Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's not a lot of sport on at the moment and there's loads of politics. There's even a good amount of cross over between the two so I think it's natural for them to be a bit political at the moment.

I found the John Mitchell bit from the other night pretty interesting I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I see the English Rugby Union are coming under pressure to forbid the singing of Swing Low Sweet Chariot at Twickenham, due to its connotations of slavery. This may or may not end up on Off the Ball but I’m guessing it will because it’s the type of story they relish. If they do pick it up, I really do see it as the “woke acid test”. A sign to see if they have been completely, utterly consumed by the PC monster. Obviously the George Floyd story is not a sports one but is such a serious issue, it was always likely to be reported on by OTB in some context. This story however is so incredibly ludicrous it will be a suitable bar to determine the pandering factor. Please someone let me know if it comes on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I see the English Rugby Union are coming under pressure to forbid the singing of Swing Low Sweet Chariot at Twickenham, due to its connotations of slavery. This may or may not end up on Off the Ball but I’m guessing it will because it’s the type of story they relish. If they do pick it up, I really do see it as the “woke acid test”. A sign to see if they have been completely, utterly consumed by the PC monster. Obviously the George Floyd story is not a sports one but is such a serious issue, it was always likely to be reported on by OTB in some context. This story however is so incredibly ludicrous it will be a suitable bar to determine the pandering factor. Please someone let me know if it comes on air.

When will it be suggested that God Save the Queen will have to removed as the national anthem and it's singing banned considering the dodginess of the British Royal Family over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

When will it be suggested that God Save the Queen will have to removed as the national anthem

And Amhrán Na BhFiann will probably be next. There are some people in this country who won't be happy until we label everything that is traditionally Irish as racist.

And Amhrán Na BhFiann will probably be next. There are some people in this country who won't be happy until we label everything that is traditionally Irish as racist.

No doubt some empty-headed tyrant will take issue with its combative lyrics and ask that we roll over in submission. Having said that it’s all BLM right now so unless they can link it to slavery in some way, it’s probably safe for now. No doubt there’ll be somebody somewhere scanning it for controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

No doubt some empty-headed tyrant will take issue with its combative lyrics and ask that we roll over in submission. Having said that it’s all BLM right now so unless they can link it to slavery in some way, it’s probably safe for now. No doubt there’ll be somebody somewhere scanning it for controversy.
    My money's on Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Hmmm....I wonder if that's really Ger Gilroy and Richie McCormack thanking those posts. If it is, it would suggest they are not taking your posts too seriously lads.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Hmmm....I wonder if that's really Ger Gilroy and Richie McCormack thanking those posts. If it is, it would suggest they are not taking your posts too seriously lads.

Firstly I doubt they frequent here. Secondly if they did, it suggests they do actually care in some level, otherwise they’d simply ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Ahwell wrote: »

I think its par for the course if it actually is those two gentlemen, both seem very thin skinned and very easy to offend.

Hopefully they'll speak up and add their voices to this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

redbuck wrote: »
    I think its par for the course if it actually is those two gentlemen, both seem very thin skinned and very easy to offend.

Hopefully they'll speak up and add their voices to this forum.

I think Richie posted a while back whining about his pay cut or something ?

• Advertisement

I think Richie posted a while back whining about his pay cut or something ?

He did, but I made an ill thought out comment about my views on his broadcasting and he replied because he thought that I meant he should be sacked in the middle of the pandemic.

I apologised because I was in the wrong but I'm still not a fan of his broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

redbuck wrote: »
    He did, but I made an ill thought out comment about my views on his broadcasting and he replied because he thought that I meant he should be sacked in the middle of the pandemic.

I apologised because I was in the wrong but I'm still not a fan of his broadcasting.

Doubt very much that was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Well, whoever it is, it is definitely an attempt at a piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

Where's Ger Gilroy disappeared to?

Doubt very much that was him.

Sadly it probably was. I don't know why anyone would consider making a parody account of Richie McCormack.

Well lads, any discussion of Swing Low at all?

Maybe Richie and Ger would do a Q&A about the show with us all here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Plane over the Burnely match saying "White Lives Matter Burnley".

Nathan: "it raises the question as to how something like this could happen".

Just wait til Gilroy gets a hold of this, they will get the week out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well it certainly raises questions so not sure what the issue with Nathan saying that is.

Best case scenario is it's completely tone deaf in the current climate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

OTB news round claims that a "far-right message" was flown over the Etihad Stadium. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

OTB news round claims that a "far-right message" was flown over the Etihad Stadium. Wow.

What exactly is wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Gergilroy

Your point being?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well lads, any discussion of Swing Low at all?

But it's the guys on the show who are obsessed with PC topics apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Acosta wrote: »
    Where's Ger Gilroy disappeared to?

Boards it appears.

We will know if it is the real Ger if he replies to posts he doesn't like with short, aggressive answers and some indiscernible comments like nananananananan-rarararararara at the end of his sentences.

Was looking through the OTB sports app a while ago and saw the article titled:

"FBI Investigate discovery of a noose in Bubba Wallace's Garage"

Funny, they didn't have an article on the story that broke yesterday evening that the FBI concluded their investigation and that the rope was used to hold open a door and had been there for over a year.

This is just another example of the double standards all too visible in Irish journalism at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

BPKS wrote: »
    Was looking through the OTB sports app a while ago and saw the article titled:

"FBI Investigate discovery of a noose in Bubba Wallace's Garage"

Funny, they didn't have an article on the story that broke yesterday evening that the FBI concluded their investigation and that the rope was used to hold open a door and had been there for over a year.

This is just another example of the double standards all too visible in Irish journalism at the moment.

As long as it suits the woke agenda.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As long as it suits the woke agenda.....

Versus the head in sand agenda.

We get it, some just don't want change.

Versus the head in sand agenda.

We get it, some just don't want change.

And some want change so much they are prepared to do whatever it takes - such as only reporting one side of the story:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

There is much hypocrisy in footballers/FA/broadcasters protesting civil rights and anti-racism in US and UK, while at the same time accepting huge sums of money directly and indirectly from the Middle East.

We will see how strongly they feel about exploitation and inequality in Qatar 2022, it is harder to protest if it might actually hurt your bottom line.

• Advertisement

There is much hypocrisy in footballers/FA/broadcasters protesting civil rights and anti-racism in US and UK, while at the same time accepting huge sums of money directly and indirectly from the Middle East.

We will see how strongly they feel about exploitation and inequality in Qatar 2022, it is harder to protest if it might actually hurt your bottom line.

Exactly.

Raheem Sterling had no problem when the people who were paying him €250k a week were bombing the sh1te out of Yemem at the same time.

Those black lives definitely didn't matter too much for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement