Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Sorry to hear about the back pain kk, how is the mattress on your bed? Is it firm enough? I read somewhere you should put a piece of board underneath the mattress to improve support when pregnant? But can't remember where I read that. Otherwise heat packs or a physio visit might help?

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since we found out but I'm really really missing a glass of wine with meals. I've worked a lot with kids with intellectual disabilities and attended conferences with some very well researched people in the area of foetal alcohol effects so I'm reluctant to have any alcohol as they really don't know what is a safe limit but I know lots of women have the odd drink with no difficulty. I think it's a very personal decision.

I've started buying bits and pieces but we hope to get a few things from friends, i.e. cot, not sure what else yet. I've been trying to research double buggies but it's a minefield. Going to go have a look at some later this week to get an idea. I know I'm going to be wrecked later on in the pregnancy so I'm going to try to get as much done earlier on as possible. Trying to persuade/encourage OH to paint the nursery this week....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

The lack of a glass of wine with "special meals" was throwing me over the edge. Now the last three special meals I've had I've measured exactly half a unit's worth of wine into a glass and top it up with some water or even that Shloer or Ame. Nobody will persuade me that half a unit taken with food can do any harm and i feel deprived as long as I have a taste of wine with dinner.

Alcohol passes directly through the placenta and the baby drinks what you drink so that's why they often advise no alcohol - although my GP thought up to one unit a week was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Hi ladies - hope you had a lovely Christmas. I got back from my trip yesterday, had a lovely time but unfortunately am still ill so the puking put a bit of a dampener on things (one day I had to puke in the snow and then bury it like a cat!!( Still, I am having good days now as well as bad ones so it is improving. Trust me to be still puking at 16 weeks! Everyone PROMISED me at 13/14 weeks it would end :)

Bought some baby things in the sales (just one or two things) and was thrilled that a shop in Austria had the Mamalicious range of maternity wear, some of which was on sale. Bought 2 pairs of jeans, black trousers and 6 tops for 200eur. I know the maternity stuff in Ireland isn't great (or so Ive been told) so I'm so pleased with what I got. My non maternity jeans no longer fit! I'm all set now, will just need to maybe get some maternity tights/leggings towards the end.

Also, looked at some baby things today, we were out and about and came across a Mothercare so popped in. The travel systems are so confusing but when the time comes we'll go to Tony Kiely because I've been told they're so helpful there.

Anyway, hope you are all well. Kk - the back ache is kicking in for me too. I think it's our bed, I've just been using hot water bottles and having lots of baths :) Also, on the booze front, I think it's completely up to you, and I don't think a small glass every now and then is too bad. Because I'm still pukey alcohol has no attraction for me but I wouldn't rule it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Hi ladies - hope you had a lovely Christmas. I got back from my trip yesterday, had a lovely time but unfortunately am still ill so the puking put a bit of a dampener on things (one day I had to puke in the snow and then bury it like a cat!!( Still, I am having good days now as well as bad ones so it is improving. Trust me to be still puking at 16 weeks! Everyone PROMISED me at 13/14 weeks it would end :)

Bought some baby things in the sales (just one or two things) and was thrilled that a shop in Austria had the Mamalicious range of maternity wear, some of which was on sale. Bought 2 pairs of jeans, black trousers and 6 tops for 200eur. I know the maternity stuff in Ireland isn't great (or so Ive been told) so I'm so pleased with what I got. My non maternity jeans no longer fit! I'm all set now, will just need to maybe get some maternity tights/leggings towards the end.

Also, looked at some baby things today, we were out and about and came across a Mothercare so popped in. The travel systems are so confusing but when the time comes we'll go to Tony Kiely because I've been told they're so helpful there.

Anyway, hope you are all well. Kk - the back ache is kicking in for me too. I think it's our bed, I've just been using hot water bottles and having lots of baths :) Also, on the booze front, I think it's completely up to you, and I don't think a small glass every now and then is too bad. Because I'm still pukey alcohol has no attraction for me but I wouldn't rule it out!

Glad u all had nice Christmas. I defo enjoying the lie ons. 17 weeks now and bump really forming now ! So exciting !! That was great deal wit maternity wear!! I have back pains too! Imagine when bump gets bigger!!! My chest is also very tender and heavy!!!
    Think I am feeling little flutters is anyone else??

Glad u all had nice Christmas. I defo enjoying the lie ons. 17 weeks now and bump really forming now ! So exciting !! That was great deal wit maternity wear!! I have back pains too! Imagine when bump gets bigger!!! My chest is also very tender and heavy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

lynda18 wrote: »

I have defo felt little flutters especially after I sneeze, It's funny when it's happening I feel like I need everything to be quite so I can concentrate lol!

I think it's amazing how quick the time has gone, Im 17 weeks on Monday and it only seems like yesterday I was 6 weeks and wishing to be 12, I hope it continues to go quickly!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas x

I was thinking things are moving along a bit quicker than they were as well, sure my anomaly scan is in 4 weeks and we'll be able to find out the sex. 4 weeks is nothing!

Today I've felt a few flutterings but I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking on my part - my bump is stretching though. I can feel that!

I bought one little fleecy outfit for the baby while I was away. I couldn't resist it - I've found a lot of the stuff here is either blue or pink but where I was shopping had a lot of unisex stuff. I can't stop looking at it - I just can't imagine that there will be a little person here to fill it soon. It seems so surreal :)

No flutters here yet...not that I've noticed anyway! I'm 18 weeks tomorrow. Can't wait for that.

Been buying a few bits in the sales and have ordered a few things online. Nursery is almost finished painting. Yay! So we're getting organised. Just aware how tired I was before Christmas so want to get as much done as I can before I'm back at work and even more tired!!! It's definitely feeling more real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

No flutters here yet im 16 weeks. I've been busy looking up travel systems and got one and a moses basket. I also have been offered lots of baby stuff new or barely used that will save me a fortune from an unexpected source. So im over the moon. I have to get mr.sunshiners computers and stuff out of the to be babys room im dreading it as its a proper man cave :P

I feel huge,my boobs have nearly outgrown the new bras and my belly is definitely big!

sunshiner wrote: »
    No flutters here yet im 16 weeks. I've been busy looking up travel systems and got one and a moses basket. I also have been offered lots of baby stuff new or barely used that will save me a fortune from an unexpected source. So im over the moon. I have to get mr.sunshiners computers and stuff out of the to be babys room im dreading it as its a proper man cave :P

I feel huge,my boobs have nearly outgrown the new bras and my belly is definitely big!

We were looking up travel systems aswell and came across a site that is based in Leitrim and it's super cheap so I am waiting on them to get back to me, Im a tad bit paranoid with starting to buy stuff so early but I feel the deals out there at the moment are too good to pass up!

Girls I am in bits with constipation (sorry tmi), it doesn't help with all the junk i have ate over the festive period, Can't wait to get back to normal on Wednesday!

Im supposed to make my first doctors appointment at 17 weeks which i am today.....anybody got any idea what they do at this 1st visit? Feels strange going to the doctor when there is nothing wrong with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

I feel your pain on the constipation front. I was so bad last week that I bled lots. Gave myself an awful fright as I wasn't totally sure where blood was coming from at first but I was so sore there afterwards that I figured out it was a bleeding pile (lovely!!) Still quite sore in that region when I need to go. I've been on the kiwis and prune juice but apart from that my diet has been terrible. I've been making a point of eating a bowl of high fibre cereal every morning thou. Hope you get better soon. Its all about diet and exercise isn't it?!

On another note, I have made my plans in my head for the nursery. I know what I need to buy, colours, theme etc. It was so exciting figuring it all out. Going to do a little every now and then on it and try have it ready for start of May so that I can begin stocking it then with nappies, wipes, clothes etc also in case I go early and in case I'm huuuuuge by then because at this rate it looks as thou I'm going to be massive!

I'm going to pick travel system and begin paying that off this week and buy cot, monitors, soft furnishings, etc bit by bit over the coming months. It's so exciting isn't it? I've decided to go with the 'uppababy vista travel system'. Any thoughts on tis. Also I think I'm going with a cream baby elegance cot. Cream cots are hard to get BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dimpey

Wishing you all the very best for 2013 and remembering my first pregnancy in 1978 have two great sons and 2 lovely daughter-in-laws - maybe I will become a grandmother in 2013 here's hoping but best wishes to you all and I will be thinking of you in June 2013.......

I find psyllium husks help with the constipation...I had it very bad in the first trimester, doesn't seem to be as bad now but OB say it'll probably get bad again in third trimester :rolleyes: Lots of water too! I've been a bit of a disaster re. fruit and veg over the hols but going to get better as of tomorrow :p

I've been stopping random couples with twins and asking them about their travel systems! They've all been really helpful so far so I've it narrowed down to two types. Going to see a second hand one at the weekend. They're really expensive full price.

Sorry no idea Lainycool. I'm not seeing my GP anymore. Maybe more bloods, blood pressure check, urine?

That's great re. the loan of stuff sunshiner. We've been offered some stuff but not sure exactly what yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

dimpey wrote: »
    Wishing you all the very best for 2013 and remembering my first pregnancy in 1978 have two great sons and 2 lovely daughter-in-laws - maybe I will become a grandmother in 2013 here's hoping but best wishes to you all and I will be thinking of you in June 2013.......

Thank you Dimpey, best wishes to you and your family too :)

For constipation I would recommend prune juice, it is rotten though. I took two small glasses with an orange juice between and that helped very quickly!

Try Fibogel for constipation - my doc recommended it. I also take psyllium husks. They're all safe to take during pregnancy as they are not absorbed in the gut, they just push things through!

I have my first doc's appointment next week (also at 17 weeks) - I've been told they check your wee wee, weigh you and check blood pressure mainly. I don't imagine I'll be in there for long anyway!

Fairly sure I felt the baby earlier, it was like a little pop on my left side. My what to expect when you're expecting app said it would feel like fluttering or popcorn, and popping popcorn is exactly what is felt like!! :) Even if it was wind I'm going to keep thinking it was the baby because it makes all this sickness (still puking everywhere) feel worth it!

Here's to a happy 2013 for us all ladies :D

Try Fibogel for constipation - my doc recommended it. I also take psyllium husks. They're all safe to take during pregnancy as they are not absorbed in the gut, they just push things through!

I have my first doc's appointment next week (also at 17 weeks) - I've been told they check your wee wee, weigh you and check blood pressure mainly. I don't imagine I'll be in there for long anyway!

Fairly sure I felt the baby earlier, it was like a little pop on my left side. My what to expect when you're expecting app said it would feel like fluttering or popcorn, and popping popcorn is exactly what is felt like!! :) Even if it was wind I'm going to keep thinking it was the baby because it makes all this sickness (still puking everywhere) feel worth it!

Here's to a happy 2013 for us all ladies :D

Thanks girls for the suggestions, I actually.have psyllium husks in my press it's just working up the courage to take it ha!
    Im not as bad the last 2 days thank goodness I was a good girl and increased my fruit and water intake!

We were at a NYE party last night and the amount of flutters I had was unreal, For the whole night and then nothing today!

I was a little freaked out at first it's just weird to think there is a little person inside.of you doing this and then it got me thinking it will be so nice when we are further along in our pregnancies and feeling baby kick on a daily basis, I'm sure it's such piece of mind feeling them kick away.

Is your tablets not helping at all Murdy?
    Did you have a nice time away?
    Happy New Year all x

No, drugs aren't really helping and I have a bad cold at the moment as well - feeling very sorry for myself. I hate that I've been so ill, I feel a bit weak, tbh compared to women who sail through pregnancy - like there's something wrong with me :(

My friend's sis had a baby and my friend has told me a number of times how easy a pregnancy she had. I found out last night from someone else that that's not true, that her sister was actually very ill. I feel a bit weird being lied to and also why do that? Why make me feel worse about being so ill by telling me other people hadn't a bother on them, especially if it's not true? Why lie about that - is it because it's shameful to have a difficult pregnancy? I dunno, just feel a bit weird about it.

Still, hopefully things will look up soon! Also, it could be a lot worse, I do have the odd day when I'm not sick at all.

Hopefully it starts getting better Murdy. You do sometimes hear of the sickness lasting till about 18 weeks and then dying off, so hopefully the end is in sight..

I don't know why people feel the need to lie about the realities of pregnancy either, it doesn't really do anyone any favours. Is it like where people say they don't care if they are seriously injured in childbirth once they have a baby, almost like once they become pregnant they're an incubator and their comfort or health don't matter any more? (sorry I could be just a bit hormonal here!) Murdy, feel free to let off steam here about the sh1t time you're having as I'm sure I and many others will be joining you! I have literally a pain in my ass with the back and hip pain at the mo...

Lainycool - v jealous about the flutters! Haven't had any movement at all yet at 19 wks. (which I would expect based on what they told me about placenta), but I feel a bit cheated lol. As you say it's almost like a bit of communication that there's something in there!

Hows all the bumps doing.. I seem to only have one at night.

Hopefully it starts getting better Murdy. You do sometimes hear of the sickness lasting till about 18 weeks and then dying off, so hopefully the end is in sight..

I don't know why people feel the need to lie about the realities of pregnancy either, it doesn't really do anyone any favours. Is it like where people say they don't care if they are seriously injured in childbirth once they have a baby, almost like once they become pregnant they're an incubator and their comfort or health don't matter any more? (sorry I could be just a bit hormonal here!) Murdy, feel free to let off steam here about the sh1t time you're having as I'm sure I and many others will be joining you! I have literally a pain in my ass with the back and hip pain at the mo...

Lainycool - v jealous about the flutters! Haven't had any movement at all yet at 19 wks. (which I would expect based on what they told me about placenta), but I feel a bit cheated lol. As you say it's almost like a bit of communication that there's something in there!

Hows all the bumps doing.. I seem to only have one at night.

I definitely think that people think pregnancy is this fairytale and that you sail through the 9 months when in reality it's all aches, pains, sickness ,constipation, discharge and im sure the list could go on!

I really hate the ligament pain I get in my belly.....it feels so much like period pain but it might only last 5 minutes but still not nice.

When is it expected you will feel flutters krankykitty?

Back in work tomorrow :-(

• Advertisement

I so agree girls...being pregnant can cause so many negative symptoms.

I feel like an old lady with all the aches and pains. Fell asleep on the couch earlier so OH sent me to bed. Get up here and can't sleep with the heartburn, stuffed up nose, and general uncomfortableness. Oh the joy.

lainycool wrote: »

I definitely think that people think pregnancy is this fairytale and that you sail through the 9 months when in reality it's all aches, pains, sickness ,constipation, discharge and im sure the list could go on!

I really hate the ligament pain I get in my belly.....it feels so much like period pain but it might only last 5 minutes but still not nice.

When is it expected you will feel flutters krankykitty?

Back in work tomorrow :-(

They say not till about 23/24 weeks...still seems ages away!

I get that pain too its quite sore. I start worrying a bit as its hard to know what's normal...

Hope you have a quiet day in work tomorrow :)

the aches and pains are weird. At the moment one of my boobs is really painful
    :( my back is somewhat aching at night. Roll on the yoga hopefully it will help.

sunshiner wrote: »
    the aches and pains are weird. At the moment one of my boobs is really painful
    :( my back is somewhat aching at night. Roll on the yoga hopefully it will help.
    I was worrying I was only one wit back pain imagine how worse when it gets bigger! I am n agreement it is hard esp some days and its all very worrying! Having looks at prams And all looks very complicated ;) it will be a very expensive year but so worth it

Yep, expensive year for all of us methinks!

After a bad few days I have to go back in to the hospital to do on a drip again, was down with my GP this afternoon so going in in the morning. Pregnancy is definitely not a fairy tale!

After a bad few days I have to go back in to the hospital to do on a drip again, was down with my GP this afternoon so going in in the morning. Pregnancy is definitely not a fairy tale!

Oh what a pain MurdyWurdy. Definitely no fairytale!! Hope you get some improvement soon.

I'm back in work tomorrow and dreading it...can't see me being able to manage the long commute for too long. One day at a time eh :)

oh dear :( well i guess at least your gp is on the case, i hope you feel better soon :D

Get better soon murdy, not a fairytale is right.

Back in work tomorrow just tried on work clothes, oh I guess the game is up if I don't have the usual morning bump shrinkage!

Hope drip makes u well soon. Terrible ur still sick.
    Yes hard to settle back work and routine !but work will prob make the pregnancy go quicker at same time!

• Advertisement

Wrecked. First day back at work. Lots of back pain and heartburn. Could literally sleep at my desk...roll on the weekend :)

Are they keeping you in tonight Murdy?

Advertisement