goals? A marathon in May either Belfast or Limerick. Then DCM in Oct. Half marathon in March prob Bohermeen. A few 10 ks over the winter. Not too worried about times just want to get back focused and with a proper training routine.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? I do a lot of core training. Which includes Kettlebells one night a week and two crossfit sessions a week. I can do 4 runs a week and sometimes 5. Mostly short runs midweek and a long run weekend. With a recovery run day after long run if I can fit it in. I would like to join with some runners here on the weekend runs in the park.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.) I just want to improve over the winter. I have great core strength but lack lost a lot of running due to injury. I would like to get quicker but its not a priority at the moment. I will hope to have completed two marathons in the next 12 months..........fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I think the mileage calculations in the spreadsheet are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Trampas

I went up training last night with Donadea RC last night.

A session I had never done before. Intervals, running and relay racing.

I have always just ran as wanted to do that first before started on the intervals stuff.

Good group of people. Ultraman1 is a member.

Core next Monday which something I have never done.

I expect to be dying on Tuesday from it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Question for you Meno...

Now I've picked up a lot of info in the "what runners are you wearing..." thread but I'm hoping you could give us the basics of the running shoe!

Without going into the "tell me what runner to wear" territory, I think a lot of us here would have went out and got a gait test done, bought a pair that felt ok, and are still wearing them. I'm only on my second pair.

Should we be thinking about moving towards lighter shoes or getting lighter shoes for the shorter distances? If one isn't a heel striker should you try reduce the heel drop on your choice of shoes.

What distance would you run in them up to? 5k / 10k? Or can you go further?

What running shoes would you wear for each of your runs generally? Would the light ones be saved for the speedwork?

Its a whole new confusing area! I know I would get looked after well if I went into a good running shop but I'd like to have an idea on the above when I go in, when I bought my last pair I was a bit clueless.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

As a follow on from Miguel K can I ask a really basic question. I was fitted with Brooks Adrenaline GTS as I'm told I overpronate, which is ok! However after 400 odd miles in these shoes the outside of the heel is worn down to a nub but the inside of the heel is untouched, this seems counter intuitive to me but is that just the shoe doing its job correctly or am I in the wrong shoes?
    The reason I ask is constant knee pains, I know there are alot of miles on these shoes so ill be replacing soon too.

miguelk wrote: »
    Question for you Meno...

Now I've picked up a lot of info in the "what runners are you wearing..." thread but I'm hoping you could give us the basics of the running shoe!

Without going into the "tell me what runner to wear" territory, I think a lot of us here would have went out and got a gait test done, bought a pair that felt ok, and are still wearing them. I'm only on my second pair.

Should we be thinking about moving towards lighter shoes or getting lighter shoes for the shorter distances? If one isn't a heel striker should you try reduce the heel drop on your choice of shoes.

What distance would you run in them up to? 5k / 10k? Or can you go further?

What running shoes would you wear for each of your runs generally? Would the light ones be saved for the speedwork?

Its a whole new confusing area! I know I would get looked after well if I went into a good running shop but I'd like to have an idea on the above when I go in, when I bought my last pair I was a bit clueless.

Thanks a lot.

You obviously know I have a penchant for running shoes ;)

I think the thing about running shoes though is that it is very personal, what works for one person will not always work for another. Apart from gait (Neutral, Pronator, Supinator) there is also the way your foot strikes (heel, midfoot, forefoot) and also how hard your foot hits the ground (slapping or gliding).

There are plenty of people who are neutral heel strikers for example.

I think the best advice R.E. racing shoes is to get a pair suitable to your gait. If you normally wear 'neutral' shoes it is much easier to find racers, but there are also plenty of light racing shoes that suit people who pronate....

Test out the shoes on a short or fast run and then maybe a short race and see how your body reacts and go from there. It would be silly of me to give advice over and above that, because I don't want to cause anyone injuries. Racing shoes will immediately feel much lighter and 'faster' but probably only give you an extra few seconds/mile so it is certainly not worth the risk of getting injured.

On a personal note, I basically wear racing shoes for all my runs, whether running 9 min/mile or 6 min/mile. I just feel more comfortable wearing light shoes and tend to get injured when I wear heavier shoes or shoes with 'support'. But that's just me and shouldn't be taken as a general rule for all people. The only downside to me to wearing racers all the time is that when I actually race, I am just wearing my normal shoes and don't get the 'go faster stripes' feeling that racing shoes can give you when you normally train in heavier ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Got to,do meno's pyramid session yesterday,very enjoyable,looking forward to more of these as the weeks go on.
    Have a heavy cold since the start of the week which is slow in shifting & left me drained after yesterday's session so skipped this mornings planned early start in the hope the extra rest will do some good.
    Can't get out over,the weekend for any running so roll on Monday ASAP (& hopefully this f*#%ing cold will have shifted too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

As a follow on from Miguel K can I ask a really basic question. I was fitted with Brooks Adrenaline GTS as I'm told I overpronate, which is ok! However after 400 odd miles in these shoes the outside of the heel is worn down to a nub but the inside of the heel is untouched, this seems counter intuitive to me but is that just the shoe doing its job correctly or am I in the wrong shoes?
    The reason I ask is constant knee pains, I know there are alot of miles on these shoes so ill be replacing soon too.

Just bring the worn shoes into Amphibian Kings when you're replacing them and let them have a look at them so they can analyse the type of shoe you need.

When replacing the shoes, just go to a store that does gait analysis (like Amphibian King) and bring along your old shoes to show them the wear and tear.
    It sounds like you heel strike and land on the outsie of your foot. That is not unusual in itself. The wear and tear on the shoe is just a reflection on where the foot strikes the ground. You are probably in the right type of shoe for your gait.

The fact that you are getting niggles in your knee however is a concern. If I were you I would maybe concentrate on better running form. If you have the inclination you could go to a CHI Running course (the great Catriona Mckiernan runs these regularly throughout Ireland). Or you could just buy the CHI running book and teach yourself. As with everything though, just take it slowly and ease into anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Anybody doing the gowran 10 mile race on Sunday?? Thread on it in events forum. The 12 o'clock start is enticing my nocturnal instincts ;)

It's just out the road from me, but with 2 races already in the next 2 weeks i have to give it a skip.

Looks like it will be a great race and well organised. However just to give a warning, there is an absolute beast of a hill around the 8 mile mark i'm lead to believe. So save some energy in prep for that

By the way guys: this is a great site for checking out the specifications for different shoes on the market:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Like the look of that book meno thanks I just ordered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just back from 7 miles that included Meno's pyramid session x 2. Just question regarding pace of the pyramid, i averaged my 5km pace doing it (6.10 min/miles) is this to quick? Apologies if you have addressed this issue already.

tang1 wrote: »
    Just back from 7 miles that included Meno's pyramid session x 2. Just question regarding pace of the pyramid, i averaged my 5km pace doing it (6.10 min/miles) is this to quick? Apologies if you have addressed this issue already.

No that's not too quick. I tend to do the first set at 5k pace and the second set a little bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Regarding runners, a pal of mine was pointing out that this can be a great time of year to stock up as retailers are clearing out this years models for the new ones to come. So, if you are happy to stick with what you know there may be opportunities to buy (online or in store) at good prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    That was really well paced. I made a hash of mine. Don't know about the first set but the second 20, 40, 60 were 6.03, 6.01, 6.21 My 5k pace should be around 6.55. I'm going to do another set tomorrow during the long run so any advice how I can pace this better

• Advertisement

That was really well paced. I made a hash of mine. Don't know about the first set but the second 20, 40, 60 were 6.03, 6.01, 6.21 My 5k pace should be around 6.55. I'm going to do another set tomorrow during the long run so any advice how I can pace this better

No secret, it just takes practise. You'll get better at pacing as we do more of this kind of work. Practise will also help your pacing in races as well.

menoscemo wrote: »
    No secret, it just takes practise. You'll get better at pacing as we do more of this kind of work. Practise will also help your pacing in races as well.
    Thought you might say that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Big milestone for me this evening, lost my first toenail!!

I'm officially a real runner!!!:pac:

It's been dodgy since the marathon, feels really weird!!

On another note done my first strength training session tonight. Said I'd start with the plank, was in bits after about 20seconds! :D

Felt good after it, will keep it up 2-3 times a week i think until January now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

blockic wrote: »
    Said I'd start with the plank, was in bits after about 20seconds! :D

Funny how you can be a shaking mess within seconds of starting into the plank when it sounds so easy :)

What's with all this use of km?! Kilometers for cycling, miles for running

End this metric madness before its too late

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's with all this use of km?! Kilometers for cycling, miles for running

End this metric madness before its too late
    Apologies! My 3.1075202 mile time is 6.55 :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Apologies! My 3.1075202 mile time is 6.55 :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Haha, that's more like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

5.2m @ 10.40mpm
    and one tired dog.

5.2m @ 10.40mpm
    and one tired dog.

What kind of breed is your running buddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

So fed up. Knee still hurting so not even attempting to run. Meant to do mo running ten k today but gave it a miss. Having surgery on thur so that's another two weeks out. Will be mid Dec before I will be back out there and really worried all the fitness be gone:'(

Advertisement