Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

That is literally his job......

I don’t get into the sniping about certain hosts or the politics on here. But a role like that needs to be freshened up and often. Not like they’d be short of offers from ex players giving their opinion. Quinlan overload on BT, OTB and Virgin is just too much. I wouldn’t even mind if he was good but he’s awful. Nathan nearly had to put a gun to him there the other night for him to admit that either POM or Stander don’t deserve to start in 6N. He’s a whoer for work though from what I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can someone post a link to this video

Downloaded the podcast of yesterday hoping for maybe a brief, reluctant discussion of McGregor's win and a preview of the Liverpool game. But no, I forgot who I was dialling. Another half hour whinge from some ex camogie player about how all de men were getting the good managerial jobs, and she couldn't do the job because it wasn't fair to ask her ma and da to look after her kids.

She says: "The county boards have to understand that players like myself have been in the game for twenty five years. I know every camogie player from the age of ten to the age of fifty. My knowledge........ is proabably more relevant than the knowledge a GAA player who's come from across the divide, like Richie Power in to Offaly".

Richie Power has eight All Ireland Senior Men's Hurling medals and worked under Brian Cody, probably one of the best hurling managers of all time. Why did Joe or the always emaciated Kieran Cunningham not even challenge her on this. Or the fact maybe that the men's game is at a significantly standard.

And I guess the greatest irony in the room is that Joe sits there and laments the lack of opportunity for women, when they have never trusted a woman to become a front line presenter on Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Haven't heard yesterdays newspaper round but I'll still take a stab at responding.

My guess is that you either misunderstood what she said or are (deliberately or unintentionally, I'm not sure) taking it out of context. I may get to listen to it during the week and if so, will respond in greater detail.

Looks like it was the taking it out of context angle.
    Downloaded the podcast of yesterday hoping for maybe a brief, reluctant discussion of McGregor's win and a preview of the Liverpool game. But no, I forgot who I was dialling. Another half hour whinge from some ex camogie player about how all de men were getting the good managerial jobs, and she couldn't do the job because it wasn't fair to ask her ma and da to look after her kids.

She says: "The county boards have to understand that players like myself have been in the game for twenty five years. I know every camogie player from the age of ten to the age of fifty. My knowledge........ is proabably more relevant than the knowledge a GAA player who's come from across the divide, like Richie Power in to Offaly".

Richie Power has eight All Ireland Senior Men's Hurling medals and worked under Brian Cody, probably one of the best hurling managers of all time. Why did Joe or the always emaciated Kieran Cunningham not even challenge her on this. Or the fact maybe that the men's game is at a significantly standard.

Why shouldn't she be entitled to think that if she has been involved in camogie for so long and has such knowledge of players involved that her capacity to coach would be greater than someone playing the mens game.

I'm not saying she is right, I'm saying her view doesn't seem unreasonable.
    And I guess the greatest irony in the room is that Joe sits there and laments the lack of opportunity for women, when they have never trusted a woman to become a front line presenter on Off The Ball.

The only irony here is that you are faulting them for not having a woman presenter while if they had you'd be saying that it was only done for PC reasons.

The only irony here is that you are faulting them for not having a woman presenter while if they had you'd be saying that it was only done for PC reasons.

You could at least have afforded me the opportunity to have said something before criticizing for saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Looks like it was the taking it out of context angle.

Why shouldn't she be entitled to think that if she has been involved in camogie for so long and has such knowledge of players involved that her capacity to coach would be greater than someone playing the mens game.

I'm not saying she is right, I'm saying her view doesn't seem unreasonable.

“Taking out of context”, is something people say when they have no legitimate statement to make but must state something. I paraphrased, generalgerry then gave the actual quotes but still that’s not good enough. I don’t care about how or why she hasn’t landed an intercounty job. Neither does anyone else. This was the paper review show, not a platform for her to highlight the sexism present in GAA. Put yourself in the shoes of a county board chairman: Highly decorated All-Ireland winner from the greatest team ever to hurl vs. an opinionated, chip-on-their-shoulder, petulant feminist. Not a hard decision for the chairman. Anyway, weren’t they supposed to be reviewing newspapers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Didn't hear Breen on this weekend thankfully. I really really dislike Breen on commentary.

He just talks and talks and talks rubbish. And I hate the way he answers his own question like:

"Is he to blame? Of course he isn't."

"Should he put that away? Of course he should."

"Am I saying he should play him through injury? Of course not."

Breen talks as if he's just filling up time. Listening to Meyler was night and day. Miles better. Although I do find Meylers accent and speaking mannerisms grating sometimes, what he says is a million times better than Breen.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    “Taking out of context”, is something people say when they have no legitimate statement to make but must state something. I paraphrased, generalgerry then gave the actual quotes but still that’s not good enough. I don’t care about how or why she hasn’t landed an intercounty job. Neither does anyone else. This was the paper review show, not a platform for her to highlight the sexism present in GAA. Put yourself in the shoes of a county board chairman: Highly decorated All-Ireland winner from the greatest team ever to hurl vs. an opinionated, chip-on-their-shoulder, petulant feminist. Not a hard decision for the chairman. Anyway, weren’t they supposed to be reviewing newspapers?

This is some feat to accuse me of having no legitimate statement to make and to follow it up with a mindset from the 1950's.

This is some feat to accuse me of having no legitimate statement to make and to follow it up with a mindset from the 1950's.

I’ll assume you’re trolling me and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RINO87

Quinlan does make for some pretty awful radio tho in fairness...

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    Quinlan does make for some pretty awful radio tho in fairness...

The one thing you have to hand to him though, is that he must realise that he is not very good at it, and yet he is on loads of different media broadcasts. He's got some balls to keep putting himself in the firing line for abuse. I'd say that he's hoping to just get better as he goes on. But he really needs to add some oooompph or enthusiasm to delivery. He makes ROG sound like Jim Carrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was no fan of hers but they did explain why they weren't doing much on the Liverpool game which made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I was no fan of hers but they did explain why they weren't doing much on the Liverpool game which made sense.

And the McGregor fight took place overnight so there wouldn't be coverage of it in the papers the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

I know 100% for a fact that a certain manager for a small county in the west was getting 60k a year plus expenses plus sponsors car.

It's an open secret that managers are getting paid, I'm sure it must be all above board i. e taxable, but how come it's such a big secret? It's a question that sports journalists never seem to ask Can you imagine Ger Gilroy asking Jim Gavin or Brian Cody if their respective county boards are paying them, it would be awkward but isn't that what journalists are supposed to do? Shine a light into dark corners. As l said I don't think there's anything dodgy going on but why is it so taboo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sounds dodgy tbh.

I know you can put a lot down to expenses but 60,000 a year is subject to tax.

How is the county board reflecting this in their accounts?

Sounds dodgy tbh.

I'd say they're putting it in there under operational costs.

Sure Wexfords annual costs went up by 250k a year when Davy came on board.

I wonder if all these footballers and managers are paying benefit in kind on the cars?

Sounds dodgy tbh.

I'd say, truth be told, if Mark Tighe was to turn his focus on to manager payments it would not end up well for a number of county boards. That being said, I'd say there is also an element of chinese whispers around it where a friend of a friend has a cousin who swears it's 'x' amount.

Interesting points about the omerta of silence surrounding the payments to managers. And it does seem to be a deliberate blind spot, something that they are choosing to ignore. Maybe it's something that Kimmage should get stuck into. Surely from an accounting point of view it would not be possible to bury 100K as sundries. Seems like it would be difficult to hide show where the 100K went, without being guilty of false accounting. Shur half of these clubs accounts must look like the FAI's accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Interesting points about the omerta of silence surrounding the payments to managers. And it does seem to be a deliberate blind spot, something that they are choosing to ignore. Maybe it's something that Kimmage should get stuck into. Surely from an accounting point of view it would not be possible to bury 100K as sundries. Seems like it would be difficult to hide show where the 100K went, without being guilty of false accounting. Shur half of these clubs accounts must look like the FAI's accounts.

Maybe cos journalists wouldn't declare a lot of the "payments" they get outside of their salary is the reason they might not be too prepared to delve into this issue.

On the payments issue itself, well it starts at the grass routes - if club members decide to stop paying their membership cos the club keeps paying outside managers instead of developing and promoting their own, then it might prompt some change in this whole issue.

BPKS wrote: »
    Maybe cos journalists wouldn't declare a lot of the "payments" they get outside of their salary is the reason they might not be too prepared to delve into this issue.

On the payments issue itself, well it starts at the grass routes - if club members decide to stop paying their membership cos the club keeps paying outside managers instead of developing and promoting their own, then it might prompt some change in this whole issue.

What payments would journalists not declare out of interest? And why would that have any impact on their desire to investigate managers' payments?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To go missing for months and then do a few weeks of everyday on the trot? If its "literally his job"...have you contract details? because it seems odd.

Furthermore and more to the point, he is absolutely sh*te, but undoubtedly he's up there with the best in sports journalism in your eyes.

Quinlan is easily the best one. He’s not afraid to stick the boot in and actually knows what he’s talking about.

BOD tries not to annoy his mates while ROG talks about everything other than the question he’s asked on his mumbling, rambling tangents.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Did anyone else hear Joe's 20 minute interrogation of Rory Best over the Belfast trial?

Its time to move on and drop that issue, Jackson and co are guilty in my opinion but we don't need the issue resurrected a year later.

These guys can't resist the opportunity to do some moralising.

Pontious Molloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

redbuck wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear Joe's 20 minute interrogation of Rory Best over the Belfast trial?

Its time to move on and drop that issue, Jackson and co are guilty in my opinion but we don't need the issue resurrected a year later.

Pontious Molloy.

But they are not guilty. What part of it do you not understand?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    But they are not guilty. What part of it do you not understand?

Guilty of some “interesting” WhatsApp messages. Joe would never send such a message. What a W@|\|£€R

redbuck wrote: »

Pontious Molloy.

With respect, that's a load of horsesh1t.

Firstly, Best is hawking a book and is doing the media rounds so this is the first time that his decision, as Ireland captain, to stand as character witness for a man accused of rape was discussed at length.

Joe teased it out well and, to be fair, I thought Best dealt pretty well with the questions and seemed to be genuinely torn about what he did. Admitting that he felt used by Jackson's team was interesting and new to me. It's a nuanced topic that deserved to be spoken about at length.

To tie this into some theory that OTB is part of some wider conspiracy is nonsense.

Secondly, your opinion on whether they were guilty or not is irrelevant. They were tried in a court of law and found not guilty.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Guilty of some “interesting” WhatsApp messages. Joe would never send such a message. What a W@|\|£€R

I think his point was a bit more nuanced than that but sure if it suits your agenda then...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What payments would journalists not declare out of interest? And why would that have any impact on their desire to investigate managers' payments?

If journalists were getting paid cash for various appearances and not declaring it (launches, PR gigs) or getting freebies (trips abroad, free golf, ambassador roles) and not declaring them as a benefit in kind, then maybe they might not want to touch the similar, although more lucrative, payments/benefits that some inter County managers get.

Just a thought.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

With respect, that's a load of horsesh1t.

Firstly, Best is hawking a book and is doing the media rounds so this is the first time that his decision, as Ireland captain, to stand as character witness for a man accused of rape was discussed at length.

Joe teased it out well and, to be fair, I thought Best dealt pretty well with the questions and seemed to be genuinely torn about what he did. Admitting that he felt used by Jackson's team was interesting and new to me. It's a nuanced topic that deserved to be spoken about at length.

To tie this into some theory that OTB is part of some wider conspiracy is nonsense.

Secondly, your opinion on whether they were guilty or not is irrelevant. They were tried in a court of law and found not guilty.

Agree with all of this. I thought Joe was good in this and Best was very honest. I said from the outset that him attending was a stunt by Jackson’s legal team and Best was sold nonsense. Seems he believes it now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Faugheen wrote: »
    Quinlan is easily the best one. He’s not afraid to stick the boot in and actually knows what he’s talking about.

BOD tries not to annoy his mates while ROG talks about everything other than the question he’s asked on his mumbling, rambling tangents.

What exactly do you mean by ‘Quinlan is easily the best one’. Best one in what at what?

• Advertisement

It's easy know what Quinlan thinks.

I knew well he'd turn around his opinion on Sexton becoming captain when it happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement