Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options
  • 03-11-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭

So I think the time has come to look ahead to the next stage of our running careers for the class of DCM 2012.

Similar to the thread last year started by Younganne here, we can use this to track our progress and identify what our next goals are.

Hopefully, we can keep the majority of our group together to see how we are all progressing.

This will also hopefully stop us getting lazy over the winter! So few questions to start us off:

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Finally, if any of the kind veterans (for want of a better word ;)) on here would like to guide us over the coming months (maybe a generic plan for people to follow post DCM with a spring race in mind), I think we would welcome it with open arms!

Happy running! :D

This thread is for anyone who was active in the 2012 DCM novices thread / spreadsheet tracker at any stage as well as anyone who just ran their first marathon recently(not just DCM12) who would like to get involved with a group of people at the same stage training wise.

Training Log Spreadsheet

2012 Spreadsheet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ok so i'll start off!

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

My plan is to do a couple of shorter distance races over the next 3 months, few 10k and Half Marathons trying to hit a couple of PBs in the process.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

I'm going to join a running club in the next couple of weeks hopefully (if they will have me) Also going to start a core strengthening and flexibility class in the local gym. Will probably try run 3 times a week also.

Will follow HH recover for next 3 weeks first though.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Hope to have new PBs in every distance I run and to have 4 marathons under my belt! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I plan to do alot more races over the next 6 months starting off with the Jingle Bells 5 k in December. After that I'll probably start one of the Hal Higdons 10k training programs (most likely the 10 k intermediate plan)

on the whole the next 6 months are about building a better base before i see if I'll do Dublin again next year.

As mentioned above. The plan is to pop out to training for my local club (Celbridge AC) on Thursday night and see what the story is.

Will follow HH recover for next 3 weeks first though and then on to the HH inermediate 10k

I hope to have beaten all my PB's and have gotten back out to DCM13 and banish any deamons from this year.

Also hopefully I'll have my Boards AC top from this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Great idea :)

I'm planning to do the Aware 10K in early December. My 10K time is around 54 something which I'm not very happy with. I think i might be able to get it close to 50 minutes. I say this as my split in Frank Duffy was 52 something and I have defo come on since then. Add in some speed workouts over the next month and I think it's not an unrealistic target.

After that I'm gonna try and do something similar and come in sub 40 minutes in the Raheny 5 mile. I think it's doable.

I'm mixing it up a bit. I'm taking swimming lessons as I want to incorporate lengths into my fitness regime. Then I'm going to do 2-3 speed workouts during the week and an LSR at the weekend (8-13 miles).

Also going to try to go to kettlebell once or twice a week for strength and contitioning.

Simply put I want to have PBs across all distances from 5k to marathon!..Defo want to have broken 4 hours in DCM next year but wouldn't mind doing it a bit earlier in Paris, Belfast or Connemara!

So, one things for sure - I'm defo keeping up this running lark! Here's hoping this thread is as good as the DCM novices one!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Alanm

Have signed up for the Jingles Bells 5k in early December to ensure I keep training going. Certainly going to aim to complete another marathon in 2013 at some stage, not sure where or when yet. Related to this, I hope to lose 20 lbs over the next 4 months, I'm still carrying way too much weight.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Want to make sure I don't break out of the good habits - hoping to keep up 3 or 4 short runs during the week and one long run at the weekend. I want to add more speed work too.

Sub 20 5k and Sub 40 10k are targets for next year. Will be looking for an improvement in marathon time too.

Like you blockic, I wouldn't mind suggested plans to follow over the next 3-4 months (and beyond, but that will probably be the Dublin 2013 Improvers thread!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Finally, if any of the kind veterans (for want of a better word ;)) on here would like to guide us over the coming months (maybe a generic plan for people to follow post DCM with a spring race in mind), I think we would welcome it with open arms!

I was just thinking of this during my run today and so I'll take this as some kind of sign. So if you guys will have me I would be happy to help out.

I think the idea of a spring race is a good idea, as it doesn't really matter what the distance a winter 'base building' phase would be the same for everyone. The idea would be to keep the recovery going for a few more weeks (this doesn't mean doing nothing, rather doing lots of short slow runs for the next fortnight) then we can look at building up a base by upping the mileage towards the end of November-December-January. With a 10 week base building phase people can then look at doing sessions specific to their goal race in February aiming for a March race. What do ye all think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Good stuff, I've been looking forward to this thread

Going to do a spring marathon in March. At the moment I'm hoping to do the Georgia Marathon in Atlanta on St Patricks Day. My brother lives there and it is something we are both going to run.
    Looking at the breakdown of that race, it almost puts the connemarathon on the flat scale, so I have a lot of hill work to do over Winter.
    I'm also signed up for the Connemarathon on April 7th, so that potentially could be two marathons in the space of 3 weeks.

Over the winter, I had planned to do the 18 week P&D up to 55miles program, which would see me start on November 12th. I followed the 12 week program for DCM, and I think it might have been too much of a shock to the body resulting in a few too many niggles.

But, after following Meno for most of DCM, I'm quite willing to train according to anything he suggests.

More running, and some hill work. I really have to build strength in my legs which have let me down to some extent in both completed marathons now.

After the spring marathons, I hope to do some 10k specific training, and then build up for the DCM again.

So, potentially, I will have 3 marathons next year, and a good cut at a 40 minute 10k.

menoscemo wrote: »
    So if you guys will have me I would be happy to help out....

...With a 10 week base building phase people can then look at doing sessions specific to their goal race in February aiming for a March race. What do ye all think?

Thanks menoscemo!! I think your proposed plan above is exactly what I was looking for.

In meno we trust!!* :)

*might get a t-shirt with this on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

So far...
    Half Marathon in Malta at the end of February
    Great Limerick Run Marathon at the beginning of May
    TriAthy Sprint in June
    DCM race series
    DCM 2013

In all of the above (except the Tri) I aim to improve my current PB by at least 10% - this year was all about learning to run so I dont think there is any really any effort to my times, now I want to learn to run to the best of my ability. I want to learn to train smart & introduce tempo runs, speed training, hills etc

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

See above, as far as weather will permit, I aim to continue to train as I have over the last few months, I will introduce more miles and intend to include 1 speed / tempo run - a mix training day (bike / weights etc) and more distance

I want to finish races knowing I was prepared well and raced to the best of my ability not always fast, but sometimes I may want to just pick a pace and stick to it for the duration of a race.

Main goal from now is to stay injury free and (time will tell) but I would hope to run DCM2013 close to 4hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Deadly this is going to be so much fun :D

Waterford half on 1st December
    Mount Juliet HM 16th February
    I'd like to do some shorter races as well.....i'm open to suggestions :)

They don't do running clubs here in the bog unfortunately but at least I have a treadmill so running shouldn't be a problem. Realistically I can't see myself joining the gym (too lazy to drive there :o)

I have no idea where I'll be in 12 months. I'm more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal so we'll see what happens :D

Blockic - I'm liking the "In Meno, we trust"....you should copyright that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

thanks for thread.
    What are your new goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.) I really want to work on speed especially with 10k races. have not run one under an hour so thats first goal.would love to run dublin marathon again next year and come in under 4.30hrs.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)hopefully keep running four times a week. just bought a bike so hoping to cycle a bit too. thinking of joining a club too as doing all my running on my own and think its time to run with others so i dont get bored.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)[/B] i would love to run a good few 10 km and half marathons during year and improve my times. race series definitely next summer and hopefully dublin marathon again.[/B][/B]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

About time!!

Next race I hope to be Turkey Trott 5k in Letterkenny on 2nd December. Plan for next year would be to build a base, local club does a 5k series in Feb/March so that would be the first aim and then the North West 10k in May probably the biggest race in these parts. Plenty of road races over the summer to pick over. Maybe fit in a Half later in the year.

Plan would be recovery and then start building a solid base

Hopefully have made good inroads into all PBs from 5k to Half and still enjoying running.

Delighted we have got Meno on board,

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Didn't post much previously but plan to move away from lurking (it's sad to think I'm shy on an Internet forum), and become a more active member. So here goes.

Sounds like a plan. Will be interesting to check back on this in 12 months.

May or may not join an AC. Definitely going to put more structure around my training.
    Sub 40 10k - Spar Great Ireland Run in April but at least within the 12 months
    Sub 90 half - Dublin half. Did 1.37 at the last but still think it's very attainable
    Sub 3.15 marathon - Hopefully by the next DCM, don't plan on running too many other marathons

I plan to start a log also. Since DCM I've really enjoyed reading some of the other logs. I'm using them to start to think about how I'll approach it. I've found other logs really interesting (wasn't expecting that)

I don't know how to train. I don't know about interval/tempo/core training so I'm going to educate myself. Hopefully put a plan in place and make an effort to see what I can achieve.

1000+ miles since DCM
    Quicker.
    Ability to see a marathon through without fading in the last 4/5 miles (last two DCMs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

My next planned race is the Wickow Way Ultra (no date yet but usually the end of March)

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, etc

Im going to follow a very general marathon plan. Not planning on doing many session, the idea is to build a huge base before starting speedwork after March.

If all goes well a good base built over the winter should see me hit:

Sub 35min 10k
    Sub 60min 10mile
    Sub 2:50 Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

yay! i was hoping there would be a new thread.

-working on distances up to half marathon for the moment, hopefully tackle DCM 2013 as well.

-build up mileage, work on overall strength, improve my diet, more cross training.

i hope to speed up my times up to half marathon distances, maybe enter a few more local races. maybe joining a running club?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Waterford half sounds like an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

My next planned race is the Wickow Way Ultra (no date yet but usually the end of March)

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, etc

Im going to follow a very general marathon plan. Not planning on doing many session, the idea is to build a huge base before starting speedwork after March.

If all goes well a good base built over the winter should see me hit:

Sub 35min 10k
    Sub 60min 10mile
    Sub 2:50 Marathon

Actually, your log is one of those I've found really interesting....and a little disconcerting (green eyed monster stuff). Well done on DCM on your sub 3. I plan on 2014 for a sub 3....green eyed monster because you can do it with 4 weeks notice :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'm hoping to maybe join a club at some stage. I'm in two minds between Portmarnock and The Civil Service. Theres a group starting up a 5k park run in Malahide park during November on a Saturday morning so I might try that first and see how I like it. My goals are to improve my shorter distances. I have no ambitions to run another marathon anytime soon.

Well I'm in a gym anyway and always do some rowing, running and stretching so I intend keeping that up and will probably end up doing more running on the treadmill than outside in the coming months. I will follow Hal's recovery plan and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of plan Meno has in store for the gang.

My pb for a 10 km is 52 mins so I'd like to get that under 50 for a start.
    I'd also like to go under 1.50 for a half from 1.55.
    I'm not sure what races I'll tackle next but I always do the Great Ireland Run anyway and maybe I'll get in a Spring half. I'd also like to try the Raheny 5 maybe. I'll see how I'm feeling and how much time I can free up from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Graduate thread - class - count me in!! I decided last night to get friendly with a bottle of red wine after months of virtually no alcohol, woke up this morning feeling dreadful and making hubbie get up with kids so I could lie on and feel sorry for myself :rolleyes: Was so much happier getting up early for a long run...this running business has changed me and now I know DCM wasn't a phase, its becoming a way of life :D

Following Hal's recovery plan then building up the courage to join the local running club who train Tues and Thur evening and long run Sunday. Would also add another day or 2 of recovery runs...I love to run first thing so I could do these in the morning.

Work on speed over shorter distance, current 10km PB 53 mins from June, hope to get this sub 50 with the right training.

Spring marathon for sure. Would love to do Paris but have a family wedding the day before so that's out. Looking at May marathons, still undecided. Belfast is the obvious choice being on my doorstep but after doing the relay last year I felt sorry for the marathon runners as they were so outnumbered. Also not very well organised. Open to ideas for an alternative...Edinburgh? Limerick? Prague?

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Running 4-5 days a week, incorporating strengthening work...suffered injury twice training for DCM, need to train smarter this time around with the goal of staying injury free :)

In 12 months I hope to basking in the glory of a sub-4 hour DCM! That means knocking 30 mins off this year's effort...bring it on :D

Delighted to have meno on board...'in meno we trust'....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Nice one blockic...great idea.

Good on you menoscemo, great to have ya.

And here's my continued pursuit of hardship....

The 2013 plan is to do the following races:

10k x 2
    HM x 3
    Marathon x 2

There may be more shorter ones but none in the pipeline as yet

What type of training do you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Waterford half marathon on december 1st. Short runs, more bike work if the weather is good enough, some work with weights and a hell of a lot more stretching.

firstly 1000miles for 2013, 700miles run in 2012

PB for 10k...around 43mins would do nicely (currently 48mins racing, 44mins in training)
    PB for HM... anything better than current one of 1:44
    PB for marathon....sub 3:40 (have them pacers behind me next time;))

Best of luck with all your goals, I will be following intently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Great Idea for a thread. Thanks for setting this up training for me does tend to get a bit disjointed over the winter, so determined not to go into january with all fitness lost.

Definitely want to keep up the running but I will probably concentrate on shorter distances 5 and 10 K. There is actually a marathon in Derry in May as part of the "city of culture" events which I am considering but not sure yet.
    The other thing I might try for is one of the "adventure races" Gael force or something like that but will have to see how training goes.
    Apart from running I would like to get some Gym classes for strengthening and flexibility maybe pilates or something like that. I am also a member of a local cycling club so must get some miles on the bike.

My previous pb for a 10k is 50 minutes so would love to knock a few mins off that. A sub 45 min 10k would be amazing for me.
    DCM was 4:17 so the big one in terms of targets would be a sub 4 hr marathon but will have to think long and hard about tackling that one. Still undecided.
    I will have to see what events are on spring/summer and then get a few definite plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

dazza21ie wrote: »
    About time!!

Next race I hope to be Turkey Trott 5k in Letterkenny on 2nd December. Plan for next year would be to build a base, local club does a 5k series in Feb/March so that would be the first aim and then the North West 10k in May probably the biggest race in these parts. Plenty of road races over the summer to pick over. Maybe fit in a Half later in the year.

Hi I live in letterkenny so would be interested in the "Turkey trott" Is that the one where you have to guess your time beforehand and the winner is the person closest to their predicted time, no watches allowed!!
    Might do that one sounds like a bit of crack, do you know where it starts from and time. Thanks

guinang wrote: »
    Sub 40 10k - Spar Great Ireland Run in April but at least within the 12 months
    Sub 90 half - Dublin half. Did 1.37 at the last but still think it's very attainable
    Sub 3.15 marathon - Hopefully by the next DCM, don't plan on running too many other marathons

Looks like our target times for 2013 are pretty similar guinang, will be interesting to see how we both get on!
    Waterford half sounds like an idea.

career_move, upthe19th and I are doing the waterford half anyway, they have changed the route a bit this year I think but it should be good to get the legs going again!

Going to try my first run since DCM tomorrow. Went out on the drink last night and dont think i'm cut out for it anymore. Would take a run over a sore head any sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Trails and grass are great surfaces to run on over the next few weeks to allow the joints to recover from all your training on roads and pavements.

I will be retreating to the Dublin Mountains now for most of my training to recharge the legs and head :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

joe40 wrote: »

Hi I live in letterkenny so would be interested in the "Turkey trott" Is that the one where you have to guess your time beforehand and the winner is the person closest to their predicted time, no watches allowed!!
    Might do that one sounds like a bit of crack, do you know where it starts from and time. Thanks
    I'd have a go at that too. Another Letterkenny man here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

dazza21ie wrote: »
    About time!!

Next race I hope to be Turkey Trott 5k in Letterkenny on 2nd December. Plan for next year would be to build a base, local club does a 5k series in Feb/March so that would be the first aim and then the North West 10k in May probably the biggest race in these parts. Plenty of road races over the summer

If your looking for good 10 mile race up Donegal way, the Cara Bundoran 10 on 9th of March 2013 is a great race. Done it the past two years and could not fault it in anyway. There offering a 10km race next year for first time. 500 runners in 2011, nearly 700 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Going to join a runnning club and looking at possibly doing Limerick Marathon as well as DCM.
    Will be doing all the races I did last year, UCD Ras, Spar Great Run, Terenure 5 mile, Dublin Race Series and expecting to improve times

What type of training do you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Back to the gym for S&C which I neglected over the last couple of months.
    Joining running club in the next couple of weeks so I imagine I'll be doing speed work/tempo runs etc.

Significant improvement in speed and stamina. Will be looking to take a chunk off what I did in DCM 2012, there is plenty of room for improvement :D

Anyone doing the Run in the Dark for Mark Pollock, it's 10k, wed 14th Nov.? think I'll sign up to get me back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I'd be looking at the omagh half marathon on march. With the goal of doing dublin mara again next year.

Strength training in the gym. I had come from a strength training background to run the marthon. I'll focus more on core strength this winter and work on some of the things the physio pointed out to me on my visits there on the run up to DCM.

Base training. I'm going to concentrate on some slow low hr running in the coming weeks.

Barefoot transition. I ran the marathon in Nike free3.0. Since the marathon I've done a 5k in vibrams, and a 5 mile in my nikes. I'll probably gradually increase the mileage I do in the vibrams. I don't aim to marathon in them, justly be do 50% of my training in them.

I've only done 3 races as I only started running this year after years of weights without cardio.

10k in 57:55
    Half mara in 1:59:30
    Mara in 4:27:43

This time next year I want to take time off all three of those. I'd like a 1:50 half and a 50 min 10k. I'd love a sub 4 marathon but it will be a big leap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey all!!

Great to see such a big uptake on this, we really could get a good group together. I think it is a really good idea to target a race at the start of December/end of November. It is just at the right time after DCM to cash in on your marathon fitness while being fully recovered from the race itself. It doesn't matter if the race is 5k, 10k or Half Marathon, I would expect you all to set PB's regardless.

With Regards goal races in the spring. I would encourage everyone to pick a goal race around March time to benefit from the training we will do between now and then. The Goal race should be any distance up to Half Marathon.

I see a few of you have indicated that you would like to do another Marathon in march. I wouldn't be over keen on that idea. I think it is a little too soon to benefit fully from the training we will do over the winter. The plan of this training program will be to get everyone out running regularly and gradually increase the miles covered per week while also introducing some speed work. We should be in a position at the end of January to start concentrating on working towards a goal race, It gives us 6 weeks specific training. But for a Marathon we would ideally need at least 12 weeks buildup (bear in mind we also need a 2-3 week taper) so we would be cutting it too fine. If doing a March marathon you would already have to be ramping up the LSR's from the start of January which I think is too soon. Would you all not consider leaving the marathon off until May/June instead? there are plenty of options around that time (Limerick, Kildare, Cork, Portumna)

Anyways the goal for next week is to get back out running regularly. Easy running will actually speed up your recovery from the marathon provided it is done at a genuinely easy pace (more about that below).

Since most of you used the Hal Higdon Novice Programme I see no harm in continuing on and using his recovery programme for the next few weeks. As the weeks go on we will start to modify it and add extra days, but for now as I say, the best thing is to go out and get used to running 4 days a week (albeit short runs).

So the plan for next week is as follows:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|2 mile easy|4miles easy|rest/cross|2m easy|rest/cross|50-60 min easy

Feel free to switch the days around for now to suit your lifestyle. Also If you were doing a different programme for DCM which involved running 5 days a week by all means add in an extra easy running day provided you feel up for it.

Easy pace
    All of the runs for the next while should be done at an easy pace. The goal is to keep up fitness while recovering so it is important not to stress the body too much.

What is easy pace?
    This is an area where novices often go wrong. the tendency is to run the easy runs too fast. You won't lose fitness by running slowly. In fact by running slowly you will gain fitness and be able to put in more miles. This will be important as we up the miles and start to do speed sessions so it's best to get into good habits. Easy pace should be exactly the same in a 2 mile run as a 10 mile run, so resist the temptation to run the shorter runs at a faster pace.

If you are used to running with a HR monitor, a good guide of easy pace is to run at 50 BPM below your max HR. So for example if you max HR is 190, you try to keep all your easy runs at or below 140bpm. The advantage of running by HR is that you can monitor progress quickly. You might find after a few weeks that your easy pace is getting faster while your HR stays low. If training by HR try to keep the HR at or below 50bpm below max at all times. So If your max is 190 don't run the first half of your run at 130 and the second half at 150 for an average of 140. keep it at or below 140 constantly.

For those who don't have a HRM or are not sure how it works: that's fine. We can also define 'easy' by pace.
    Easy Pace should be at least 1 min/mile slower than Marathon Pace. If you feel you didn't do yourself justice over the marathon then you can also use the following markers: at least 1.30/mile slower than half Marathon Pace or at least 2 min/mile slower than 10k pace.

Note that in all instances I say at least. There is no harm running slower than this but don't run faster. After a tough session or race I often do my easy runs at 9.30/mile. (My Marathon pace would be 7 min/mile and my HM pace would be 6.30/mile). After we all do our races again at the end of 4 weeks we can reassess easy pace again.

Best of luck for now and any questions fire ahead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey all!!

I see a few of you have indicated that you would like to do another Marathon in march. I wouldn't be over keen on that idea. I think it is a little too soon to benefit fully from the training we will do over the winter. The plan of this training program will be to get everyone out running regularly and gradually increase the miles covered per week while also introducing some speed work. We should be in a position at the end of January to start concentrating on working towards a goal race, It gives us 6 weeks specific training. But for a Marathon we would ideally need at least 12 weeks buildup (bear in mind we also need a 2-3 week taper) so we would be cutting it too fine. If doing a March marathon you would already have to be ramping up the LSR's from the start of January which I think is too soon. Would you all not consider leaving the marathon off until May/June instead? there are plenty of options around that time (Limerick, Kildare, Cork, Portumna)
    Thanks Meno. Had to get a cup of tea before I read your post - it was so long :p I'm just as happy not to do Tralee (driving down there = pain in the a$$) but what would you suggest instead? Its probably a bit too soon but I didn't see many options on the runireland calender!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

joe40 wrote: »

Yeah that's the one, and the winners get turkeys!! Its on 2nd of December @ 11:30 Registration and start at the Aura Leisure Centre, havent a clue where the course goes, hard to miss a hill in Letterkenny anyway!

Advertisement