Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

You could do a vet nursing diploma instead and get training on the job? Would be easier...and cheaper!

I do like the idea of working from home someday, that was one of my intentions doing this digital media course- I can work as an illustrator from home when our kids are a bit older. It's nice having something you can do anywhere!

The breathlessness seems to have returned, it went away a few weeks ago when baby moved down a bit and I was all like 'Yay! I can breathe again!' and now I think baby has grown back up to the same point. :( Also I feel very heavy....heffalump time is upon us methinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

You could do a vet nursing diploma instead and get training on the job? Would be easier...and cheaper!

I do like the idea of working from home someday, that was one of my intentions doing this digital media course- I can work as an illustrator from home when our kids are a bit older. It's nice having something you can do anywhere!

The breathlessness seems to have returned, it went away a few weeks ago when baby moved down a bit and I was all like 'Yay! I can breathe again!' and now I think baby has grown back up to the same point. :( Also I feel very heavy....heffalump time is upon us methinks...

I looked into it and couldn't find any diplomas in Ireland, only degrees (well there is a two year cert course but it is in Cork). It seems the course in UCD I was looking at used to be a diploma until fairly recently but is now a degree. It seems crazy to me, it's 4 years to be a vet nurse and only one more year studying to be a vet! As I have a science degree I may be able to get some exemptions so it's something to look into one day. It seems it's not something you can do by distance learning either, although you never know what is out there! :)

I feel pretty heavy too but then I have days where I don't, it's weird. My breathlessness is gone anyway! I reckon your baby will drop fairly soon and you won't notice it anymore. The baby is moving a lot less than he was over the last day or two. I'm getting the ten movements in 12 hours but it's not as much movements as it used to be. I have my appointment with the midwives today so I'll say it to them and see what they think.

That's weird...but then it's 4 years to become a nurse and 'only' 6 to become a doctor. Not the same thing though really! Maybe you should just get lots of pets. :D

Movements on this end are reduced too, I think it just doesn't have as much room to move around anymore. It does seem to have a pretty impressive punching arm though- must be a boy! Gives me quite a shock sometimes!
    Aside from that, it's mostly just sort of swelling/squirmy/turning over movements. Incredible to think it'll be in there for 2 more months....

Could you ask them about the raspberry leaf tea, murdy? See what they think?

That's weird...but then it's 4 years to become a nurse and 'only' 6 to become a doctor. Not the same thing though really! Maybe you should just get lots of pets. :D

Movements on this end are reduced too, I think it just doesn't have as much room to move around anymore. It does seem to have a pretty impressive punching arm though- must be a boy! Gives me quite a shock sometimes!
    Aside from that, it's mostly just sort of swelling/squirmy/turning over movements. Incredible to think it'll be in there for 2 more months....

Could you ask them about the raspberry leaf tea, murdy? See what they think?

Sure - will do :) It'll be interesting to see what they say about the movement too. I couldn't understand why they said 10 movements in 12 hours when I get so so much more than that (I get 10 movements every twenty minutes or so!) but maybe in the last few weeks you do feel less so I really will have to count the momvents

There may be a possibility to do it part time in UCD, they just didn't have the numbers this year from what I can see. Tbh, I wouldn't be doing it for a few years (will probably have baby number two first) so things might have changed by then. Hubby is all up for the idea so we'll see. There's also courses you can do in animal care which are only a year or two and then I could work in a cattery or something like that. It's my dream to own my own cattery in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I think there is either a leg or an arm wedged under my ribs....so uncomfortable.

I would love to go back to college and do a Masters....very expensive so will have to go on the long finger!

Murdy - I've heard that about difene, usually I have a cast iron stomach so its no bother to me, perhaps if its given as a suppository it might be easier to take?

• Advertisement

TBH, I'm really looking forward to being at home with baby- they really are young for such a short period and it would be such a shame to miss all the cute little things they do now. I think I'll enjoy being a stay at home mother really- looking forward to teaching my kids how to read and things like that!

(My mother taught us all to read at about age 3, with the phonics method. We're now all big readers. I want to replicate that with my kids!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Psychotherapy- sounds interesting! Did you do much child psych? Any interesting niblets of info you can pass on to us?

It was really interesting.. There was a small bit on child psychology, things like how language starts, different stages of development etc, but mostly because it was therapy based we would have focused a lot on infant attachments and how they develop, as a lot of the theories would focus on how our early attachments form a kind of blueprint for all our future relationships. Some were a bit scary (i.e. being afraid to f**k up your child forever!!) but the tidbit I think spoke to me most was from Winnicott who believed that rather than trying to be the "perfect" mother (which is impossible anyway) we should just try to be "good enough". The good enough mother (or parent) allows the baby to develop a sense of self and transition from being helpless into more independence in a healthy way. He suggests that carers are sort of obsessed with the baby at the start (very appropriately) but then get back to their own selves eventually and it's in these separations that the baby learns how to become more independent while still feeling secure that the parent will be there for them when they return. So if we're so called perfect, and never let go of the baby and let them explore, they'll never learn that - but the occasional time when we won't be able to meet their needs will help them to develop. Obviously the other extreme when their needs are never or rarely met is not good either.

There was a good bit of stuff about secure/insecure attachment and how parents being emotionally unavailable (many times through no fault of their own, perhaps due to bereavement or depression or the likes) can impact on the type of attachment the baby forms. I remember a lecturer (who used to also be a primary teacher) said he always worried more about the kids who were not crying or looking for the parents on the first day of school than the ones who were hysterical looking for mammy, the theory being that the ones crying had a healthy attachment and were just experiencing separation anxiety. I'm not sure where I stand on that one as I was quite an independent child and remember being confused on first day of school as to why everyone was crying. Also these days I imagine kids form attachments to a wider group of people than just mum and dad due to family members/creches/childminders looking after them from an early age..

Just been doing a clear out of my old books too and found one called "Why Love Matters" by Sue Gerhardt which was quite good (if not a little scary) about how the baby's brain pathways are not finished at birth and it's in infanthood that these are laid down, with implications for how they deal with stress and relationships in later life.

I've totally waffled there and am probably misremembering half of it!

Sunshiner best of luck with your exams! Hopefully you'll get to have a sit down if you need it...

Murdy I looked into vet nursing a few years ago too, at that time you were able to get work experience in a vets which would pay for some of your living expenses while doing the diploma. Can't believe it's a degree now. I remember being shocked (in a bad way) to see what vets/vet nurses earned (at the time anyway) just like nursing etc I think it should be a lot more!

I like the cattery idea too, can I get a job there when you set it up? I always say to hubby that I'd love a farm with animals but none of them would be for the chop, just as pets :)

I'm grand with Difene usually but the doctor always prescribes some other tablet to protect the stomach with it... Talking of meds, Aknitter thanks for the Acidex suggestion, I'm going off to buy a bottle of it now to try!

Paperclip was looking at some books yesterday, I want to start building a little collection to read in the last couple of weeks and then when she is a baby - looking at the Milne Winnie the Pooh ones to start with

Double B, hope you're feeling better with the old "farmer giles" :( It's getting very exciting all right, how long have you left in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Thanks Kranky kitty.
    Re the cattery, oh god theyd never find homes id want to keep them all. Somehow stray dogs find me, you get very attached. I cant believe its so long for that degree.

Blueskye i hope everythings ok, and let us know how it goes :D will be thinking of you.
    Difene oh god it plays havoc with my stomach,i think ill bring echinea cream and tablets for healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Thanks for all that paperclipgrad. The lack of evidence really was what was putting me off, OH's mother was really pushing it, but like you said, you'd be better off supplementing if iron needed, and I wondered that too, would nutrients be damaged by heat or dehydration. So I'm going to give it a miss. Thanks a mil.

I'd love to be a stay at home mum, for the first few years at least but unfortunately I'm the main earner in our house at the moment so will have to go back to work :( Saying that, I love my job so that helps but I'm sure I'll really miss the boys.

Murdy I'm reading some of the books you recommended a few months ago - the one about hasidic jews (which was really good) and now I'm reading about Henrietta Lacks. Fascinating. If you come across any others you'd recommend, would you let me know?

Krankykitty, I like Winnicott's "the good enough parent". That's all any of us can do. I'm a firm believe in early attachments having a long-term impact on our relationships and well-being but I agree, we can have several attachment relationships but our primary attachments (usually 1 or 2) tend to have the most influence on us. That may not be a parent, it could be a grandparent or other relative or carer.

A friend visited me earlier, she took one look at me and was convinced I'm ready to pop!! I don't think these boys have any intentions of going anywhere. They seem pretty comfortable, unlike their mammy. I'm so ready to not be pregnant anymore.

• Advertisement

yup i must say im looking forward to not being pregnant. Things im looking forward to are, wearing my old clothes ( with some new ones too)glass of bulmers, sleeping on my back or front, and well more sex in nicer.positions lol sorry if thats tmi.

Blueskye wrote: »

Murdy I'm reading some of the books you recommended a few months ago - the one about hasidic jews (which was really good) and now I'm reading about Henrietta Lacks. Fascinating. If you come across any others you'd recommend, would you let me know?

Will do - haven't been doing much reading recently but I got those books from the NY Times non-fiction bestsellers list so you could always look there for inspiration!

Luckily, I'm in a position to be a stay at home mum for a while, well hopefully, you never know what might happen! Having one salary only isn't much fun though, having to watch the pennies when we didn't really have to before. I'm trying to remind myself it will be worth all the budgeting! I know some people just need to go back to work and that's fair enough, it's whatever works for you. I might be desperate to go back to work in 6 months time anyway, who knows?!

Paperclip - I forgot to ask about the raspberry leaf tea! I am very forgetful these days. App went well anyway, I arrived 15 minutes earlier and there wasn't anyone else there at all. I got called in straight away and was out ten minutes later. Can't fault that! Everything was normal and got a blood test done to check my iron. The midwife was examining my belly and I was telling her about the movement decreasing. As I was saying it to her the baby did loads of kicks - the little monkey. :) He's been squirming away all evening now. She said some days they do move less and to just keep an eye on it and to go in if concerned. He's happy in there and heartbeat is strong so can't complaing really.

sunshiner wrote: »
    yup i must say im looking forward to not being pregnant. Things im looking forward to are, wearing my old clothes ( with some new ones too)glass of bulmers, sleeping on my back or front, and well more sex in nicer.positions lol sorry if thats tmi.

Lol on the tmi! I hear you on the sleeping on the back anyway. I am also looking forward to not being pregnant, that probably sounds bad :D

Lovely summary of child psych there, kranky (it'd be nice to use each other's real names, wouldn't it? I'm Theresa). I was thinking the other day what it'd be like to be born- one minute you're in a nice warm, safe, comfortable environment, when you're pushed out, squishing your head and into a bright world full of noisy things and cold things and metal and clangy stuff and all the different sensations and things that you've never had to deal with before. I'd want a lot of softness and comfort then. It's for this reason that I'm thinking about carrying the baby around in one of those snuggly jersey slings as much as I can for the first couple of months so they always feel comforted and near to mama, then sort of wean them off that. At the end of the day, we have to train our children to be able to stand on their own two feet, make good decisions and go off to college without doing too many stupid things....but independence can't ever come back if they don't feel that they come from a sturdy base. You can't run around if you're worried that the ground beneath your feet might fall in. It's our job to give them that love and security and boundaries that will enable them to run.

The book about hasidic jews sounds interesting- what's the title? Glad your appointment went well, Niamh! It must be one of those murphy's law things that whenever you complain about something, it works...

Things I'm looking forward to: a nice glass of red wine, paté, blue cheese, seafood....wearing normal clothes again (hope it doesn't take too long to fit back into my normal jeans!), sleeping on my front- I used to always sleep on my front and I miss it dearly! Ahem, tmi coming, but I haven't found being pregnant too much of an impediment to our lovemaking! If anything it's made us be a little more creative...

Yep - he was just acting up to get at his mummy :)

The book is called "Unorthodox" it's an autobiography by a girl who left the Hasidic community. Very interesting :)

Blueskye I enjoyed that Henrietta Lacks book too, thought it was really interesting..

What I'm looking forward to - Not being in pain (or having heavy duty drugs)! A big juicy steak with the blood literally dripping from it! Being able to go for a proper walk without crutches. A bottle of prosecco all to myself (will be locked!) Wearing high shoes, and maybe some nice clothes. Not having to worry about drinking milk!

Hi Theresa, I'm Helen :) I too am thinking of using a sling to keep baby close but also so I can have the use of my arms, could be handy when trying to get stuff done. I have surprised myself as I have been very much a career/work person but now that I'm in the situation I am definitely wanting to take the first year off, as I'm lucky enough to be able to do that.

Talking of using our real names, I am always a little wary of giving too much identifying info... I've been thinking, everyone on this thread has been so supportive and it has been such a help to be able to talk about this stuff here. I would love to show you all a pic of the baby when she comes and tell you all about her (and see yours!) but I wouldn't be too comfortable posting them up here. Would anyone be interested in a private Facebook group where we could do this afterwards? If anyone is interested PM me and I will set it up etc. I think while we're all still prego etc we should keep the main chat to this thread though, as I wouldn't like to ruin the flow we have going. what do you all think?

Blueskye I enjoyed that Henrietta Lacks book too, thought it was really interesting..

What I'm looking forward to - Not being in pain (or having heavy duty drugs)! A big juicy steak with the blood literally dripping from it! Being able to go for a proper walk without crutches. A bottle of prosecco all to myself (will be locked!) Wearing high shoes, and maybe some nice clothes. Not having to worry about drinking milk!

Hi Theresa, I'm Helen :) I too am thinking of using a sling to keep baby close but also so I can have the use of my arms, could be handy when trying to get stuff done. I have surprised myself as I have been very much a career/work person but now that I'm in the situation I am definitely wanting to take the first year off, as I'm lucky enough to be able to do that.

Talking of using our real names, I am always a little wary of giving too much identifying info... I've been thinking, everyone on this thread has been so supportive and it has been such a help to be able to talk about this stuff here. I would love to show you all a pic of the baby when she comes and tell you all about her (and see yours!) but I wouldn't be too comfortable posting them up here. Would anyone be interested in a private Facebook group where we could do this afterwards? If anyone is interested PM me and I will set it up etc. I think while we're all still prego etc we should keep the main chat to this thread though, as I wouldn't like to ruin the flow we have going. what do you all think?

I would love a private FB group for after the babies are born! I'd love to see photos of your babies but wouldn't post them here so it would be a great way to keep in touch afterwards :) Paperclipgrad and I are already friends on FB which is great but I'll send you a pm with my details soon.

I'm laughing at you saying you won't have to drink milk after being pregnant - I love milk so much and drink loads anyway but being pregnant I'm milling through the stuff. When I had hyperemesis I think it was the only thing that kept me alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'm looking forward to a runny poached egg, few glasses of red wine, wearing normal clothes, sleeping comfortably (well, is that going to be possible with twins? :)) and going for a run, lifting some weights. I know it's going to be a while before the run happens (c-section etc. ) but I can work towards it.

I feel anxious about sharing too much info here as it's so public so would love the private fb group for afterwards. Would be lovely to see pics of everyone's babies :) and share experiences of being new and not so new parents.

Oooh, runny eggs, yes I miss those. I'm going to have some giant portions of eggs benedict when I can. Two bad things at once, runny eggs and hollandaise!

Tip for ye olde heartburn... Went looking for Acidex yesterday (there was none) so tried a bottle of Gaviscon Extra. Didnt need any extra glugs during night...

• Advertisement

Tip for ye olde heartburn... Went looking for Acidex yesterday (there was none) so tried a bottle of Gaviscon Extra. Didnt need any extra glugs during night...

Does it taste alright? I have lemon gaviscon tablets and they make me retch they taste so awful. It's like eating soap!

I like the idea of the fb group for after babies are born! Btw, Helen is such a pretty name, we're thinking of using the name Helen/Helena for our baby if it's a girl. Do you like your name?

Have a dr's appt on Friday- rather dreading the weigh in! I had problems with my weight as a teenager and don't really like weighing myself these days, even though I know most of it is just baby!

Id be up for a facebook private group. I dont want to give my name on here.
    Krankykitty,i bought a sling off adverts which im gona try out especially for breastfeeding, i think it will be handy. There really are some lovely ones out there.

I hate weigh ins too, they suck, But yeah i dread the scales. Today i think i might actually get the babys room cleared out, Yay ive been waiting on my FIL for months to come do some job for me so i can start painting. Though at this stage i think my painting days are over.

I haven't been weighed in ages at my appointments but I don't mind! Even though I feel like I'm stomping around like an elephant I know I'm not really, am only 2kg above my pre-pregancy weight today but I am relieved to have put the weight back on, even if it's more on my belly than it used to be!

I use the what to expect when you're expecting app and funnily enough today is about weight gain! This is what it said the usual 25 - 35 pound weight gain is made up of:

Baby 7.5lbs

Placenta 1.5lbs

Amniotic Fluis 2lbs

Maternal Breast Tissue 2lbs

Uterine Enlargement 2lbs

Maternal Blood Volume 4lbs

Fluids in Maternal Tissue 4lbs

Maternal Fat Stores 7lbs

So when you look at it like that it's not too bad! You can see how you'd lose a lot in the first few weeks after work, even the maternal fat stores will slowly drop off if you breastfeed. I was just amazed by these numbers. Goes to show how hard our bodies are working :)

I'm impressed by the increase in maternal blood volume- 4lbs! Wow!

I'm expecting baby to be at least 8lbs by the time it's born- it was already 4.5lb at the scan last week. They say to double the 32 week weight to give final birth weight....but I'm hoping NOT to have a 10lber!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Does it taste alright? I have lemon gaviscon tablets and they make me retch they taste so awful. It's like eating soap!

I got the liquid, it's ok mint flavour but tastes a bit more mediciney than normal Gaviscon. The tablets are disgusting they don't dissolve properly and as you say, a mouthful of soap!

I'm going to guess mine will be between 7.5 and 8 lbs! Will be interesting to see how right we are :) I also don't want a 10lb baby. Did you see the clip on BBC of the woman in the UK who had a 15 lbs pound baby? They didn't know he was that big either so it was a big shock. My friend sent me the link and quite enjoyed making me squirm! Here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21952025
    (don't watch if you're worried about birth etc, they had some problems with him being so big - don't want to scare anyone)

The app saying 25 - 35 lbs is the usual gain has me thinking, I'll be getting a lot bigger over the next 7 weeks! If the baby doubles in size lots of other things will increase too. Eek! :eek:

I got the liquid, it's ok mint flavour but tastes a bit more mediciney than normal Gaviscon. The tablets are disgusting they don't dissolve properly and as you say, a mouthful of soap!

Might give it a go, and look for that acidex that aknitter recommended. I'm on the Rennie at the moment and they're ok.

Well, the actual length of the baby doesn't increase that much from here on in, it just gets a bit more ramhar. :)

EDIT: That baby is so ginormous! :-O Scary! I wonder if the mother had gestational diabetes, it generally really increases birthweight. Also the name George just makes me think of that rhyme- Georgie porgie, pudding and pie...

• Advertisement

Well, the actual length of the baby doesn't increase that much from here on in, it just gets a bit more ramhar. :)

EDIT: That baby is so ginormous! :-O Scary! I wonder if the mother had gestational diabetes, it generally really increases birthweight. Also the name George just makes me think of that rhyme- Georgie porgie, pudding and pie...

I know - He looks like he's about to start school in that video! Did everyone here have a gestational diabetes test? I was told I don't need one - I'm presuming because nothing showed up in my pee. I am eating chocolate like it's going out of fashion though so I always feel guilty about that.

I'm happy to think of the baby getting chubbier, I like chubby babies. Given he was able to put on weight at the beginning when I hardly ate anything I think he's good at getting what he needs from me to put on weight! Again, it amazes me what our bodies can do for the baby :)

Advertisement