Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Alanm wrote: »
    Hi Meno, any thoughts on how I should handle this week? I've got the rock-n-roll half next Monday.

I obviously won't do the LSR at the weekend, was thinking of doing the session tomorrow evening and then taking it pretty handy for the rest of the week. Sound ok?

Yeah that sounds like a good plan; get the session out of the way early and only easy running the rest of the week. If you want to run a good half don't even try to hit the weekly mileage target either.....you will also have to miss next weeks session given that it would only be 2 days after the race. That's the problem with racing halfs; they really change your plan about. I was thinking that no-one was doing a half until the end of September.

I'll be racing there myself. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Any advice on a new garmin???

Absolutely gutted today to realise I've lost my Garmin watch. Hadn't seen it since last week, but assumed it would turn up somewhere. Searched the house and car from top to bottom and no sign. Last time I remember seeing it was in the car, so I reckon some slim armed person stole it through my slightly opened window while I was in Aldi :( Wouldn't happen in Superquinn I say!

I am doubly annoyed as A) I could really do without the expense of a new one and B) I am a total Luddite and absolutely hate having to learn how to use new things!

I had the 205 and while I would love the 305 as it looks pretty similar to use, it's beyond my budget so I have narrowed it down to the 110 with HRM for £114 or the 410 with HRM for £146. Is the 410 worth the extra few quid? I think I have read that the bezel is a bit fiddly? Ease of use and one less likely to require reading the manual would be my preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Personally I'd buy the 310 on Amazon for £169.99 including HRM - just for its waterproofness. Works pretty much like the 205/305 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

ncmc wrote: »

Absolutely gutted today to realise I've lost my Garmin watch. Hadn't seen it since last week, but assumed it would turn up somewhere. Searched the house and car from top to bottom and no sign. Last time I remember seeing it was in the car, so I reckon some slim armed person stole it through my slightly opened window while I was in Aldi :( Wouldn't happen in Superquinn I say!

I am doubly annoyed as A) I could really do without the expense of a new one and B) I am a total Luddite and absolutely hate having to learn how to use new things!

I had the 205 and while I would love the 305 as it looks pretty similar to use, it's beyond my budget so I have narrowed it down to the 110 with HRM for £114 or the 410 with HRM for £146. Is the 410 worth the extra few quid? I think I have read that the bezel is a bit fiddly? Ease of use and one less likely to require reading the manual would be my preference!

I have the 410 and really like it. You get used to the bezel pretty quickly and you can lock it so that you don't activate anything by hitting off it accidentally. Like the way you can set up a session online and then just send it to the watch via the Ant+ USB. Plus you get two extra (soft) straps as spares with kit for changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

RedRunner wrote: »
    I have the 410 and really like it. You get used to the bezel pretty quickly and you can lock it so that you don't activate anything by hitting off it accidentally. Like the way you can set up a session online and then just send it to the watch via the Ant+ USB. Plus you get two extra (soft) straps as spares with kit for changing.

Have the 410 too. Very easy to use and read feedback but still not too big . Bezel is grand unless you want to setup a session on mile 25 of a marathon !! No issues and I paid 170 sterling 8 months ago so better price now. Im not able to send session to the watch from online though. Can upload all right but it wont download to the watch. I must be doing something wrong but I do sessions manually on the go anyway.

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    Have the 410 too. Very easy to use and read feedback but still not too big . Bezel is grand unless you want to setup a session on mile 25 of a marathon !! No issues and I paid 170 sterling 8 months ago so better price now. Im not able to send session to the watch from online though. Can upload all right but it wont download to the watch. I must be doing something wrong but I do sessions manually on the go anyway.

I thought I had problem with it too until I noticed that when you send session from garmin site it appears in the advanced session not the simple one on the watch. maybe youve checked this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's a great price for the 410. I paid a lot more. The bezel is fine - really don't understand the complaints about it. The interface (operating system) is another story - clunky at best, but functional. This watch does a decent job when you learn to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I recently upgraded from the 110 to the 410 and absolutely love it. The 110 is fairly limited in comparison and I haven't used most of the features on the 410 yet! The bezel is fine and its pretty straight forward to get going. If by some miracle your old watch turns up you can always sell it, I couldn't believe how much people were prepared to pay for my old one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi, I don't know if you looked on ebay, but you can get a 410, for $190 (around €140), including p&p from the US. It's refurbished from Garmin factory, and comes with 1 year warranty. A friend of mine got one a few months ago, and is delighted with it. HTH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-FORERUNNER-410-GPS-FITNESS-SPORTS-WATCH-W-USB-ANT-010-00658-40-/170969797059?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Thanks for all the replies folks, think I will go for the 410, it sounds like it isn't that hard to use and it looks a bit neater in size than the 205. A HRM at last! That should be interesting/confusing :pac:
    RubyK wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know if you looked on ebay, but you can get a 410, for $190 (around €140), including p&p from the US. It's refurbished from Garmin factory, and comes with 1 year warranty. A friend of mine got one a few months ago, and is delighted with it. HTH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-FORERUNNER-410-GPS-FITNESS-SPORTS-WATCH-W-USB-ANT-010-00658-40-/170969797059?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
    They sound perfect, but when you add postage, it's not coming in much cheaper than the Amazon one, so think I'd pay the extra to have the peace of mind of buying from Amazon.

Have to go and figure how to use the Endomondo app on my phone now before my club session tonight :o

• Advertisement

Me again, just looking at refurbished units online. I could get a 405CX with HRM refurbished from Walmart and pick it up instore when I'm over in the US in a few weeks for $116, so would work out at roughly half the cost of the 410 from Amazon. Is there much difference between the two? I could cope without one for a few weeks if it saved me €90!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I've the Forerunner 405 , I'm assuming its an older version of the 410? Anyways it looks like a helicopter landing pad but I wear mine the whole time as my main watch, ya forget about the size. And like that the bezel is easy to use. I've the hrm strap too and never use , I really have start training in hrm zones. How do I get max heart rate anyone know?
    So anyways if ya can stick it out I'd wait until you go to the states, that €90 saving could be used on the purchase of a nice handbag perhaps over there :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I've the Forerunner 405 , I'm assuming its an older version of the 410? Anyways it looks like a helicopter landing pad but I wear mine the whole time as my main watch, ya forget about the size. And like that the bezel is easy to use. I've the hrm strap too and never use , I really have start training in hrm zones. How do I get max heart rate anyone know?
    So anyways if ya can stick it out I'd wait until you go to the states, that €90 saving could be used on the purchase of a nice handbag perhaps over there :)

You read my mind! I think i'm going to hang on and get the 405, reading reviews, there seems to be very little different except the bezel is a bit trickier on the 405. I can't see myself messing with the bezel mid run anyway, so that's not really an issue. €90 is just too much of a price difference at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Walkedit wrote: »

Sassyj - did you join Clonlife in the end?

Great to see everyone going well and best of luck to all in training for DCM 13

Sorry Walkedit, only say this now. I did and it's going well, definitely pushed! Sorry to hear about the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I bought a garmin forerunner 110 last summer and love it even though its very basic! however the menu /page button broke. Still under warranty so send it back to pixmania. Got email today to say they have sent it to garmin. does anyone know How long roughly it will be before I have my watch back? Lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Just signed up for DCM 2013 - no going back now:eek:

Anyone know what's the story with entry into the National Marathon Championships? Is there a separate entry form and does it replace the online entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Hi Dilbert75, u register through athletics Ireland, but as far as I know, entries are now closed, I'm sure it was 28th July was last day for entry.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story with entry into the National Marathon Championships? Is there a separate entry form and does it replace the online entry?

You mean DCM? You just enter through the normal channels and make sure to put your club in the entry. There is an AAI desk at the expo and you just declare for your club team there.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Oh sorry just realised u meant DCM n not national half, doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Meno session (Progression Run)

Lap Type (Target) Actual
    1. 20m Easy (6:05) 6:01
    2. 20m Steady (5:39) 5:36
    3. 20m MP (5:17) 5:16
    4. 10m HMP (4:56) 5:07
    5. 20m recovery (n/a) 6:50

I thought this looked pretty straightforward on paper, but the legs felt heavy for the first two laps and it felt tough despite the easy-steady pace. I didn't feel comfortable until lap 3 and the MP leg felt good. On the HMP Lap 4 I was cruising and bang on pace till 3 mins from the end when I got the most godawful stitch (felt like it was on both sides and right across the stomach too) and had to slow waaay down for a couple of mins. Tried to pick it up then but the damage was done! The 20m recovery began with a couple of mins walking and then became a slow plod that felt like it would never end.

Still - I enjoyed it in retrospect. Another one under the belt. Data here. (Feel free to "connect" me if you're on GarminConnect.)

PS - any tips on dealing with a stitch appreciated. Never got a single one training for DCM last year, but this year they're a fairly regular occurrence.

I'm in for DCM.

murphd77 wrote: »
    PS - any tips on dealing with a stitch appreciated. Never got a single one training for DCM last year, but this year they're a fairly regular occurrence.

That's a difficult one. I think a lot of it comes down to hydration. When you get one though it is tough; concentrate on getting big breaths in and sharp exhales...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

So last night I was set for the midweek session but a disastrous day in work, meant I was extremely late getting home.

Anyway I knew I needed to get some quality running in last night but so I just lifted a session from early in the P&D plan 12 week up to 55 mile plan. It called for 8 miles w 4m @15k- HMpace. I decided to run this at what I'm planning to try for the Frank Duffy 10 miler (6.50 pace).

Splits were 8.26, 8.04, 6.48,6.43, 6.40, 6.40 8.48, 8.32

Happy enough with it, it was mostly flat but with that bigish hill leading from Chapelizod to Kilmainham in DCM at the end of mile 2. It felt pretty tough by mile 4 but I wasn't watching the garmin and was going too fast which probably contributed.

Im actually a bit behind in the mileage for Menos program, im only going to hit 41 miles this week, with a 16 mile LSR so im considering jumping onto the P&D 12 week program up to 55 miles. It starts next week, with 35 miles in the first week. I know that's a dirty word around these parts so I'm just wondering what advice people might have before setting out on it?
    Im a bit concerned about the lack of PMP miles towards the end of the program so I would probably defer to Meno's sessions around that time as id be afriad that the VO2 max sessions could also be an injury risk? Is it defeating the purpose mixing and matching plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Im actually a bit behind in the mileage for Menos program, im only going to hit 41 miles this week, with a 16 mile LSR so im considering jumping onto the P&D 12 week program up to 55 miles. It starts next week, with 35 miles in the first week. I know that's a dirty word around these parts so I'm just wondering what advice people might have before setting out on it?
    Im a bit concerned about the lack of PMP miles towards the end of the program so I would probably defer to Meno's sessions around that time as id be afriad that the VO2 max sessions could be an injury risk? Is it defeating the purpose mixing and matching plans?

Which word do you refer to? :D

In terms of the V02 max sessions, I wouldn't worry about them being an injury risk, sure every run you go on there is potential to pick up an injury. But the question I would ask is 5-6 weeks out from the marathon, what sessions do you feel would be of most benefit for you?..for me I feel it being mostly MP miles with maybe one or two V02 thrown in for running form and to keep the legs awake.

For others they might find the speed sessions benefit more, all trial and error I think from my perspective and whatever works for the individual.

In terms of mix and matching, yep, I think personally myself it's a bad idea. pick a plan and stick to it as each plan has its own progression sessions and by mixing it up you may hit a session that you might not necessarily built up to.

Just my thoughts anyway..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How are peoples diets going lately? I'm not too bad during the week lately and have cut out most of the crap, however weekends are still a bit of a struggle! :D

blockic wrote: »

In terms of mix and matching, yep, I think personally myself it's a bad idea. pick a plan and stick to it as each plan has its own progression sessions and by mixing it up you may hit a session that you might not necessarily built up to.

Just my thoughts anyway..:)

+1, I often see people 'picking' a session from an opposing plan and struggling on it; simply because The people doing the full plan had 'built up' to that particular session. That said My plan won't be a million miles away from the structure of the P&D plan, just a lot more MP miles (and a lot less VO2 max). If you play it sensibly it might be feasible to one or two overlap sessions.

OP don't worry about being a few miles short on my plan; I get the feeling people are struggling a touch with the mileage at the moment; maybe a recovery week is due soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

How are peoples diets going lately? I'm not too bad during the week lately and have cut out most of the crap, however weekends are still a bit of a struggle! :D

Diet? What's that? :P

Na, did a big reset there about two weeks ago, after a month of burgers, beer and white bread (damn you sunshine!). A bit of help from My fitness pal app in counting what goes in, and I'm shifting the sunshine weight again. As long as the rain stays, I should be fine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Menos Session / Steeplechase :)

I'd only gone 400meters when the heavens opened for the duration of this session but hey least I was kept cool!

1. 20mins warmup, Aim: 9min mile, actual : 8.57/mile
    2. 20mins easy, Aim: 8.30/mile, actual : 8.24/mile
    3. 20mins MP pace: Aim 7.55/mile, actual : 7.48/mile
    4. 10mins HM pace: Aim 7.20-7.30/mile, actual : 7.39/mile
    Cool down 9.48/mile

Pretty happy with session bar no.4 the 10mins at HM pace, I probably went too quick for my MP miles and on the HM part there was two dirty hills, so my ten mins was actually broken up to 1 mile at 7.46/mile and 0.31miles at 7.15pace. Demon hills I'm just useless on them.
    I don't think I've ever gotten as drenched on a run, so bad that I've got friction marks from my top . Otherwise I actually enjoy running in rain even if I can see the postman, farmers and other traffic shake their heads at me :D

As for the diet Blockic, I'm the same pretty good at eating healthily for my main meals but I do have a bit of a sweet tooth. My portion size is def something I should work on though but just don't have the willpower!

• Advertisement

... I wouldn't worry about them being an injury risk, sure every run you go on there is potential to pick up an injury.

Don't I flippin know it!

Finding it difficult this week because I'm not running. Otherwise had been doing well. Weight had been coming down despite the occasional treat.

In general am trying to reduce portion sizes and ensuring the calories in versus calories burned ratio is right.

Advertisement