Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Haha I'm not a bit jealous :p

You can join the detox though if you like!!!

NEVER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Are you coming to Waterford?

Na, unfortunately not. Work, work, work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Na, unfortunately not. Work, work, work.
    :mad: Work is over-rated....surely you know that by now!

blockic wrote: »
    NEVER!!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh1ZolZrgTK7aVsceu0mpUhH8dfDRnp0VttS1UH_s6qrQXHh5YTQ

:mad: Work is over-rated....surely you know that by now!

Know it only to well but Santa is coming soon and i have presents to buy for my little man. No mon, no fun for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Know it only to well but Santa is coming soon and i have presents to buy for my little man. No mon, no fun for him.

Career move must have a picture for this?!

Gavlor wrote: »
    :p

:p

Do it!

Do it!
    Ok then

santa+and+reindeer+smoke+cartoon.jpg

Funny thing is you have nailed my job in that photo.
    Holy Sh!t.....you're Santa Claus :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Funny thing is you have nailed my job in that photo.

You're Santa Claus!!!! :eek: :pac:

Holy Sh!t.....you're Santa Claus :eek::eek::eek:

Ssssssh keep it quiet!!!

Ssssssh keep it quiet!!!

He's a fraud I tells ya! For I am Santa

Ps, your username makes sense now

Ps, your username makes sense now

Its actually the place i was born, but i know where your coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Extremely frustrating evening, had a club session, hill repeats. I've been having ITB issues since DCM, my knee was not feeling the love for the downhill, halfway through session I threw in the towel and walked home. Felt like a quitter walking home even though I know it was pure stupid to run downhill with a dodgy knee. Did some foam rolling and strength stuff when I got home to try and work off some of the frustration. Going to take the rest of the week off, maybe just some cycling. I feel all my hard earned fitness slipping away. Feckin injuries!
    I'm exactly the same with my knee. Took the week off and cycled a bit. It's so frustrating. I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It's been squeaky buns the last few days with my knee too. Was grand running on Friday, hurt like Hell after cycling on Sat. Plenty of RICE on Sat and Sun into Mon and seems ok today, 4m went ok. Had visions of my coveted place in the Waterford half going unused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    It's been squeaky buns the last few days with my knee too. Was grand running on Friday, hurt like Hell after cycling on Sat. Plenty of RICE on Sat and Sun into Mon and seems ok today, 4m went ok. Had visions of my coveted place in the Waterford half going unused.

I think I might have to skip Waterford myself, havn't been well since I went out on Saturday night so havn't got in any training this week yet and doubt I'll get out today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Guys so sorry to read of all the injuries and gutted to once again add myself to this list:( my ankle which was sprained 7 weeks before DCM is starting to play up again. It's been a slight niggle the last few runs but could feel it getting worse last night so I reluctantly skipped this morning's session...I was so looking forward to it!! Think I'll rest it for a few days, do the exercises the physio gave me last time and take it from there. I remember the physio saying that 6 weeks off running would heal it completely, not sure I could handle that though! Frustrating to say the least, I may get back on my bike for now ... My only hope is that it's no where near as sore as it was last time so hopefully I've caught it early enough to get away with a fast recovery...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    rasher_m wrote: »
    I think I might have to skip Waterford myself, havn't been well since I went out on Saturday night so havn't got in any training this week yet and doubt I'll get out today either.
    Runchick wrote: »
    Guys so sorry to read of all the injuries and gutted to once again add myself to this listfrown.png my ankle which was sprained 7 weeks before DCM is starting to play up again. It's been a slight niggle the last few runs but could feel it getting worse last night so I reluctantly skipped this morning's session...I was so looking forward to it!! Think I'll rest it for a few days, do the exercises the physio gave me last time and take it from there. I remember the physio saying that 6 weeks off running would heal it completely, not sure I could handle that though! Frustrating to say the least, I may get back on my bike for now ... My only hope is that it's no where near as sore as it was last time so hopefully I've caught it early enough to get away with a fast recovery...
    Think I might have to add myself to the ‘dodgy for Waterford’ list! My knee was fine on my run last night which is great, but I now have a niggle on my right metatarsal. That just came out of nowhere! It was ok once I warmed up last night, but I was out walking the dog this morning and it was really painful. Again, it eased up after a mile or so, but there is a small bump on my fifth metatarsal. So not sure if it’s soft tissue damage or maybe a stress fracture on the bone. If it doesn’t improve, I’m going to have to go to the doctor, as I don’t want to make it worse by ignoring it.

