Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

bossdrum wrote: »
    First item up, the extension of the free school meals in the UK. I wouldn't have thought this had much relevance or interest to an Irish audience and whatever happened to keeping politics and sport separate?

You kind of left out an important element of the story i.e., Marcus Rashford. This story was always going to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Ahwell wrote: »
    You kind of left out an important element of the story i.e., Marcus Rashford. This story was always going to be covered.

It’s still doesn’t stop it being absolutely mundane and not a sports story.

Jayesdiem wrote: »

I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

What a soft interview Molloy has here with some English boxing journalist. This journo calling this cartel scumbag 'Daniel' all the time like their good pals. Basically saying there's little or no chance this fight wont go ahead and saying there's always been dodgy characters in boxing and thats just the way it is. Vomit inducing stuff. But outside of Dublin/Ireland people dont seem to give a damn about cancer kinahan.

Don't see anything wrong with what Tris Dixon said personally. He didn't excuse what's happening with Kinahan by bringing up boxing's dirty past, he used it to make an example of how systematically boxing has an issue due to a lack of an overall governing body and how it's basically impossible to keep a lid on dodgy characters getting involved until that changes. Called it as it is. The fight is obviously extremely likely to still go ahead. There's no point in him lying about that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Morrison J wrote: »
    Don't see anything wrong with what Tris Dixon said personally. He didn't excuse what's happening with Kinahan by bringing up boxing's dirty past, he used it to make an example of how systematically boxing has an issue due to a lack of an overall governing body and how it's basically impossible to keep a lid on dodgy characters getting involved until that changes. Called it as it is. The fight is obviously extremely likely to still go ahead. There's no point in him lying about that fact.

Tris Dixon is one of the very few honourable boxing journalists, been in the game a long time, well before Kugan Cassius and the other blow in's from IFL and the like who masquerade as boxing journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

He may be a good boxing journalist but it sickening to here him go on about how 'Daniel' is so well respected by all the boxers and likes of Bob Arum.At this stage i hope OTB stop giving this cartel boss any more oxygen. Like the Star Newspaper they could totally boycott this disgusting event. A lot here in Dublin know the misery this murdering machine cartel have caused. And continue to do so. Dozens of families have lost loved ones. Some completely innocent. And its hard to listen to people go on about how lovely 'Daniel' is liked so much. It is grotesque. Hats off to Kieran Cunningham for he knows the true horrors this scumbag has caused on Dublin's streets. Pity others don't or don't seem to care.

He may be a good boxing journalist but it sickening to here him go on about how 'Daniel' is so well respected by all the boxers and likes of Bob Arum.At this stage i hope OTB stop giving this cartel boss any more oxygen. Like the Star Newspaper they could totally boycott this disgusting event. A lot here in Dublin know the misery this murdering machine cartel have caused. And continue to do so. Dozens of families have lost loved ones. Some completely innocent. And its hard to listen to people go on about how lovely 'Daniel' is liked so much. It is grotesque. Hats off to Kieran Cunningham for he knows the true horrors this scumbag has caused on Dublin's streets. Pity others don't or don't seem to care.

In the contemporary scramble to “one up” each other in the virtue signalling stakes, I’m actually surprised OTB haven’t gone the boycott route yet. If they think talking about it raises awareness of the wrongs of Kinahan’s involvement, they are mistaken. There is no such thing as bad publicity, probably more so in boxing than any other sport, so the best solution is to be silent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

In the contemporary scramble to “one up” each other in the virtue signalling stakes, I’m actually surprised OTB haven’t gone the boycott route yet. If they think talking about it raises awareness of the wrongs of Kinahan’s involvement, they are mistaken. There is no such thing as bad publicity, probably more so in boxing than any other sport, so the best solution is to be silent on it.

So you reckon they should all just pack it in and leave them at it?

I dont agree with boycotting/silence to be the best option. There has been silence about MTK for the last how many years. About time there was widespread discussion about this particular outfit. Be it fear, lack of interest or whatever, no journalist (apart from Crime journalists in ireland) have had the balls to properly investigate this story. And its extremely murky and close to home. To say boxing is full of dodgy characters is very true, but its not a good enough excuse.

An irish radio station boycotting a superfight will really have Bob Arum and DAZN sports shaking in their boots.

The likes of Kinahan would love a boycott, irish media need to keep their foot on the gas about this one, keep throwing mud.

Would be victory for everyone if FBI or someone with real clout took down Kinahan and his like and a single governing body had to be set up to govern pro boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

I don't agree.

It is mundane for a lot of sports fans.

Fair play to him for what he's done but it's over now it doesn't need to be discussed ad naseum when it is nothing to do with the sport.

The reason why I enjoy listening to John Giles on the show an why I have found his 1-11 selections so interesting as it's purely a discussion about the sport and nothing else added on to it.

They are running a sports show and they should probably realize that the vast majority of their fans are mainly interested in sport.

The problem with sports journalists these days is deep down they know sport is not important and is just a bit of fun and so in order to make themselves more worthy as serious journalists they have to over emphasis the real news stuff connected to the sport, obviously it has to be discussed but far too much discussion in sports media around the world gives excessive emphasis to the serious stuff connected to the sport rather than the sport itself.Sport is escapism for most people and sports shows should be more aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is mundane for a lot of sports fans.

Fair play to him for what he's done but it's over now it doesn't need to be discussed ad naseum when it is nothing to do with the sport.

The reason why I enjoy listening to John Giles on the show an why I have found his 1-11 selections so interesting as it's purely a discussion about the sport and nothing else added on to it.

They are running a sports show and they should probably realize that the vast majority of their fans are mainly interested in sport.

The problem with sports journalists these days is deep down they know sport is not important and is just a bit of fun and so in order to make themselves more worthy as serious journalists they have to over emphasis the real news stuff connected to the sport, obviously it has to be discussed but far too much discussion in sports media around the world gives excessive emphasis to the serious stuff connected to the sport rather than the sport itself.Sport is escapism for most people and sports shows should be more aware of that.

The evidence would point to the contrary.

Second Captains success has been based on the whole conversation around sport, so too how OTB has grown in the last x number of years as well as a whole host of podcasts.

Even on Twitter, a lot of the more popular sports commentators talk a lot about stuff going on outside of sport and get a lot of engagement when doing so.

I get what you are saying about escapism but I think a lot of people are also interested in the areas where sport and real life overlaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

bossdrum wrote: »
    The 10 or 11 John Mitchels GAA clubs should also start thinking about getting new headed stationery if these guys have their way.

That could open a can of worms.

Here's another one: I remember a letter in the Irish Times a while back saying that Princes William and Harry were related to Patrick Sarsfield. What happens when one of them, and their children, ascends to the throne, as will happen in the ordinary scheme of things?

Will Sarsfields in Lucan have to change their name to the King's Own?

I only ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

Rashford is a Manchester United and England striker so its both a news and sport story

Sport and current affairs can overlap and to argue to the contrary is just stupid

You weren't even aware of it until it started being discussed here.

As Tell me how has just said, where is the evidence of this? From the inception of the show, over 10 years ago, the type of stories covered and the the way those stories are covered hasn't changed

If you don't believe me listen to the Second Captains free podcast from last Monday. Black Lives Matter, Colston's statue, the "protect our statues" protest, Trump and the NFL were all discussed at length.

A consensus of opinion among a handful of posters on a Boards.ie thread means feck all. The Second Captains podcasts are one of the most successful ones in the country, if not the most successful. OTB's JNLR figures have been rock solid for years. It's the most listen to radio show at that time of the day in Ireland. The only radio show that beats RTE radio in any timeslot. All of which would suggest there is an appetite for their type of output.

As Tell me how has just said, where is the evidence of this? From the inception of the show, over 10 years ago, the type of stories covered and the the way those stories are covered hasn't changed

If you don't believe me listen to the Second Captains free podcast from last Monday. Black Lives Matter, Colston's statue, the "protect our statues" protest, Trump and the NFL were all discussed at length.

A consensus of opinion among a handful of posters on a Boards.ie thread means feck all. The Second Captains podcasts are one of the most successful ones in the country, if not the most successful. OTB's JNLR figures have been rock solid for years. It's the most listen to radio show at that time of the day in Ireland. The only radio show that beats RTE radio in any timeslot. All of which would suggest there is an appetite for their type of output.

I find it tedious and i actively avoid the show any time a topic like Rashford, BLM might come up.if I want serious news I'll tune in to real news programs , I don't need a sports show to give me the real news or have endless discussions about.I suspect there are a lot of people like me.

I find it tedious and i actively avoid the show any time a topic like Rashford, BLM might come up.if I want serious news I'll tune in to real news programs , I don't need a sports show to give me the real news or have endless discussions about.

That's your preference, I have no issue with that, but there is no evidence from OTB's listener figures that suggests there is "a lot of people" fed up with their content...and their content has always been like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

The evidence would point to the contrary.

Second Captains success has been based on the whole conversation around sport, so too how OTB has grown in the last x number of years as well as a whole host of podcasts.

Even on Twitter, a lot of the more popular sports commentators talk a lot about stuff going on outside of sport and get a lot of engagement when doing so.

I get what you are saying about escapism but I think a lot of people are also interested in the areas where sport and real life overlaps.

No, there is not evidence for it, you are wrong, and usually you are.
    The popular segments of the sport show is when they have pundits on to discuss sport.
    For instance, Giles best11, and yesterday wood&Odriscoll picking their best team are interesting and popular during this period. They are what most of the listeners want to hear.
    Hopefully they talk about the football now its back, and not about what someone has written on their vest under their jersey.

The most popular youtube videos OTB have are ones about sport.
    They had a music star on to discuss issues about race in ireland. It was not popular.

You weren't even aware of it until it started being discussed here.

I was in a broad sense, just not clear on the particulars. I quote myself in saying he is a known “bad man”. And here is not OTB, here is an Internet forum and discussion of the topic here is in no way analogous to any potential boycott by a media outlet. Not even close.

deisedude wrote: »
    Rashford is a Manchester United and England striker so its both a news and sport story

Sport and current affairs can overlap and to argue to the contrary is just stupid

Nah it’s a current affairs story that just so happened to feature a soccer player. It’s a non story. Think about it: school lunches. Not that interesting.

• Advertisement

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    No, there is not evidence for it, you are wrong, and usually you are.
    The popular segments of the sport show is when they have pundits on to discuss sport.
    For instance, Giles best11, and yesterday wood&Odriscoll picking their best team are interesting and popular during this period. They are what most of the listeners want to hear.
    Hopefully they talk about the football now its back, and not about what someone has written on their vest under their jersey.

Apart from increased listenership, expanded shows, podcasts, company breaking off from NT as it's own entity and x number of awards for both the show and the presenters.

Sure, no evidence.

Bet you miss Aertel. That was sports reporting the way it's supposed to be.

Apart from increased listenership, expanded shows, podcasts, company breaking off from NT as it's own entity and x number of awards for both the show and the presenters.

Sure, no evidence.

Awards are meaningless, just a bunch of buddies in the Irish radio industry giving eachother awards. How do you know that people specifically tune in for the non sports stuff on OTB?

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    The most popular youtube videos OTB have are ones about sport.
    They had a music star on to discuss issues about race in ireland. It was not popular.

Looking at their Youtube page, with the exception of "Peter Coonan | The genius of The Sopranos | Covid's impact on acting industry | Love/Hate", they are all sports stories. Which makes your point kind of moot really.

Awards are meaningless, just a bunch of buddies in the Irish radio industry giving eachother awards. How do you know that people specifically tune in for the non sports stuff on OTB?

How do you know they don't?

And, it isn't non-sports, it's real world events as they influence or are experienced by sports people and organisations.

You probably think Colin Kaepernick protesting was a non-sports story also.

Nah it’s a current affairs story that just so happened to feature a soccer player. It’s a non story. Think about it: school lunches. Not that interesting.

Rashford trended on Twitter in the US for a period yesterday. Guess that indicates some level of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Rashford trended on Twitter in the US for a period yesterday. Guess that indicates some level of interest.

And Pogba has 30m insta followers. Who says United are going through a barren spell.

Sure, no evidence.

What are you on about?
    Otb is popular because its an excellent sport show. The guests they have on and the coverage they do is great.
    But sport, not the politics.
    Sure when your boss ger even tried to bring politics into a discussion about darts. His own colleagues thought it was laughable.
    Sometimes there is no need. And sometimes they become hypocritical with the whole gambling angle. Their views on worldwide issues are not needed. Leave it to the current affairs shows

Excellent point. It was a story, and now it's being brought up again.
    And they won't mention the fact he's an average player.why is that???? Haha, it's laughable

BPKS wrote: »
    And Pogba has 30m insta followers. Who says United are going through a barren spell.

Twitter is the most important thing, ever, ever!!!! Sure ger is popular on twitter even after the hundreds he has to block each week

• Advertisement

How do you know they don't?

And, it isn't non-sports, it's real world events as they influence or are experienced by sports people and organisations.

Another can of sh1te story. Impossible to disentangle from the sport itself but should really have only appealed to Americans who were either offended at his perceived disrespect of their country or NFL fans themselves. I suppose the progressive activists such as yourself are a third group but they tend not to be into sport in as large numbers. Regardless, not much NFL news makes it across the water to us. So why that particular story? Why indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement