Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

At least they had a nice little pay cut because of
    Covid 19. I’d say behind all the bravado they’re having a little weep.

Charming. What type of miserable person enjoys seeing someone having their pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Great conversation ongoing with Kieran Cunningham about Daniel Kinahan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Gergilroy wrote: »
    Your point being?

Will you address the issue of what you said about darts fans???
    It was shameful.
    I'm starting to think you're being obnoxious on purpose because you're behavior is overly obnoxious every day. The way you talk about people you disagree with is nothing short of disgraceful.

It's laughable that you called English rugby fans arrogant.

You let your station and colleagues down everyday.
    But it's the guys on the show who are obsessed with PC topics apparently.

How come you didn't reply to my post last week asking why does otb have to try and be a current affairs show. It doesn't. Its a sports show. And it is very good when it sticks to the sports. Thats why its popular.
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's not just this thread, it's Boards as a whole.

Remember, if the Boards poll was the presidential election, we'd have that imbecile Peter Casey as our head of state because he said something or other about travellers.

Good point, but many imbeciles get elected. And will continue to do so.
    Many people don't agree with the narrative otb spits out on current affairs/society. Perhaps they should be neutral and discuss sports.
    Leave the current affairs to the current affairs shows???

Or maybe if they want to keep going with the nonsense they should get rid of some of their staff and allow some diversity. Practice what they preach!!!! #stillnofemales

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Practice what they preach!!!! #stillnofemales

To be fair they had that one show one time with all female hosts. Checkbox checked.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Locking for review

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod note

I can't get the time to review the thread (think quite a few can count themselves lucky to avoid bans). So from here on out its zero tolerance, any of the carry on that has been warned about before and its a straight ban.

Lock down is over, its a discussion forum, play nice, no mods want to lock threads it defeats the purpose of Boards.

If needed have a reread of the charter, no attacking posters, no acting the maggot.

thanks
    pc7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The interview with Coghlan is worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't listen to this show any more. Every time I turn it on it's either some rugby player banging on about mental health, or still going on about the last world cup. Still. Or the time BOD got a hattrick in Paris. Or just the same poxy rugby players interviewing each other. What more can we know about these people?
    If it's not that it's someone going on about some boring GAA stuff that I don't care about and am not sure anyone does, or bloody horse racing.
    And that presenter who also presents on TV3 now is just so serious about everything, he would bore you to tears.
    Even the football show now is sh*te. Kenny Cunningham is awful, as is Damian Delaney, he seems like a nice lad but God he'd put you to sleep. Gary Breen needs to chill out too.
    It's actually pretty good when they do the football show on a Saturday afternoon, whoever it is that presents that one and the guys they have on.
    As for those bloody panels discussing women's matters in sports etc, snoozefest.
    Or the newspaper review on Sundays, Jesus... they make the smallest things into big deals and squeeze the life out of it.
    I think they need to take a more light hearted approach to things, the show is just depressing half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I can't listen to this show any more. Every time I turn it on it's either some rugby player banging on about mental health, or still going on about the last world cup. Still. Or the time BOD got a hattrick in Paris. Or just the same poxy rugby players interviewing each other. What more can we know about these people?
    If it's not that it's someone going on about some boring GAA stuff that I don't care about and am not sure anyone does, or bloody horse racing.
    And that presenter who also presents on TV3 now is just so serious about everything, he would bore you to tears.
    Even the football show now is sh*te. Kenny Cunningham is awful, as is Damian Delaney, he seems like a nice lad but God he'd put you to sleep. Gary Breen needs to chill out too.
    It's actually pretty good when they do the football show on a Saturday afternoon, whoever it is that presents that one and the guys they have on.
    As for those bloody panels discussing women's matters in sports etc, snoozefest.
    Or the newspaper review on Sundays, Jesus... they make the smallest things into big deals and squeeze the life out of it.
    I think they need to take a more light hearted approach to things, the show is just depressing half the time.

Welcome to the OTB thread. I think you’ll get on very well here! (though you did forget to mention that the crime of doping is tantamount to rape and murder on Planet OTB).

Fan of the show, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

OTB Need to follow the posters' example 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

OTB thread back with a bang

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

If you don't care for Rugby, GAA or Horse Racing then I'm not sure what Irish sports show appeals to you.

Kenny Cunningham is hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

JFC

Fan of the show, then?

I used to be now any time i try to listen i find it painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’d be curious to know what sort of sport podcast/radio media you do like?

As much as I complain about some of the aspects of the show, they do have a lot of good stuff. Sure they’re on air pretty much all the time - all their stuff can’t appeal to everyone.

I agree with you with regards to some of the rugby stuff - I’ve mentioned here only a few weeks ago that I feel as if I was part of the munster side of the 00s with the amount of times their stories have been told. Alan Quinlan and Wood are on way too often. And now I think they have both got their own spin offs!!

I’m not sure what you expect an Irish sports station covering rugby, GAA and horse racing most of the time? They are 3 of the 4 most popular sports in the country.

Yeah I used to enjoy listening to most topics they covered but now it’s not for me, Clive.
    I like the guardian and totally football show but they only cover football.

Yeah I used to enjoy listening to most topics they covered but now it’s not for me, Clive.
    I like the guardian and totally football show but they only cover football.

It sounds like you want the old OTB back. Second Captains is a fiver a month if you can afford to fork out for it.

Personally, I just think it's partly a cyclical thing. I remember when the old crew left it was like a breath of fresh air hearing loads of new voices, but I must admit now that when I listen to the Second Captains freebie on a Monday, I do miss the dynamic they had.

McDevitt has a great lightness of touch and maturity to his broadcasting and has great foils in the comedian (Murph) and the grouch (Ken). That being said, I would imagine that if I listened to them all the time then they would probably start to wreck my head, especially the latter pair.

However, I do think McDevitt puts anything the current set-up has in the hapenny place. Molloy is a good broadcaster but his preachiness and constant dancing around any tougher subject matters (he sounds terrified at times!) gives away his relative inexperience in the role. Gilroy seems to turn an awful lot of people off, myself included.

There's also the fact that the quality of the material on the nightly show now seems to be greatly diluted by starting a morning show and having nearly six hours of content to pump out every day. It seems they have spread themselves too thin.

I do think the quality of the show has taken a bit of a nosedive, and I miss the compelling pieces that used to be a lot more frequent, but I do think an element of it is just getting sick of hearing the same voices.

For what it's worth, it would be great if this place could get back to being a place to discuss the show rather than a vehicle for some people to vent their insecurities and prejudices, which it had turned into before it got locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It sounds like you want the old OTB back. Second Captains is a fiver a month if you can afford to fork out for it.

Personally, I just think it's partly a cyclical thing. I remember when the old crew left it was like a breath of fresh air hearing loads of new voices, but I must admit now that when I listen to the Second Captains freebie on a Monday, I do miss the dynamic they had.

McDevitt has a great lightness of touch and maturity to his broadcasting and has great foils in the comedian (Murph) and the grouch (Ken). That being said, I would imagine that if I listened to them all the time then they would probably start to wreck my head, especially the latter pair.

However, I do think McDevitt puts anything the current set-up has in the hapenny place. Molloy is a good broadcaster but his preachiness and constant dancing around any tougher subject matters (he sounds terrified at times!) gives away his relative inexperience in the role. Gilroy seems to turn an awful lot of people off, myself included.

There's also the fact that the quality of the material on the nightly show now seems to be greatly diluted by starting a morning show and having nearly six hours of content to pump out every day. It seems they have spread themselves too thin.

I do think the quality of the show has taken a bit of a nosedive, and I miss the compelling pieces that used to be a lot more frequent, but I do think an element of it is just getting sick of hearing the same voices.

For what it's worth, it would be great if this place could get back to being a place to discuss the show rather than a vehicle for some people to vent their insecurities and prejudices, which it had turned into before it got locked.

You were doing well up until this point.

First of all, this thread on this forum, on this site discussing this particular radio show is probably up there with the most meaningless, tiny, minute, minuscule matters of importance on this planet at the moment, although I’m sure Ger would disagree.

Secondly, are those here who you describe as “people to vent their insecurities and prejudices” because you disagree with them? So they are prejudice and insecure? They are fairly disparaging and derogatory remarks to make about a group of people you know nothing about but just simply disagree with them because of their commentary on, as I say, a fairly unimportant Irish radio ‘sports’ show.

You were doing well up until this point.

First of all, this thread on this forum, on this site discussing this particular radio show is probably up there with the most meaningless, tiny, minute, minuscule matters of importance on this planet at the moment, although I’m sure Ger would disagree.

Secondly, are those here who you describe as “people to vent their insecurities and prejudices” because you disagree with them? So they are prejudice and insecure? They are fairly disparaging and derogatory remarks to make about a group of people you know nothing about but just simply disagree with them because of their commentary on, as I say, a fairly unimportant Irish radio ‘sports’ show.

Trust me, I couldn't care less if they (or you for that matter) agree or disagree with my take on OTB. I'm happy to hop the ball with anyone on the merits of the show as long as it's above board.

What I was referring to was those who used this forum and their criticism of the show in a thinly veiled attempt to roll out their dubious opinions on a number of issues that as you say are far more serious than a sports radio show. Read back through some of the posts before this was locked and you'll see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trust me, I couldn't care less if they (or you for that matter) agree or disagree with my take on OTB. I'm happy to hop the ball with anyone on the merits of the show as long as it's above board.

What I was referring to was those who used this forum and their criticism of the show in a thinly veiled attempt to roll out their dubious opinions on a number of issues that as you say are far more serious than a sports radio show. Read back through some of the posts before this was locked and you'll see what I mean.

The concerned citizens, I like to call them.

The thread was locked because it digressed into a socio political row because that what the show has become, it’s no longer a sports show.. Is it any wonder that this thread is not sport focussed when their presenters are focussing on political social issues and, even when there is sport, it is political social focussed with a very obvious far leaning agenda, you choose which.

I read this thread regularly, you are of one divide and those that you disagree with are of the other. In your eyes, they are ‘prejudiced and insecure’, that is derogatory and insulting, why are you not prejudicial and insecure? Because you don’t agree with them?

Far left far right stuff is so tiresome and becoming more divisive, be great if we had some escape from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Listened to the show a few times this week, out of nostalgia.

Three things:

1. The show suffers more than most from that increasingly common trait of sports broadcasting: smugness. Christ alive, they are the smuggest of the smug.

2. The dilution referred to above. Several of the bits on the newsround one day - the actual day's sports news - were about the previous day's interview with Michael Duignan on...Off The Ball.

3. The Paddy Power bull****. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The thread was locked because it digressed into a socio political row because that what the show has become, it’s no longer a sports show..

Except the show hasn't become anything, it has always been like this. The Second Captains covers the same stories and does so in a very similar way. If you don't like...well tough. They are not going to change what has worked for over a decade for your benefit, why the hell should they?

Ahwell wrote: »
    Except the show hasn't become anything, it has always been like this. The Second Captains covers the same stories and does so in a very similar way.

Nah, poor effort. not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Nah, poor effort. not worth it.

I have no idea what you are trying say here. What's a poor effort and what's not worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Higgins makes some really great points here. Dance, you are doing exactly what he says you are doing - denouncing those whose opinions are not aligned to your own because those opinions are the “wrong” opinions. In a microcosm your attitude reflects that of the wider world in that you seem to believe in freedom of thought up to the point that those thoughts are the “correct” ones. If you posses these correct thoughts you are a good person, if you don’t, you aren’t. You get this in the States where anyone who wants a US-Mexico border wall (which I think is stupid) is considered a racist. Why? What sort of leap of logic makes that so unequivocally true? Let’s bring that logic to sport: I, and I think others here, am not overly entertained by women’s sport. For the most part I think it’s a load of sh1te and is wholly unentertaining. There are many exceptions to this such as tennis but that opinion doesn’t save me from being considered a misogynist. Never mind the fact that I fully support women engaging with sport to the same degree as men and the fact that it bothers me that more women don’t play sport. I don’t enjoy watching or hearing about women’s sport so, by extension, I hate women. I have listened to most of Keith Wood’s State of the Nation podcasts on the current state of rugby but when the episode on the women’s game popped up, I deleted it straight away because I have no interest in it and, as I said, I think women’s sport is mostly sh1te to watch so I don’t watch it. This is the “prejudice” you speak of borne out of an incorrect assumption that not being entertained by women’s sport and believing that women should engage with sport to the same degree as men are incompatible views that can’t coexist. I’m saying they can and on that open-minded basis I can compliment or criticise OTB on any issue I want because we live in a free world (though it would be naive to think we’ve got free speech). For the record: women, keep playing sport in greater numbers.

mod note

Did anyone read the previous mod note? Honestly take the talk to pm’s, no more on thread stuff. I don’t want to lock this but if it isnt about the show leave it to pm’s. Back to discussing the topics/interviews etc

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Listened to the show a few times this week, out of nostalgia.

Three things:

1. The show suffers more than most from that increasingly common trait of sports broadcasting: smugness. Christ alive, they are the smuggest of the smug.

2. The dilution referred to above. Several of the bits on the newsround one day - the actual day's sports news - were about the previous day's interview with Michael Duignan on...Off The Ball.

3. The Paddy Power bull****. I hate it.

Hard to argue with any of that.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    Except the show hasn't become anything, it has always been like this. The Second Captains covers the same stories and does so in a very similar way. If you don't like...well tough. They are not going to change what has worked for over a decade for your benefit, why the hell should they?

We had over three months without live sport which coincided with two of the biggest news stories in history and the show greatly expanding its content and people can't understand why they are covering their impact on sport...

Of course there's also the fact that an awful lot of people who work in the media have huge egos and think they have far more to offer than what they are paid to do, which is give their opinion on sport.

Molloy suffers from this and spent a lot of the pandemic drifting off into giving his take on other matters when he should just stick to his job. You see it over and over - Richie McCormack with music, Ken Early with history etc. Gilroy headed off to current affairs for a while. It's annoying and very see through.

You see it the other way around too - Pat Kenny talking football, Gavan Reilly on GAA etc. It's an egotistical attempt to pass themselves off as more rounded individuals and being greater than the remit they have.

My thoughts are always the same - stick to what you are being paid to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement