Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

murphd77 wrote: »
    Would be even faster if it was actually 10k!

ha ha yeah even faster, its just a rough map out of the course by someone in the race thread, looks good overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

docjewel wrote: »
    After taking a break from internet use over the last 2 weeks or so I've a bit if catching up to do on this thread & all ye're logs.
    In a quick glance seems like some good running over the last few weeks & the best of luck to everyone following Meno's marathon plan for Dublin.

Since Cork I've probably tried to over analysis what went wrong to the point that running practically became a chore,races included.
    So after taking a little break from reading about running 24/7ish last Friday mornings run was the first one i've really enjoyed in awhile.I'm still hoping to do Dublin but realisticaIy I won't be able to put in the same time I did for Cork but hopefully in another few weeks I'm gonna fall into Meno's plan & follow that.

Its good to have you back at runnersanonymous doc ;) ...our little addiction definitely needs a break from time to time but best of luck with the return to madness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anyone doing the Fingal 10k, just been looking at the course profile and it seems a fast one this year, certainly compared to last years slog fest!

Was going to do it but am signed up for stJames Hospital Liberties Run on the Thursday before, along with some work colleagues,which I will do as my session that week. It is definitely flatter than last years alright. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

RedRunner wrote: »
    Meno Session#2

Plan
    :

2 miles easy warm up followed by 8 minutes steady (MP + 3-4%)(8:50); 8 minutes @ MP(8:35); 8 Minutes @ HMP(8:00); 8 Minutes Hard (approx 10kpace)(7:30);
    2 miles c/d at the end.

Session Target pace Actual Pace

WarmUp 9:10-9:20 9:06

Section1 8:50 8:56

Section2 8:35 8:37

Section3 8:00 7:57

Section4 7:30 7:20

CoolDown None 9:36

Total mileage 7.92mi @8:46avg

RESPECT Redrunner to yourself and also to anyone else doing the session during the day in that heat. I did 3easy miles today instead of the planned session and boy was I sweating. I brought water with me and had to leave at side of road cos find it annoying carrying something. collected it on way back. Im going to get up early tomo morn and do the session first thing before the heat really sets in! Wow it's bliss though this weather long may it last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was going to do it but am signed up for stJames Hospital Liberties Run on the Thursday before, along with some work colleagues,which I will do as my session that week. It is definitely flatter than last years alright. Best of luck with it.

I did the Liberties Run last year - it was my favourite event apart from DCM. It's great to run in the city centre and the event was very well marshalled and traffic controlled indeed (they obviously have a good relationship with the Gardai). Unfortunately I will miss this year's event as I'll be away on holiday but I highly recommend it. It's an unusual length - 6k this year!

• Advertisement

DOCO12 wrote: »

RESPECT Redrunner to yourself and also to anyone else doing the session during the day in that heat. I did 3easy miles today instead of the planned session and boy was I sweating. I brought water with me and had to leave at side of road cos find it annoying carrying something. collected it on way back. Im going to get up early tomo morn and do the session first thing before the heat really sets in! Wow it's bliss though this weather long may it last :)[/quote]

Thanks it was hard going out there alright. I did it at 9.30am but was still very warm. I normally sweat a bit but I was ringing after today's run!Good luck with it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Session tonight, I went out around 8 so it was cooling down nicely but still absolutely sweating buckets, made worse by throngs of people suppin' cans all around the Park before the gig tonight!

1.5 mile W/U
    8 mins steady 7.52 pace
    8 mins MP 7.30 pace
    8 mins HMP 7.06 pace
    8 mins hard 6.27 pace

Tough going by the end, eyes were really bulging for the last 90 seconds of it as I tried to keep the pace going, very enjoyable though. The paces were pulled more or less off McMillan based on a recent 5k but id say MP and HMP are a bit on the quick side right now. Glad to get it done but my legs were feeling fairly beat up on the cool down. A little over 8 miles running in all. Ill look forward to a nice easy recovery tomorrow.

Waited till after 9 to do the session tonight so that it would be a little cooler. Here's how it went (I use the metric system). :D

Stage (Target Pace) Actual Pace Average HR (HR%)
    Warmup 3.2k (5:54) 5:52 153 (74%)
    8 mins Steady (5:29) 5:30 155 (76%)
    8 mins MP (5:16) 5:16 161 (81%)
    8 mins HMP (4:56) 4:58 171 (89%) :eek:
    8 mins 10kP (4:45) 4:46 177 (94%) :eek:
    Cooldown 3.2k (6:53) 6:49 151 (73%)

Total 12.66k (5:4?) 5:43 158 (78%)

Happy enough with that - I was using the Garmin virtual pacer and thought I was bang on for each stage so I'm surprised to see I was a little slow on two of them. Having said that I find it hard to see some of the smaller displays on the watch without glasses so that might have had something to do with it.

But this felt good - it really only felt tough during the last few minutes of the 10k pace section, at which point I was breathing quite hard. Heart rate is not something I've paid much attention to in the past (possibly as my HRM was faulty). However now that I've gotten a replacement HRM (with the premium garmin strap), I'm a little alarmed at the heart data though. Does this look a little too high?

[Re HR, I'm working off a min 60 max 185 assumption - the 185 max is close to one of the various age-related formulae (I'm 52) and it's the highest I've ever recorded on the HRM. The min 60 I have measured first thing in the morning before getting out of bed.]

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Meno Session 2

Did at 10pm tonite lovely and cool: (target pace) - actual pace

2 miles w/up

Lap 1 (9:20) - 9:12
    Lap 2 (8:55) - 8:46
    Lap 3 (8:20) - 8:35
    Lap 4 (7:55) - 7:52

Thought I did better on Lap 2 - virtual pacer showed 8:20 - was fairly dark though:confused: time was 8:16 but still.

1.5 c/down - enjoyed this progression run

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

So due to this glorious weather we're having I opted to set the alarm for 6.40 ,throw on my gear, down some water no time for brekkie and be on the road for 7 to avoid the heat. I was anxious going as over the last few weeks my legs have been heavy and Ive been fearing Im losing my ability abit. Was extremely sore after racing last weekend so went for my first deep tissue massage Tues eve, boy did it hurt but good pain if ya know what I mean.:P So after doing this I was hopefully that Id be bouncing down the road.
    The session started off well but ended in disaster.
    2 miles warmup - Very comfortable legs not feeling heavy
    1st rep : 8.14/mile (aim 8.12/mile)
    2nd Rep: 7.58/mile (aim 7.55/mile)
    3rd rep : 7.38/mile (aim 7.30/mile)
    4th rep: 7.49/mile (aim 6.55/mile):(:(

The first three reps felt fine and I think looking at my watch so much was slowing me down, first rep Id to force myself to slow. At the end of the 3rd rep my right hip/glute was hurting so although I know HUGE MISTAKE I stopped to stretch it, well whatever way I stretched it made it a million times worse, was so tight for the final rep I could not push myself after this. :mad:So a disaster for a first session for me. I just didnt have it this morning. Maybe trying to do a session on empty is a no go area for me, only do recovery/easy on empty. Or maybe my body is still recovering from the massage? :confused:On my cooldown I was convincing myself Im overtrained and I need to take the rest of the week off but I doubt thats the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »
    So due to this glorious weather we're having I opted to set the alarm for 6.40 ,throw on my gear, down some water no time for brekkie and be on the road for 7 to avoid the heat. I was anxious going as over the last few weeks my legs have been heavy and Ive been fearing Im losing my ability abit. Was extremely sore after racing last weekend so went for my first deep tissue massage Tues eve, boy did it hurt but good pain if ya know what I mean.:P So after doing this I was hopefully that Id be bouncing down the road.
    The session started off well but ended in disaster.
    2 miles warmup - Very comfortable legs not feeling heavy
    1st rep : 8.14/mile (aim 8.12/mile)
    2nd Rep: 7.58/mile (aim 7.55/mile)
    3rd rep : 7.38/mile (aim 7.30/mile)
    4th rep: 7.49/mile (aim 6.55/mile):(:(

The first three reps felt fine and I think looking at my watch so much was slowing me down, first rep Id to force myself to slow. At the end of the 3rd rep my right hip/glute was hurting so although I know HUGE MISTAKE I stopped to stretch it, well whatever way I stretched it made it a million times worse, was so tight for the final rep I could not push myself after this. :mad:So a disaster for a first session for me. I just didnt have it this morning. Maybe trying to do a session on empty is a no go area for me, only do recovery/easy on empty. Or maybe my body is still recovering from the massage? :confused:On my cooldown I was convincing myself Im overtrained and I need to take the rest of the week off but I doubt thats the problem.

You live and learn DOCO. I persoanlly could never do a session like that so early in the morning on empty (others seem to have no problem). Next time I suggest trying to do the session in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm doing both ... hope the few days off in between will be enough.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm doing both ... hope the few days off in between will be enough.

Good stuff. I did both last year but am playing it safe so as to try stay injury free by reducing the number of races between now and DCM.

Good stuff. I did both last year but am playing it safe so as to try stay injury free by reducing the number of races between now and DCM.

You're probably very sensible. I'm unsure if I'm being wise! I REALLY don't want another terrible 10k time. I was so disappointed with my performance in Manorhamilton last weekend. oh well, the Liberties one is fun, so I'll just do my best at them both!

^^^^^I'dsayyoull be fine. It's just you know how prone I can be to injury so trying to be sensible. It's a good sign to be disappointed with last week but still having claimed a prize!

^^^^^I'dsayyoull be fine. It's just you know how prone I can be to injury so trying to be sensible. It's a good sign to be disappointed with last week but still having claimed a prize!

Thanks, but prize or no prize, you saw my time! And I can't blame the course because some of my fellow Leitrim-holidaymakers ran PBs. Anyway, i liked my hamper, and I'd recommend the race. it's lovely countryside and a great homemade spread afterwards.

Got my recovery run in this evening, 4.47mi@9:07avg. I read somewhere on here that recovery runs should only be 4-5 miles so kept it to that. I could easily have turned this into an easy run and doubled it but stuck to the plan.

It felt painfully slow though and surprised the pace wasn't more in the 9:15-20 bracket. So much so that when HelenAnne from on here passed me by I was at pains to say "I'M ON A RECOVERY RUN" :D. Isn't it gas how we get so self conscious about these things as we improve...or is that just me?

Got my recovery run in this evening, 4.47mi@9:07avg. I read somewhere on here that recovery runs should only be 4-5 miles so kept it to that. I could easily have turned this into an easy run and doubled it but stuck to the plan.

It felt painfully slow though and surprised the pace wasn't more in the 9:15-20 bracket. So much so that when HelenAnne from on here passed me by I was at pains to say "I'M ON A RECOVERY RUN" :D. Isn't it gas how we get so self conscious about these things as we improve...or is that just me?

I guessed you were even before you said it! I would have asked you to come on & run with us but when you said 'recovery run' I knew you would be being sensible about pace. Not sure how far we went - from the club out to the church in Sutton and then back along the sea front & I turned up Foxes Lane. 6 miles at about 7.45 pace I think. I really enjoyed it - I was tired starting out & when I met you, but sort of warmed into it.

I'll do my recovery 4 miles tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Just reading through some posts with awe at your paces, well done all! Am I the only one who feels I'm running really bad at moment, seriously can't believe I did a 1.40 HM at end March (7.38m) pace, really feel cud hardly run 1 mile at that pace at moment. Every run, even recovery feels like an effort, I know that hot weather is tough but I haven't really been running in hottest part of day, usually leave it till 7.30-8pm. The easy runs are def enjoyable to get out in that sunshine but when I look at pace its disheartening, though I am trying to keep my HR in zone 1( which for me is under 142) think I cud walk faster as hard to keep it down. Did 8 m yesterday eve with 6 m as progressive tempo but pace felt like 5k though over 1-1.5 min slower / mile pace. Just wondering if anyone else feeling same! Just feel in no shape to do the national half in few weeks time!

New runner wrote: »
    Just reading through some posts with awe at your paces, well done all! Am I the only one who feels I'm running really bad at moment, seriously can't believe I did a 1.40 HM at end March (7.38m) pace, really feel cud hardly run 1 mile at that pace at moment. Every run, even recovery feels like an effort, I know that hot weather is tough but I haven't really been running in hottest part of day, usually leave it till 7.30-8pm. The easy runs are def enjoyable to get out in that sunshine but when I look at pace its disheartening, though I am trying to keep my HR in zone 1( which for me is under 142) think I cud walk faster as hard to keep it down. Did 8 m yesterday eve with 6 m as progressive tempo but pace felt like 5k though over 1-1.5 min slower / mile pace. Just wondering if anyone else feeling same! Just feel in no shape to do the national half in few weeks time!
    I've definitely had that this year - I had a few chest infections in the winter and spring, and as they were coming on, before I got properly sick, I kept getting dropped in runs by people I could normally manage to keep pace with. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Then I hurt my back & then my foot, and I really felt I lost fitness & speed in the few easy weeks and rest weeks.
    I felt like you in my 10k race last Saturday - I tried so hard, but my time was my slowest since last September, and I just couldn't speed up, I really had to use every mental trick not to just stop, so I know how you feel.
    it can be disheartening, but I bet if you look back a year or so you'll see that despite peaks and troughs you're still improving, whether in speed or endurance or mileage.
    Sometimes it just takes a few things going OK for you to feel good about running again. For example, I've done two shorter races the last two weeks, and even though my times weren't fantastic, at least I felt like I was racing & going well while I was running, so that sort of cheered me up!
    I'm no expert, but I'd say just try to get lots of sleep (boring, but that's what finally got me feeling perfect again after my 3 chest infections) and don't push too hard, just try to enjoy running for a while until you feel better. It's early in your marathon plan, so I'd say (leap in here experts) that it's better to get yourself feeling rested now than to push too hard too early & burn out?
    Good luck! hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great advice there HelenAnne, I am in the same boat as NewRunner but just building things back up again hoping to be back on form by marathon time. Excellent point about looking back to last year though, I now run LSRs faster than last years MP so even while race times are stagnant I'm definitely progressing. Maybe not as swiftly as many of the speedsters around here but happy out all the same:) NewRunner I feel your pain, I thought it was just me so thanks for posting :)

Nope, feel like I'm in the best form of my life.

But I've been where you are and HelenAnne and Runchick make good points. You should also look at your training at the moment, are you getting the mix of easy, hard and lsr right. Are you possibly overtraining? Remember youve done over 1000 miles so far this year, no mean achievement. How does that compare to last year? Are you feeling well in yourself when you are not running etc. All these questions are also relevant to your current performance levels. Hope you come out of the dip soon.;)

Thanks Helen Anne n runchick, glad I not only 1!
    Also thanks redrunner, yeah in scheme of things I've a lot of miles under my belt n then got bursitis 3 weeks out from marathon n have had lot bother with blistered feet so I suppose all these things have an effect. This time last year I was only running about 10 weeks so big jump from last yr. Redrunner I got my zones done 2 weeks ago so I'm trying to stick to them as I feel I prob did overtrain b4 marathon on 2nd June which lead to injury. . Just nice to know I'm not on my own and others suffer from these periods of feeling below par too. Will get back up there again soon. At least I able to run so shouldn't b complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Was definitely feeling the same New runner,up tO last night I was pretty disappointed with not getting close to my PB for recent 5 mile races,so much so I didnt even write a race report for one 2 weeks ago(even though in hindsight it was a respectable 37:03).
    I know blockic was saying to us below in Cork that it'd take about 5weeks to get over the marathon,boy was he right.
    I don't think we realise how much trauma we put our bodies through in marathon running & also in all the training leading up to it.Take into account illnesses/families & whatever else life throws at us & it can really knock the stuffing out of us,it's like the body shuts down after a marathon & tells you its gonna recover.
    Of course everybody is different & some recover faster than others,but stick with it & you'll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Race Report,Rathgormack 5 mile

So after feeling pretty disappointed 2 weeks ago with my run at the Shanagrry5 mile race I didn't do a race report,in hindsight it wasnt too bad,37:03

So last night headed to t=The Comeragh mountains for some warm weather altitude training:D
    The course is pretty hilly so had set myself a target of around 37:45/38:00

Not many runners entered this race(just 90) so there was always a good chance of running on your own.
    For the first half mile I tucked with a group who I know would be around my time,thsi section was pretty flat befroe we hit the first uphill section,I pushed on here while & made a little headway throw the numbers before we hit a pretty staightish stretch of rolling hills for the next 1 1/2 miles.
    Pretty pleased to be able to push on & pass a few runners on the uphill section while leaving the body,with its recently accquired weight:P,& gravity do the work on the downhill sections.on the last downhill section I was joined by one the local athletics club runners,I thought he'd push on with the speed he'd attacked the last downhill section with but he was very content to just sit on my shoulder.The last 1 1/2 miles is completly uphill,there were a few runners strung out ahead,a narrow road but was thankfully shaded.
    I was still feeling pretty fresh at this stage so pushed on as best I could,started to close the gap on the runner ahead while opening a gap between the lad on my shoulder as well.
    Hit the 4 mile mark still heading uphill & still feeling pretty good,had passed the runner ahead & now had set ny sights on a group of 3 while the lad behind had made up some ground on me while I hadstopped/walked at the water stop.
    The group of 3 ahead was slowly breaking up,passed the 1st guy at the final bend for home which was a tough uphill section & with the sun blinding me it was impossible to actualy see where the finish line was.Passe the 2nd guy in the group but had my running buddy on my shoulder again,I really thought he'd catch me here but it was a matter of emptying the tanks & see what happened with about 0.3 mile to go.
    Crossed the line in 37:27 with my nemisis for the night just 4 seconds behind,a good nights work.

Talking to a few runners that had ran the practically flat Dungarvan GSK 5 mile last Friday night,they seeemed to be between 1:30 & 2:00 minutes slower last night which gives an indication of what kind race it was.
    Pretty pleased with the effort last night,looking forward to a few more tough 5 mile races over the next few weeks.

Mile 1|Mile2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile5
    7:22|6:57|7:29|7:55|7:44

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done D, that's super running in difficult conditions. I know that's a monkey off your back as you haven't been happy with recent races. Hopefully you will start to feel a bit more positive about your running now (and maybe send some of that positivity over this way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

New Runner, you have just described me to the letter! Feel like I'm getting slower and slower. Have a HM in 5 weeks and I feel like I'd be dreaming if I thought a PB was on the cards. Did a disastrous 5 mile race last night, 2 minutes slower than one I did in February in which I had run an LSR the previous day and had a gammy knee! My running since Cork has been one speed only - slow, and after last nights race, I actually felt nauseous and like I would pass out. And that was at the speed that up until I adjusted my target in April, had been my pmp! I can't even blame injury or illness as other than the legs been a bit tight since Cork, I've been fine.

I think it's normal to go through stages were you're not really feeling it. I'm blaming it on a bit of a lull after all the training for Cork and a difficult race that day. The weather isn't helping either, even at 9pm it's still warm.

Try not to worry too much. Hopefully when the weather cools a bit, we'll feel more like ourselves again and really, what's wrong with a few weeks of slow lazy runs, in some ways it's nice just to take the pressure off and not always be training with a specific goal in mind.

22k LSR today, so 48k (30m) for the week. A good progression from last week.

Deep respect to those who raced yesterday in the heat - I was struggling to keep going towards the end today.

Thanks guys for your replies n advise n taking the time to assure me I'm not alone in feeling sluggish etc. Although I'm sorry to hear u feeling in same way at least it's nice to know others feeling or have felt same in past n got over it. Tbh think I'd need to cut back on eating a bit as I feel I cud do with losing a bit weight, didnt cut back on my eating after marathon even though obviously not doing anywhere near the miles. Must try doing some core work too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Some of you might be doing the Race series 10k next Sunday. In that case I would use this coming week as a step back week both in terms of miles and intensity.
    For those not racing, this will be our third 'build' week so next week will be your step back week.

So I will put up 2 plans this week:

Not racing

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| session; Tempo run| Recovery|Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-16 miles easy| 40-46 miles

For those racing the Fingal 10k:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10 miles with strides or Hill sprints| Easy/rest|Easy/rest| Rest or recovery run|10k race| 30-33 miles

Wednesday Session: tempo run
    There are many definitions of tempo run or tempo pace. For this session I would expect you to complete the hard miles somewhere between 10m and HM pace or 85-90% Max HR. Don't worry if the course is a bit hilly and you don't hit exactly even paces each mile- just make sure the effort remains about the same.

The session is 3 x 2 miles with half mile/5 minute jog recoveries Make sure to have a nice warm up and cool down meaning you should cover 10-12 miles in total.

For those racing next Sunday, Wednesday is you 'long run' to be done easy, but throw in a few strides or hill sprints near the end of the run. You can also do a set of strides in one of the other easy/recovery runs. Even try out a set of Pyramid strides if you want. (20 seconds on 20 off; 40 on 40 off; 1min on 1 min off; 40 on 40 off; 20 on 20 off).

Good luck!!

Advertisement