Anyone else had metatarsal trouble?

Sounds great but for one little hitch... I'm targeting an 85 minute pb. Can't believe I'm considering pulling a sickie on a free night out cos of a fricken race
    85 minutes :eek::eek::eek:

Ok, might be advisable to stay off the sauce in that case :D

Unless you go, stay on the dry, record the ensueing madness and use as blackmail material against your co-workers ;)

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    85 minutes :eek::eek::eek:

Ok, might be advisable to stay off the sauce in that case :D

Unless you go, stay on the dry, record the ensueing madness and use as blackmail material against your co-workers ;)

That's funny cos my boss tends to drink non alcoholic becks and stroll around taking everything in, I'm amazed I'm still in a job :)

Sorry to hear about all the injuries. Bare in mind that for most of us, our legs have never been out thru anything like this level of abuse before. If you leave a car sitting in a driveway for years and suddenly start driving the crap out of it then your bound to be visiting the mechanic with problems.

But remember, itb, metatarsal injuries, muscular injuries ALL temporary and can be fixed with the proper treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear about everyones injuries. Unfortunately I think I can add myself to the injured knees list too. Hasn't been right since DCM. Physio says that its medial collateral inflammation and that its ok to run on but to stop if gets too sore. Anyone ever have this before?
    Did 4 easy miles on it yesterday evening and it hurts everytime on impact with the ground. So I'm thinking I should take a few days rest as well? :(:( Not happy. But I know a few days rest will hopefully fix the problem. I'm great for giving others advice but dont stick to it myself :(
    I have to say that I def went back doing fast stuff too soon. After my next marathon, I will stick to the easy runs for few weeks.

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about everyones injuries. Unfortunately I think I can add myself to the injured knees list too. Hasn't been right since DCM. Physio says that its medial collateral inflammation and that its ok to run on but to stop if gets too sore. Anyone ever have this before?
    Did 4 easy miles on it yesterday evening and it hurts everytime on impact with the ground. So I'm thinking I should take a few days rest as well? :(:( Not happy. But I know a few days rest will hopefully fix the problem. I'm great for giving others advice but dont stick to it myself :(
    I have to say that I def went back doing fast stuff too soon. After my next marathon, I will stick to the easy runs for few weeks.
    I agree on both counts DOCO, I’m great for giving the advice, but terrible at taking it!

I also regret rushing straight back into races and serious running, I just feel a bit tired both physically and mentally, having trouble getting into the mindset of training for a race so soon after DCM. If I were doing it again, I would just do easy training (like 15-20 miles a week) until the new year and then target another race. I think I will do that anyway after the Waterford Half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I also regret rushing straight back into races and serious running, I just feel a bit tired both physically and mentally, having trouble getting into the mindset of training for a race so soon after DCM. If I were doing it again, I would just do easy training (like 15-20 miles a week) until the new year and then target another race. I think I will do that anyway after the Waterford Half.

I think that's sensible advice. If anyone is injured, don't feel under pressure to keep up with this training programme. If you just have a niggle and a week off is enough, you can pretty much go back into the plan, but if the plan was causing the injury then back off the mileage a bit. A good physio is also wrth his/her weight in gold.
    But for people coming off a longer layoff doing 15-20 mpw unstructured (but very slowly) will be grand until the new year and then rejoin this plan.
    I repeat for the millionth time it is really important to do the easy runs very easy, this will really help in avoiding injuries and burnout.

People coming back from injury should not feel any pressure to jump into high mileage or speedwork, in fact that would be the completely wrong thing to do. In running Patience and consistency are the keys to long term improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I agree on both counts DOCO, I’m great for giving the advice, but terrible at taking it!

Same as ncmc it's hard to get back into focus so soon. I think we well myself anyhow was on such a buzz after Dublin I couldnt wait to get back running as soon as possible. Full of the joys and ignoring the niggles. It's allot more difficult to get out running these evenings and mornings too when it's so dark. Avoiding floods and cars on country roads isn't too nice in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think that's sensible advice. If anyone is injured, don't feel under pressure to keep up with this training programme. If you just have a niggle and a week off is enough, you can pretty much go back into the plan, but if the plan was causing the injury then back off the mileage a bit. A good physio is also wrth his/her weight in gold.
    But for people coming off a longer layoff doing 15-20 mpw unstructured (but very slowly) will be grand until the new year and then rejoin this plan.
    I repeat for the millionth time it is really important to do the easy runs very easy, this will really help in avoiding injuries and burnout.

People coming back from injury should not feel any pressure to jump into high mileage or speedwork, in fact that would be the completely wrong thing to do. In running Patience and consistency are the keys to long term improvement.

Great advice guys, I've been on the injured train too many times to ignore things this time. I reluctantly signed up to a spin class tonight - thankfully the bike doesn't affect my ankle - I just know I'll be sitting on that bike thinking about how much more I enjoy to run :rolleyes: Hopefully a week or so off and a trip to physio will get me back on track...I'm finding it particularly frustrating as I was really enjoying the training...all in good time I suppose...really need to get me some patience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I don't know if any of you have SKY, I recorded a few programmes off the fitness channel, to get some ideas for strength work, found a brilliant one, yogalosophy with Mandy Ingbur, just did the half hour, it was squats, calf raises, lunges, plank, side plank, push ups, sit ups, bridge, and stretches linked by yoga stretching, was really enjoyable, would def recommend. For any of the men who find the recommendation dubious she was gorgeous, tanned and wearing tiny shorts!

Thanks for all the advice re dodgy knees, sorry to hear there are so many in the same boat. Think meno's advice re backing off the mileage and doing easy running for a while makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Met up this morning,by accident,with a sub 30minute 5mile runner.
    My planned run this morning was a gentle few miles as I hope to go to the local winter league as well tonight.
    We ended up running just over 7mile in over 70 minutes,yes that's right over 10 minutes a mile.
    I initially thought that running with him would be a mistake as he would way too fast for my level but his easy runs are usually around this pace,a lot slower than what mine would be.
    Have to say I feel so much fresher now after that SLOW run.
    Think I've learned a good lesson from it.
    Looking forward to the Winter league now tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

docjewel wrote: »
    Met up this morning,by accident,with a sub 30minute 5mile runner.
    My planned run this morning was a gentle few miles as I hope to go to the local winter league as well tonight.
    We ended up running just over 7mile in over 70 minutes,yes that's right over 10 minutes a mile.
    I initially thought that running with him would be a mistake as he would way too fast for my level but his easy runs are usually around this pace,a lot slower than what mine would be.
    Have to say I feel so much fresher now after that SLOW run.
    Think I've learned a good lesson from it.
    Looking forward to the Winter league now tonight.

So your mate who can doe a sub 30min 5 miler also does 10min mile 7 mile runs also?

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Sorry to see all the bumps & bruises...

I'm another believer in the slow movement, currently running miles somewhere between 10.30 - 11.00 min. the real advantage is that there is no real stress put on the body & recovery is pretty much immediate.

With regards to current training, nearly all of us are looking at spring races; thats a long way off and all of us have a good level of fitness under our belts. a couple of weeks off will not damage the programme too dramatically but will significantly improve the niggles we are feeling. Theres plenty of other opportunities to keep fit in the meantime without pounding the streets.

Best of luck to you all but most of all, rest up & get better.

Advertisement