Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

murphd77 wrote: »
    Good stuff esp considering sore calf. Well done. Kicked my ass anyway :)

What time did you do yours? I started at 6.20am and still found the sun an issue by the last rep. I'm guessing yours was warmer and therefore much, much harder :)

Sore calf was very nearly used as an excuse to bail half way through - big big dose of HTFU used up this morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Runchick wrote: »
    What time did you do yours? I started at 6.20am and still found the sun an issue by the last rep. I'm guessing yours was warmer and therefore much, much harder :)

Sore calf was very nearly used as an excuse to bail half way through - big big dose of HTFU used up this morning ;)

Did mine about 5pm yesterday on the Clontarf seafront. Conditions similar to last sat - nice breeze on the way out but baking once you turn around. Tough alright! Mind you my next few runs will be in Italy on holiday so no doubt that will be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Meno's Session

Hoping to keep between 8:10/8:20

Rep 1: 8:14, 8:12
    Rep 2: 8:13, 8:19
    Rep 3: 8:03, 8:11

10 miles in total - tough but enjoyable workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

James Hospital Liberties 6K

A very warm evening in Dublin meant I wasn't really looking forward to this as me,the heat and running don't go well together. Had a tentative plan to try go for 7min miles and see how it went, however my Garmin reset itself just as the gun went which meant I had to set it up again on the run and as a result went off too fast and we were 1/4 mile in before I got it up and working again.
    Instead of holding off and then building up speed it was the same story with me again, off too fast and then trying to hang on which was tough in the humidity.

Anyway ,finished in 26:02, which I suppose since I had an original target of 27mins wasn't too bad but I need have more race discipline in future

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good to see the progression everyone, well done!

2days left of holidays and no running done but that was to be expected I suppose. Plantar pain is all but gone now, but that may be due to the lack of running rather than improvement, but to be honest not running for such a long time can only do the body good in repair & resting itself.

I have 2weeks left to get back in the runners again or I'm not going to run DCM13, no point in attempting it with less than 12 weeks training. Even now I'm pushing it, was looking at my garmin and it has been 5wks since I last run but I've been cycling & swimming so the fitness is still there.

I do miss pounding the streets, I feel as if my weight has ballooned (I'll weigh myself on my return!) and the one thing that I need is a large spray of WD40 on the joints to get them moving again.

Keep going, it is fun reading the session reports you're all doing in the heat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Good to see the progression everyone, well done!

2days left of holidays and no running done but that was to be expected I suppose. Plantar pain is all but gone now, but that may be due to the lack of running rather than improvement, but to be honest not running for such a long time can only do the body good in repair & resting itself.

I have 2weeks left to get back in the runners again or I'm not going to run DCM13, no point in attempting it with less than 12 weeks training. Even now I'm pushing it, was looking at my garmin and it has been 5wks since I last run but I've been cycling & swimming so the fitness is still there.

I do miss pounding the streets, I feel as if my weight has ballooned (I'll weigh myself on my return!) and the one thing that I need is a large spray of WD40 on the joints to get them moving again.

Keep going, it is fun reading the session reports you're all doing in the heat!
    Killian don't worry about being out for a few weeks. All the hard work you have done before will stand to you. I was out at Easter time for six and half weeks. I couldn't cycle or swim either. I couldn't believe how little fitness I had lost when I started running again. I felt really strong and actually all the little niggles had disappeared.,the rest and break will probably serve u well after doing two marathons in a year. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fingers crossed for your return Killian.

So the amazing, unexpected summer weather has to have some kind of impact on marathon training right? Running earlier, drinking plenty of water, etc... For me the biggest change to plan is cutting out the booze, I'm sorry but warm weather and beer were made for each other, goal posts have changed from no booze to no beer before a session or long run (hope I can manage that) :p

So the amazing, unexpected summer weather has to have some kind of impact on marathon training right? Running earlier, drinking plenty of water, etc... For me the biggest change to plan is cutting out the booze, I'm sorry but warm weather and beer were made for each other, goal posts have changed from no booze to no beer before a session or long run (hope I can manage that) :p

I think I'll have a beer and think about that one!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I dont drink that much but with a bottle of beer at night & perhaps a glass of wine I've enjoyed my injury layoff holidays immensely. I could get used to this very easily!

• Advertisement

Best of luck to anyone running the fingal 10k tomorrow or any other races this weekend. Don't forget the factor 50!

15.87 miles @9:03 .Just under 47 miles for the week.....and still injury free..woohoo:D

Good to see its nice and overcast for the 10K in Swords today. Still quite humid though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

41.00 for me in Fingal today. Really gutted not to get that extra couple of seconds to dip into the 40s but I ran something like a 46.40 over the last 10k I ran here in Swords last year so I cant really complain. Course was definitely faster this year with the only real hill in the last mile. Ran nice and controlled and didn't suffer really until the last mile and a half but started way to far back which cost me a few secs, overall though I have to be happy with the progress.

41.00 for me in Fingal today. Really gutted not to get that extra couple of seconds to dip into the 40s but I ran something like a 46.40 over the last 10k I ran here in Swords last year so I cant really complain. Course was definitely faster this year with the only real hill in the last mile. Ran nice and controlled and didn't suffer really until the last mile and a half but started way to far back which cost me a few secs, overall though I have to be happy with the progress.

Great time there OP.Big improvement on last year even considering the course change.Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great racing OP.
    2 plans again this week. Those that raced the 10k today had a lower mileage week so a step up in mileage this week but keeping the pace fairly handy to allow you to recover from the race.

For those that didn't race; next week is a step back week in terms of mileage. Don't be tempted to run the easy runs any harder than normal; let the body recover this week as the mileage will start increasing again from next week. Sometimes we just need to take a step back even if we don't feel we need it.

Raced Fingal 10k:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    recovery| Easy/rest| easy/rest| 10 miles with 6 @ MP|Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-16 miles easy| 40-46 miles

Those on a step back week:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10x 400m @3-5k pace| recovery|Easy/rest|easy/rest|10 miles with 6 @ MP| 30-33 miles

So basically those that raced Fingal or had a step-back week have to get the mileage back up to that of last weeks group; however the session should be put off until Thursday to allow recovery from the race. It is also a little easier than their session last week (MP instead of HMP) though you should do the 6 miles continuous.

Those on the step-back: the session is a standard 10 x 400m. Take 60 seconds recovery between intervals. The pace should be a touch faster that your 5k pace- something like your 3k or 2mile pace.
    Sundays Long run is a step-back in terms of distance but the addition of MP miles should make it interesting. Again do the 6 miles continuous (2 mile warm up, 6 @MP and 2 mile cool down).

Next week we will be back on track with a single plan for all.

Thanks Meno, I'm racing a 10k next Sunday so will do the stepback week the 10kers did this week. What do you reckon I do about the next week then - do I do the first week shown above or can I jump back in to your plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Meno, I'm racing a 10k next Sunday so will do the stepback week the 10kers did this week. What do you reckon I do about the next week then - do I do the first week shown above or can I jump back in to your plan?

Yep, do the stepback week (from last week) this week and jump back into the plan next week.
    Maybe leave the Wednesday session off until Thursday of next week to allow yourself to recover from the race.

Fantastic improvement OP, over 5 min PB for that distance is super, well done :D

Fantastic improvement OP, over 5 min PB for that distance is super, well done :D

Cheers RC, v happy with the run overall, felt strong but maybe 41.10 would have been easier to take than 41.00, but in saying that I would have 100% snapped ur arm off for that yesterday but sure were such competitive sods we probably always spot a few secs here and there whether they're there or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Anyone else seeing a problem with the log for this week? It's not adding up my totals correctly (pretty turf it was earlier) and I'm on mobile so can't see what it's doing.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great time there OP.Big improvement on last year even considering the course change.Well done.

Thayks RR, few pints of the black stuff aided the recovery no end, deserved after being the tee total oddball at a great BBQ last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Massive pb for me too at the fingal ten k albeit a much much slower one. Did this in 54.40 .thrilled with that as had not broken 55 mins before. Last yr it took me 1hr 11 mins so can definitely see I am improving with my speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Anyone else seeing a problem with the log for this week? It's not adding up my totals correctly (pretty turf it was earlier) and I'm on mobile so can't see what it's doing.

You should be sorted there now C.
    dechol wrote: »
    Massive pb for me too at the fingal ten k albeit a much much slower one. Did this in 54.40 .thrilled with that as had not broken 55 mins before. Last yr it took me 1hr 11 mins so can definitely see I am improving with my speed!

Super improvement dechol, you must be chuffed. Well done.

Well done to everyone else running yesterday too, some great times in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Fantastic running yesterday folks, congrats to u all .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Ya congrats everyone on all the super running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Week|Plan|Weekly Sessions|Miles This Week| YTD Miles | Comments

1|P&D <55|2|33m| 631m | First week of P&D, all runs completed!
    2|P&D <55|1|23m| 654m | Knee started hurting towards end of week.
    3|P&D <55|0|11m| 665m | 1 run, physio for knee.
    4|P&D <55|0| 0m | 665m | 0 run, physio for knee.

So as you can see not a good start to marathon training, have some tendon damage in knee. Back to physio later in week and hope to get back doing some easy miles tomorrow. At this stage I think I'm going to try and build up over the next couple of weeks and then follow the P&D 12 week plan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Hi all, not being doing any posting lately, but have been lurking here and following everyones logs. Life just seems to be too busy to run and post.
    Have been tipping away trying to get the mileage in. I did the Achill half last week, OMG is all I can say. I knew it was supposed to be hilly..........I didn't know it was THAT hilly. I did the DCM half last year when I was in better shape than I am now in 2.10, so I knew it was going to take me longer than that, I was on for 2.10 until I got to mile 8. I got a stitch on both sides at the same time and then my back kind of went into spasm joing up the two stitches. It was like a tight band squeezing the whole of my torso. Made breathing an ordeal so the last five miles were torture. Finished up at 2.21 but was just glad to finish at all. Major drinking session and the worst hangover of my life followed thereafter.
    Training away for DCM 13 anyway. Following a plan done up by Raycun, which fits in the club sessions that I do, so I'm not constantly messing with the plan trying to fit stuff in. It's not a huge mileage plan compared to what some of you guys do, but it's a fair step up from HH1 from last year so hope to take a chunk off last years time. Not that bothered with the race series this year, I think I'll join in when it gets to the 10 miles and the half of course.
    Trying to fit in the runs in around life at the moment in the worst bit not the actual running of them. Did a gorgeous 12 miles yesterday from Tallaght up to the Bohernabreena resevoir, a loop of the top lake and back down. Anyone who is familiar with that area should give that one a go. Loads of runners out, hilly without being too hilly and really lovely views. (tripped over a rock and took a nosedive into some thorny bushes and nettles, one full leg ripped to shreds and second half of run was ran with blood running down my leg, thats the end of my skirt wearing in the good weather :-))

Good to hear it's going well for you DeeDee - except trip sounded a bit extreme. I've been quiet for a bit (added (quite)a few lbs) and just as I was geting started training seriously again a niggling PF has kicked up. I've been told not to run for a bit and get back to DCM 12 weight before I run again - so mad jealo of all the training going on but looks like I'm out of DCM13 unless I return to me roots and walk it Or I've been thinking maybe I need to be a marshall for once! Disgusted not to be there to take a chunk off too! Anyway Weight reduction started in earnest 2 weeks ago @16:01 and down 7 lbs so far with biking and gym, target is 13:7 max and maybe a spring marathon?
    sassyj wrote: »
    Hi Deedee , I'm finding the same. Can't keep up with the mileage logging either. I have joined a club, and do that Tues and Thurs and what we do varies each week so I am finding it hard to pick a marathon training plan, all a bit aimless at the moment, just going out on weekend and doping an lsr, but need to find something a bit more concrete. Must ask in the club. Well done on getting through the half!

Sassyj - did you join Clonlife in the end?

Great to see everyone going well and best of luck to all in training for DCM 13

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to read of your injuries Weetabix and Walkedit. Hope you will both be back following plans soon!
    I've been following my own Physio advice and haven't been out for a run since Sat. It's amazing how sluggish I feel from doing nothing (a good few drinks at the weekend too prob hasn't helped). I'm debating going into a training session in GCH tonight for a look. Think I could do with a few training partners over the next few months to keep me motivated. But a bit anxious about going.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

That's a bummer Walkedit, will have to find someone else to talk at for 20+ miles :-)

Well done on the weight loss, keep it up at you'll be back at it in no time.
    Hope the injury resolves soon, not running is tough.

• Advertisement

Wk3 Meno Session

10 x 400m @ 3-5k pace w/60 sec rest in between

Given my recent 2 mile race time of 13:18, reckoned 6:40min/mi was an appropriate pace to aim for. Set my garmin for 0.25mi intervals and the reps went as follows:
    Rep# - Time(secs) -Pace - avgHR/MaxHR
    Rep 1 - 98 - 6:33 (139/145)
    Rep2 - 99 - 6:36 (132/145)
    Rep3 - 99 - 6:37 (129/146)
    Rep4 - 98 - 6:30 (131/150)
    Rep5 - 97 - 6:28 (138/153)
    Rep6 - 98 - 6:32 (139/152)
    Rep7 - 97 - 6:27 (139/153)
    Rep8 - 96 - 6:24 (143/156)
    Rep9 - 97 - 6:28 (144/157)
    Rep10 -90 - 5:59 (145/162)

Avg HR : 136
    Max HR : 162

Very happy with this. Reckon my 5k time(22:15) is worth taking a pop at soon

Advertisement