Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I don't like Ger Gilroy so I don't watch listen to their morning show, so i like to listen in at 7 on the radio when hopefully Joe Molloy is presenting or Nathan Murphy at a push. But one of the days they had Gilroy on asking him for his opinion on something or another I immediately turned it off. He is such a turn off when compared to Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Did one of the lads on the 2010 World Cup review say that he was appalled by the Henry handball and would like to think if Ireland did that we wouldn’t accept it or along those lines, yet was completely fine with Suarez’s handball in the 1/4 final? And had no problem with it?

Enjoyed the review nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Did one of the lads on the 2010 World Cup review say that he was appalled by the Henry handball and would like to think if Ireland did that we wouldn’t accept it or along those lines, yet was completely fine with Suarez’s handball in the 1/4 final? And had no problem with it?

That was Johny Ward. It was bizarre as nearly in the same breath as saying the Irish wouldn't do anything like what Henry did they were talking about the Leinster football final being on the same day as the 2010 World Cup Final. The same Leinster Final where Sheridan cheated exactly like Henry, celebrated wildly after hoodwinking the ref. And cheating Louth out of a deserved Leinster title. And Meath fans lapped it up and didnt give a damn about any 'injustice'. Yes indeed. The virtuous Irish the most morally upstanding nation in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty sure Robbie Keane dived for a penalty against Georgia in that campaign.
    I had OTB on the other night and it was Brian O'Driscoll and someone else banging on about the time we beat France in Paris in 2000. I'd rather listen to paint dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I had OTB on the other night and it was Brian O'Driscoll and someone else banging on about the time we beat France in Paris in 2000. I'd rather listen to paint dry.

For someone who was such a good player, I've never warmed to O'Driscoll as a pundit.
    He's stories are always filtered so as not to cause a stir or upset anyone and his analysis suffers in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Whether you like it or not and many will disagree, there are varying degrees of cheating. A striker going down in the box looking for an edge in what could be a potentially bad challenge and taking advantage of this is not comparable to a deliberate handball.

Excellent piece with Damien Delaney and Joe the other day. DD has always come across as likeable and relatable, as well as giving great insight. Hope he is a permanent for CL nights when they resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Badabing wrote: »
    I don't like Ger Gilroy so I don't watch listen to their morning show, so i like to listen in at 7 on the radio when hopefully Joe Molloy is presenting or Nathan Murphy at a push. But one of the days they had Gilroy on asking him for his opinion on something or another I immediately turned it off. He is such a turn off when compared to Molloy.

I do not know anyone that likes ger. How he got the job and retains it I just dont understand?
    The way he speaks to people is horrible. He is always right no matter what.
    He is very obnoxious.

Excellent piece with Damien Delaney and Joe the other day. DD has always come across as likeable and relatable, as well as giving great insight. Hope he is a permanent for CL nights when they resume.

Damien was brilliant. The interview flew in.
    The only negative is, I felt he could have went into deeper details when he was at crystal palace. But maybe time was against them.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    The only negative is, I felt he could have went into deeper details when he was at crystal palace. But maybe time was against them.

I was actually thinking at the end of it that they could have easily gone on for another hour. Would’ve liked him to have gone more in depth about Hodgson too. But as you say, I’d say time was against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I do not know anyone that likes ger. How he got the job and retains it I just dont understand?
    He is very obnoxious.

What is it with Ger Gilroy that winds so many people up the wrong way? Rarely heard any good word about him. He's just so unlikeable. Comes across as a smarmy, smart ass with a perpetual condescending tone. I rarely listen in to Off The Ball anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

He is very obnoxious.

I think Ger got the job because he created Off The Ball (with, I believe, Ken Early) back when Newstalk started as a Dublin station.

Before that sports coverage in Ireland was largely the RTE grown up and serious type. They brought a bit of craic to it.

He keeps his job becase, I believe, he is Managing Director of Off The Ball.

What is it with Ger Gilroy that winds so many people up the wrong way? Rarely heard any good word about him. He's just so unlikeable. Comes across as a smarmy, smart ass with a perpetual condescending tone. I rarely listen in to Off The Ball anymore.
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think Ger got the job because he created Off The Ball (with, I believe, Ken Early) back when Newstalk started as a Dublin station.

Before that sports coverage in Ireland was largely the RTE grown up and serious type. They brought a bit of craic to it.

I don't mind him. I prefer Nathan and Joe but don't think Ger is as bad as some make out.

As Donie said, he set up the show originally and expanded it in recent years in to the weekends, the morning show, outside broadcasts, podcasts etc and all of this probably is still a factor in him being able to still present so much but even if he wasn't the boss, I don't think he is undeserving of the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yep, that's what it says on his twitter bio. It struck me as being a really odd title when I first saw it. It kind of implies that Off The Ball is a separate entity from Newstalk, but it isn't.

I think it was more of the case that Gilroy created OTB and Ken was a mate who he gave a start to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Ahwell wrote: »
    Yep, that's what it says on his twitter bio. It struck me as being a really odd title when I first saw it. It kind of implies that Off The Ball is a separate entity from Newstalk, but it isn't.

I think it was more of the case that Gilroy created OTB and Ken was a mate who he gave a start to.

I might be wrong but i think it actaully is a separate thing to Newstalk now, it's just still on Newstalk

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

cms88 wrote: »
    I might be wrong but i think it actaully is a separate thing to Newstalk now, it's just still on Newstalk

Yeah it’s just another brand for Communicorp but, as you said, it’s still broadcast on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Cheers, I didn't know that, apparently it's one of Communicorp's "media channels".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I thought it was funny yesterday.

Kieran Cunningham was on yesterday talking about the involvement of Kinehan in MTK and how it seemed that in a time when the sports departments were crying out for ANY story to write about, none of them were willing to cover it. After a long contribution from Kieran Cunningham, where he bravely set out the situation as it is, Joe passes across to Maire Treasa who refused to say anything about MTK and said that "the real issue here is how other boxers who are not with MTK are not treated properly". I'd say Kieran Cunningham was throwing his hat at the radio.

I've always thought Kieran Cunningham was a bit of a comedy figure on the show, but he's got my respect for bravely covering this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Kieran Cunningham was on yesterday talking about the involvement of Kinehan in MTK and how it seemed that in a time when the sports departments were crying out for ANY story to write about, none of them were willing to cover it. After a long contribution from Kieran Cunningham, where he bravely set out the situation as it is, Joe passes across to Maire Treasa who refused to say anything about MTK and said that "the real issue here is how other boxers who are not with MTK are not treated properly". I'd say Kieran Cunningham was throwing his hat at the radio.

I've always thought Kieran Cunningham was a bit of a comedy figure on the show, but he's got my respect for bravely covering this story.

Just listening back and it was covered very poorly, her contributions on it were shocking. Joe sounded terrified to even be talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Although I'm not a fan of Cunningham, his coverage of this issue has been excellent. He was also on The Stand podcast recently, I'd recommend it. As for Marie Treasa, she comes across nice, but is obviously way out of her depth when dealing with non-GAA topics. I understand that OTB, being champions of equality and diversity, need a woman on to maintain balance, but at least get someone who is knowledgeable across a range of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Maire Teresa managed to deflect the issue of the Daniel Kinehan story not being covered - when asked about it she said it was because sports departments in Irish journalism had been decimated in recent years.

Really? There must be about 15 people employed/contracted by OTB alone. Not to mention Marty Morrissey, Des Cahill et al.

I must seek out Cunningham's coverage of MTK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kinehan is scum who has gotten his money from destroying peoples lives with drugs

To be fair to journalists there could be potential dangerous ramifications for them and their families from talking badly about that pr1ck than just the threat of a lawsuit

Kieran has had some direct interactions with some people associated with MTK over the last few weeks. I think it is a case of he has been kinda pulled in to the story more so than diving in himself but maybe I am wrong. Maybe those interactions were because of him starting to ask questions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Maire did say she didn't know much about boxing which is fair for many sports journalists. Outside the Olympics it doesn't get much attention and with MTK banning any Southern Irish journalist is hard to know what the journalists are meant to do.

Her point about those types of stories being moved away from the sports deck was also fair. The Kinihan - Hutch story has been covered a lot.

I thought Cunningham was a bit over the top in his criticism.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Maire did say she didn't know much about boxing which is fair for many sports journalists. Outside the Olympics it doesn't get much attention and with MTK banning any Southern Irish journalist is hard to know what the journalists are meant to do.

Her point about those types of stories being moved away from the sports deck was also fair. The Kinihan - Hutch story has been covered a lot.

I thought Cunningham was a bit over the top in his criticism.

While I agree the Hutch-Kinahan stories are moved away to the news desks, very few of them ever spoke about MTK.

Sports desks consistently ignored the MTK link to many boxers. Think Fury, Conlan, Frampton. Not once was their decision to sign with MTK questioned or anything about Daniel Kinahan put to them.

And when the MTK ban on media outlets talking to their fighters, they just went along with it.

Cunningham is absolutely right in what he says. It’s time these lads stop being championed and were held to account.

Eddie Hearn, Sky and BT have a lot of questions to answer as well that they even bother doing business with this scumbag.

The fùckin Diouff and Heskey ad bit is enough to make me switch off. Again.

There are few things in sport as irritating as bloodsucking leeches engaging in banter that sounds every bit the invented-in-a-meeting-of-marketing-graduates nonsense it is.

Faugheen wrote: »
    While I agree the Hutch-Kinahan stories are moved away to the news desks, very few of them ever spoke about MTK.

Sports desks consistently ignored the MTK link to many boxers. Think Fury, Conlan, Frampton. Not once was their decision to sign with MTK questioned or anything about Daniel Kinahan put to them.

And when the MTK ban on media outlets talking to their fighters, they just went along with it.

Cunningham is absolutely right in what he says. It’s time these lads stop being championed and were held to account.

Eddie Hearn, Sky and BT have a lot of questions to answer as well that they even bother doing business with this scumbag.

Yeah, but it’s always been the way with boxing. Don King a double murderer, not much about that, instead he had his own celebrity status. It’s a sport where generally people come from very disadvantaged backgrounds, they associate with those promoting them their entire lives. They want to be successful, what do you do? Say no, I want Brian O Driscoll and the Foxrock boxing club in my corner? There is not option. MTK is no different, just another company with criminal ties in boxing, Kinahan is just irish, so who cares outside of Ireland who he is in the world of boxing so long as he has the funds to promote

The fùckin Diouff and Heskey ad bit is enough to make me switch off. Again.

There are few things in sport as irritating as bloodsucking leeches engaging in banter that sounds every bit the invented-in-a-meeting-of-marketing-graduates nonsense it is.

The ****in Keith Wood and his endless list of rugby banter is enough for me. I generally avoid Wednesday, he was on tonight with his ‘Quinn’s tales of almighty bants. Wanker.

The ****in Keith Wood and his endless list of rugby banter is enough for me. I generally avoid Wednesday, he was on tonight with his ‘Quinn’s tales of almighty bants. Wanker.

At least Keith Wood has something to do with sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

With Joe.ie etc in trouble at the moment be interesting to see if something like that could happen OTB. It's going a little down that line in recent times. Plus the fact its on 24 hours a day now, or seems like that anyway, will/are people getting sick of it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Get woke go broke !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement