Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Gavlor wrote: »
    Was On the road early this morn and passed 6 or 7 differebt people running. It was 6.20 am. I'd rather run back to back marathons!! What is the norm with you guys, morning or evening?? I HATE early morning running

I love running in AM. often b4 work , many DCM LSR towards end up at 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Your graph is very different to mine Blocky....how come you have 11 peaks? Did you stop to tie your shoe around 7 min?

Har har har! Had to go down steps in the dark with no street light :eek: so crept down them slowly, would not welcome a sprained ankle!

And the extra peak was at the very start of first stride, I done two 20 second ones by accident! :o

False start! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Har har har! Had to go down steps in the dark with no street light :eek: so crept down them slowly, would not welcome a sprained ankle!

And the extra peak was at the very start of first stride, I done two 20 second ones by accident! :o

False start! :)
    Cool :D It may just be that I'm stupid but shouldn't there only be 6 peaks....like 3 then 5 min gap then another 3:confused:

Cool :D It may just be that I'm stupid but shouldn't there only be 6 peaks....like 3 then 5 min gap then another 3:confused:

I'm sure Meno can confirm or deny this :D ...but this is what i done (or planned to do :rolleyes:). 5 strides, jog for a bit and then 5 again.

Five which is equal to one pyramid prescribed went 20,40,60,40,20 (pyramid shape) with equivalent jog periods between each one.

I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Walkedit wrote: »
    I love running in AM. often b4 work , many DCM LSR towards end up at 5!

I'm the opposite, usually go for a nap after work and then go out later in the evening. In fact when I fell last year I was out running at 11pm and when I got to A&E the nurses were giving out to me for being such a lunatic running so late at night in the streets.
    My sister who came to the hospital with me works there and told me to pretend to the Doctor that I went out earlier and not say I was running at 11pm cause its not the norm :D
    In all fairness I had left to go out on the run at 9.30, it was just a long run.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Meno can confirm or deny this :D ...but this is what i done (or planned to do :rolleyes:). 5 strides, jog for a bit and then 5 again.

Five which is equal to one pyramid prescribed went 20,40,60,40,20 (pyramid shape) with equivalent jog periods between each one.

I think...
    Gotcha....i did it wrong. Ooops :o:o

Not wrong, just different!

I knew there was some miniscule benefit of posting my graph. I just thought it looked cool!:D

I knew there was some miniscule benefit of posting my graph. I just thought it looked cool!:D
    Ya thanks for that :p

Meno in future I need things explained to me with pictures :D:D:D

Well I was doing my own version tonight. I was planning on doing the 5 miles in the gym and didnt have time to re-read Menos post. So I made my own version up.
    It was 3 sets of 3 strides with a minute between each stride.
    I think I still got a good workout though its an awful habit resorting to the treadmill but when the gym is 30 seconds away and its cold and dark outside, its very hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Run in the Dark done. Really enjoyed it but got a feeling they were very stretched with the numbers, organisation was fine for a small fun run, but with five thousand people, not separating 5k / 10k / walkers at the start was madness;

I had my first 'pacer' role! Getting two friends, both with 2 previous 10k under their belts around safe & fast - set out for 9min miles, finished with 8.57 avg, negative splits, sprint finish and 2new PB's. Yay!!

Thoroughly enjoyable, went out with 'fun run' in the mind and ended up with good speed on the night, no niggles and forgot I was having ITB issues. I've learned more about running in the 3weeks since DCM than I did in the 8months before.

• Advertisement

Good job you were curious about that graph or Blockic would be the only one doing the strides correctly. I was running them the same pattern as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Well done on the pb killian. Great running. Sounds like you had a bit more to give too....and a feckin pacer no less - that's just showing off ;)

guinang wrote: »
    Well done on the pb killian. Great running. Sounds like you had a bit more to give too....and a feckin pacer no less - that's just showing off ;)

Thanks, but not my PB, my pals both got theirs. & pacer was a lose term, nothing official, just dragging my friends around.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I think...
    rasher_m wrote: »
    Good job you were curious about that graph or Blockic would be the only one doing the strides correctly. I was running them the same pattern as yours.

If thats the case I done it wrong too! I just thought the easy reps in between was us coming back down the pyramid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Run in the Dark done. Really enjoyed it but got a feeling they were very stretched with the numbers, organisation was fine for a small fun run, but with five thousand people, not separating 5k / 10k / walkers at the start was madness;

I had my first 'pacer' role! Getting two friends, both with 2 previous 10k under their belts around safe & fast - set out for 9min miles, finished with 8.57 avg, negative splits, sprint finish and 2new PB's. Yay!!

Thoroughly enjoyable, went out with 'fun run' in the mind and ended up with good speed on the night, no niggles and forgot I was having ITB issues. I've learned more about running in the 3weeks since DCM than I did in the 8months before.

I did the Run in the Dark too. Perfect evening for it and a nice flat course with an impressive turn out.

I managed to get myself a massive stitch by trying to keep up with a pal who ended up running 36 minutes...so I limped along for about 3km waiting for the discomfort to moderate.

It was good to learn the hard way what happens when you go out to fast, and I still managed to squeeze in a PB so all in all a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Is there anyone else feeling a bit tired this week???? Got back up on the horse after DCM last week, did 4 miles easy on Wed & Friday & went for a walloping easy 6 miles on Sunday:eek::eek: - all felt fairly okish except for the usual niggles here & there. I went for 4 miles on Tuesday with the intention of doing the same today & maybe pushing it out to a walloping easy 7 miles next weekend:eek: The thing is that I felt f****d yesterday & today isnt much better, my legs are heavy & the last thing that I want to do is run. I dont think I'm coming down with anything I just feel tired - anyone else in the same boat????Its hard to believe I ran 26 miles two weeks ago -think I'd be lucky to do a half for you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Decided to run home from work yesterday 10.83 miles... took it handy.. buy by mile 2 my left calf/shin was pulling & it was uncomfortable the whole way home. had this problem before DCM & physio got it sorted enough to run. So I'll have to go back again! I'd rested it completely for two weeks after DCM. That graph is handy to see Blockic, I'm kind of afraid to go at that sprint pace on the hard ground... is anyone using grass/track for this? I just seem to pick up injuries if I put the boot down.

docrock wrote: »
    I dont think I'm coming down with anything I just feel tired - anyone else in the same boat????Its hard to believe I ran 26 miles two weeks ago -think I'd be lucky to do a half for you today.

I'm feeling tired as well, as you said. I'm finding 20 mile weeks long again. Even though I was doing 35 mile weeks regularly without a problem a few weeks ago!
    Decided to run home from work yesterday 10.83 miles... took it handy.. buy by mile 2 my left calf/shin was pulling & it was uncomfortable the whole way home. had this problem before DCM & physio got it sorted enough to run. So I'll have to go back again! I'd rested it completely for two weeks after DCM. That graph is handy to see Blockic, I'm kind of afraid to go at that sprint pace on the hard ground... is anyone using grass/track for this? I just seem to pick up injuries if I put the boot down.

I'd say grass/track would be as good (and better for the knees!), and i would probably do them on those surfaces if i had them available to me, but in the dark evenings the paths are the handiest with the street lights.

docrock wrote: »
    Is there anyone else feeling a bit tired this week???? Got back up on the horse after DCM last week, did 4 miles easy on Wed & Friday & went for a walloping easy 6 miles on Sunday:eek::eek: - all felt fairly okish except for the usual niggles here & there. I went for 4 miles on Tuesday with the intention of doing the same today & maybe pushing it out to a walloping easy 7 miles next weekend:eek: The thing is that I felt f****d yesterday & today isnt much better, my legs are heavy & the last thing that I want to do is run. I dont think I'm coming down with anything I just feel tired - anyone else in the same boat????Its hard to believe I ran 26 miles two weeks ago -think I'd be lucky to do a half for you today.

Yeah I went for a 7.5 mile run in the park with the girls on Sunday at 10 min pace and I felt quite crappy during the run. I was also very red after it too which is unusual for a run at that pace. I know I hadn't had much water and had several layers on but I still felt brutal. I did have a bad stomach the following day and couldn't eat much so may have had a slight bug, not sure really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha, just reading through. I had been wondering why no-one had questioned me about the structure of the 'pyramid strides' session. I figured I must be great at explaining things but eveidently not :)

I can confirm that what Blockic says below is exactly what i had meant:

I think...

Anyway not to worry if you did it slightly differently, the important this was to break into faster running for a few short periods. If anyone did way less fast bits than prescribed, feel free to do one 'Pyramid' of the strides during tomorrows easy run or the weekend long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, just reading through. I had been wondering why no-one had questioned me about the structure of the 'pyramid strides' session. I figured I must be great at explaining things but eveidently not :)

I can confirm that what Blockic says below is exactly what i had meant:

Anyway not to worry if you did it slightly differently, the important this was to break into faster running for a few short periods. If anyone did way less fast bits than prescribed, feel free to do one 'Pyramid' of the strides during tomorrows easy run or the weekend long run.

I got what you meant...but I only did one set, didn't see the "repeat it" part.

Found them good...give the body a bit of a shake up when its used to going through the motions steadily.

It was also my first night using my new garmin. Love it.

upthe19th wrote: »
    It was also my first night using my new garmin. Love it.

No turning back now! Did you have a watch previous or just use mapmyrun or similar?

No turning back now! Did you have a watch previous or just use mapmyrun or similar?

First pacing watch blockic, had cardiotrainer as an app on my phone. Wasn't too bad at all, but after a year I reckoned I'd invest. Glad I did now.

I've discovered from the advice above that my garmin tells me to do intervals, I've no bloody excuse now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just done my 2m - brought the two kids with me, resulting in a very gentle pace altogether. Nice contrast from the pyramid sprints last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Did 4 miles tonight. Second run with the garmin.

Tried the virtual partner against last nights run. Hit the "enter" button and headed off with my head torch and Hi-Vis.

After about 1.5 miles I looked at the garmin and some numbers seemed to be flicking up and down, so switched to screen with distance ahead/distance behind. It read 0 feet. Jaysus, says I, I'm bang on. So I upped the pace and nothing happened. Upped the pace more. Nothing happened. At this stage I'm transfixed on the screen and hammering down the road. Cop on and a quick glance left or right at the trees which were whizzing by me would have confirmed that I was going a lot harder than last night.

Then it dawned on me, I hit the enter button but never hit the start button :o.

Laughing now, but by christ I'm gonna pay for this in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Didn't work for me but found direct on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb7tQvDYDvw
    Interesting to see the course. Looks v rural which'll be a nice change -all my runs & races have been in Dublin. Intrigued by mention of a nature park - any animal spotting to occupy me on mile 12 there...;)

upthe19th wrote: »
    Did 4 miles tonight. Second run with the garmin.

Tried the virtual partner against last nights run. Hit the "enter" button and headed off with my head torch and Hi-Vis.

After about 1.5 miles I looked at the garmin and some numbers seemed to be flicking up and down, so switched to screen with distance ahead/distance behind. It read 0 feet. Jaysus, says I, I'm bang on. So I upped the pace and nothing happened. Upped the pace more. Nothing happened. At this stage I'm transfixed on the screen and hammering down the road. Cop on and a quick glance left or right at the trees which were whizzing by me would have confirmed that I was going a lot harder than last night.

Then it dawned on me, I hit the enter button but never hit the start button :o.

Laughing now, but by christ I'm gonna pay for this in the morning.

Hilarious :D:D:D:D
    Have visions of you sprinting along in the dark scratching your head.........

Hilarious :D:D:D:D
    Have visions of you sprinting along in the dark scratching your head.........[/QUOTE]

Quite a sight alright, just zoned out...determined to beat the thing...classic "muppet" moment:o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anybody doing the gowran 10 mile race on Sunday?? Thread on it in events forum. The 12 o'clock start is enticing my nocturnal instincts ;)

Advertisement