Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

That's up there with 'sure the NFL can't be racist, most players are black'.

You obviously deliberately decided ignore the point being made.

The poster said "then I've heard it all before" which is true for a lot of people as the racism in sport topic is discussed constantly over the last few weeks months and years and eventually hearing the same thing over and over again gets boring so it's understandable why someone might decide to change the channel when that discussion comes up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Not that many but growing. It’s not Briggs per se that I’d have the issue with on that selection. She’s good at what she does and has achieved plenty in her domain. My issue is that if picking a Waterford Mount Rushmore, you go and omit any player from the only sport that really matters in the county. And you do it because you are OTB and you are compelled to forcibly hammer women’s sport down your listenership’s throat. Then you include someone whose sister is on the judging panel to make it even more farcical. For the record, Tom Barr is a fantastic athlete who achieved a brilliant fourth place finish in his event at the last Olympics. He might well have more to add to that so his career could yet be legendary. But it isn’t yet and John Mullane, Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan, even Paul Flynn, are Waterford folk heroes who will go down as some of the greatest hurlers the county ever produced. And not one made the list!!!

These Mount Rushmore segments should take into account the impact the person has had on the county not just sporting achievement you can't have a Waterford Mount Rushmore without including one of the great hurlers of the past 20 years it's about the only sport in that country that brings everyone together.No disrespect to her but nobody will remember Niamh Briggs career whereas nobody will forget the likes of Flynn, McGrath, Browne, Shanahan and Mullane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Kimmage wont appear on any Communicorp stations until they lift their ban on IT journalists appearing from what I've read. A lot more journalists should be doing the same imo but its easy money thats hard turn down I suppose

Kimmage is with Irish Independent not the Irish Times so shouldn't affect him?. Perhaps he hasn't been on since his last appearance, can't recall when it was, but he went off on a intense rant, with possibly a profanity thrown in. He's a loose cannon and Joe et al. can't control him so unlikely to hear him again. Always enjoyed his contributions, may not agree with his views and he does tend to labour a point, but at least he speaks freely and is unafraid to offend. The paper review contributors now are absolutely woeful, yesterday's episode was a new low and made me pine for someone like Kimmage or Gary O'Toole.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Kimmage is with Irish Independent not the Irish Times so shouldn't affect him?. Perhaps he hasn't been on since his last appearance, can't recall when it was, but he went off on a intense rant, with possibly a profanity thrown in. He's a loose cannon and Joe et al. can't control him so unlikely to hear him again. Always enjoyed his contributions, may not agree with his views and he does tend to labour a point, but at least he speaks freely and is unafraid to offend. The paper review contributors now are absolutely woeful, yesterday's episode was a new low and made me pine for someone like Kimmage or Gary O'Toole.

I’d agree with your Kimmage assessment except that he only has one topic he is capable of talking about. If the conversation is not about doping, it will invariably gravitate there. I think the man falls asleep by imagining doping cyclists in the way we’d imagine sheep jumping fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

cmac2009 wrote: »

I know that, its his choice as he doesn't agree with DOB banning his colleagues from the IT from being on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I’d agree with your Kimmage assessment except that he only has one topic he is capable of talking about. If the conversation is not about doping, it will invariably gravitate there. I think the man falls asleep by imagining doping cyclists in the way we’d imagine sheep jumping fences.

I'd disagree with that assertion, he has spoken in depth on numerous sporting topics when he's been on and I've always found his views compelling and insightful. Yes, sports doping gets him riled up and he frequently makes unsubstantiated claims which can become tiresome, but I'm willing to give him a pass on that as obviously it's a topic that has dominated his life, and his contributions on a whole are overwhelmingly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I think most of their lists were put together in the fear that they would end up with four males faces on the mountain and suffer a backlash on Twitter as a result. Which, to be fair, is probably what would have happened.

Colm Cooper didn’t make the Kerry one - arguable the greatest gaa player of all time - because the need to put a female on it. Although she had an impressive list of honours, it was a bit baffling. Needless to say the lads were drooling over the prospect, think it was Ger encouraging Donaghy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Colm Cooper didn’t make the Kerry one - arguable the greatest gaa player of all time - because the need to put a female on it. Although she had an impressive list of honours, it was a bit baffling. Needless to say the lads were drooling over the prospect, think it was Ger encouraging Donaghy to do it.

Exactly.

Gooch was on the original list and then he got shafted in favour of a ladies footballer who played in an era when the standard of that sport was muck.

Of course Paul Galvin had to stick his oar in as well - throwing in a few crazy nominations (a hurler and a ladies footballer and rugby player) in favour of "democracy" as he called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Hopefully the ban continues for some time then. One dimensional does not begin to describe that man. I’m pretty sure he’s thinking about doping right now.

Have found Gerry Thornleys absence to be far more welcoming to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Fck me, did any conversations about actual sport break out at all today? There was more virtue signalling nonsense (unbelievably of a sporting variety) yesterday when they refused to include Sean Kelly, arguably Ireland’s greatest ever cyclist, on the County Waterford Mount Rushmore things they’ve been doing. You see to keep up with his European competitors, it is thought that Sean took a substance or two in an effort to ensure he didn’t fade in obscurity in the cycling pecking order. Oddly, their regular contributor Paul Kimmage also engaged in such behaviour but is nonetheless welcomed on the show with open arms on a regular basis, ironically, to talk about that very topic. Even more ironically, it’s all he ever talks about. The man eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes doping.

Wasn't it a Can of Cidona that was Kelly's secret weapon?!

He undoubtedly should have topped that list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Kimmage wont appear on any Communicorp stations until they lift their ban on IT journalists appearing from what I've read. A lot more journalists should be doing the same imo but its easy money thats hard turn down I suppose

Moncrieff started writing a column for The Irish Times not long after the ban was put in place. In can only have been his way of protesting the decision. I'm surprised he got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

If ye thought the Waterford Mount Rushmore was joke the Kilkenny selection was beyond ridiculous

Angela Downey
    Willie Mullins
    DJ Carey
    Willie Duggan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kimmage has been on OTB during the IT ban, I think at least twice. It's only a recent enough thing were he's decided to not go on OTB due to the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Heres my Mount Rushmore of the worst/annoying OTB pundits of all time

1 Ger Gilroy
    2 Richie McCormack
    3 Brian O Driscoll
    4 Keith Wood
    5 Ger Gilroy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I wonder does Joe Molloy secretly detest Ger Gilroy?

I'd say there is a bit of loathing there both ways. Ger loathing Joe for being far better than him at his job, and Joe loathing Ger for having to faux kiss his arse in most segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

deisedude wrote: »
    If ye thought the Waterford Mount Rushmore was joke the Kilkenny selection was beyond ridiculous

Angela Downey
    Willie Mullins
    DJ Carey
    Willie Duggan

Is there a gender quota for each county I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Top billing on the show tonight - a discussion on John Mitchell -

Absolute tripe as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

BPKS wrote: »
    Is there a gender quota for each county I wonder?

As had already been said Donaghy was pretty much made take the Gooch out of his and replace with a female.

One thing that actually surprises me it OTB don't have a female host at this state

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

1 Ger Gilroy
    2 Richie McCormack
    3 Brian O Driscoll
    4 Keith Wood
    5 Ger Gilroy

Johnny Ward surely must get an honourable mention.

statesaver wrote: »

Not for me. Think Johny Ward is a bit mad but his heart is in the right place and he doesnt take himself too seriously. Plus he loves the Irish football league and GAA and dislikes rugby like myself. Himself and Dan McDonmel work well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

1 Ger Gilroy
    2 Richie McCormack
    3 Brian O Driscoll
    4 Keith Wood
    5 Ger Gilroy

BOD is more suited to telly discussing tactics. He sounds like Leo on radio. Varadkar not Cullen!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What a soft interview Molloy has here with some English boxing journalist. This journo calling this cartel scumbag 'Daniel' all the time like their good pals. Basically saying there's little or no chance this fight wont go ahead and saying there's always been dodgy characters in boxing and thats just the way it is. Vomit inducing stuff. But outside of Dublin/Ireland people dont seem to give a damn about cancer kinahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What a soft interview Molloy has here with some English boxing journalist. This journo calling this cartel scumbag 'Daniel' all the time like their good pals. Basically saying there's little or no chance this fight wont go ahead and saying there's always been dodgy characters in boxing and thats just the way it is. Vomit inducing stuff. But outside of Dublin/Ireland people dont seem to give a damn about cancer kinahan.

There's people on this thread who aren't bothered about him.

There's people on this thread who aren't bothered about him.

There's a lot of people here in Dublin sickened by whats going on too. Hopefully the law catches up with this person and he gets punished for all the misery he's caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's a lot of people here in Dublin sickened by whats going on too. Hopefully the law catches up with this person and he gets punished for all the misery he's caused.

Hopefully one of his minions doesn't try to make a name for themselves by targeting a journalist before that happens.

Hopefully one of his minions doesn't try to make a name for themselves by targeting a journalist before that happens.

Of course. Anything is possible. Only really Kieran Cunningham of the sports journalists here has been consistent from the start about this. Obviously the crime journalists have always been on kinahans case. Especially Nicolla Tallant. But as much as targeting a journalist would be a simple thing to do for someone like this and he'd no doubt love to do something to shut them up even he knows the public backlash wouldn't be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Oh Tris Dixon, I've seen him interviewing people online, he has his own YouTube channel, seems to be very well respected by the boxers.

However, being respected by the boxing fraternity is not indicative of your morals being up to the OTB standard. And we do know at this stage that OTB judge other people from the position of looking down their nose, from a high horse, sitting atop an ivory tower.

I do agree with them on this one though, and their moral stance for once is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah Johnny is class lad!! If its LoI, Irish international football or Horse racing has great to listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

And Cliona Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

The Premier league restarts tomorrow so I tuned in at 9 to hear the soccer show.
    First item up, the extension of the free school meals in the UK.
    I wouldn't have thought this had much relevance or interest to an Irish audience and whatever happened to keeping politics and sport separate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement