Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dont buy into the hype about him. Doesn't be involved in the play as much as a top midfielder should. Can go missing for large periods and usually does. A few fancy dribbles doesn't mask over his ineffectual overall play.

So he can only dribble? You don’t see him capable of passing, shooting, tackling, running without the ball, crossing ?

Where do you see the technical weakness in his game?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    By main issue with the paper review was Snyed thinking Souness had a good point about Grealish taking too many touches with the ball.

Of course Grealish takes touches with the ball, he’s brilliant and the rest of the villa squad are ****e.

Souness is bang on the money about Grealish. I'm a Villa fan and see Grealish all the time. While he's brilliant, sometimes he plays for himself. Being brilliant for a team does not mean getting the ball and trying to beat players and make something happen all the time. Sometimes, he just needs to play a simple one-two, create a triangle or play the percentage ball. When he's out of the game he can drop too deep and lose the ball high up the pitch.

He has superstar syndrome and thinks he needs to drag the team along with his brilliance all the time. He's a fine player, but needs to move to a team in which he is not the star to learn how to play for a team and not just for himself.

Souness is bang on the money about Grealish. I'm a Villa fan and see Grealish all the time. While he's brilliant, sometimes he plays for himself. Being brilliant for a team does not mean getting the ball and trying to beat players and make something happen all the time. Sometimes, he just needs to play a simple one-two, create a triangle or play the percentage ball. When he's out of the game he can drop too deep and lose the ball high up the pitch.

He has superstar syndrome and thinks he needs to drag the team along with his brilliance all the time. He's a fine player, but needs to move to a team in which he is not the star to learn how to play for a team and not just for himself.

So where is weakness technically? Or he has none? It’s just in his temperament?

So where is weakness technically? Or he has none? It’s just in his temperament?

He's technically brilliant, that's plain to see. But there are lots of technically gifted players out there. What separates the technically gifted from the brilliant is all the other equally important aspects of the game - mentality, football acumen, decision making, attitude, courage etc etc. Grealish has lots to learn as he has been the star of a poor team for so long.

He's technically brilliant, that's plain to see. But there are lots of technically gifted players out there. What separates the technically gifted from the brilliant is all the other equally important aspects of the game - mentality, football acumen, decision making, attitude, courage etc etc. Grealish has lots to learn as he has been the star of a poor team for so long.

If you’re technically brilliant the rest can be worked on. There are very few players that have a widespread of the gifts Grealish possesses.

He has a poor coach and a poor mercenary based team around him that is missing it’s other brilliant player in McGinn. Only a fool couldn’t see there is serious serious potential for him not to become a huge player in football, despite his questionable temperament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Im a Liverpool fan and i dont want Grealish at the club.

If you’re technically brilliant the rest can be worked on. There are very few players that have a widespread of the gifts Grealish possesses.

He has a poor coach and a poor mercenary based team around him that is missing it’s other brilliant player in McGinn. Only a fool couldn’t see there is serious serious potential for him not to become a huge player in football, despite his questionable temperament.

He's 24. Time to start moving the conversation beyond potential. If he's to become a huge player in world football he better get a wriggle on. I think it's no coincidence, for example, that he hasn't been capped by England yet.

But a move to a big club would tell us a lot about all the other aspects of his game, and his ability to slot into a team rather than be the focal point of one.

Im a Liverpool fan and i dont want Grealish at the club.

Grand, after next season you might not want him at United either.

He's 24. Time to start moving the conversation beyond potential.

I was talking about potential to become a huge player in football. 24 isn’t that old.

I was talking about potential to become a huge player in football. 24 isn’t that old.

The chances of him doing that at this stage are not very good but let's see how things go for him. Not too many examples of players who have done as little as Grealish has at that stage of his career and then stepped up to becoming what you think he might become.

• Advertisement

The chances of him doing that at this stage are not very good but let's see how things go for him. Not too many examples of players who have done as little as Grealish has at that stage of his career and then stepped up to becoming what you think he might become.

Modric or Rakitic weren’t pulling up trees at 24. Casemiro..

But I agree he needs to train hard, play within a team etc. but when technically you are strong to brilliant in every facet of the game then you’ve a big chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

OTB is usually on top of the latest moral crusade. Indeed Gilroy was having a twitter meltdown not so long ago on the communication around the Dublin school that confirmed a corona virus patient.

Curious then that there was no discussion at all around the potential risks of letting Cheltenham proceed without any restrictions. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sponsor of most of their racing and football content.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Aidric wrote: »
    OTB is usually on top of the latest moral crusade. Indeed Gilroy was having a twitter meltdown not so long ago on the communication around the Dublin school that confirmed a corona virus patient.

Curious then that there was no discussion at all around the potential risks of letting Cheltenham proceed without any restrictions. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sponsor of most of their racing and football content.

They made more of a stink over a bit of bad language at a training session for a gaelic football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Aidric wrote: »

It was discussed on the Tuesday's newsrounds. Joe and Richie made it quite clear they thought it was a ridiculous decision for it to go ahead, especially since the first case in Cheltenham was confirmed that day. They even had a dissenting voice for those who like a bit of "balance" - Damien Delaney was wondering whether maybe we were making too much of this coronavirus thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wonder how OTB are going to deal with the lack of sport over the next few weeks.
    A bank holiday Monday is generally enough to do some best of pieces from the last few weeks but can't see that working over such a period.
    Suspect at the very least, Tom Dunne will be on the summer schedule next week.

Wonder how OTB are going to deal with the lack of sport over the next few weeks.
    A bank holiday Monday is generally enough to do some best of pieces from the last few weeks but can't see that working over such a period.

Oh for gods sake. As if things were not bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Plenty of political issues to for them give their expert opinion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Another women's sport "special" today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"It's a public health disaster" says Ciara Kelly on Off The Ball.

Seems to me that OTB and their sponsors Paddy Power were happy enough for it to go ahead so that they could make money from the gambling. But now that it's all over, they are fully on board with criticism of it having gone ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't listen to the horse racing as I've no interest in it but in the little bits I did hear they did mention the danger of it going ahead and there was criticism of it.

Their only other option was to just not cover it at all, which I don't think works for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Well predicted.

The paper review are currently talking about Doctor (or radio presenter) Ciara Kelly's price in the Sindo about the virus.

And now people in pubs are the target

You’d be best off going cold turkey on consuming sport right now surely. What exactly do you expect them to be talking about?

BPKS wrote: »
    Well predicted.

The paper review are currently talking about Doctor (or radio presenter) Ciara Kelly's price in the Sindo about the virus.

And now people in pubs are the target

People in pubs are fcukin idiots and are rightly being called on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

People in pubs are fcukin idiots and are rightly being called on it.

But am I an idiot for getting on a packed bus to go to work in the morning????

And did otb send duggan to Cheltenham????

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    But am I an idiot for getting on a packed bus to go to work in the morning????

A - Anyone who went to Cheltenham of their own free will belongs to be referred to in the same category as those in the pubs.

B - I'm not excusing OTB because they did treat Cheltenham as close to being a normal festival for most of the week with the exception of some comments in relation to it but I don't think it as simple as saying they should not have done so given contracts which are probably in place in relation to sponsorship etc. Notwithstanding that, the situation did change very quickly in the last few days.

C - What has you getting on a bus to go to work got to do with anything?

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

I did see him over there at the start of the week in some sort of communal journalists room. I know Johnny Ward was there but he says that he is just a contractor so he had to go or he doesn't get paid.

Be interesting to see how OTB deal with the next few weeks of no sport. Think i heard today that the OTB AM Show is on tomorrow. Never listen to this but is there a need for it now? Surely the evening show would be enough. Or no show at all may be a better solution.

Saturday and Sunday sport on RTE Radio was scrapped this weekend. There's no point really in having it on. Same for OTB.

They did a good job of recommending documentaries and books to watch. But it will surely be very difficult for them to create content for the next few weeks if there is no sport.

Very funny moment on the paper review today, when Tommy Martin's daughter walked in on him as he was Skyping in his contribution. Very similar to the UK guy last year when the nanny came thundering in to drag the kids out of his room.

• Advertisement

My usual weekly pocasts like the GAA Hour, Throw In, RTE GAA podcast, Football Weekly, Totally Football Show will all be reduced or scrapped i suspect. Even Shane Stapleton's Our Game on Youtube will suffer greatly for material. It is what it is. Nothing that can be done about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement