Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I reckon you're right not to do the exercise Murdy if you don't feel up to it esp with your BP.. You never know you might get this so called mythical second trimester rush of energy one of these days.

I was at the hospital today for physio. Looks like i have pelvic girdle pain. My wings have been totally clipped for the next while, there's to be a minimum of walking and standing for the time being, have a belt to wear while standing, not too much driving and i've to lie down for half an hour when I get in from work. I'm used to not being able to sit still so I'm feeling a bit unimpressed right now! Hopefully these measures will get it in check anyway.

You poor thing! but at least you know there is something wrong and have a plan. Is the belt thing really attractive?! I'm a bit limited due to the sickness so I'm lying/sitting most of the time and can't do much. It's not as bad as you think! My husband has become my slave! :D

Really hope the belt helps, it must be really painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I hate being looked after so it's a total culture shock, but you never know maybe I'll get used to it!

The belt isn't that bad looking, it's narrow enough just goes around the hips under the bump. At least it's navy so it's a bit easier to hide. It's not very stylish though! Would be fine under long cardis and the like. The pain is not constant during the day it's just in bed at night it really gets going. Hopefully I've caught it early enough that I won't be too bad later on.

I hate being looked after so it's a total culture shock, but you never know maybe I'll get used to it!

The belt isn't that bad looking, it's narrow enough just goes around the hips under the bump. At least it's navy so it's a bit easier to hide. It's not very stylish though! Would be fine under long cardis and the like. The pain is not constant during the day it's just in bed at night it really gets going. Hopefully I've caught it early enough that I won't be too bad later on.

Yeah, fingers crossed you've nipped it in the bud now and won't be in a bad way when you get bigger.

and I've my fingers crossed you get a good night's sleep tonight!

Thanks Murdy! How are you feeling today yourself? Have you found any food that appeals yet? I find even though my sickness is long past, my relationship with food has changed, it's no longer something I crave like beforehand...

Thanks Murdy! How are you feeling today yourself? Have you found any food that appeals yet? I find even though my sickness is long past, my relationship with food has changed, it's no longer something I crave like beforehand...

At the moment I'm eating a lot of avocado on toast - it's pretty easy to eat.

I had a good day today, I only threw up once and about half the day at the moment I'm not nauseous so compared to me last week I feel great :)

Definitely have a different relationship to food, I love chocolate but have no interest in it at the moment. I could never understand people who say they don't like it that much but now I do. My Dad came over the other day to be here for a delivery and he couldn't get over how much chocolate was in the house - none of it is getting eaten!

• Advertisement

You poor thing, though glad the nausea is not so bad today. The avocado on toast sounds good, full of the good fats and energy. Would a home made (or M&S made!) guacamole appeal?

I used to sit around thinking and looking forward to nice meals and eating, but now it's mostly just something I have to do! I was so looking forward to the sterotypical pregnant lady eating icecream by the carton thing, but it hasn't happened yet. There's still time though :D

I forgot to mention I'm reading a very interesting book at the moment called Bumpology which is basically loads of info on the stuff you always wonder about in pregnancy (and afterwards) and gives the scientific research in easy to read nuggets. Like for example, one study found that every time a foetus moves, even if the mother isn't aware of it, the mothers heart beats slightly faster and the fight or flight response is stimulated. I thought that was sort of nice, that even if you're not feeling the movements yourself, on some level you're tuned in

You poor thing, though glad the nausea is not so bad today. The avocado on toast sounds good, full of the good fats and energy. Would a home made (or M&S made!) guacamole appeal?

I used to sit around thinking and looking forward to nice meals and eating, but now it's mostly just something I have to do! I was so looking forward to the sterotypical pregnant lady eating icecream by the carton thing, but it hasn't happened yet. There's still time though :D

I forgot to mention I'm reading a very interesting book at the moment called Bumpology which is basically loads of info on the stuff you always wonder about in pregnancy (and afterwards) and gives the scientific research in easy to read nuggets. Like for example, one study found that every time a foetus moves, even if the mother isn't aware of it, the mothers heart beats slightly faster and the fight or flight response is stimulated. I thought that was sort of nice, that even if you're not feeling the movements yourself, on some level you're tuned in

I might make guacamole actually - I don't eat tomatoes though (they are the devil) so homemade would be the way to go. I could eat avocados all day :)

I know exactly what you mean about food, I love my grub usually but lately it's just fuel that I have to eat. Would love to get a huge appetite and go mad eating rings around myself :)

The book sounds really interesting, I actually read an article by the author of it on the BBC website recently and thought the book would be good. The article was about drinking in pregnancy and how they don't know the safe levels, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    You're all so good with your pilates, I feel bad! I just wouldn't be able for it at the moment though, still quite weak from being sick etc. It's probably not my thing anyway but I do feel bad that I can't do any exercise at all at the moment - still, keeping my food down is probably my priority - I'll worry about the other stuff later.

Docs appointment went well, did blood pressure, urine and listened to baby. Still have some ketones in my urine from not eating very much so have been told to keep up my fluids and keep on eating as much as I can. My blood pressure is a bit low too so I need to take it easy because I'm getting dizzy a lot. I'm broken! Doc checked the fundus and reckoned my estimated due date is right, that made me feel a bit better because the hospital were saying I was a week earlier than I thought and I don't think that's possible!

Also ladies, I popped into Penney's yesterday and they have a good selection of blouse/work tops starting from €7 - ones with loose flowy bottoms. I bought a couple in 2 sizes bigger than my normal size, wearing one today and it's great. Covers the expanding bump really well.

Hope everyone is well this morning x Hope you're not too tired today KK. I had a bad night's sleep last night so I think a sleep in the car at lunchtime will be in order today :D

Hi everyone.
    I was meant start Pilates last night but I twisted my neck at home and in agony past two days. Can not take any difene so it's really sore . But lot better today .
    I was flying apart from that.
    I am really seing my bump big now too and just dying feel proper movement all time now. One my friends had their baby and making me more excited although anxious bout how little time to prepare for it all.
    Going to a party weekend and wedding next month and nice clothes are definitely getting more awkward for occasions. I'm still young and don't want dress real old but also want classy for bump.

Hi Lynda18 - that's crap about your neck and bad timing with the Pilates.. I've heard before that on an injury do ice at the start, then heat after a day or so to help. You really miss the drugs in times like this!

What sort of dress would you like for the wedding? You might get away with some "normal" dresses depending on the cut and material. A girl at my Pilates (I think she was 28 weeks) had a gorgeous dress on that wasn't maternity, but it worked because it had an empire line cut. She also said she had some nice ones from Asos (maternity)

Hi Lynda18 - that's crap about your neck and bad timing with the Pilates.. I've heard before that on an injury do ice at the start, then heat after a day or so to help. You really miss the drugs in times like this!

What sort of dress would you like for the wedding? You might get away with some "normal" dresses depending on the cut and material. A girl at my Pilates (I think she was 28 weeks) had a gorgeous dress on that wasn't maternity, but it worked because it had an empire line cut. She also said she had some nice ones from Asos (maternity)
    Yes I'm going go shopping now when better and hav look. My chest is gone so big wit pregnancy that I don't no if will pull a normal over them and bump ;) have seen some nice on asos alright!! Thanks
    Is everyone settling back work ok?

• Advertisement

When I looked before Christmas asos had some really nice maternity dresses - fancy ones you could wear out. You might even get them on sale now! I looked in New Look in the Jervis Centre earlier this week, maternity section was tiny and the stuff wasn't great. It was just jeans and long tops. Glad i bought loads of maternity stuff when I was away over Christmas. I think that and a few bits and pieces in Penneys will be do me.

So glad it's Friday! Had a really good week though, hardly vomited at all and had loads of periods of no nausea. Fingers crossed this is it for me and the awfulness of the last 3 months is over!

Lynda, hope you're neck is not too bad. Funny how we all have our crosses to bear, isn't it? Pelvises and necks and puking and big twin bellies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Good to hear you are feeling better Murdy, fingers crossed it continues

kitten_k wrote: »
    Good to hear you are feeling better Murdy, fingers crossed it continues
    Yes murdy glad u are well. Must be awful so sick and tired whole time. Amazing how they take over body so much .

lynda18 wrote: »
    Yes murdy glad u are well. Must be awful so sick and tired whole time. Amazing how they take over body so much .

Yep, my husband was just saying last night that he always knew that having children was all on women but that he never really thought about how much it takes out of you, or what a big thing it is to grow a person and then feed that person! Think he has a lot more respect for women now, we do go through a lot :)

Fingers crossed things the sickness is on the way out as well, I've felt almost human this week compared to before!

That's great to hear Murdy, I really hope it's on the way out for you now. You had a long enough run of it...

To be honest, I don't think I understood myself how difficult it can be. I had this fantasy that I'd be running about the place going disco dancing and jogging and I just hadn't a clue!

I had a really bad night last night the pain was worst, not sure if it's just the stress of bad nights for so long now making it feel worse. The physio suggested trying to work from home one day a week which I was originally not keen about (seeing as I felt wing-clipped, I was not wanting to have to stay at home!) but now I'm thinking I might see if I can try it just to find out if it makes a difference. I MISS DRUGS!!!

Hope everyone is feeling good today...

That's great to hear Murdy, I really hope it's on the way out for you now. You had a long enough run of it...

To be honest, I don't think I understood myself how difficult it can be. I had this fantasy that I'd be running about the place going disco dancing and jogging and I just hadn't a clue!

I had a really bad night last night the pain was worst, not sure if it's just the stress of bad nights for so long now making it feel worse. The physio suggested trying to work from home one day a week which I was originally not keen about (seeing as I felt wing-clipped, I was not wanting to have to stay at home!) but now I'm thinking I might see if I can try it just to find out if it makes a difference. I MISS DRUGS!!!

Hope everyone is feeling good today...

I also didn't realise how hard it would be either. I knew I would be quite sick because all the women in my family have been but I didn't realise how debilitating it would be or how much it would take out of me. Still, all worth it in the end. I bought a few little baby things yesterday because I popped into Penneys on the way home and that always makes me feel excited!

I really hope the pain eases KK - if I had the option of working one day a week from home I would definitely take it - not possible with my job though! It is frustrating to not be able to do things like before but you need to look after yourself too. Maybe try it once or twice and see how it goes? I also miss drugs, nurofen plus is the business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Being pregnant is much harder than I thought it would be. I thought I'd have loads of energy and be able for most things right til the end. Initially I was so ill and now so tired... I find it hard not to be able to do what I used to. Tried hoovering last night and my back was in bits. So no more of that.

I miss drugs too...I take meds for year round hay fever/dust allergy and can't take them when pregnant so I'm sneezing all day and night and walking around like I have a permanent cold. I'm keeping tissue manufacturers in business!!

I started working Wednesdays from home this week and I highly recommend it if you can. I'm totally wrecked (have a long commute) but being at home 1 day this week really helped. It's hard having to concede but it's just temporary. We'll be flying round the place in a few months time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Delighted to hear you're feeling a bit better Murdy. Here's hoping it sticks!!!

Thanks all - had a good day again today, no vomiting and not much nausea. Ate an alright amount too.

Mu husband is doing a photo montage of me every few weeks to show my bump and how the pregnancy progresses etc. He has 4 photos spanning the last 17 weeks at the moment and when he showed me them side by side it really shocked me. You can really see the weight loss so clearly and it's made me realise that I look ten times better carrying less weight. The weight has come off my face a lot and I actually have cheekbones now! Makes me feel a bit better about being so sick and also makes me think that after the baby is born I could probably do with being a bit lower than my pre-pregnancy weight. That probably sounds really vain but seeing it so clearly in front of me made it so obvious

How's everyone this evening? Pelvises and necks ok? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

I will be going on a serious weight loss program after giving birth to my wee pixie :D put on weight b4 the pregnancy so i dread to think what ill look at 9months :(
    as for pregnancy yeah i dont know what i expected tbh. I thought i would get more support from people, which i havent. And its times like this i miss my mother who passed away 16 years ago. I guess wisdom and understanding is what i feel im lacking. If it wasnt for the book i got i think id be freaked out. Anyway Positive thoughts,life is what you make it.

• Advertisement

Ah Sunshiner, that must be very hard for you. I really appreciate having my mam around particularly as she was very ill a couple of years ago, and I can't imagine what it would be like going through all the worries of pregnancy without her. I hope you know that for what it's worth, we're all here for you if you want to chat or let off steam, on the thread or by PM..

I've heard (can't remember where, but it was in a book or something) that the six months after the birth are the easiest time your body will ever have for losing weight. Not sure how true it is, but it certainly comforted me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

sunshiner wrote: »
    I will be going on a serious weight loss program after giving birth to my wee pixie :D put on weight b4 the pregnancy so i dread to think what ill look at 9months :(
    as for pregnancy yeah i dont know what i expected tbh. I thought i would get more support from people, which i havent. And its times like this i miss my mother who passed away 16 years ago. I guess wisdom and understanding is what i feel im lacking. If it wasnt for the book i got i think id be freaked out. Anyway Positive thoughts,life is what you make it.

Aw sunshiner I feel the same as you. I have 3 siblings living abroad and I miss them big time. I haven't told any of my friends yet because I want to tell my Dad first. My Mum passed away in 2011 and I miss her so much. I know if she was here she'd provide all the emotional support and just her experience and advice that I need so much. To make matters worse, I wasn't with my partner long before I fell pregnant , the pregnancy was unplanned. My previous living arrangements weren't the greatest and neither were his so we decided to move in together. As my mother always said 'if you want to know me, come live with me' and it's true in this case. I'm starting to see the differences in our personalities big time and I don't think we'll be able to go the distance. He told me that if we break up, he doesn't want anything to do with the baby. So, I'll be left juggling bringing up the baby with my career and I'm from Donegal and my family are there but I live in Dublin where my job is so I won't have that support. However, I'm trying not to think too far ahead and will take it each step at a time.

Aw sunshiner I feel the same as you. I have 3 siblings living abroad and I miss them big time. I haven't told any of my friends yet because I want to tell my Dad first. My Mum passed away in 2011 and I miss her so much. I know if she was here she'd provide all the emotional support and just her experience and advice that I need so much. To make matters worse, I wasn't with my partner long before I fell pregnant , the pregnancy was unplanned. My previous living arrangements weren't the greatest and neither were his so we decided to move in together. As my mother always said 'if you want to know me, come live with me' and it's true in this case. I'm starting to see the differences in our personalities big time and I don't think we'll be able to go the distance. He told me that if we break up, he doesn't want anything to do with the baby. So, I'll be left juggling bringing up the baby with my career and I'm from Donegal and my family are there but I live in Dublin where my job is so I won't have that support. However, I'm trying not to think too far ahead and will take it each step at a time.

im so sorry to hear that icescreamqueen. I hope things work out for you, i sometimes think the universe is trying to tell us something and some things are a challenge but will work themselves out in unexpected ways. Thats what i believe. I would be an optimist mostly just have a few blue days with the hormones.I guess what got me kinda down was the motherinlaw is unsupportive and mean, which is hurtful.

Hope things work out for you icecreamsqueen - hopefully whether or not you stay together he will be involved in the baby's life and that's just talk at the moment. Babies change people and bring so much joy so it will all work out for the best, I'm sure!

Also, sorry to hear about your mum's as well ladies. it must be really difficult to be pregnant without them being here. Do you have any other older female relatives or a good mother-in-law to help out?

I've had a great weekend, sickness is nearly gone and I feel like a normal human being again. Met a friend for coffee yesterday and went to see Ed Sheeran in the O2 last night. Meeting a friend for lunch now - I had forgotten what is was like to feel normal, tbh. It's been so long :)

That's v tough for you icescreamqueen, I hope your partner bucks up and gives you a bit more support soon. I hope things start getting better for you, that's a lot of stress. As you say take it a day at a time. And Sunshiner hope your mum in law dials back the meanness too, you don't need that in your life right now. Is it possible to take a little "break" from her for a bit?

How was the gig Murdy, sounds brilliant to have a normal weekend...

Also, sorry to hear about your mum's as well ladies. it must be really difficult to be pregnant without them being here. Do you have any other older female relatives or a good mother-in-law to help out?

I've had a great weekend, sickness is nearly gone and I feel like a normal human being again. Met a friend for coffee yesterday and went to see Ed Sheeran in the O2 last night. Meeting a friend for lunch now - I had forgotten what is was like to feel normal, tbh. It's been so long :)

Im delighted for you murdy welcome to the proper 2nd trimester even if its very late :D

No i have no irish family that pretty much ended when my mother died. I have family in england who are lovely but theyre so very far away. Yeah ive decided to take a major step back from the MIL.

Thanks ladies for the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

That's fantastic Murdy - you won't know yourself, you've had an awful run of it.

My Mum is gone too and it really is times like these where you miss them the most. I think it's because there are so many things that I wish I'd asked her about my own birth, her pregnancy ect.. and I'd like the general support and sympathy and (sometimes unwanted!) advise that only your mother can give you.

Icecreamqueen, it must be very tough to have so much upheaval and uncertainty while your mother's death must be still very raw for you. It wasn't very nice of your partner to say that he'd have nothing to do with the baby if he's not with you. It' sounds like a threat to be honest. Look after yourself.

My only frustration at the moment is that I'm 17 weeks and still waiting for a proper bump - I just look chubby when I wake up in the morning and then I usually get bloated in the evenings and have a bump then which is gone by the morning again. I can't wait to look pregnant not fat!

You'll have a proper bump soon counchkitten and then it'll just get bigger and bigger! Weird that they come out more at night though, isn't it? I'm always bigger at night :)

Bit sick this morning, breakfast didn't stay down long and feeling very nauseated at work. I was awake a lot during the night, just kept waking up so I'm thinking it's related to being tired. I was always more sick when I overdid it and maybe my being normal weekend might have been too much for me :( Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse. I'm sipping fizze drinks here because last week that quelled the nausea and I'm holding out untl lunch time when I can lie down in the car! Would give anything to be off work and be able to go back to bed. Maybe I'll see how I go today and how busy I am and go home sick.

Hope everyone else is well and had a lovely weekend.

You'll have a proper bump soon counchkitten and then it'll just get bigger and bigger! Weird that they come out more at night though, isn't it? I'm always bigger at night :)

Bit sick this morning, breakfast didn't stay down long and feeling very nauseated at work. I was awake a lot during the night, just kept waking up so I'm thinking it's related to being tired. I was always more sick when I overdid it and maybe my being normal weekend might have been too much for me :( Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse. I'm sipping fizze drinks here because last week that quelled the nausea and I'm holding out untl lunch time when I can lie down in the car! Would give anything to be off work and be able to go back to bed. Maybe I'll see how I go today and how busy I am and go home sick.

Hope everyone else is well and had a lovely weekend.

Hope things work out for u ice queen ! Ye murdy go home if your unwell/ it's one time we hav look after selves and rest as needed. I am on way into my first parental class in rotunda . Did not wish to start so soon but took appointment I could get. Think just meet physio at it today. Yes bump definitely bigger in mornings. I lost 3ib this morning compared to last week,any other Monday morning I would of jumped of joy but my stomach turned. It's mad how u worry bout every thing. Be great when we feel them move properly all time and no they are ok.

• Advertisement

I hear you Couchkitten, I have barely anything during the day but I look huge at night. It is annoying as there's just a bit more thickness around the middle that just looks like a foodbaby!

Murdy, bummer on the sickness, I definitely think it can be related to tiredness so hope it's just a one off and you'll be back to better soon.

What's the story with the parent class Lynda, how many of them are there? I'm planning to go to one of the all day ones and get it over and done with. Let us know how it goes!

Had a bad old weekend with the hip/back, it wasn't very fun. Will be going back to the physio tomorrow so hopefully that will help.

Advertisement