Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

redbuck wrote: »
    I personally know two people who went to Cheltenham and had contracted Corvid 19 within about 10 days of coming home.

Fair enough, but only one was reported in the media. I assume everyone who is tested positive is questioned about their movements in the previous 14 days. If a large amount of people testing positive had been to Cheltenham we would know about it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

redbuck wrote: »
    I personally know two people who went to Cheltenham and had contracted Corvid 19 within about 10 days of coming home.

Discussions around Cheltenham should probably be moved to the main Covid-19 thread(s) where it continues to rumble on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Really enjoyable interview with Jason McAteer just there with Joe.

Harsh to Say he peaked around 22 and spent the rest of his career falling out of nightclubs while taking a wage for his home town club?

Scored against Holland in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Ahwell wrote: »
    Fair enough, but only one was reported in the media. I assume everyone who is tested positive is questioned about their movements in the previous 14 days. If a large amount of people testing positive had been to Cheltenham we would know about it by now.

Oh yeah I'm sure we would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

...because there was only one case reported in Ireland of someone who had been to Cheltenham being diagnosed with Covid-19. If there had been loads the reaction would have been very different. Not that I would single out one presenter would was sent to cover the event. The real culprits are the English and Irish Governments and the The Jockey Club.

Maybe read page 6 of the indo today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

...because there was only one case reported in Ireland of someone who had been to Cheltenham being diagnosed with Covid-19. If there had been loads the reaction would have been very different. Not that I would single out one presenter would was sent to cover the event. The real culprits are the English and Irish Governments and the The Jockey Club.

How is the Irish government culpable? Surely the decision rested solely with English goverment/organisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Harsh to Say he peaked around 22 and spent the rest of his career falling out of nightclubs while taking a wage for his home town club?

Scored against Holland in fairness.

Wasnt it Jason himself said he had peaked between 95-99?

Maybe read page 6 of the indo today

I don't have it, if they are more cases I'm not going to be surprised, but until today I could only find one case. Which did actually surprise me. My point was, why single out John Duggan? Ruby Walsh had the exact same role for 2fm's Game On. johnny ward went, as I'm sure did lots of other journalists.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    How is the Irish government culpable? Surely the decision rested solely with English goverment/organisers?

Simon Coveney said that in his view if Cheltenham had been held in Ireland it would not have gone ahead. They could have, at the very least, advised people not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I don't have it, if they are more cases I'm not going to be surprised, but until today I could only find one case. Which did actually surprise me. My point was, why single out John Duggan? Ruby Walsh had the exact same role for 2fm's Game On. johnny ward went, as I'm sure did lots of other journalists.

I dont know how i can possibly explain to you why i didn't talk about a 2fm presenter on a thread about off the ball and instead mentioned a presenter from off the ball that appeared on multiple newstalk programmes across the day from cheltenham telling everyone how glorious the event was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

I dont know how i can possibly explain to you why i didn't talk about a 2fm presenter on a thread about off the ball and instead mentioned a presenter from off the ball that appeared on multiple newstalk programmes across the day from cheltenham telling everyone how glorious the event was.

In fairness to John Duggan, as the week went on, he acknowledged that it didn’t feel like the festival should still be going on. Listening to him on the Friday morning on the breakfast show, you could hear in his voice that the week had taken its toll on him and the joy was gone out of it for him.

It's a relevant point, you could take it from reading this thread at times that OTB were the sole media outlet which covered Cheltenham.

As I said before here, I think OTB's coverage was likely heavily influenced with contracts which were in place before Covid-19 starting becoming a live issue in Europe.

I'd much rather see no blanket show sponsorship by gambling companies on any media outlet, I think, as others have said here that it is at the very least, ignorant of the challenges which a growing number experience associated with runaway betting habits.

I think gambling does add to an interest in sport and most people can partake without it becoming an issue, but, when a show such as OTB has done, takes up branding from a gambling company, it removes any likelihood of conversation around the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Enjoyed the coverage of the Mick McCarthy and Robbie Keane contracts. I thought everybody was a bit too happy clappy in the media about McCarthy walking away with such a huge amount of money with a golden handshake. Nice to hear such a frank discussion about the topic.

There's no mess like an FAI mess, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can only imagine Mick McCarthy saying

"If you had offered me at the start of the campaign a big payoff to leave the job during a global pandemic for not qualifying automatically I would have bitten your bloody arm off" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭rrs

Simon Harris announced restrictions will be in place until a Vaccine is developed which could be a year or more. It will be hard to see any sport played before then, even behind closed doors is a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Whoever had the idea to get Giles to pick his all time eleven teams deserves a pat on the back.

Very enjoyable listening.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Whoever had the idea to get Giles to pick his all time eleven teams deserves a pat on the back.

Very enjoyable listening.

