Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What topics?

BLM, BAME managers, Feminist managers, alt right, Trump, virtue signal....virtue signal....

Usual gamut of wokedness.

They needed to send a fleet of waaaambulances to deal with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BLM, BAME managers, Feminist managers, alt right, Trump, virtue signal....virtue signal....

Have you seen what is going on in the world right now?
    Everyone, everywhere is talking about these issues.

I mean, even on this thread, people are offended at the though of gambling in sports while some people are negatively impacted by it.

Some people are offended that darts was spoken about in a derogatory manner.

Would you say that falls in to the usual gamut of wokedness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What topics?

Bit of nonsense on the scumbag fight. Some horse racing which i dont like. Some premier league restarting stuff and other stuff i can barely remember. It was more the two guests, Hector and Cliona Foley that were mind numbingly boring. Hector of all people? Whats he doing near a sports paper review?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Oh Christ. Thanks for the warning, that’s not an episode for me!

You’re right. Everyone, everywhere. All the more reason to talk about sport on a sports show and give us all a break from Covid, George Floyd and felled statues. But as you are one of the woke crowd yourself, I wouldn’t expect you to agree.

• Advertisement

I mean, even on this thread, people are offended at the though of gambling in sports while some people are negatively impacted by it.

Are you disgusted by the gambling and darts?

Oh Christ. Thanks for the warning, that’s not an episode for me!

There might have been a bit of TERF bashing as well for good measure.

You’re right. Everyone, everywhere. All the more reason to talk about sport on a sports show and give us all a break from Covid, George Floyd and felled statues. But as you are one of the woke crowd yourself, I wouldn’t expect you to agree.

You don't care about Kinahan murdering innocent people, I'm not exactly expecting to see you on a march any day soon.

The world of sport and real life events and personalities continually overlaps, it makes it much more interesting to discuss ways in which this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You’re right. Everyone, everywhere. All the more reason to talk about sport on a sports show and give us all a break from Covid, George Floyd and felled statues. .

What utter nonsense. How could you possibly discuss the "behind closed doors" return of the Premier League without also discussing Covid? Premier League players' names will be replaced on the back of their shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' for the first 12 matches of the restarted season, making it a sports story.

You don't care about Kinahan murdering innocent people.

Never said that. I don’t know enough about any of it to comment.

• Advertisement

Are you disgusted by the gambling and darts?

Darts? Absolutely not, we talk about football hooligans, racing snobs, rugby fan stereotypes, GAA fans etc in loose presumptive terms pretty frequently and people understand the context in which those comments are being made.

On the gambling, I would much rather it wasn't so closely aligned with sports and did email the show before saying I used to switch off during the 'experts tips' from the boylesports guy simply because it was waffle. But I also know that a lot of people can gamble without it developing in to an issue and so I can see that side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s hard to avoid it, agreed. But it was excessive, more to the point the standard of discussion was from Hector and Clíodhna was horrific. She’s bad any on given day but seems to do some preparation to cover over the cracks of her ineptitude and mind numbing commentary but this Hector fella, it seemed he just logged into whatever platform they were using to communicate with zero research and columns read and started shooting his mouth off about all sorts of nonsense and was utterly clueless about anything Joe asked his sporting opinion on. I think he was attempting comedy at times. It was embarrassing stuff from both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

I used to enjoy OTB but recently it has become almost unlistenable.

Richie McCormack was virtue signalling at the highest order regarding the death of George Floyd a couple of weeks ago.
    It's a pity he doesn't share some sympathy on air for the tragic deaths in the nursing homes in Ireland even though neither belong in a sports show.

The 10 or 11 John Mitchels GAA clubs should also start thinking about getting new headed stationery if these guys have their way.

The panel wanted a statue for Michael D Higgins who just so happens to be a sympathiser for a former dictator and they have no problem with the statue in Offaly of Obama even though the amount of bombs dropped during his presidency dwarfed the amount dropped by that warmonger Bush.

They wanted to 'correct' the amount of BAME managers in the league because it is too low but seem to have no problem with the amount of BAME players as that is over represented.

Regarding Kinehan, I don't know much about him but I didn't hear much outrage from OTB when Denis O'Brien was paying most of Trappatoni's wages to the FAI.
    Mr O'Briens transgressions are in the open and founded by Tribunal but as he is also their boss it seems such virtue can be silenced when their wages are at stake.

bossdrum wrote: »
    I used to enjoy OTB but recently it has become almost unlistenable.

Richie McCormack was virtue signalling at the highest order regarding the death of George Floyd a couple of weeks ago.
    It's a pity he doesn't share some sympathy on air for the tragic deaths in the nursing homes in Ireland even though neither belong in a sports show.

The 10 or 11 John Mitchels GAA clubs should also start thinking about getting new headed stationery if these guys have their way.

The panel wanted a statue for Michael D Higgins who just so happens to be a sympathiser for a former dictator and they have no problem with the statue in Offaly of Obama even though the amount of bombs dropped during his presidency dwarfed the amount dropped by that warmonger Bush.

They wanted to 'correct' the amount of BAME managers in the league because it is too low but seem to have no problem with the amount of BAME players as that is over represented.

Regarding Kinehan, I don't know much about him but I didn't hear much outrage from OTB when Denis O'Brien was paying most of Trappatoni's wages to the FAI.
    Mr O'Briens transgressions are in the open and founded by Tribunal but as he is also their boss it seems such virtue can be silenced when their wages are at stake.

Usual OTB defender in 3.....2......1.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tuned in for a minute earlier and they were talking about statues so I instantly changed channel

Fck me, did any conversations about actual sport break out at all today? There was more virtue signalling nonsense (unbelievably of a sporting variety) yesterday when they refused to include Sean Kelly, arguably Ireland’s greatest ever cyclist, on the County Waterford Mount Rushmore things they’ve been doing. You see to keep up with his European competitors, it is thought that Sean took a substance or two in an effort to ensure he didn’t fade in obscurity in the cycling pecking order. Oddly, their regular contributor Paul Kimmage also engaged in such behaviour but is nonetheless welcomed on the show with open arms on a regular basis, ironically, to talk about that very topic. Even more ironically, it’s all he ever talks about. The man eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes doping.

Fck me, did any conversations about actual sport break out at all today? There was more virtue signalling nonsense (unbelievably of a sporting variety) yesterday when they refused to include Sean Kelly, arguably Ireland’s greatest ever cyclist, on the County Waterford Mount Rushmore things they’ve been doing. You see to keep up with his European competitors, it is thought that Sean took a substance or two in an effort to ensure he didn’t fade in obscurity in the cycling pecking order. Oddly, their regular contributor Paul Kimmage also engaged in such behaviour but is nonetheless welcomed on the show with open arms on a regular basis, ironically, to talk about that very topic. Even more ironically, it’s all he ever talks about. The man eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes doping.

Thats ridiculous alright. Kelly should made that list. Who made the cut? John O Shea, Ken McGrath and Mullane?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kimmage hasn’t been on in ages , in fairness

Thats ridiculous alright. Kelly should made that list. Who made the cut? John O Shea, Ken McGrath and Mullane?

An odd list.

O’Shea, John Treacy (fair enough), Niamh Briggs (have to have a female in there - this is OTB) and Thomas Barr (whose sister happened to be on the panel. Fancy that).

No hurlers. Incredible.

An odd list.

O’Shea, John Treacy (fair enough), Niamh Briggs (have to have a female in there - this is OTB) and Thomas Barr (whose sister happened to be on the panel. Fancy that).

No hurlers. Incredible.

Oh yes of course John Treacy. Ah your joking me with Niamh Biggs and Barrs sister on the panel. Thats pathetic in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Oddly, their regular contributor Paul Kimmage also engaged in such behaviour but is nonetheless welcomed on the show with open arms on a regular basis, ironically, to talk about that very topic. Even more ironically, it’s all he ever talks about. The man eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes doping.

Damn it, you got my hopes up Jay. Kimmage hasn't been on in ages. Not sure if there was a row there but it's been a long time. I looked at the podcast today, as I was going to listen to it while doing a bit of gardening, but it reads "Troubled times in boxing, racism in sport". And to be frank, I've heard all that they have to say about racism in sport - all the live long day every day of the week.

Unless the "racism in sport" is in reference to the lack of opportunity for white sprinters, then I've heard it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Kimmage hasn’t been on in ages , in fairness

That’s right...can’t even remember the last one, and he was always quite good. Loose canon chucking out obscenities and whatever else accusations and theories ran through the mad c*nts head mid-afternoon.

Think I may have answered my own question there as to why he hasn’t been on lately on reflection,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Oh yes of course John Treacy. Ah your joking me with Niamh Biggs and Barrs sister on the panel. Thats pathetic in all fairness.

Niamh Briggs, that absolutely ridiculous.

How many women play rugby worldwide?

Damn it, you got my hopes up Jay. Kimmage hasn't been on in ages. Not sure if there was a row there but it's been a long time. I looked at the podcast today, as I was going to listen to it while doing a bit of gardening, but it reads "Troubled times in boxing, racism in sport". And to be frank, I've heard all that they have to say about racism in sport - all the live long day every day of the week.

Unless the "racism in sport" is in reference to the lack of opportunity for white sprinters, then I've heard it all before.

That's up there with 'sure the NFL can't be racist, most players are black'.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Niamh Briggs, that absolutely ridiculous.

How many women play rugby worldwide?

Not that many but growing. It’s not Briggs per se that I’d have the issue with on that selection. She’s good at what she does and has achieved plenty in her domain. My issue is that if picking a Waterford Mount Rushmore, you go and omit any player from the only sport that really matters in the county. And you do it because you are OTB and you are compelled to forcibly hammer women’s sport down your listenership’s throat. Then you include someone whose sister is on the judging panel to make it even more farcical. For the record, Tom Barr is a fantastic athlete who achieved a brilliant fourth place finish in his event at the last Olympics. He might well have more to add to that so his career could yet be legendary. But it isn’t yet and John Mullane, Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan, even Paul Flynn, are Waterford folk heroes who will go down as some of the greatest hurlers the county ever produced. And not one made the list!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think most of their lists were put together in the fear that they would end up with four males faces on the mountain and suffer a backlash on Twitter as a result. Which, to be fair, is probably what would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

That’s right...can’t even remember the last one, and he was always quite good. Loose canon chucking out obscenities and whatever else accusations and theories ran through the mad c*nts head mid-afternoon.

Think I may have answered my own question there as to why he hasn’t been on lately on reflection,

Kimmage wont appear on any Communicorp stations until they lift their ban on IT journalists appearing from what I've read. A lot more journalists should be doing the same imo but its easy money thats hard turn down I suppose

Kimmage wont appear on any Communicorp stations until they lift their ban on IT journalists appearing from what I've read. A lot more journalists should be doing the same imo but its easy money thats hard turn down I suppose

Hopefully the ban continues for some time then. One dimensional does not begin to describe that man. I’m pretty sure he’s thinking about doping right now.

The Waterford Mount Rushmore for me would be

1 Sean Kelly
    2 John Treacy
    3 John O Shea
    4 Ken McGrath
    5 John Mullane

Having a woman rugby player is baloney. What are the attendances or viewer figures like for this? Not a rugby fan myself but anytime i had the misfortune of flicking through the channels and seeing the womans rugby there seemed little crowd. How is she ahead of legends of hurling, Waterfords favourite game? An insult to peoples intelligence. If Briggs was on Mnt Rushmore there should be statues built for McGrath and Mullane in Mount Sion and De La Salle instead.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the ban continues for some time then. One dimensional does not begin to describe that man. I’m pretty sure he’s thinking about doping right now.

Surely hes not still at that carry on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement