Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Yeah i think i will try breastfeed for up to 3months thats my goal,but like you murdy if it doesnt work out etc ill try not to get too upset.

I knew ages ago my girls name before i was pregnant, but a boys name proved difficult. I think ive finally decided on names, Which are very hippy lol. I dont know if people want to post their ideas or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

sunshiner wrote: »
    Yeah i think i will try breastfeed for up to 3months thats my goal,but like you murdy if it doesnt work out etc ill try not to get too upset.

I knew ages ago my girls name before i was pregnant, but a boys name proved difficult. I think ive finally decided on names, Which are very hippy lol. I dont know if people want to post their ideas or not.[/Quote

I hav not decided on names at all. Might find out sex at scan although convinced its a boy !
    I was really not going breast feed but lately getting convinced. I'm goin try it but not put pressure on self either/ a girl in work had hers few weeks ago. She tried first few nights and was too hard and couldn't express enough so gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'd really love to breastfeed, going to go to a class on it before boys are born and will look for all support I can to try to keep it going. I've been given the name of a lactation consultant so will call on her if needs be. Would like to do it for 6 months but I have no idea if that's possible or not right now. Will have to see how it goes. Both I and my partner were breastfed so it'd be nice to be able to do it too.

Gosh I'm the oldie so :) just 35. Only recently felt ready to be a mummy.

Re names, we're picking one each. OH has his chosen but I'm still not fully sure on mine. But we're going to keep them a secret, it's the only secret we've been able to keep :rolleyes:

I saw that babymarket Sunshiner, going to definitely check it out, sounds great. Almost the weekend ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Do you mean keep them secret from each other or from everyone else? I think it is a great idea to name one each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Sure, we're all only young ones :)

What kind of books do you normally like? I downloaded loads of books for my kindle for while I was away for Christmas. Some of them were really good! I love biographies and that kind of thing though, although some were fiction too. Sometimes I find true life things easier to concentrate on as well.

So glad you're feeling a bit better anyway, time off to relax always does the world of good. :)

I normally like a wide variety of general fiction but I'm finding I can't concentrate on stuff any more so looking for something easy to read (but still good, if you know what I mean). The last book I enjoyed was "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes which was a good mix of easy reading yet thought provoking/touching...
    So have people decided on breastfeeding or bottle? or is it a bit too soon.

And how are people fairing with choosing baby names?

Not sure on the old breastfeeding thing at the moment. I know people may think I'm terrible, but I have a feeling I might be wanting to get my body back to "normal" by the end of it. I found it a bit of a mental leap to get my head around the idea of pregnancy in the first place! Having said that, I'll wait till nearer the time to decide. I could of course change my whole view by then...

About names, we haven't really thought hard but have had a couple of ideas. I'm sure we'll ramp up the name picking next Tuesday if Baby will oblige with a view of his/her bits!

I think we'll keep the names to ourselves until after, mostly because the name we pick beforehand mightn't seem right when we meet the baby. Plus, its harder for people to say they hate it once it's been given to a baby :D

• Advertisement

Just a secret from everyone else. As you say, everyone has an opinion on names so I don't want to be put off a name so once they've been given them, thats it, no-one can really comment. But we'll know them ourselves, we'll just pick one each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I know what you mean about other people. My friend has her names picked (she doesn't know what she is having), her brother isn't keen on the girls name and keeps saying so instead of just realising that it is her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

I'm 31...I think I read the other day that's bang on the average of for your first child now.

Very impressed by the cloth nappies decisions girls, I hate the thought of using disposable but I have difficulties staying on top of the laundry as it is. I'm just not a good enough housekeeper!

I'm definitely planning on breastfeeding. Most people I know have tried to breastfeed and it hasn't worked out for a fair few of them, so I be keen to be prepared. Blueskye -Where are you doing the preparation class?

I haven't done any shopping yet, but I'm still just 17 weeks, maybe when I get to 20.

I'm 31...I think I read the other day that's bang on the average of for your first child now.

Very impressed by the cloth nappies decisions girls, I hate the thought of using disposable but I have difficulties staying on top of the laundry as it is. I'm just not a good enough housekeeper!

I'm definitely planning on breastfeeding. Most people I know have tried to breastfeed and it hasn't worked out for a fair few of them, so I be keen to be prepared. Blueskye -Where are you doing the preparation class?

I haven't done any shopping yet, but I'm still just 17 weeks, maybe when I get to 20.

www.breastfeedingconsultant.ie a midwife runs classes so I'm going to go to one of those to be prepared. And there's a midwife a friend recommended who'll come to the house and offer help if needed, so I think that'll be well worth it if I need idt. There's no la leche league or cuidiu near me unfortunately as they're free. They're definitely worth checking out before birth. I think lots of women give up breastfeeding due to the lack of support after birth. But if you get the right help I think things tend to work out. I'm quite determined, well for now anyway. 2 crying hungry babies and sleep deprivation could change my resolve ;)

There's a breastfeeding thread on here too which is great and groups on fb so you can ask for help if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Holles Street do free preparing for breastfeeding clinics certain days of the month so I'm going to go to one of those. Was talking to my aunt last night and she only managed 6 weeks on one baby and 3 on the other so I'm preparing myself for how difficult it will be! Great that there's courses around the place you can get help.

We've only told the names to close friends and family and so far, they seem to be met with approval. Think people were worried we'd pick names that were a bit out there but the two names we've picked are common enough. If it's a girl we'll name it after my husband's sister, who died when she was 6. We've chosen an Irish name that sounds quite like her name as a way to combine both cultures (husband is Indian - everyone very interested in what colour our baby will be, I'm as pale as pale can be!!)

So glad it's Friday, although my trip away is looking a bit dodgy given the snow in the UK. Don't mind getting stuck there and missing work on Monday, just don't want to get stuck here! Going to have a mad busy day at work, lots of running around. Luckily, my energy levels are still pretty good and I'm feeling ok :)

How's everyone else? What a miserable day out there, right?

• Advertisement

nice sunny day out in the sticks in cork. my names arent as crazy as Apple or harper 9 thankfully,but different none the less. Oh murdy there are some beautiful indian names out there had a few indian girls in my class years back i was thought their names were exotic :D they were called indira and sereta very pretty.

krankykitty - The island by victoria hislop is very good.

there are breastfeeding groups in the town near me so ill check them out.

Hi ladies - how was everyone's weekend? Mine was lovely but there was a lot of uncertainty getting in and out of Heathrow and lots of waiting around. I'm exhausted today - took me almost 2 hours to get to work this morning.

My belly is really sore today, it's not cramps, just sharp pains under my bump every so often, especially when I make quick movements. Not sure what is going on :confused: Hubby says to leave work if I need to and not worry about them so I guess I'll see how I go. It's a bit uncomfortable anyway :(

KK - I'll put up a post later with all the books I've read recently. I've been reading a lot lately and hubby downloads bundles for my e-reader (mainly lists of NY Times bestsellers etc). I'll dig it out of me bag and compile a list :)

Hi ladies - how was everyone's weekend? Mine was lovely but there was a lot of uncertainty getting in and out of Heathrow and lots of waiting around. I'm exhausted today - took me almost 2 hours to get to work this morning.

My belly is really sore today, it's not cramps, just sharp pains under my bump every so often, especially when I make quick movements. Not sure what is going on :confused: Hubby says to leave work if I need to and not worry about them so I guess I'll see how I go. It's a bit uncomfortable anyway :(

KK - I'll put up a post later with all the books I've read recently. I've been reading a lot lately and hubby downloads bundles for my e-reader (mainly lists of NY Times bestsellers etc). I'll dig it out of me bag and compile a list :)

Hi I hav had very similar pains all weekend even when I was moving in bed I was getting them or yesterday when bent down quick to tie show lace . I was feeling movement past week but not yest or today and was also worried about it. Pain is more less gone today though. But i at one stage wanted go hospital to checks too.
    Glad u had a lovely weekend. It's so miserable and slippy here I'm terrified falling .

Glad your birthday weekend was good Murdy.

I used to get those pains when moving a lot, feels almost like pulling a muscle. Quite sore. I think it's just everything stretching? Still get them from time to time now..

Still off work until Wednesday, glad I don't have to brave the weather. Hope you are all safe on the slippy surfaces...

Have the 22 week scan tomorrow so looking forward to that.

lynda18 wrote: »
    Hi I hav had very similar pains all weekend even when I was moving in bed I was getting them or yesterday when bent down quick to tie show lace . I was feeling movement past week but not yest or today and was also worried about it. Pain is more less gone today though. But i at one stage wanted go hospital to checks too.
    Glad u had a lovely weekend. It's so miserable and slippy here I'm terrified falling .

I'm wondering if it's bowel related - like I'm a bit blocked up or someting and bump is squishing everything? (sorry for tmi!). Going to start taking the Fibogel now anyway, I had to stop when I was pukey but I think it will be ok now.

KK (and anyone else who is interested) here are some books I've read recently/other recommendations, most of them are from the NY Times recent Bestseller List. As a warning, I have very broad taste in books and will read almost anything so if you're more particular they may not be for you!

Fiction

The Help - read the book before I saw the film and really enjoyed it

The Book Thief - highly recommend this. It's on the Junior Cert syllabus but it's not that childish. It's a beautiful read

Catch Me - Lisa Gardner - a murder thriller type book. I enjoyed it as it wasn't as predictable as most of them are

The Stranger House - Reginald Hall. Kind of a mystery set in England, was a bit slower reading this one but enjoyed it in the end.

Extremely Loud and Uncomfortable Close - Jonathan Foer - about a boy whose father was killed in 9/11. He finds a key in his belongings and sets out to find out where it goes. Has also been turned into a film

Have you read the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy? I was so sceptible before I read them but I loved them.

Trashy/Romance Books (if you want a bit of sex and exotic locations!). I read these on holidays when I was ill, very easy to read and a guilty pleasure!

- Kiss Heaven Goodbye - Tasmina Perry
    - Private Life - Tasmina Perry
    - I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella
    - The Next Always and The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts - part of a series

Non-Fiction

Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman - this is an autobiography about a girl who grew up as an Orthodox Jew in New York but left the religion. Really interesting

Fairy Tale Interupted by Rosemarie Terenzio - this is a book written by a girl who worked as JFK Jr's PA in New York. She was working for him when he was killed and a really interesting insight into his life.

Argo - an autobiography by the guy Ben Affleck played in the film, really enjoyed this!

Bossypants by Tina Fey - her autobiography but it's not written like a normal autobiography (the story is not linear), it's just snippets of stories and is pretty funny

The Vow by Kim Carpenter - this is the story that the film with Rachel McAdams is based on. Again, really interesting story and very different to the film but the real couple were intensely religious which annoyed me sometimes in it!

The book I'm reading at the moment is called the Immortal Line of Henrietta Lacks. You may have heard of the HeLa line of cells. Henrietta Lacks was a black woman who died of cervical cancer in the 50s. They took a sample from her and it became the first immortal cell line - her cells have been reproduced all over the world and have helped find cures for loads of diseases. The book is about her and her family and I'm really enjoying it so far

Phew, that's a bit of a long post. As you can tell I'm looking to procrastinate today!

Glad your birthday weekend was good Murdy.

I used to get those pains when moving a lot, feels almost like pulling a muscle. Quite sore. I think it's just everything stretching? Still get them from time to time now..

Still off work until Wednesday, glad I don't have to brave the weather. Hope you are all safe on the slippy surfaces...

Have the 22 week scan tomorrow so looking forward to that.

Yes I think I am same with like stretching pain. Oh best luck to scan. Mine is in two weeks. Say ur so excited . Let us no what like!

Thanks Lynda, will let you know what it is like..

Murdy thank you so much for the books review!! I read the Help and loved it, also I really enjoyed the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, like yourself I almost didn't bother with them. I saw Argo and Extremely Loud films, I'd say the books are better.. I also read that Henrietta Lacks book, it was really interesting, put a human face on the sciency bit. Will have to keep my eye out for your recommendations. Love Tina Fey so I'm sure Bossypants will be a winner.

Glad to have helped, if you're off work you definitely need some new reading material :)

Bump is less sore than earlier, thank god. I really got a fright when I woke up this morning and tried to get out of the bed, was quite painful. I suppose it's bound to happen as I get bigger.

I also can't wait to hear about your scan KK! Lynda, is yours this day two weeks (the 4th)? Mine is around midday sometime. What hosp are you in, maybe we'll be one after each other :)

Glad to have helped, if you're off work you definitely need some new reading material :)

Bump is less sore than earlier, thank god. I really got a fright when I woke up this morning and tried to get out of the bed, was quite painful. I suppose it's bound to happen as I get bigger.

I also can't wait to hear about your scan KK! Lynda, is yours this day two weeks (the 4th)? Mine is around midday sometime. What hosp are you in, maybe we'll be one after each other :)

Mine is in rotunda about 2! I am going public . That's good. Every pain and change is frightening until u know what it is or it goes ;) I say after out pains we will stretch out bigger now quiet soon !!

Mine is in rotunda about 2! I am going public . That's good. Every pain and change is frightening until u know what it is or it goes ;) I say after out pains we will stretch out bigger now quiet soon !!

Aww, I'm in Holles Stret. Still, we can both post about our scans around the same time with our news! Fingers crossed baby MurdyWurdy doesn't have his/her legs crossed and we can find out the sex!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Everyone!!! A very happy DoubleB writing to you all this evening. We had our scan today. I'm almost 20 weeks. We found out the sex... not going to reveal on here in case any friends or family are snooping and figure out my identity as I've said to many I come on here but we are soooooooooooooo thrilled. More importantly baby is looking healthy and growing well. We are just so delighted. I have all the measuremements which I'm trying to make sense of.Does anyone have your measurements so we can compare??? x

Hey all!

Congrats Double B, glad your scan went well!! I had mine today (21+5) and all baby's bits are present and correct! It was such a relief. I have the measurements here but it mightn't be worth checking against mine seeing as I'm a couple of weeks ahead? But I can copy them for you if you think it would be of use. I'm the same I google all the stuff in the notes.

The scan took a good while and the sonographer was pointing out when she saw/measured the different items, kidneys, brain etc. It was a bit nerve wracking at one point because she was trying to measure something about the heart but the baby kept moving so it took her ages (which of course we worried was because there was something wrong). She got me to sit up, go on my side etc and eventually got what she was looking for. So my advice to anyone would be not to worry if they are taking ages over something, it's more than likely that they are just having trouble measuring etc.

It was good to know what way around the baby is too, I was feeling movements down low (which is more than likely feet now, seeing as baby is breech!). It helps you visualise it a bit I guess.

that sounds so exciting double b. the scan sounds amazing kranky kitty.

I started feeling the baby moving the last couple of days im delighted :D

I started feeling the baby moving the last couple of days im delighted :D[/Quot

I am delighted for u both wit scans say was huge relief. Did they change your due dates at it? Are u feeling baby all time sun shiner? I felt nothing yest and today and now worried!

Yay re the scans :-) Ours took ages too, she was trying to get a view of a femur I think and the lips but baby wasn't co-operating.

We didn't get the measurements but I'm at doc again Fri so must ask her. All I know is one baby was 9oz and one was 10oz. I was 18 or 19 weeks then I think.

I started feeling babies fluttering about a week now, so cool :-)

Are u feeling baby all time sunshiner? I felt nothing yest and today and now worried!
    I started feeling it this week.it happens mainly when im sitting. I feel pokes or like a pop feeling, a few flutters.

Doesnt happen all day, it varies.

I am delighted for u both wit scans say was huge relief. Did they change your due dates at it? Are u feeling baby all time sun shiner? I felt nothing yest and today and now worried!

I wouldn't worry Lynda, it's early for you to be feeling them consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

I read somewhere that you don't need to start counting the ten kicks till you're about 26 weeks but i wouldn't worry some days i don't feel anything myself, The midwife had the doppler on me the other day and she said there was plenty of movement yet i couldn't feel a thing!

I'm still awaiting this bump at the moment i just look fat :-(

Only 7 more days till my scan.....so excited :-D

How is everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Delighted that the 20 week scans went well for you. It must be such a relief. Mine isn't for another 3 weeks.

I started feeling flutters just two days ago, it is so exciting to start feeling those first movements.

• Advertisement

So glad the scans went well - it's all so exciting! Wouldn't worry about not feeling the movement consistently yet. Some days I feel nothing, other days loads. I think it depends where the baby is. I'm so glad everything is ok with the babies. :)

I'm at home sick today. I'm really struggling working full-time at the moment. I have a long commute and the last few days at work my boss has me running around a lot fetching and carrying. I'm not a particularly energetic person anyway but I'm so exhausted all the time. tbh I don't think I fully recovered from being so sick and weak for so long. I'm miserable and I'm getting awful pains under my bump so decided to take a day to sleep etc. Thinking about leaving work earlier now (I''m not permanent, contract is due to end when I'm 38 weeks). Unfortunately, it's not the kind of job that you can do part-time or from home so flexible working is not an option.

My husband is supportive and doesn't want me to be uncomfortable but I just don't know what to do. I've spoken to a girl I used to temp for to see about doing an odd day for her here or there or short term assignments to keep me going. We're lucky in that financially, if I'm not at work we will manage but my salary will be really helpful for baby savings etc. I just don't know what to do :(

Advertisement