I've enjoyed the arguments around picking a Mount Rushmore for each county. Kieran Cunningham was very strong in defending his selection of Packie Bonnar above Shay Given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For obvious reasons, I haven't listed to the Paper Round, or OTB in general, in while but tuned in today and, after about 10 mins, I wish I hadn't. That 10 mins was enough to convince me that Kieran Cunningham is a man who likes to wallow in negativity. It's bad enough that there's no sport on, but he felt compelled to tell everyone that he thinks that sport will never go back to normal. When a vaccine was suggested, he poured cold water on that too, by announcing his arrival as a medical expert and equating the fact that there's no vaccine for cancer with the possibility that there might be no vaccine for Coronavirus. I know we need to be realistic in all of this, but a little bit of optimism wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

For obvious reasons, I haven't listed to the Paper Round, or OTB in general, in while but tuned in today and, after about 10 mins, I wish I hadn't. That 10 mins was enough to convince me that Kieran Cunningham is a man who likes to wallow in negativity. It's bad enough that there's no sport on, but he felt compelled to tell everyone that he thinks that sport will never go back to normal. When a vaccine was suggested, he poured cold water on that too, by announcing his arrival as a medical expert and equating the fact that there's no vaccine for cancer with the possibility that there might be no vaccine for Coronavirus. I know we need to be realistic in all of this, but a little bit of optimism wouldn't go astray.

I like Cunningham but he doesn't leave much room for any sport going ahead for a long time, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Best PL Irish XL was on the other day. Again Ger Gilroy showing what a clown he is.

He said that 2002 Spain team was the backbone of the team that went on to win the world cup, there was only 2 who went on to win it.

Again showing that anyone who has a different view to his is wrong no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Even if a vaccine isn't created (and it may not be) sport and life will go back to normal once we find some way of coping with this virus as just another of the long list of illness that you hope not to get but can be treated for.You can't keep up social distancing forever whether the medical experts want that to happen or not it just goes against pretty much every single human activity in the world and essentially would result in the cure being worse than the virus.US medical government expert Anthony Fauci was suggesting that handshaking should never return which is clearly not feasible as if handshaking can't return it means any sort of human contact can't return which is obviously not feasible.

Even if a vaccine isn't created (and it may not be) sport and life will go back to normal once we find some way of coping with this virus as just another of the long list of illness that you hope not to get but can be treated for.You can't keep up social distancing forever whether the medical experts want that to happen or not it just goes against pretty much every single human activity in the world and essentially would result in the cure being worse than the virus.US medical government expert Anthony Fauci was suggesting that handshaking should never return which is clearly not feasible as if handshaking can't return it means any sort of human contact can't return which is obviously not feasible.

I won't be handshaking anyone for a long time anyway. Not just because of this virus. Is there really a need to handshake? I could do without it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

I won't be handshaking anyone for a long time anyway. Not just because of this virus. Is there really a need to handshake? I could do without it to be honest.

Is there really any need for people to hug, is there really any need for people to hold hands, is there really any need for people to have sex (maybe these full body condoms from Naked Gun will need to be introduced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asouPYvrUtY) , is there any need for people to accidentally brush against each other while out in public etc etc

It's virtually impossible to avoid some sort of physical contact with other human beings either directly or indirectly so it is not feasible as a way of dealing with this situation.

Is there really any need for people to hug, is there really any need for people to hold hands, is there really any need for people to have sex (maybe these full body condoms from Naked Gun will need to be introduced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asouPYvrUtY) , is there any need for people to accidentally brush against each other while out in public etc etc

It's virtually impossible to avoid some sort of physical contact with other human beings either directly or indirectly so it is not feasible as a way of dealing with this situation.

If people want to handshake with each other thats fine. Its a personal choice. I think there will be many who wont after this. I'll be giving it a miss anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I turned it off for the same reason. I’m convinced there are people in this country who will happily sit inside without complaint until the government tell them otherwise. For myself, and others, it goes against human nature. Professional sport has been tolerant of what has been asked of it but you can’t cover up forever and I’d hazard a guess that the vast majority of athletes want to get back out there. There will be a small risk but there are risks associated with almost everything. The lockdown itself will end soon because it simply must, despite the medical field’s desire to stretch it out for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I like Kieran Cunningham but he's been pure miserable since the pandemic began. Can see no hope for the future at all. Everything is ****ed. I mean it's a terrible situation but history has shown us that yes things will return to normal in time. The Spanish flu killed over 50M worldwide and things returned to normal. And quicker than you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

For anyone into rugby, Joe interviewed Matt Williams on the future of the game tonight in what was probably the most informative interview I’ve ever heard on the show. It was quite brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very interesting to hear Lee Dixon talking about playing against Ryan Giggs. Apparently he would stay completely silent so you wouldn't know he was there, before darting in behind your back and scoring. Something he had mastered in his personal life also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Really enjoying the county by county mount rushmore segments that they do. Saying that, its infuriating at the same time. I also see they managed to include both Andy Lee and Kevin Kilbane for Limerick and Mayo respectively. Would agree with Lee, not so sure for Kilbane.

Joe Ward being left off the Westmeath one aswell is just bonkers given all he has won on international stage. They spend most of their time talking about GAA heroes to be honest, i'd have any kind of international achievement trumping GAA heroics but thats just my own personal preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Really enjoying the county by county mount rushmore segments that they do. Saying that, its infuriating at the same time. I also see they managed to include both Andy Lee and Kevin Kilbane for Limerick and Mayo respectively. Would agree with Lee, not so sure for Kilbane.

Joe Ward being left off the Westmeath one aswell is just bonkers given all he has won on international stage. They spend most of their time talking about GAA heroes to be honest, i'd have any kind of international achievement trumping GAA heroics but thats just my own personal preference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement