Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The Paddy Agnew chat was great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cmac2009

rrs wrote: »
    I read she dated 3 dancers from Strictly in the past. Seems a quick proposal, is that Kilbane finished on OTB now.?

He very much hinted that way last night. Mentioning the he needs to come in and have a chat about his future plans etc. No real loss to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Kilbane was excellent when he joined the show and then for at least 12 months.
    His involvement this year has dropped way off

I would say you’ll find it difficult enough to find someone who listens to OTB that thinks Kilbane was excellent judging by this thread. Kenny & Delaney are both far superior and better additions to the show then he has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,361 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cue 'Tell Me How' to let us all know what a vital and important cog Kilbane is in the machine of top quality sports journalism that Off The Ball offers and that Ice and dancing with some tart is a valuable contribution to a holistic sporting listenership experience. ***REPORT POST. REPORT POST***

I always thought Kilbane was useless in many respects but he's outdone himself, dancing on ice and getting engaged in a month, he's an absolute twat. :(

I dunno OTB could bring in the female demographic by giving updates on the upcoming wedding, location, style of dress etc. The majority of women listeners would have much more interest in that instead of the 20/20 lipservice stuff!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,361 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kilbane doesn't hang about, 2 months.

Shot gun wedding?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

I read she dated 3 dancers from Strictly in the past. Seems a quick proposal, is that Kilbane finished on OTB now.?

Cocked more times than John Wayne's gun then.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Delighted Kilbane is leaving. Nice guy and all but as a pundit, he is brutal. Must have an unbelievable agent! Wonder who he will be replaced with? Is David Meyler considered one of the 'team'? Perhaps more Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not sure what’s more pathetic, the fact that you trawl through people’s posting history looking for anything, no matter how irrelevant, to comeback with or the fact that you are really that naive and inept at identifying when someone is taking the piss.

Sorry to be disappoint but I didn't trawl through anything. You're not that important. People can see what you post when you post it. That's how boards work...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was driving along and heard the intro to the show about interviewing him on the engagement. Switched over.

No one tunes into off the ball to hear about kilbanes dancing rubbish. It's a convo they should have at the dinner table.

It's a reflection of how far the show has fallen in quality from the heady days of a decade ago.

And I suppose what a lot of that comes down to is that they have spread themselves too thin.

Almost 2 hours of OTB AM weekdays, 3 hours of OTB weekday evenings and then 8 or so hours I think of weekend OTB.

It's been diluted down so much that now I am now happy if I hear one good piece anytime I tune in. Years ago I felt it was unlucky if I heard one dross piece anytime I tuned in.

Could be looking through rose tinted glasses but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

BPKS wrote: »
    It's a reflection of how far the show has fallen in quality from the heady days of a decade ago.

And I suppose what a lot of that comes down to is that they have spread themselves too thin.

Almost 2 hours of OTB AM weekdays, 3 hours of OTB weekday evenings and then 8 or so hours I think of weekend OTB.

It's been diluted down so much that now I am now happy if I hear one good piece anytime I tune in. Years ago I felt it was unlucky if I heard one dross piece anytime I tuned in.

I agree fully with that and I'm a big OTB fan. I still like the AM show but in the last few weeks the news round has been bad. Eating raw eggs, rating rugby anthems etc. It's either a newsround or it isnt. I get having the banter at the start for a few mins but now its 90% banter 10% news. I like Kilbane but I knew last night would be all about his engagement no football show. Tidy it up lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭rrs

You wouldn't have Kilbane down as the type, who spends over 50k on engagement ring and starts singing as he's proposing in a restaurant.
    I could just imagine him if was on OTB, and he heard someone else doing that, he'd be going 'I'm not having that, Joe'... In his Preston accent

Give it another 10 years and it might pick up a bit, if it doesn't maybe might be time to have a look at other options.

I think that's bang on the money. I was thinking the same thing. I was trawling through a week's worth of pods last night for something to listen to and couldn't find anything. I was defending the show up until a few weeks ago but I've had more time to listen to the show live since Xmas and it's been so disappointing.

Nathan went on the defensive pretty early tonight as they have obviously been taking a bit of heat and had a bite at people texting in about it being a sports show, but it was clear that the bottom line is listeners and the Kilbane piece was a winner so that's all that matters.

Can't help but feel that they are selling out their loyal listeners.

On the plus side, Dan is a great contributor and is not much of a banter merchant so it's always a plus when he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Sorry to be disappoint but I didn't trawl through anything. You're not that important. People can see what you post when you post it. That's how boards work...

Right...that's why you are visiting my profile and reading my post history. Guess, you didn't realise this was a thing. Pathetic and found out.

DOkIRG7.jpg

Right...that's why you are visiting my profile and reading my post history. Guess, you didn't realise this was a thing. Pathetic and found out.

DOkIRG7.jpg

:D:D

Nope. I saw your original post, and checked to make sure it was still there before I called you out on it.

Well done on calling attention to it once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

DOkIRG7.jpg

It was .... Tell me how’s account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

:D:D

Nope. I saw your original post, and checked to make sure it was still there before I called you out on it.

Well done on calling attention to it once again.

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok.:rolleyes:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok.:rolleyes:

I'm just glad you are posting pictures of your profile page instead of, you know, any other pictures you like to send.

Can we get back on topic and discuss the show instead of this rubbish...

Can we get back on topic and discuss the show instead of this rubbish...

After listening to John Giles I really think its time they pulled the plug on him.

He's a nice man and all but you don't hear any GAA or rugby players from the 60s being asked to regularly analyse those sports today because they are totally alien to the game thats played today. Giles last managed over 30 years ago too so I'm not sure what they think he can bring to the table.

Grand being him in for the odd nostalgia piece but he really isn't up to a weekly half hour spot of talking about the weekends football.

• Advertisement

After listening to John Giles I really think its time they pulled the plug on him.

He's a nice man and all but you don't hear any GAA or rugby players from the 60s being asked to regularly analyse those sports today because they are totally alien to the game thats played today. Giles last managed over 30 years ago too so I'm not sure what they think he can bring to the table.

Grand being him in for the odd nostalgia piece but he really isn't up to a weekly half hour spot of talking about the weekends football.

Having him talk about football today is pointless. He was very interesting on Brady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The Paddy Agnew chat was great

Can’t say I found it that great. Joe struggled to fake laugh at Agnew’s fairly boring anecdotes. Didn’t think Agnew had that deep a knowledge of Italian football really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Spending time talking about lads who buy roses for valentines day.

The show is getting unbearable to listen to on a regular basis.

There was just a really good piece with Damien Delaney.

I really like what he brings to the table and I thought Joe and Nathan kept the interview moving along well.

Compare that 20 minutes to the John Giles slot and it's like chalk and cheese.

Worth a listen back if you missed it IMO.

There was just a really good piece with Damien Delaney.

I really like what he brings to the table and I thought Joe and Nathan kept the interview moving along well.

Compare that 20 minutes to the John Giles slot and it's like chalk and cheese.

Worth a listen back if you missed it IMO.

Really excellent stuff on a topic that didn't promise much. Real insight into the life of a footballer. Delaney is a huge asset to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Good to find this thread as i thought i was the only one tuning out over this muppet Kilbanne and his poxy dancing and engagement. It was cringe from the get go. Grown men waffling on live radio about his dancing exploits was the final straw for me.

I now rarely listen to OTB live but check the podcast every few days for any good football or GAA pieces. Like Dan McDonnel, Giles, Delaney and Kenny on the football. Johny Ward seems a complete fruitcake. Listen to anyone on the GAA, Tommy Walsh is class. Always catch up on Sunday Paper Review.

This Sunday Live Premier League is a waste of time. I couldn't listen to 90 minutes soccer on radio especially with Nathan Murphy nearly bursting your ear drums with the slightest bit of non excitement.

I'm long gone off the live show each evening. Molloy is boring. Richie McCormack tries to be too cool. Nathan is a headwreck and Gilroy is a bellend.

As other poster has said there's too much of it on now with OTB AM so the quality is further diluted but you can still get a few nuggets on the podcast.

Last point i hope Kilbanne is never heard of again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Good to find this thread as i thought i was the only one tuning out over this muppet Kilbanne and his poxy dancing and engagement. It was cringe from the get go. Grown men waffling on live radio about his dancing exploits was the final straw for me.

I now rarely listen to OTB live but check the podcast every few days for any good football or GAA pieces. Like Dan McDonnel, Giles, Delaney and Kenny on the football. Johny Ward seems a complete fruitcake. Listen to anyone on the GAA, Tommy Walsh is class. Always catch up on Sunday Paper Review.

This Sunday Live Premier League is a waste of time. I couldn't listen to 90 minutes soccer on radio especially with Nathan Murphy nearly bursting your ear drums with the slightest bit of non excitement.

I'm long gone off the live show each evening. Molloy is boring. Richie McCormack tries to be too cool. Nathan is a headwreck and Gilroy is a bellend.

As other poster has said there's too much of it on now with OTB AM so the quality is further diluted but you can still get a few nuggets on the podcast.

Ah here, I'm not having that. Joe Molloy is not that boring. I agree with you completely on the rest though :D

Is your real name Colm Parkinson?

Ah I think just leave him on for the comedy alone.

I heard them on last week I think it was. Nathan was saying about how good a player Bruno Fernandes was and speaking about the characteristics that make him a good player. He throws a question to Giles - "Do you think he will improve the United midfield?". Giles says "Well, I haven't seen much of him Nathan to be honest, but if he's as good a player as you say he is, then I'd say he will improve their midfield" :D

• Advertisement

Is your real name Colm Parkinson?

I still want to know what happened there. Did he just not get on with Gilroy? Anybody know any gossip about what happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement