Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Murdy- you have no idea. :D It's just like constant work at times....coupled with doing the housework as well! Fortunately husband is good at whipping up instameals when I'm home later. I have to finish programming a computer game before thursday...the next couple of days will be interesting.

Also suffering from the sleep loss. It must be our bodies preparing us for what is to come. Had weird dreams all last night about everyone in my family being in the audience for a japanese game show. The night before was dreams entirely in the programming language I'm working in. :( Why can't they be fun dreams?

Is anyone else getting a lot of sore rib pains from baby pushing up against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I still feel very mood-swingy today, I could cry at stupid things. though having said that I was quite lucky all the way through, never really had it till now. Lynda I'm sure your mam understands what it's like though I know what you mean, I think I am being a bit trying to poor husband the last while. hope you feel better soon too :)

Had the 36 week scan today, baby is estimated to be 6lb! I have a smallish bump so was surprised that there's a full grown baby in there. The pics weren't great as young lady had hand up to face all the time. Not long now, only a few weeks to go. Have to pack the bag next! It's a bit scary (and I think that's partly hormonal!) that there will be a baby here soon that we will have to figure out how to look after. It feels a little stressful, not that I would want it to be any different...

It is a bit daunting, but then just remember, people have been doing this for thousands of years! Everyone's parenting style is different, you'll find what's right for yourself and your child. Don't beat yourself up about mistakes, my mother always calls the first kid the 'practice child'....:p

I see there's now a 'Due Jan. 2014' thread. That just makes ours seem even sooner!:-o In just 2 days we'll be having a baby the following month! Mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Paperclipgrad - ya sore ribs are here but also the hip diagonally across from said sore rib is sore, strange.

So glad others are hormonal aswell - I cried watching Cars (disney film) the other day, did the same with Britians Got Talent last week and had a mini breakdown when the small fella bit me! (not hard and I think it could have been an accident).

Its normal to feel out of sorts now - I mean its a waiting game from now on and the unknown of the whole thing can be really scary ! :) I am worried over how the small fella will react - now that its getting closer its more real!

aknitter wrote: »
    Paperclipgrad - ya sore ribs are here but also the hip diagonally across from said sore rib is sore, strange.

I'm guessing this is due to babóg stretching out with their little feetsies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Yes think ribs are getting kicked now for! A strange feeling!
    The count down getting closer is making me impatient! Work is getting harder i thought never get home and in shower! Really pushing self to keep going these days. Bending down is becoming such a challange :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Everyone,

Hope yee are all keeping well. I'm a little better since my last post but my down below region is still quite sore especially when and after I 'go'!!!!
    Aknitter that sounds awful about piles. You poor thing. I'm dreading the fact that they could get worse too after giving birth as can't imagine it being worse!!

My babs is still deffo breech I can clearly feel the head and back up near top and legs kicking towards crotch.

Paperclip- I was also thinking that about having our babies next month in 2 days. In two days when people say when are you due we can say 'oh next month'!

Lynda I know how you feel about work. I am finding it such a struggle. Bending down is a problem at the minute. The kids in my class are intrigued by baby's kicks. They love seeing belly move!! Think I will have to finish up soon enough. I'm not sleeping a wink at night. How are yee all sleeping? Oh guys its getting very exciting isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Ooh, hope the baby turns soon DoubleB - I can't imagine what it must be like for you to be on your feet all day with young school kids. I'm such a slacker, spent most of today lying down and sleeping :) My "down below" region is also suffering a bit. Lots of fanny forks and bladder pain. Had a bad episode on Saturday night where I felt like I was about to wet myself I needed to pee so badly, but I had just been to the toilet twice! Just drank 3 glasses of water and it cleared it up. Naughty baby!

Is anyone's heartburn getting worse? Mine is horrific at the moment, had to go to sleep sitting up last night and it's really disrupting my sleep. I'm thinking that's why I was so tired today.

I saw the Jan 2014 thread and it really made me realise how soon it our babies will be here (some sooner than others :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

was gardening today and my god i really overdid it,Its amazing how what you can do a couple of days ago but you cant now :(
    I have terrible pains under my bump,pelvic region,too much bending over. Had to lie down for an hour.
    Baby is still in breech too like you double b head is headbutting me away.
    I found bread soda and half glass of water works for heartburn, that and small dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

We're like a bunch of crocks :) I'm really struggling the past few days, walking is quite the effort, feels like I got punched or kicked in the groin. Last night had those fanny forks for a few hours, I literally was letting out a shout for some of them they were vicious!! And my bump weighs a ton. OH or my mother are now driving me around.

Murdy, I can empathise with the heartburn. My heartburn has actually improved but it has been awful for months, quite a few nights sleeping sitting up, not exactly fun. But I got lots of sleep last night after about 3 or 4 nights of very little sleep so I was delighted. I'm still wrecked but it helped. I've two weeks left tomorrow, hard to believe. Although I would love to go sooner... I had some contractions Saturday night but they stopped.

Bags are packed, I have one bag in the boot of the car just in case...

Oh, have any of you heard about placenta encapsulation? where your placenta is dried and ground into tablet form? It's supposed to help with baby blues, healing etc. My OH's niece did it 3 weeks ago after an emergency c-section and apparently was raving about how well she felt. I'm trying to research it to see if it's worth doing or just a gimmick. Will chat to doc about it at next appt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

sunshiner wrote: »
    was gardening today and my god i really overdid it,Its amazing how what you can do a couple of days ago but you cant now :(
    I have terrible pains under my bump,pelvic region,too much bending over. Had to lie down for an hour.
    Baby is still in breech too like you double b head is headbutting me away.
    I found bread soda and half glass of water works for heartburn, that and small dinners.

So true. I planted a load of stuff in the garden about a month or so ago and there is no way I could do that now. I have some bulbs I need to plant but going to have to persuade OH to do it...

Blueskye wrote: »

Oh, have any of you heard about placenta encapsulation? where your placenta is dried and ground into tablet form? It's supposed to help with baby blues, healing etc. My OH's niece did it 3 weeks ago after an emergency c-section and apparently was raving about how well she felt. I'm trying to research it to see if it's worth doing or just a gimmick. Will chat to doc about it at next appt.
    no i havent heard of it,ive heard of drying it and then making art out of it. Whatever floats peoples boats i guess.

Have read a bit of stuff that says there's no scientific basis for any benefits to the placenta encapsulation, but as you say there's also people who rave about the benefits they experienced. Suppose thats the same about a lot of baby things, like eating curry to make you go into labour. How much is it to get done? I think if you're going to consume it, a tablet seems a lot more palatable than fried with onions or in a pie or something!! There's actual recipes out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I've heard about the placenta thing too and if you look at other mammals that are usually veggies - the mammies eat the placenta afterwards. Sounds strange to me but as kitty said better as a tablet than panfried with onions!
    Anyone with indegestion try acidex - its amazing, feels almost like it puts a cap on the top of the stomach to keep stuff where it needs to be - best stuff I've ever had.

Double B - honestly we'll be sore in a general way downstairs so picking out whats specifically sore is tough (not sure if thats a good thing or bad!).

Has anyone mentioned to ye to ask for a difene (or other anti-inflammatory) afterwards? I did last time and it really helped with getting around and being able to sit comfortably and with the healing. Word of warning - they give them as a suppository.

They mentioned this in one of my pharmacology lectures.

The placenta, while it has some maternal component, is mostly derived from the fertilized egg and as such carries the baby's genome (i.e, it is the baby's tissue). They said there have been claims that the iron from the placenta is good for the mother, however a one-time ingestion of placenta is unlikely to go far to replenish the mother-and really, better to take Galfer rather than a dehydrated placenta as, unless you get it frozen right away or dehydrate it asap, you won't get much from it.

I had a look at Pubmed, no relevant studies on humans. Kristal et al (2012) reported that most of the molecules found in the placenta are peptides with some steroids and cooking would destroy any potentially beneficial proteins. Dehydration would also denature the proteins sufficiently to reduce any benefit you'd get from them. Really, if you want to get any actual benefit from the placenta, it's best to eat it right after the birth, raw.

It's speculated that eating placentas is a survival benefit for the mother in days where she would give birth in possible isolation so she could live off it for a couple of days while looking after her baby before getting back to the hunting (or whatever).

Yikes!! I think I prefer the idea of a pie :D

You've probably mentioned before, but what is it that you're studying Paperclip?

Incidentally, it was only a relatively short time ago (like last 2 years) that I found out what a placenta actually looks like, and was I in shock. That AND a baby in you?! For some reason I imagined it to be like a little blood clot or something, not a big piece of liver. It was through an article about "Lotus Birth" that I first saw a photo of one...

I did my undergrad in pharmacy in tcd and now I'm doing a masters in applied digital media. Different, I know! I'm hoping to apply my pharm knowledge in childrearing now...we'll always have a well stocked medicine cabinet, lol.

What are you doing, sunshiner?

Yeah, placentas are massive- in fact, they make up about 2lb of your pregnancy weight! Apparently they taste like liver when cooked....raaaank.

There's definitely a benefit to tablets so, never was a fan of liver. 2lbs is mad, I look at my bump that has a supposed 6lb baby in there and I don't know where on earth this piece of anatomy fits in. In a way I'm sort of in awe of a placenta (and biology) though. An "organ" that your body creates out of nothing that only serves a purpose for a set time and then falls out. Apart from growing a baby, you're creating new stuff in your own body, woah!

That is a change in subject matter for your studies all right but that's brilliant, a bit of diversity keeps things fresh I think. I've been an IT head for many many years but a few years ago did a degree in psychotherapy. You'll be the one in the know about all the baby medicines!

Again, technically the baby is growing it, not us! It is impressive though- the body is amazing (I never cease to be fascinated by how drugs work, even though I've had to memorize it to a molecular level), it's almost a miracle. Yes, it'll be handy knowing all those things for baby, not to mention the pros and cons of different pain relief options in labour! Plus I have all the reference books they use in the pharmacy...

Diversity is good for sure, most of the people in my class had another major interest that kept them going when things were difficult, for me it was digital art. ( I still do quite a bit).

Psychotherapy- sounds interesting! Did you do much child psych? Any interesting niblets of info you can pass on to us?

I did my undergrad in pharmacy in tcd and now I'm doing a masters in applied digital media. Different, I know! I'm hoping to apply my pharm knowledge in childrearing now...we'll always have a well stocked medicine cabinet, lol.

What are you doing, sunshiner?

what havent i done, i was in the event organisation business,dealing with live acts for a couple of years,but got sick of the male dominated industry. So i went to college and did hairdressing, then being a mature student but there were little jobs so i decided to do barbering my night. Which i love,good craic, its social. So yeah ill be doing a 4 - 5 hour exam of that, getting examined. Im not looking forward to the standing.

i learnt a lot reading your post there, very interesting facts about the placenta.

• Advertisement

Barbering sounds cool! You could start up a hairdresser's for children, you could theme it for mothers and children, maybe have a play area in the corner where the kids could play while mothers get their hair cut. You could bring your kid along to work that way and it'd be a great way to meet other mothers! You could even start it from home and go from there....

That sounds like a lot of standing- there's a lot of standing involved in pharmacies too (stools/seats aren't allowed in the main pharmacy in case someone trips while carrying bottles or while compounding something), so I'm glad I'm not working in one at the moment! You could request a high stool maybe for the occasional sit down during the exam? I'm sure they could give you some allowances due to the fact that you're preggo!

I prefer doing mens hair, its less time consuming, and theres a bit more craic.
    haha i like your ideas paperclipgrad :D

yeah theres a cutting stool i can use, but its harder to cut with. The tutors are great theyve decided to break the exam into 2 for me, so thats fab. Theyre really nice. I find my back is sore from the standing and stooping. But i will persevere :D

How are you finding your drives? do you stop to take a rest on the way home now?

That's great, a 2 part exam should be easier on you/your back. You could use the stool for less elaborate parts maybe? Handy to have it just in case you decide you'd like it.

I'm actually taking the train- so much easier than driving to and from Dublin/Limerick! I used to walk the 45 minutes between the college and Heuston, but now in the last few weeks I've relented and have started using a taxi. The bus system takes you all the way into town and THEN you can take another bus to the college...taking nearly an hour altogether.

I have a programming lab (i.e, in front of a computer) exam on Mon the 13th and a Business of Digital Media exam on the 17th. Husband will be away in Germany for a conference then, so I'll be going home to Mayo between the exams to get mom's dinners. :D

oh thats not too bad,at least you can have a snooze on the train :D
    well at least when the exams are over we can a rest.

I'll still have my thesis to work on. :D At least all this work is making the days fly by- I won't feel the time pass before the baby comes!

Omg Blueskyer - two weeks! So crazy :)

Sunshiner, I was just thinking about how you train as a barber earlier. There's a place near my parents that's always looking for staff and I was wondering if you did special barber training or what. Now I know :) Hope the exam goes well and the standing doesn't hurt too much.

Interesting about the difene aknitter, I've had it before for migraines and it made me really really ill (I think it's hard on the stomach for lots of people). Might see how much I puke during labour first (I'm expecting loads, given how the first four months of my pregnancy went!)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Omg Blueskyer - two weeks! So crazy :)

Sunshiner, I was just thinking about how you train as a barber earlier. There's a place near my parents that's always looking for staff and I was wondering if you did special barber training or what. Now I know :) Hope the exam goes well and the standing doesn't hurt too much.
    Well you dont have to do hairdressing to do barbering murdy, You could do a course in barbering or you can be an apprentice, . Lots of jobsbridge schemes have made apprenticeships rare to find.

sunshiner wrote: »
    Well you dont have to do hairdressing to do barbering murdy, You could do a course in barbering or you can be an apprentice, . Lots of jobsbridge schemes have made apprenticeships rare to find.

I'd be a terrible Barber, I'm not very good with my hands. I wouldn't trust myself :D Was just wondering how you became one as I always see Barber's jobs advertised! Fair play to you for working away at while pregnant :)

I would like to retrain in something before going back to work in a couple of years but I just have no idea what! The only thing I want to do involves going back to college and doing another 4 year degree full time and I don't think I can face that. I've done it once!

What is this thing that would involve another 4 year degree? Doing something like that sounds hellish, but each to their own!

Can't believe BlueSkyer has only 2 weeks left- the first of us to go! Don't forget to keep us updated during the labour...

• Advertisement

What is this thing that would involve another 4 year degree? Doing something like that sounds hellish, but each to their own!

Can't believe BlueSkyer has only 2 weeks left- the first of us to go! Don't forget to keep us updated during the labour...

Veterinary Nursing :) It'd be worth it but the fees are so expensive as well. Maybe if I win the lotto!

Can't wait to hear about the twins arrival either, hope you get time to update us Blueskye!

Advertisement