Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We had over three months without live sport which coincided with two of the biggest news stories in history and the show greatly expanding its content and people can't understand why they are covering their impact on sport...

Of course there's also the fact that an awful lot of people who work in the media have huge egos and think they have far more to offer than what they are paid to do, which is give their opinion on sport.

Molloy suffers from this and spent a lot of the pandemic drifting off into giving his take on other matters when he should just stick to his job. You see it over and over - Richie McCormack with music, Ken Early with history etc. Gilroy headed off to current affairs for a while. It's annoying and very see through.

You see it the other way around too - Pat Kenny talking football, Gavan Reilly on GAA etc. It's an egotistical attempt to pass themselves off as more rounded individuals and being greater than the remit they have.

My thoughts are always the same - stick to what you are being paid to do.

I don't think there is any ego involved in how topics are discussed.
    People who are interested in sport are more than capable of being interested in other topics and so often we see the worlds overlap. Marcus Rashfords efforts and Ian Wrights experience this summer for example.

Particularly at this moment when Covid-19, government regulations, societies expectations etc all have such an influence on sport, it would be ignorant to not have the conversation touch on these topics.

You never see a current affairs topic get it's own discussion on the show unless it is in the context of how it affects or is affected by sport or sports people.

Having show hosts who aren't interested in or capable of discussing items apart from purely within a sports context would not help the discussion on sporting matters which have a strong current affairs involvement.

I don't think there is any ego involved in how topics are discussed.
    People who are interested in sport are more than capable of being interested in other topics and so often we see the worlds overlap. Marcus Rashfords efforts and Ian Wrights experience this summer for example.

Particularly at this moment when Covid-19, government regulations, societies expectations etc all have such an influence on sport, it would be ignorant to not have the conversation touch on these topics.

You never see a current affairs topic get it's own discussion on the show unless it is in the context of how it affects or is affected by sport or sports people.

Having show hosts who aren't interested in or capable of discussing items apart from purely within a sports context would not help the discussion on sporting matters which have a strong current affairs involvement.

Thanks for the reply. If that's how you interpreted my post then I didn't articulate myself very well. Apologies.

Of course, it's essential that the show's hosts are able to put stories into their cultural context and to understand and be interested in what is happening in the world around them in order to explore and understand these topics. I would have thought that goes without saying.

What I was trying to say that is that I find that those who annoy me are the ones that fail to wear their learning lightly. They are too eager to show off the other strings to their bow and to shoehorn their opinions on such matters into the story. What they think doesn't matter - that's why they have guests and experts on the show. It is their questioning and marshalling of a conversation that is the best way to show to us the listener how much they understand the story and can place it in the correct context. McDevitt on Second Captains is a master at this; Gilroy and Molloy not so much.

I find the best hosts are the ones who do not let their ego get in the way. The ones that wear their learning lightly and don't feel the need to riff and share their thoughts and opinions on such matters because they innately understand that they do not matter as they are not part of the story. I don't see that much in the current OTB set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I would still go back to the fact that there has literally been no sport on for the last five months, so if they did step over their brief in to other areas not normally part of the remit of the show, then I would cut them some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Has Kilbane finished up with them altogether now? I know he left to do dancing on Ice but hasn't been on much since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

pc7 wrote: »
    mod note

Did anyone read the previous mod note? Honestly take the talk to pm’s, no more on thread stuff. I don’t want to lock this but if it isnt about the show leave it to pm’s. Back to discussing the topics/interviews etc

The one where you said you didn't actually read the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

cms88 wrote: »
    The one where you said you didn't actually read the posts?

I read the reported posts but didn’t go pages back for context, so I gave everyone a pass against my better judgement it seems. I won’t be discussing mod decisions on thread again so leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Has Kilbane finished up with them altogether now? I know he left to do dancing on Ice but hasn't been on much since

He said he was moving to Canada with his new fiancée after Christmas I think I remember him saying.

I think Damien Delaney is doing a great job as a soccer analyst. Likeable and knowledgeable fella and has a great insight seen as he is only recently retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Yeah, Delaney much better replacement for Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What I was trying to say that is that I find that those who annoy me are the ones that fail to wear their learning lightly. They are too eager to show off the other strings to their bow and to shoehorn their opinions on such matters into the story. What they think doesn't matter - that's why they have guests and experts on the show. It is their questioning and marshalling of a conversation that is the best way to show to us the listener how much they understand the story and can place it in the correct context. McDevitt on Second Captains is a master at this; Gilroy and Molloy not so much.

I find the best hosts are the ones who do not let their ego get in the way. The ones that wear their learning lightly and don't feel the need to riff and share their thoughts and opinions on such matters because they innately understand that they do not matter as they are not part of the story. I don't see that much in the current OTB set-up.

Great post and bang on the money. A presenter has to be impartial to maintain credibility. McDevitt and Molloy are meticulously researched and can never be accused of not being on top of their brief. Where Molloy fails is in his tendency to buy in to the popular narrative at times which can come across as contrived.

Gilroy is a different story. He always comes across as someone who can't be bothered to read his brief and instead goes on a monologue intended to induce clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Aidric wrote: »
    Great post and bang on the money. A presenter has to be impartial to maintain credibility. McDevitt and Molloy are meticulously researched and can never be accused of not being on top of their brief. Where Molloy fails is in his tendency to buy in to the popular narrative at times which can come across as contrived.

Gilroy is a different story. He always comes across as someone who can't be bothered to read his brief and instead goes on a monologue intended to induce clicks.

Agree on Molloy though his paranoia at inciting a lawsuit often gives me a chuckle: “The accusations that we are talking about in relation to Athlete X are thus far unfounded, I repeat, we have had no substantive evidence that Athlete X has done anything wrong; to be clear, we are not accusing Athlete X of any wrongdoing”.

Rinse and repeat any time Athlete X (who, I should mention, has not yet been found guilty) is mentioned for the remainder of the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Agree on Molloy though his paranoia at inciting a lawsuit often gives me a chuckle: “The accusations that we are talking about in relation to Athlete X are thus far unfounded, I repeat, we have had no substantive evidence that Athlete X has done anything wrong; to be clear, we are not accusing Athlete X of any wrongdoing”.

Rinse and repeat any time Athlete X (who, I should mention, has not yet been found guilty) is mentioned for the remainder of the piece.

Standard procedure these days although given his employer the sense is probably heightened.

BPKS wrote: »
    He said he was moving to Canada with his new fiancée after Christmas I think I remember him saying.

I think Damien Delaney is doing a great job as a soccer analyst. Likeable and knowledgeable fella and has a great insight seen as he is only recently retired.

Delaney has been a superb addition. Was slow to get going but has really found his feet and, as you say, comes across as likeable and well grounded.

While there hasn't been much Irish football to talk about of late, I miss hearing from Dan McDonnell, who is hands down the best regular contributor to the show. He's so well informed and measured in his contributions, and you can't help but like him for ripping the piss out of Johnny Ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Delaney has been a superb addition. Was slow to get going but has really found his feet and, as you say, comes across as likeable and well grounded.

While there hasn't been much Irish football to talk about of late, I miss hearing from Dan McDonnell, who is hands down the best regular contributor to the show. He's so well informed and measured in his contributions, and you can't help but like him for ripping the piss out of Johnny Ward!

Agreed on Dan, he’s definitely my favourite contributor to the show.

I like Joe Molloy as a broadcaster but do find him a bit spineless on certain issues at times.

However, I think he deserves huge credit for his stance on the James McClean story. He's consistently strong on the issue and is not afraid to call out some of the latent hypocrisy that McClean has had to deal with over the years and now in the context of racism in football.

It's a tricky topic to navigate for obvious reasons but he hit all the right notes, covered all the angles without diminishing anything to do with the BLM movement, last night so credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I like Joe Molloy as a broadcaster but do find him a bit spineless on certain issues at times.

However, I think he deserves huge credit for his stance on the James McClean story. He's consistently strong on the issue and is not afraid to call out some of the latent hypocrisy that McClean has had to deal with over the years and now in the context of racism in football.

It's a tricky topic to navigate for obvious reasons but he hit all the right notes, covered all the angles without diminishing anything to do with the BLM movement, last night so credit where it's due.

What did he say? Please tell me he is ok with McLean making his own choices on what insignia he wears on his jersey? That would raise him up in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What did he say? Please tell me he is ok with McLean making his own choices on what insignia he wears on his jersey? That would raise him up in my estimation.

Basically said he agrees with what McClean says and that he always explains himself very well in interviews but some of the stuff on social media just fuels the idiots who are abusing him in the first place. Hard to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Acosta

Very annoying that talentless muck like The Coronas and other boy next door ****e is being pushed by their PR companies onto shows like OTB since lockdown. There's a reason OTB is the only thing on radio I listen to and never have 2fm etc on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Antrim Mount rushmore was an absolute joke. Always have to shoehorn a GAA head onto it.

An Antrim hurler over Carl Frampton (2/3 weight world champ) or Hurricane Higgins.

Surprised they didnt find a ladies footballer.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Antrim Mount rushmore was an absolute joke. Always have to shoehorn a GAA head onto it.

An Antrim hurler over Carl Frampton (2/3 weight world champ) or Hurricane Higgins.

Surprised they didnt find a ladies footballer.

They literally spent at least 20 minutes talking about how difficult it was and how much stick they would get for their choices. To call something an absolute joke with subjective opinions being the basis for the final selection is taking it too seriously.

They even acknowledged with 2 GAA contributors helping to make the choices they were surprised there wasn't actually more GAA people on it.

The whole Mount Rushmore series has been an excellent slot throughout Covid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Haven’t listened much at all over last few months but listened to Lizzie Lee interview on podcast. Really good and worth a listen if you missed it.

• Advertisement

Haven’t listened much at all over last few months but listened to Lizzie Lee interview on podcast. Really good and worth a listen if you missed it.

Lizzie is an interesting character. Not everyone's cup of tea for obvious reasons. I would say she doesn't lack in confidence and is not the most self aware person in the world but more power to her if she makes it to the Olympics at 40.

To be honest, I found the interview cringeworthy and I'm not sure Joe knew how to handle her as she just took off and he didn't need to ask her any questions. Her affected Cork accent is up there with Ronan O'Gara's - neither speaks remotely like that in real life!

I enjoyed it, fair fooks to her out running with three young kids. Found it interesting in that she came late to the sport and has done well. I like how she gets herself up and stays motivated. I’m struggling with couch to 5k ;)

I enjoyed it, fair fooks to her out running with three young kids. Found it interesting in that she came late to the sport and has done well. I like how she gets herself up and stays motivated. I’m struggling with couch to 5k ;)

Absolutely. She's a phenomenal athlete and the commitment and drive she has is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Aidric wrote: »

Absolutely. Ger was awful trying to discuss James McClean's comments on tuesday.
    He was stuttering non stop, with lots of long pauses and couldnt make his point.
    I guess Ger just wanted to tell James to cop on.
    Eoin tried to rescue him and said it was poor timing.

The comments on the youtube video say it all. Comical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Absolutely. Ger was awful trying to discuss James McClean's comments on tuesday.
    He was stuttering non stop, with lots of long pauses and couldnt make his point.

Could only watch a few minutes of it. Pure trash. When did Gillette sart sponsoring on YouTube stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Can you link that?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can you link that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FawCV_Ucg0

Comical that the main man now thanked my post, haha. Richie might do so also.
    Sound lads!

Comical that the main man now thanked my post, haha. Richie might do so also.
    Sound lads!

It's more comical that people who hate the show are now giving up more of their time to watch it on YouTube.

Whatever the show is doing, they should keep at it.

It's more comical that people who hate the show are now giving up more of their time to watch it on YouTube.

Whatever the show is doing, they should keep at it.

Where did I say I hate the show?
    I just dislike ger. I dont have to love everything about otb.

Dry your eyes. Sorry for offending you.
    You dont have to defend everything to do with newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think at this stage its fairly obvious that Ger Gilroy is going down the route of Joe Brolly and Eamon Dunphy before him.

Take a particular stance, back it to the hilt (no matter how foolish it makes you look at times), be as obnoxious and dismissive as you can to those who hold a different view.

I wonder is it an act that is designed to keep him relevant and to boost ratings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement