Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

cms88 wrote: »
    Is Second Captains still a thing?

Incredibly successful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

cms88 wrote: »
    Is Second Captains still a thing?

Think of it as sort of what Off The Ball thinks it is, only without the constant ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Any time I listen to Stephen Doyle I feel he has a sheet full of stats beside him and ticks them off as he goes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

OTB are interviewing Neal Richmond about Daniel Kinehan this morning. Brave boys to cover the story, when a lot of the Irish media are simply looking the other way. I am one of their biggest critics for their focus on identity over sport, but they should be commended for covering the story.

I find the story baffling really. Can't understand how Daniel Kinehan wants to put himself out in the open. I mean will he be attending the press conferences? Will he be attending the fights? Surely that would be a security nightmare to try to keep him safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

OTB are interviewing Neal Richmond about Daniel Kinehan this morning. Brave boys to cover the story, when a lot of the Irish media are simply looking the other way. I am one of their biggest critics for their focus on identity over sport, but they should be commended for covering the story.

I find the story baffling really. Can't understand how Daniel Kinehan wants to put himself out in the open. I mean will he be attending the press conferences? Will he be attending the fights? Surely that would be a security nightmare to try to keep him safe?

I dont think he ever leaves the Middle East from what they were saying on another show so all the fights he organises will be out there. Cant see Andy Lee appearing on the show again any time soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I dont think he ever leaves the Middle East from what they were saying on another show so all the fights he organises will be out there. Cant see Andy Lee appearing on the show again any time soon

Yeah I was wondering the same thing about Andy Lee.

Andy is (was?) a regular when I used to listen most days before sports stopped.

He also seemed to genuinely get on well with the hosts.

Off Topic - I downloaded the new OTB Sports app the other day. Finding it a bit of a pain to get my way around it, could just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I agree, they are brave and even more so that they are adopting a highly critical tone. I did laugh, though, at their indignation; they want the world to think like them and when it doesn't, they get awfully irate and despondent! Bob Arum, for example, couldn't give two sh1ts about their moral outrage and because boxing is already in the gutter, OTB calling him out doesn't really get any traction. Very similar to Stuart Pearce using, I believe, the word 'poof' on OTB; a harmless term that would make any OTB host jump out of his or her (see what I did there?!) skin. Because Pearce wouldn't care about such a thing, neither does anyone else and I believe this Kinahan scenario will be the same. I for one will watch the fight. I know little of Kinahan other than he is supposed to be some "bad man" but his involvement in no way turns me off. If anything, well done for brokering the fight, it should be a good one. OTB, Kimmage, Kieran Cunningham et al. can continue to cry about it. It will count for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I agree, they are brave and even more so that they are adopting a highly critical tone. I did laugh, though, at their indignation; they want the world to think like them and when it doesn't, they get awfully irate and despondent! Bob Arum, for example, couldn't give two sh1ts about their moral outrage and because boxing is already in the gutter, OTB calling him out doesn't really get any traction. Very similar to Stuart Pearce using, I believe, the word 'poof' on OTB; a harmless term that would make any OTB host jump out of his or her (see what I did there?!) skin. Because Pearce wouldn't care about such a thing, neither does anyone else and I believe this Kinahan scenario will be the same. I for one will watch the fight. I know little of Kinahan other than he is supposed to be some "bad man" but his involvement in no way turns me off. If anything, well done for brokering the fight, it should be a good one. OTB, Kimmage, Kieran Cunningham et al. can continue to cry about it. It will count for nothing.

...and your moaning on here counts for something?

:pac:

Andy is too busy to appear on OTB anyway. Premiering tonight. Andy Lee will have to decide which colours he wants to wear at this stage. I would say that Ger Gilroy had some interesting conversations with Andy Lee in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

:pac:

Andy is too busy to appear on OTB anyway. Premiering tonight. Andy Lee will have to decide which colours he wants to wear at this stage. I would say that Ger Gilroy had some interesting conversations with Andy Lee in the past few weeks.

Andy appeared on Second Captains a few weeks back and when I saw that my immediate thought was, 'I wonder what's going on with OTB'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure the rest of the media are looking the other way, other than the Olympics boxing doesn't really register. Take the Regency killing, if the shooting hadn't of happened would the event have gotten any airtime or coverage in the papers? It might have gotten a small article in one or two papers but no airtime at all imo.

Starting to see why OTB having principled positions on anything is so annoying to some when they are ok with someone who has likely authorised the murder of over a dozen people being heavily involved in sports promotion.

Ahwell wrote: »
    ...and your moaning on here counts for something?

Where did I imply that it does? Why would I have an expectation that it would? What in the world are you talking about?

Starting to see why OTB having principled positions on anything is so annoying to some when they are ok with someone who has likely authorised the murder of over a dozen people being heavily involved in sports promotion.

Firstly, I’m not necessarily ok with it if that’s what you are saying (I think you are?). Secondly, not being ok with it doesn’t prevent me watching the fight. I’ll be in good company. Thirdly, I said I’m not overly familiar with the activities of Daniel Kinahan but I would presume that if you are in “that game” (crime, not boxing) you and your rivals understand the terms of engagement. They brutalise each other and it’s an accepted fact that criminal lives will be lost. Targeted civilians, or those civilians caught in the crossfire is a totally different matter, though I’m not certain as to whether or not that has occurred. Maybe that Regency hotel incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Where did I imply imply that it does? Why would I have an expectation that it would? What in the world are you talking about?

Where did they imply that their coverage of this story would count for something and why would they have an expectation that it would?

Firstly, I’m not necessarily ok with it if that’s what you are saying (I think you are?). Secondly, not being ok with it doesn’t prevent me watching the fight. I’ll be in good company. Thirdly, I said I’m not overly familiar with the activities of Daniel Kinahan but I would presume that if you are in “that game” (crime, not boxing) you and your rivals understand the terms of engagement. They brutalise each other and it’s an accepted fact that criminal lives will be lost. Targeted civilians, or those civilians caught in the crossfire is a totally different matter, though I’m not certain as to whether or not that has occurred. Maybe that Regency hotel incident?

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1270743604294750208

I heard Adrian Barry and Eoin Sheahan this morning and I really think they need to be careful. Their moralistic editorializing might be fun for getting them metaphorical slaps on the back on Twitter when they talk about Lance Armstrong / Paddy Jackson / Trump or anybody else they don't feel meets their high standards. But this isn't playing games - this is for real. People have been killed by both gangs for nothing.

I hope that they are no so drunk on their previous successes that they think they somehow cannot be touched. It is a difficult line between being a brave journalist and gratuitously painting a target on your back.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Where did they imply that their coverage of this story would count for something and why would they have an expectation that it would?

Sorry, I’m not getting you. You’re incoherent.

He is an Irish Times journalist. (I didn't know until I goggled it).
    Pretty compelling.

I acknowledge that but there is no background, context, circumstances etc. What are the particulars and facts of those conflicts and are they even verifiable? I’m agnostic on this. I never supported the actions of the IRA in killing innocent civilians but this did not occur in a vacuum either and so many variables play into the dynamics of the these feuds, not to mention the likely 10 sides to every story that muddles the facts. I assume Kinahan’s guys carry out operations in his command, hence the clean record but if he were doing anything illegal here he would be reprimanded. The OTB guys mightn’t like it but Daniel Kinahan’s fate will be judged by exactly that - a judge.

• Advertisement

As an aside to this I find the Irish government and its abhorrent links to the Saudi government, which could result in his repatriation, grossly hypocritical. The Saudi regime is despicable and we should have nothing to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Dickus Swiveller

Eoin Sheehan is a right pain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I heard Adrian Barry and Eoin Sheahan this morning and I really think they need to be careful. Their moralistic editorializing might be fun for getting them metaphorical slaps on the back on Twitter when they talk about Lance Armstrong / Paddy Jackson / Trump or anybody else they don't feel meets their high standards. But this isn't playing games - this is for real. People have been killed by both gangs for nothing.

I hope that they are no so drunk on their previous successes that they think they somehow cannot be touched. It is a difficult line between being a brave journalist and gratuitously painting a target on your back.

If any journalist was hurt by one of the Kinahan gang after reporting on it then that's Daniel completely screwed in the rest of the world.

At the moment he can get away with saying he's never been convicted of anything but a journalist getting hurt after reporting on him and it's a very different situation.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If any journalist was hurt by one of the Kinahan gang after reporting on it then that's Daniel completely screwed in the rest of the world.

Yeah I did think about that too, but if they don't care about what he has been doing in his past, and he can distance himself for any such act (by paying off some kid who owes them money), then it would be difficult to tie to him. And they would put it down as just "the irish being agin him, a bunch of begrudgers" - like that interview with the Scottish wan that supposedly took over from him in the organisation.

They can't get fights sanctioned in Ireland anyway so they have nothing to lose with regard to what Ireland thinks of them. On that boxing channel IFL, which is effectively the PR channel for MTK at this stage, they even had a big banner at the start of all their videos to let us know that they had "no comment for Irish media".

That re-watch of the Tyson Fury fight with Andy Lee is now available. Gonna watch it this morning to see if there is any mention of the elephant in the room.

Oh god, Steve Bunce is presenting, ffs. Can not handle his high pitched squawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Tyson Fury comes from a well known traveller criminal family from Manchester who have been involved in drug dealing for a long time. Tyson Fury is a morally corrupt low life who jumped at the chance of linking up with the cancerous daniel Kinahan. It is the perfect recipe for such a disgusting mega bucks deal among scumbags. Andy Lee knows what Tyson Fury is all about. Tyson Fury and his clan are not good people. The perfect sort to link up with cartel boss kinahan and accept his blood money.

Andy Lee knows all about this but like Bob Arrum, Eddie Hearn and all the rest supposed 'decent people' he will turn a blind eye and talk crap about the filthiest fight in history while so many people who like boxing can see it for what it is and like the Star newspaper will refuse to listen to any radio talk or tv that have anything to do with this show of scumbaggery. Any person with a modicum of self respect will avoid anything and everything to do with this sham event and give no oxygen to these parasites. That should include the like of Andy Lee but i wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Tyson Fury comes from a well known traveller criminal family from Manchester who have been involved in drug dealing for a long time. Tyson Fury is a morally corrupt low life who jumped at the chance of linking up with the cancerous daniel Kinahan. It is the perfect recipe for such a disgusting mega bucks deal among scumbags. Andy Lee knows what Tyson Fury is all about. Tyson Fury and his clan are not good people. The perfect sort to link up with cartel boss kinahan and accept his blood money.

Andy Lee knows all about this but like Bob Arrum, Eddie Hearn and all the rest supposed 'decent people' he will turn a blind eye and talk crap about the filthiest fight in history while so many people who like boxing can see it for what it is and like the Star newspaper will refuse to listen to any radio talk or tv that have anything to do with this show of scumbaggery. Any person with a modicum of self respect will avoid anything and everything to do with this sham event and give no oxygen to these parasites. That should include the like of Andy Lee but i wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Again I’m largely ignorant to much of this other than being aware of broad statements but if Andy Lee (who I quite like) is involved to that extent, I would expect, but not hope, that OTB will be as sanctimonious, disapproving and condescending to him as they would be to a Lance Armstrong or a Pat McQuaid, or any other person who is “bad” in their eyes. And that doesn’t just mean silence on their part. It means Ger and his mates coming out and explicitly condemning Andy’s behaviour and associations. Why do I get the feeling they won’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This is truly appalling radio. Clíodhna Foley and Hector whatever his name is. I’m not even sure what it’s supposed to be or what they are discussing. Is it the paper review?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

This is truly appalling radio. Clíodhna Foley and Hector whatever his name is. I’m not even sure what it’s supposed to be or what they are discussing. Is it the paper review?

Worst Paper Review in a long time.

• Advertisement

Worst Paper Review in a long time.

What topics?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement