Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Aww, DoubleB that's hard with the classes - I'll make sure to pass any info on to about baby care etc you from mine as well! It's understandable though that you would feel that way. Things must be a bit harder for you given what happened.

Tonight was about the first stage of labour and it was fantastic. I feel so much better about things as a lot of the uncertainty was taken away. It was all about when to come to hospital and about how the hospital manage your labour so now I have a good idea of what will happen say if my labour doesn't progress or starts to stall or if baby's heartrate falls. I know how often things are checked for etc - they were great. It was so clear and the midwife was also very fair about getting pain relief - I was expecting them to be very anti epidural but she was very good about it. One of my biggest fears was the uncertainty of it all so I feel so much better now knowing a bit more about what is coming. If anyone else is having their baby in Holles Street I'm happy to share :) Next week is the second and third stage of labour.

DoubleB - have you tried h and m for baby stuff? I bought some stuff there and they do nice maternity stuff too. Pretty sure you can buy online from there. You can also buy from mothercare online. I bought my babygros/vests from a mixture of places, just picking them up here or there so I've stuff from all over. Amazon have a great selection of baby stuff too - companies sell through Amazon so some of the stuff comes from online shops all over. Might be worth a look. I just did an order today of the final stuff ï needed (wall stickers for the nursery and a gro egg room thermometer as well as some crib bed linen!)

I get out of breath too but oddly when I'm sitting - just think baby pushes your diaphragm up so it feels like you're short of breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Gosh you must have got an awful fright Lynda. Glad to hear all is ok.

DoubleB, I get breathless a lot, I think it is often position of baby pushing on lungs, they literally squash all your body parts.

I got my babygros in Mothercare, Penny's, Dunnes, Tesco mostly.

I planted a few plants in the garden this morning but then spent most of the afternoon dozing on the couch. Heartburn is really bad at the moment but no vomiting last night which was a relief. Our travel system arrived this evening, 5 boxes in the hall...I'll have to work up the energy to sort that out...

Loving the sunshine and longer evenings :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

*Hugs* Double B, that's tough. I will let you know if I hear any other good tips. I'm sure when we all start having our babies we can still come back to this thread if we have time, and maybe we can help each other then too with the thousands of questions that are bound to have...

I get that breathlessness thing too when lying down. It is a bit like the feeling you get when you're anxious and it's hard to differentiate sometimes. I think if you're on your back, if you prop yourself up with pillows it might help...

Lynda, glad to hear you're OK, the bleeding must have been scary. Hope you are getting to relax now!

Sunshiner, hows the back now? Is anything helping? I sometimes find heat is a bit soothing.

Glad you enjoyed the course Murdy, it is reassuring to have stuff spelled out to you, isn't it!

Was at my 32 week appointment today, all is good, baby is breech still (incidentally, while in the waiting room I felt a hard lump protrude under my ribs, which I guess was a head!!!). The midwife and consultant are both wanting to get me signed off work saying I've done well to get to this stage. I just can't help feeling guilty about it. I know that it will be much easier to cope as I will have more opportunity to catch up on sleep, plus it might help emotionally as I find every couple of days I turn into a mad woman from the tiredness. I was worrying that the baby might be getting sick of the environment my body is creating but they were reassuring me that they have no concept of any pain that you're in.

I just feel awkward and guilty and stuff, I know I'm being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Double B, thats totally understandable.hugs
    Lynda yikes you must have got a fright, did they ease your mind why it happened?im glad you and baby are ok. xt
    Krankykitty i hope you get signed off soon you wont know yourself. And you can concentrate on you! I cant imagine what it must be like to be in so much pain all the time. Ive had a dodgy back on and off occupational hazard so all that helps is rest and hot water bottles

a good freebie for the pregnancy fair in dublin and cork, if you sign up on the sma website you get free tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Hey guys, just wondering how everyone is doing?
    I'm 29 weeks now and time is flying!!!
    Only problem I have is sleeping, I just can't seem to relax, and have a good sleep.
    I'm stressing over money so much lately and keep having nightmares, I'm upset all the time and I take it out on myself. I feel so shut up in myself, and lost. I'm trying to convince myself not to make any decisions till the Summer, after she's born, but I can't help but worry about things. I have no money and everyday is a struggle to eat and buy petrol to get to college. I have to choose between things, and I feel so upset about it, I shouldn't have to. We've applied to social welfare, but everybody is so unhelpful and nothing's getting done. I don't know what to do or where to go. If only I wasn't a mountain, I might be able to get stuff done, or at least go somewhere else, but everythings a hassle now.

I feel like I might just need a nice relaxing day, and just do something not exerting myself, but I have no idea what.. The other half is going out tonight again, so I'm alone at his parents, which is awkward enough...

Does anyone have some advice for me? I cannot take it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hey guys, I feel strangely comforted that I know some people out there are having hard pregnancies aswell. Any one I know in 'real life' is flying about like being pregnant is a blip in their life and its so wonderful etc - I really feel like screaming at one or two, though they are sympathetic when they see me limp off or grimace when I take a step!!

For the breathing - try sleeping on your side it helps when your back doesn't have the bed behind it to push against - your lungs can expand much better. A pillow under the bump and between knees will also help. Also when I was in the hospital I was given Acidex for the heartburn and it is brilliant €6 or so for 500ml, available in the pharmacy, my heartburn literally disappears after taking it.

Had physio the other day and I was told to minimize lifting my toddler (he's 2 on the the 13th) :( as its throwing out the muscles in my back and hips. I am in some pain after her but its because the muscle along the right side of my back was taking so much strain that now things are released its recovering.

Jennii. wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering how everyone is doing?
    I'm 29 weeks now and time is flying!!!
    Only problem I have is sleeping, I just can't seem to relax, and have a good sleep.
    I'm stressing over money so much lately and keep having nightmares, I'm upset all the time and I take it out on myself. I feel so shut up in myself, and lost. I'm trying to convince myself not to make any decisions till the Summer, after she's born, but I can't help but worry about things. I have no money and everyday is a struggle to eat and buy petrol to get to college. I have to choose between things, and I feel so upset about it, I shouldn't have to. We've applied to social welfare, but everybody is so unhelpful and nothing's getting done. I don't know what to do or where to go. If only I wasn't a mountain, I might be able to get stuff done, or at least go somewhere else, but everythings a hassle now.

I feel like I might just need a nice relaxing day, and just do something not exerting myself, but I have no idea what.. The other half is going out tonight again, so I'm alone at his parents, which is awkward enough...

Can you talk to someone in student welfare in college? I know when I was in college they were helpful. I'm sure lots of girls get pregnant while studying so they'll have loads of advice!

Aknitter - I feel like other women are sailing through their pregnancies as well! It is nice to hear we're all going through different things. My hubby has man flu and is feeling very sorry for himself. Was awake a lot during the night so knackered today. He's been so good to me through the hyperemesis as well so u feel like I need to look after him today!

Sunshiner, is ur OH any better? How was the doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Jennii. wrote: »
    I'm stressing over money so much lately and keep having nightmares, I'm upset all the time and I take it out on myself. I feel so shut up in myself, and lost.

The other half is going out tonight again, so I'm alone at his parents, which is awkward enough...

This would be a major warning bell for me - you can't afford the basics to try and better yourself and get through college without having to choose between food and petrol and your other half is off out "again" tonight.... you really need to sit down and have a serious chat with him.

unfortunately I have been on social welfare and the only way to get answers is pure persistence - go down to the office EVERY day - take the name of every individual you speak with on the first day - the person who promises to do something for you - take their name and then go back the next day and ask for them directly to make sure they did it - follow up constantly.

good luck with everything.

Jennii, I had my first at 17 and I know exactly how you feel, you know you are doing the right thing by going to college but it can feel like you are being punished in the short term for making the right long term decision. We missed completely the boom as it took 7 years for both my now husband and I to finish college. But it is really worth it in the end, our degrees are what we are most proud of (aside from our babas of course).

Print out what you wrote here and give it to your other half, sometimes its harder say something but you already have it written down so let that do your talking for you. Also wait until the baby is born before making any life changing decisions etc - you dont know how you'll react to having a baby until its there in your arms. Me I was more determined than ever to do the college thing after my daughter was born and woe betide anyone who tried to stop me!

Keep an eye on places like groupon or alpharooms for hotel deals, get one a deal for a night away at a hotel (doesn't have to be miles away - I live in cork and had a fab night away on my own in the city center- I highly recommend it to anyone). As for the SW - I agree with highly pure persistence and write the name of anyone you talk to down. Also citizens information is a great place to go to for free impartial advise on your entitlements and as murdy said the college is a great tool so use it.

Good luck and trust me, it gets easier.

jenni i think you need to talk to your other half re his priorities especially if your struggling so much. No amount of stress is worth it. The others made really good suggestions, are your own family of much help?

murdy finally got himself to a doctor. Not much sleep last night im hoping i will see some light at the end of the tunnel when hes better.

• Advertisement

For those of you ordering from abroad (esp the UK) check this out, hubby is using it and is cheaper than getting stuff sent direct

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

Thanks guys.:)
    We went social welfare so many times :( I'm not entitled to anything and he kept being given different things to fill out and forms to get, which we've just about got now. He was REFUSED money until we got all the forms despite telling them how badly we were doing.

He's stressing a whole lot too, and I know it's upsetting him watching me cry every morning and waking up in such a state at all hours cause of nightmares, he has no idea how to help and we've talked things through. Didn't realise how bad things were till we got a message this morning (just after I posted) saying my insurance has been cancelled, which means I'll have to drive illegally even to get to college, which is ridiculous!!! I can't believe anybody in the SW would even doubt us, with a situation like ours, just irritates me so much!!

I'm definitely planning on completing this college year. I cannot believe I left my job to go to college, just to be screwed like this!! So annoyed, and at 6 months pregnant, this is not what I need.

Hope everybody else is having it easier!!
    XxX

Its such a cliche but a problem shared usually is......

College will be worth it in the end, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Jenny things sound awfully tough at min but when baby arrives u will relax more! Hav u another year in college after this year? Would I get better support lf u moved out his mams? Money is scary these days and needs be more support for people. But all wil work out fine !! Hope u be ok

Hope all feeling well. I'm just Bout over scare they seen blood in hospital aswel bit still no explanation. Getting some braxton hicks tonight. Stil not feeling great but alot better. Still terrified going labour too early.
    Hav a bad feeling bout things still. But please god all be ok.

Murdy did class give any breastfeeding tips. Hav u all bought pumps or waiting?

My sister is buying us a bouncer. Delighted. All the bits of help really needed :)

Thanks Lynda, things are quite scary :/ I have 3 years left, only in first year :( I started college late.. I live with him in a horrible house in Sligo, his parents live in Donegal, Mine in clare, they don't have the money to be bailing us out though and I feel terrible needing it all the time..

Still waiting to get a pump, have loads of bottles haha, crazy how close we're getting, can't wait to hold my little girl and cuddle her everyday. Has everyone picked out names yet? :)

They'll be covering breast feeding in 2/3 weeks so I'll pass on any tips! They're definitely very pro breast feeding anyway. There's a breast feeding class the first Friday if every month so I'm going to go to the May one. I did buy a pump but got a cheaper one than first intended in case I don't need it much!

Try not to worry to much Lynda, baby has a mind if his/her own and all you can do is test up and look after yourself. My friends sis had her baby at 32 weeks. He's 12 weeks old now and is a little bruiser!

Glad your OH is on the mend Sunshiner. Having tried to sleep next to my husband with man flu for 2 nights I don't know how you did it!

Jeniii, if you were working will you get maternity benefit? That might take a weight off with regards to money. It sounds like your boyfriend needs to get really serious and get on to social welfare and do those forms. He'll need to be pushy - that should be his job so you can relax a bit . Is he working/studying? Can one if you defer for a year to take some pressure off?

We're doing the nursery today. My Dad was over last night giving us a hand moving the furniture out. Really looking forward to getting sorted. Also going to pack labour bag , after our antenatal class this week we've realised it's best to have it done!

I got the medela swing breast pump, pricey but im told worth it, i invested in a different size nipple part as they vary. Its hand though you can get them online.
    I was gonna check out the breastfeeding group in my area before i give birth, as the mums and nurse are suppose to be brilliant, see if i can get some tips.
    I was thinking of doing a mother and baby yoga class afterwards i think it would be nice.

Jennii we are all here for you so do post away it always makes me feel better.

Lynda im glad your feeling better, try not to worry im sure things will be ok i know its hard to shake bad frights like that.

Murdy you must be dead excited about doing the nursery, where did you order your wall stickers from? I think when im more mobile and himself is better we will try crack on.

I got the stickers from Amazon, think they were bout 13GBP. I think you can get them cheaper in Other places but Amazon had the best selection, pages and pages of then! We got jungle ones :)

Hubby built the changing table and then had to go back to bed so nursery setting up has halted. He is the worst patient when he's sick!

I've been cooking lasagnes for the freezer this afternoon so I don't have to cook the first few weeks the baby is home. I used to love cooking but the hyperemesis kind of stopped that so I'm really enjoying being back in the kitchen. Making some cakes next :)

ok thanks murdy ill take alook. ;D Thats a great idea about the dinners

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

We don't no if boy or girl so our nursery is coming along very uni sex but very cute. Still so much to buy not sure to put free standin or fitted wardrobe in.
    Hard to know !!we got farm animals stickers in home base. Cuten up room alot. Have get curtains now and lamp shade. amazing the preparation that goes into these babies :)!
    Going pack hospital bag next week aswel or just but stuff in
    Least be one more thing off the ever ending list :)

• Advertisement

sunshiner wrote: »
    ok thanks murdy ill take alook. ;D Thats a great idea about the dinners

Hopefully I'll be able to do some more in the next few weeks - it is tiring cooking in bulk but it'll be so handy when the time comes!

Have fun looking at wall stickers, there's so many nice baby things on Amazon.

leaning towards elephants and owls.
    I dont know what im having yet either lynda, i have a scan on thursday im so excited.

The nurseries sound so cute, our babs will have to share with his/her older brother so we'll have negotiate a bit!

My babs is still breech and is currently using my bladder as a football!

aknitter wrote: »
    The nurseries sound so cute, our babs will have to share with his/her older brother so we'll have negotiate a bit!

My babs is still breech and is currently using my bladder as a football!

If/when we have another our two will have to share too! They'll probably love it aknitter! :)

Got some exciting news tonight. My husband's cousin and his wife are expecting. The two of them are like brothers more than cousins so it's like a niece/ nephew for us! She's due in Oct so only 3 months between our babas. Unfortunately they live in South Africa so we won't see them much but we're still over the moon for them. They were telling us about the system in SA - you have to pay privately, there's no free healthcare and the costs they were telling us were unreal. Everything little thing from a doc visit to blood tests and scans is charged and added to your bill. They were telling us how lucky we are not having to pay anything. We should count our blessings ladies, we are very lucky!!

He quit college in November, cause he wasn't doing well, he's promised now to be really pushy, but even job wise he's being incredibly lazy with looking, I know it's difficult and there's not many jobs available, but I see that as a reason to really push himself onto the manager. I'm not working anymore, I quit for college, but I know I'd get it back, even if just seasonal, it was in Dunnes and I was there for a couple years, I know everyone there and basically trained into everywhere. I'm thinking of deferring next year and just working in Dunnes should I get the job. I dunno if I'd go back next year though, cause I think I'd like to progress into management with Dunnes in a few years instead.. I'd really like to do a HR course, part time, online etc... and maybe become a HR manager there. It's just I don't know if it's a stupid idea, or if it's a good logical idea :/ I'm going to try not to make any decisions till after the baby's born anyway, it's just so stressful :( If I get a job, I can save a bit for him to do a little course in like security, or something, and if we get SW soon he can help pay too, it's going to work out right? ha :/

I have the nursery done now too :) Have almost everything :) Cannot wait! only 11 weeks till DD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hey Jennii, you're really having a tough time of it :( The idea of getting into management in Dunnes sounds like a great option but it would have to weigh up against completing the current course. Is there a part time option on your course that you could go back to in a few years time, if you really wanted to finish? You might be able to transfer some of your credits from this course onto a part time HR course? I agree it's probably not the best time to make choices right now!

I made a big decision on Friday and I am going to actually listen to medical instructions and be signed off work. It was a bit emotional like I was leaving a big part of my life behind that I won't be returning to for a year at least. I think I've made the right decision. I only worked 2.5 days last week and I was almost fainting with the tiredness on Friday.

Unfortunately although I now have one less thing to worry about, I'm not sure how I'll get through the next weeks with the way the nights are :( I am running on sleep deprivation and pain right now! Hopefully in a week or two I will feel better from not having to get up and go to work so I'll be able to do a few things. Feel like a right drip at the moment.

Honestly KK, you made the right decision, once you don't have to go to work not sleeping at night becomes much less stressful and difficult. Because I know I can sleep during the day if I need to it makes things so much easier. You 'll be able to take good care of yourself and the baby. i'm eating properly and exercising now when i wasn't able for it before. My life got a hundred times easier when I have up work!

Jennii, you sound a bit more positive anyway so hope you're feeling better. It sounds like going back to Dunnes and studying part time might be a good option. Yeah, it wasn't your lan to do that but sometimes life throws things at us and we have to go with it! There's loads of ways to get qualifications and if there's opportunities for management then that's great. Would your partner be at home to mind the baby or would you need childcare? That's something to take into consideration too. Also. And I might be way off the mark here but make sure your not the only one making compromises and giving things up. Your bf needs to do his part too!

Thanks KK and murdy :) I am way more positive today!! I do think the year out will be beneficial anyway so I'll do that and if I get my job back, even better!! He has no experience in anything so hard for him to find work, I'd get a job easier and I'm doing a science course at the moment which, with a tiny baby, will be so heavy going, I'd need the year off. I'd be getting paid and gaining more experience, so management would be a really good option. He would be at home with the baby while I'm working and my parents live nearby, as it's the Ennis Dunnes I'd be going to.

I'd say it's hard leaving work behind, especially for a year, seems like things really got hard at the end there for you :( I think, like Murdy says, it's best for you to be out of the stress though, maybe you could find a hobby, like knitting, I love knitting, or even do a little bit baking, which tastes good and is so much fun :) Practice decorating cakes and stuff :) I hope you feel better and with a newborn the year will fly :) x

jenni its great to see your so upbeat, its good to have a plan, sometimes us women have to make them and the men must follow :D

Krankykitty you wont know yourself with rest and sleep, i recommend do nothing for a least a week :D

ive had a weekend of resting, it got so bad i couldnt walk, but im on the road to recovery.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sunshiner :) It feels great. I applied for a couple jobs there, for after the baby and fingers crossed I'll get one in August/ September :)

Resting definitely sounds great now :)

Advertisement