Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

okay Meno I skipped the club session tonight to try your session instead...it didn't exactly go to plan....could only do 5 of them....opps :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85387330&postcount=234

must do better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

statss wrote: »
    okay Meno I skipped the club session tonight to try your session instead...it didn't exactly go to plan....could only do 5 of them....opps :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85387330&postcount=234

must do better!

Wowzer has it spot on, probably just tired and under recovered.
    In my plan there is only one session a week; you already did 1 on tuesday and a race last saturday...be careful not too push yourself too far.

Also If your target is a 3:20 Marathon you should be looking at doingthese all at 3:20. That 3:03 2nd rep would have killed you. It's like bad pacing in a marathon: whatever you gain at the start of the race, you pay for it 3 times at the end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

results of a recent Meno Yasso trial from Germany.

Fueling Strategy : Hirsh Pils 2.0
    Average HR : Dangerous
    Average Fluid Loss : 0.5L/mile
    % Alcohal/Fluid Loss 78%
    Average cost/mile : 3 euro
    Suitable for Repeat Intervetnion : Negative

Conclusion : Use different fueling strategy or risk causing serious damage or even death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Marlay Park 5K this morn 19.48, PB of nearly 30 secs! Delighted with that. Now for a day of gardening, not so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tomred1N wrote: »
    results of a recent Meno Yasso trial from Germany.

Fueling Strategy : Hirsh Pils 2.0
    Average HR : Dangerous
    Average Fluid Loss : 0.5L/mile
    % Alcohal/Fluid Loss 78%
    Average cost/mile : 3 euro
    Suitable for Repeat Intervetnion : Negative

Conclusion : Use different fueling strategy or risk causing serious damage or even death.

I know most people like to operate on an 18 week plan but we haven't announce the date for Beer mile entries just yet. I do however admire the commitment :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Marlay Park 5K this morn 19.48, PB of nearly 30 secs! Delighted with that. Now for a day of gardening, not so much fun.

Fantastic result overpronator, you are now officially a fast fecker - sub 20 is amazing :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Fantastic result overpronator, you are now officially a fast fecker - sub 20 is amazing :D

Thanks Runchick, took everything I had to creep in under the 20, I'm surprised myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Extremely disappointed after my performance in my 8k race yesterday. Had hoped to dip under the 34mins and ended up finishing in 34.20. It was one of those races that from the off I was suffering. Even tough I hadn't ran in a few days my legs just felt heavy throughout to the point I cursed running and swore I'd never race again throughout the race. The last 700m I felt dizzy and my boyfriend said my posture was dier (and I wonder why Im prone to injuries) To add to it all Ive a bit of a niggle in the calf so not sure if ill chance a recovery run today or just take a days rest.
    Rant over thanks :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Extremely disappointed after my performance in my 8k race yesterday. Had hoped to dip under the 34mins and ended up finishing in 34.20. It was one of those races that from the off I was suffering. Even tough I hadn't ran in a few days my legs just felt heavy throughout to the point I cursed running and swore I'd never race again throughout the race. The last 700m I felt dizzy and my boyfriend said my posture was dier (and I wonder why Im prone to injuries) To add to it all Ive a bit of a niggle in the calf so not sure if ill chance a recovery run today or just take a days rest.

Hey DOCO12 I think you did very well under the circumstances. 20 seconds is nothing really and it was very hot out yesterday so you probably could have run better on a cooler day. I ran a terrible 10km recently (much worse results than yours) so I know how disappointing it is but onwards and upwards eh ;) Hope the calf settles down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1 - don't beat yourself up over 2.5s/km.

• Advertisement

I am Just popping up nexts weeks plan a little early as I am going to be out of internetland for most of the day.

Just a quick observation: I see a lot of people are mixing plans i.e. doing some sessions with clubs and just picking my 'session' day and copying it into their week. I would warn against that as basically you will not benefit from a plan unless you follow it fully. In this case (sorry to sound like a broken record) we have one session and 1 long run; everything else is easy or recovery.....to attempt last weeks 10 x 800m having already run hard that week will not yield the same results as someone who ran easy all week. Basically I don't think it is a good idea to pick and choose bits of different programmes...

Despite all that; we still have a long while left so it is not critical to follow this plan yet....only in about 3-4 weeks time will it start to get Marathon specific so as long as you are keeping up the weekly mileage and (approximately) the long run you can jump in at a later date.

This week's plan is:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| session; progression run| Recovery|Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-14 miles easy| 36-42 miles

Wednesday session
    2 miles easy warm up followed by 8 minutes steady (MP + 3-4%); 8 milnutes @ MP; 8 Minutes @ HMP; 8 Minutes Hard (approx 10kpace);
    2 miles c/d at the end.
    The run should be all continuous. Try not to overestimate the 'steady', and MP sections or it will get very difficult at the end. For the last 8 minute sesction pretty much go as fast as you can while retaining a constant pace. It will likely come in and around your 10k pace.

Any questions fire ahead (though I might not get back to you until later).

Thanks everyone it's good to get the disappointment off my chest , where would we be without this forum? Runners anonymous :) Anyways time to get over it now.
    Cheers for posting up the sessions Meno, I've never done a progression run before so looking forward to trying it out.
    Enjoy the sunshine people :D

Thanks everyone it's good to get the disappointment off my chest , where would we be without this forum? Runners anonymous :) Anyways time to get over it now.
    Cheers for posting up the sessions Meno, I've never done a progression run before so looking forward to trying it out.
    Enjoy the sunshine people :D

By the way; well done on your 8k time. Don't worry about thise 20 seconds. The change in temperatures really effects us us all for a few days until our bodies get sued to it. My Long run yesterday was 30 seconds/mile slower than last week and it felt harder.

Your time was great, you know it entitles you to a place on this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056894287

Cheers Meno, thanks for link, I did a 34.06 8K a few weeks ago so I must add that one in. As I was so close that day that's why I was full sure Id break it yesterday. Next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I would bite yer hand off for that time..you'll be back in the zone soon don't worry.

13.46miles @9:05 avg to round off a successful week following Meno's plan. Small worry with my ongoing back(disc) problem but should be able to manage it ok with rest,stretching and exercises.

Meno, if down the road I wanted to replace your session with a club session(because I want to try one of them out and be more engaged with the club) would that be an issue? Mostly I will be sticking to your plan religiously otherwise.

RedRunner wrote: »
    13.46miles @9:05 avg to round off a successful week following Meno's plan. Small worry with my ongoing back(disc) problem but should be able to manage it ok with rest,stretching and exercises.

Meno, if down the road I wanted to replace your session with a club session(because I want to try one of them out and be more engaged with the club) would that be an issue? Mostly I will be sticking to your plan religiously otherwise.

If you have that facitilty by all means replace my session with a club session. Just keep the rest of the structure the same.

From about 10 weeks out from DCM however my midweek sessions will all be based around MP running; so I wouldn't be replacing that with 'speed work'.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you have that facitilty by all means replace my session with a club session. Just keep the rest of the structure the same.

From about 10 weeks out from DCM however my midweek sessions will all be based around MP running; so I wouldn't be replacing that with 'speed work'.

Grand, I plan to do most of your sessions anyway ,just wanted to try one or two club ones aswell. In Meno we trust:D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Grand, I plan to do most of your sessions anyway ,just wanted to try one or two club ones aswell. In Meno we trust:D

Haha, great stuff. Just make sure not to do a club sesssion and my session. One is enough.
    Don't forget to do your strides or hill sprints once a week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

21k LSR yesterday to complete week 1 of the Meno Plan. Only 40k this week, but that's a reasonable progression for me, plus I've been out on the bike as well. Looking forward to the Weds session.

• Advertisement

Had a go at the session this morning. Brought it forward by a day as I'm running (not racing) Clontarf half on Saturday so want this out of the legs by then.

Definitely a tougher session to do than it looks with the heat especially. My advice to anyone doing it tomorrow would be to keep a tight eye on the pace and stick to planned paces. I started the last bit way too fast and had to stop a few times after as a result. Bit annoying as I know the purpose of these runs is to keep going so didn't like having to stop.

My stats for the 8 min progression bits were:
    Planned: 9.15, 8.55, 8.10, 7.45
    Actual: 9.10, 8.45, 8.14, 7.36
    But stopped during the last one as I started it way, way too fast. If I had watched the pace and stuck to the plan I don't think I would have stopped.

Anyway that's me on the Meno plan. I'm running Clontarf at MP due to injury risk and not training properly for it, so I'll do a bit less mileage than the plan this week and get stuck in with everyone else next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

After taking a break from internet use over the last 2 weeks or so I've a bit if catching up to do on this thread & all ye're logs.
    In a quick glance seems like some good running over the last few weeks & the best of luck to everyone following Meno's marathon plan for Dublin.

Since Cork I've probably tried to over analysis what went wrong to the point that running practically became a chore,races included.
    So after taking a little break from reading about running 24/7ish last Friday mornings run was the first one i've really enjoyed in awhile.I'm still hoping to do Dublin but realisticaIy I won't be able to put in the same time I did for Cork but hopefully in another few weeks I'm gonna fall into Meno's plan & follow that.

7.59 mi easy this morning.Looking forward now to session tomorrow. I really like the variety that these bring to the training. Thanks for the tips Runchick.I definitely need to reign it in a bit myself too after my attempt at session last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hands up who's drank more beer than they have ran miles in the past few days?? Me me me

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Keep going everyone, yiz are doing great.

Keep going everyone, yiz are doing great.

And what about yourself Killian? How's the injury doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

This ain't running weather! Didn't think it was possible to sweat so much!!

Meno Session#2

Plan
    :

2 miles easy warm up followed by 8 minutes steady (MP + 3-4%)(8:50); 8 minutes @ MP(8:35); 8 Minutes @ HMP(8:00); 8 Minutes Hard (approx 10kpace)(7:30);
    2 miles c/d at the end.

Session Target pace Actual Pace

WarmUp 9:10-9:20 9:06

Section1 8:50 8:56

Section2 8:35 8:37

Section3 8:00 7:57

Section4 7:30 7:20

CoolDown None 9:36

Total mileage 7.92mi @8:46avg

Fairly happy overall. Tough conditions to be running in but won't complain too much. My avg"moving" paces were a bit better allowing for crossing roads, etc but I'm pleased that I hit the marks mostly with the paces, particularly happy with last two. Last section was tough going. Sweating buckets at this stage, breathing was heavy, and was running into strong breeze at end. Was counting down the time till I could slow down for the cool down section but glad I could maintain it. Was constantly telling myself to relax through the discomfort.

Anyone doing the Fingal 10k, just been looking at the course profile and it seems a fast one this year, certainly compared to last years slog fest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Anyone doing the Fingal 10k, just been looking at the course profile and it seems a fast one this year, certainly compared to last years slog fest!

Would be even faster if it was actually 10k!

Advertisement