Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Very funny Murdy!!! Oh you poor thing you must be fed up of the puking at this stage. Might it b any harm to giv a call to your Dr? I hate the thought of you still getting sick at this stage. I was a bit off this morning but no puking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

DoubleB wrote: »
    krankykitty you poor thing. I really hope you get some relief today and a good sleep tonight. Hope everyone else is feeling better today. I am loving being off. I dunno how I'll go back to work after Easter! I ordered some bits and bobs of inhealth.ie seems like a good site. Ordered the multimam nipple compresses, disposable undies(which are washable 10 times), mat pads and boo boo perineum oil. It can b used in other areas too. Might b worth a try to prevent tears?

Hee hee - perineum oil! When are you guys going to start the perineal massage? I'm trying not to think about it!

Also, a girl I know who had a baby is having some problems with her waterworks afterwards so she keeps telling me to do pelvic floor exercises - I'm also trying not to think about that either!

Being off work makes a big difference, doesn't it doubleb? So much easier :)

Very funny Murdy!!! Oh you poor thing you must be fed up of the puking at this stage. Might it b any harm to giv a call to your Dr? I hate the thought of you still getting sick at this stage. I was a bit off this morning but no puking.

Thanks :) I told the doc last time that I still get sick every few days and he seemed surprised but not worried. I wasn't great yesterday either but I'm at the hospital for a check-up on Tuesday so I'll just say it to them then. I have our first antenatal class tonight so I need to stop puking by then!

I've no idea how to do the massage and hate the thoughts of it but am willing to give it a try. I'm hoping to give birth with no epidural but this could change at the time. With my first baby who was born at 25 weeks I gave birth with no pain relief at all(no gas/air or anything) and it really was not that bad painwise at all. Just traumatic as I knew baby was stillborn but pain of contractions I found very managable and I've had worse period pains! I actually liked being in control of tears. If I felt too much pressure I told my Doc and he eased off ended up with no tears at all. I was pushing for almost an hour. I know bab was small but it really helped all the same. Totally personal pref thou of course and I could be shouting for the epi when time comes. I found waterworks were not great after birth thou that was the only thing. If I sneezed, laughed etc I might leak a little. (cringe!!!) Have tried doing the PF exercises this time around if I think of it which isn't too often but have no idea if I'm doing it at all. Find it really hard.

And yes its wonderful being off Murdy. I've just been laying off reading beauty reviews on beaut.ie Going to order a few new products for myself as a treat as all I'v been buying lately is baby stuff!!! Did u ever see Mothers who put all their energy into making their kids look immaculate and kinda start forgetting bout themselves- don't wanna become like that he he !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Gosh KK, sounds awful. Hope you get some relief. Even on one side.

And Murdy, how are you managing still vomiting? I vomit a bit at night time now but most of the day I'm fine. Ugh I remember the first trimester and hated every minute of the nausea and vomiting. You poor thing.

You girls are brill for coping with all these difficulties.

Had my steroid injections last night and this morn for babies lungs. Then had a scan. Boys weigh 3lbs 6oz and 3lbs 8oz, 50th and 57th percentile. Thrilled :) so they're right on track. Only 6 and a bit weeks to go but doc v happy with their progress. She thinks they'll stay put til 37 weeks so really hopeful they won't need special care. They should put on a good bit more weight by then. So just need to take it easy and rest. Luckily I'm tall so there's still a good bit of room in there for them.

Thats great Blueskye, the boys are growing big and strong by the sounds of things. How many weeks are you now? I'm 29 weeks now and was told on Tues that my babs is 2.5 pounds? Isn't it mad to think that even if our babies were born at this stage they would have a great chance of being perfect!!

I just had the weirdest popping sensation followed by lots of movement high up on my right hand side. It scared the life outta me. It wasn't a pain but very uncomfortable!!

Thats great Blueskye, the boys are growing big and strong by the sounds of things. How many weeks are you now? I'm 29 weeks now and was told on Tues that my babs is 2.5 pounds? Isn't it mad to think that even if our babies were born at this stage they would have a great chance of being perfect!!

I just had the weirdest popping sensation followed by lots of movement high up on my right hand side. It scared the life outta me. It wasn't a pain but very uncomfortable!!

Ya I'm thrilled with their weight gain. Very proud mama :) I'm 30+3. Ya it's a relief really knowing they'd likely be ok even
    If they came now, but hopeful they'll cook for another 6 weeks.

That sounds weird but I'm sure it's just baby moving around. They like moving around in there :)

It's great you know your two boys are ok, you must be getting really excited now. Hopefully you'll be able to keep them cooking for the next 6 weeks so they come out as healthy and strong as possible!

Had our first antenatal class tonight. It was just an introductory thing but it was very good. I'm impressed at all the help the hospital provides, there's free classes for everything! Still feeling really ill but have managed not to throw up since lunchtime. I feel like I did back in the days when my ms was bad. I think it must be a baby growth spurt because my bump is quite sore and feels like its expanding. Will just need to take it easy.

I wanted to go to Aqua Fit today but didnt think puking in the pool was a good idea! I'm hoping I'll be ok in the morning to go down. We had a physiotherapist talk to us tonight about pregnancy exercise and it made me realise how much good the classes are doing me.

Also, I was getting a bit worried that everyone was so surprised that I'm 6 months pregnant but so "neat". I was worried the baby is too small (even though I know he's weighing average). Tonight, looking around at all the other pregnant women I didn't think I was that small. Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to people as it'll only make you feel bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

I had my alternative antenatal class last week, it was brilliant, all about making a birthing plan,different yoga birthing positions and about breathing techniques.
    All about taking control of the whole experience and not to feel pressured into anything your not comfortable with.

Found out theres a breastfeeding group every friday and i might go along before i the big day and get some tips etc.plus it will be great to meet new mums.

thats great news blueskye you must be delighted. Krankykitty i hope you get some relief. Murdy you poor thing hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Hope everyone is well. I am feeling great no complaints. Just starting to be in bits after dinners not as Able big meals in evening. Bump is huge hope doesn't go so much bigger ha ;) breastfeeding is something I reallly love to do but seems very hard looking at other boards.

Hav my nesting syndrome to maximum trying get house ready for the arrival and nice and homely!

Happy Friday all!
    Lynda I hear ya on the nesting. I'm the same even thou my house is a mess at the minute!

Going shopping for the rest of the hospital bag stuff tomorrow. Are yee bringing 2 bags dividing them into what you'll need during the labour/ birth and then a seperate bag for after the birth? I'm going to have baby's first items(vest, baby gro, nappy, hat, mittens, cotton wool) in a large zip lock bag so hubby can grab that easily. Thanks to the Mammy who posted this tip before!

Also have yee thought about ur birthplan? I have divided mine into 4 sections as follows:
    -Personal info and background info, hubby's contact info etc
    -Requests for before the birth(epi to b offered every 20 mins, warning before cut off point for epi etc)
    -Requests for during the birth(Active labour, not on back if possible, episiotomy to b avoided if poss etc)
    -Requests for after the birth (skin to skin contact with baby asap, cord to b left to pulsate etc)
    Its one A4 sheet full, is that too much ya think? Anything in particular yee are adding that is important to yee that ye don't mind sharing.

thats pretty much what im going to do, i will put in if i want pain relief i will ask, instead of it being insisted on. i think i will want as much privacy as possible rather that nurses in and out which can happen alot.
    maybe access to the birthing pool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Thats pretty much what the midwives will want from us, but be prepared for it to go out the window at some point! When my last baby arrived the cord was around his neck, they thought he'd had a bowel movement and he needed a bit of resuscitation so all the after birth stuff didn't happen. Also birthing pools etc can be occupied by other women so it might be a case tough!! I know of some women who got so wrapped up in how it was 'supposed' to be that they were so disappointed afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hi All, hope you are having a good bank holiday weekend! Just got hit with wave of tiredness today so just trying to rest where I can. Still not much rest at night but getting through day by day.

Forgot to post up some handy tips I learned at the course last week (some might be obvious but I'm a baby noob)

Bottle Feeding
    • Bottle feeding - Break down bottle components, wash in soapy water, rinse then sterilise. Boil water, don't let cool more than 20 mins. Make 6 bottles, store in fridge body (4oz). Shake, cool by putting into cold water and refrigerate. These are safe for 24 hours.
    • Wrap muslin cloth around the baby before feeding
    • Vitamin D supplement for first year - you can get this with a little dropper to put into their mouths (sterilise)

Washing Baby
    • Check water with elbow
    • Wrap baby in towel - wash face with cotton wool. Don't go near the eyes. If there are crusty bits in the eye, use fresh piece of cotton wool for each eye, and wipe from inside to out.
    • Give good rub around the baby's head
    • For the tail, take off the nappy and clean bum with cotton wool front to back
    • If giving full bath, before putting baby in, rest them with head on your wrist and with the other, splash water on the baby's head. Even for baldy babies, use a soft bristle brush to stop cradle cap. THey can also get this in their eyebrows!
    • Clean cord with water, just the upper part and the skin close to the surface.
    • Use vaseline on bum after wash and dry. If red, use sudocream then vaseline

Info from Paediatrician
    • Blocked/Stuffy nose - babies breathe through nose so snot (sorry!) will make it harder for them to breathe. Keep a bottle of saline drops, give them every 3 hours throughout the day, and at bedtime/waking
    • Cord care - just check the skin is normal around the bellybutton and not going red/inflamed et
    • Hip issues - sometimes babies are prone to dislocated hips. A risk factor is if they have been breech all along. There's nothing to worry about, you can get special nappies that sort of splint the hip in place and then it will be fine. You can get an ultrasound done on the hip to check if necessary
    • Washing - don't bother with bubble baths, just use emulsifying ointment. Scoop out a spoon of it in a cup and make a paste with boiling water, add to the bath. You can use the emulsifying ointment as moisturiser. This is especially good if baby has eczema
    • Sleeping through night - don't expect this until they are at least 5 kilos!!
    • Sleeping conditions - Keep 2 layers on baby, vest and babygrow. One sheet enough or two if it is very cold, or a cellular blanket. Room should be 16-18 degrees ideally, as warm room can give them a blocked nose. Sleep on back only.
    • Muscle tone etc - When changing nappy, pull baby up to sitting by using their arms, this is good for them. Just support gently at back so the neck doesn't hyper extend. At about 6 months they should be able to support their trunk sitting up
    • Tummy Time - important to build up the muscles that help baby with getting themselves into standing/walking. Make it entertaining for them by putting your own head down at their level
    • Reflux - vomiting too much. If the vomit looks like it has ground coffee in it, baby wil need an antacid.
    • Feeding problems - intolerance to lactose or protein. this can be like colic. Swaddling can help baby with colic
    • Temperature, when to worry? 37.3 degrees is normal. Anything under 38 may be to do with environmental conditions, so check the temp in the room, or baby's clothes. Remove an item of clothing and check again in a while and see if it's gone down. Anything over 38 in a young baby should be checked and ideally by a&e as a whole range of tests need to be done.
    • Get baby checked if their colour isn't normal looking, if they're more cranky or sleepy than usual with no reason, if they are eating less than half their normal intake, if they are not having wet nappy (as this can mean dehydration) or if you just feel worried. The paediatrician at the talk said that he always takes seriously if a parent feels there's something just not right as they know their babies the best, and that if something's different about your baby it's up to them to find the reasons why.

That was very interesting post and tips thanks enjoyed it! I am
    So tired today aswel. Went town with OH and walked
    All around and went for dinner and then he has a pint or two! Lovely atmosphere in town and great day but had such headache and tiredness when home I'm going bed now! Clocks go ahead today. Find now whenimget
    Too full I'm sick and vomit ! Hav go smaller
    Meals! Feel like ate
    Lots rubbish back healthy tomorrow ! Hope all well and happy Easter! 30 weeks Monday feel like its a milestone of pregnancy ;)

Thanks KK. I 'm going to have to print that out. We covered it in our antenatal day but my brain is like a sieve at the moment!!

I'm the same Lynda, I can't eat a whole lot anymore, especially after 6pm. There's just no room and I end up vomiting or with really bad heartburn. I actually think while my bump continues to expand, I'm losing weight everywhere else. Babies kicking like mad, can really feel them getting stronger :)

some good tips there :)

Is that what you were told about the bottles? In Limerick and in Cork what people are being told is to make them up as you need them, not to do in advance and store them.

Actually I always thought they changed their advice to give breastfeeding the edge in the convenience stakes!

I heard they do advice to make all bottles fresh but some girls in work said health nursee said its not possible and to make few a time! More manageable and ok.
    Just back from walk even though alot more effort to go its worth it a afterwards.
    Hope everyone well

• Advertisement

Ya that makes perfect sense.

Taking the small man to funderland today for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

aknitter wrote: »
    Is that what you were told about the bottles? In Limerick and in Cork what people are being told is to make them up as you need them, not to do in advance and store them.

Actually I always thought they changed their advice to give breastfeeding the edge in the convenience stakes!

That's what they said all right, though the midwife giving the course did say the advice seems to change every second day!

Hope you are all enjoying the bank holiday. I'm not sure my nerve block has done much for me so far, haven't improved sleep wise at all even though I now have painkillers as well. It's been a bad couple of weeks for sleep/pain. He did say it might take a few days to kick in. Though, he won't be doing the other side till the end of April now so not sure how that will work out :(

Hi all - hope you had a nice Easter weekend. KK - any improvement with the nerve block?

I had a quiet enough weekend, had a bad few days where I was quite vomity but it seems to have gone away now and my appetite has returned. I was in with the midwife today and everything is on track with the baby so that's reassuring. I talked to her about my weight gain as that is my only worry (that I'm not putting enough on) and she said it is steady enough and baby is getting everything he needs. She said all I can do is eat as well as I can on good days and get through the bad days so that makes me feel less guilty! So pleased with the difference with the midwives then when I was in with the doctor last time - much more of a focus on how I'm doing etc.

Hey murdy sorry u still vomiting ! I'm getting like that in evening now aswel and just bit uncomfortable and tired overall! 8 more week of work! Getting tired now! Still pushing the walking so I stay well
    Yes midwives are great. I'm not back in till 34 weeks and only In midwive clinic.

Hav u all made post birth plans? Will partners be off for some time?

lynda18 wrote: »
    Hey murdy sorry u still vomiting ! I'm getting like that in evening now aswel and just bit uncomfortable and tired overall! 8 more week of work! Getting tired now! Still pushing the walking so I stay well
    Yes midwives are great. I'm not back in till 34 weeks and only In midwive and clinic.

Hav u all made post birth plans? Will partners be off for some time?

Ah, I'm alright now. Having a good day :) Definitely hear you on being uncomfortable in the evenings. It's not easy! 8 more weeks will fly in - think how fast it's gone since we all got our anomaly scans?!

Hubby is taking all his annual leave when the baby is born (I think he'll have nearly 3 weeks) and after that his job is quite flexible so he might start working from home a bit more and working shorter days. We're lucky he's in the kind of job he's in! His aunt is coming to Dublin 4 weeks after baby is due to visit (but isn't staying with us, thank god) so he'll be working less around then too. Can't wait for baby to be here and us all to be together as a family! :)

Had an interesting conversation with the midwife today - I get a lot of movements, to the extent that it's actually quite painful and disruptive. My bump is constantly rippling like there's an alien in there. Husband asked if there was such a thing as too much movement and the midwife said generally on scans babies move the same amount, it's just some women can feel it more depending on their body, where the placenta is etc. Was good to hear!

I was told my iron is low so I have to start taking Galfer - I was taking it but then got lazy. Anyone else taking it? I'm with my GP in 2 weeks and then back in the midwives clinic 2 weeks after that - when I'm 32 weeks and they want to test my iron then again. Need to be good about taking the damn things! :D

Yes best take iron as need it for labour. I haven't been to told to
    Take any yet so see how goes.
    Yes my partner going take two half weeks off
    After
    And then my mam might take a week. Will definitely need alot of
    Help esp when we recovering ourselves.
    God it's really a struggle getting up
    These mornings. Seem be back sleeping better past 3 nights which is great though.

How's everyone today? Feeling perkier? I had a bad nights sleep, had lots of nightmares (thought the hormone induced dreams were over!) so I'm quite tired this afternoon. Got loads of errands done today too so been out and about. The house needs a good clean but it can wait for tomorrow!

Got my antenatal class this evening and even though I'm interested in what we'll learn I'd love to just stay at home! Going to get the dart in which is a big step up for me - up until now I just haven't trusted myself getting public transport due to the pukeyness/tiredness. I'll be like a normal person !! :D

Finally got some sleep feel better, my back is still at me so im just sitting around not doing much. I dont really care at this stage how messy the place is. I just feel sorry for the poor doggies.
    Sorry to hear about the nightmares they suck, hope it goes well in the antenatal classes.

Hi Everyone, Sunshiner I'm glad to hear you got some sleep. Hope you are feeling better today Murdy. I managed a short walk with my dog earlier but am really feeling tired. I'm dreading the thoughts of going back to work on Monday I don't know how I'll cope. My latest complaint is that I am just so breathless and find it hard to breath when I lie down. Any ideas on why this might be? The more I think about it the worse it is so it could be slightly panic related too even thou I know I can't take a breath as deeply as I could before.

I realised I don't have near enough baby gros going to order a few online now. Apaprt from Next, mammas n papas mothercare anywhere else u recommend for nice online baby clothes? I started a thread about baby's coming home outfit yee may have seen it but some other posters gave lots of great tips.

Kranky kitty- thanks so much for all the info u posted up there. I will laso be printing that off. I've decided not to go to antenatal classes so I'm delighted to get the info. I just find the questions from other well meaning parents too hard re if its my first baby or not etc and dont want to cause them worry too about their own babies(even though what happened my first baby would have been detected at least 2 months ago at this stage) so any info yee get I'll be delighted to hear it.

• Advertisement

Double b my breathing is same ESP when lie down its the uterus leaning on diaphram!!!
    I had some bleeding yest and was in rotunda but I'm ok now. Just totally drained and sore legs and headaches. All seems fine. Was scared early labour !!!
    The tiredness is going be here till end now I say ;)
    Double b that is tough wit classes! I suppose I ask that question so much without thinking of it! It's nice u to be considerate bit don't worry bout people too much. Totally understand y u feel though.

Advertisement