Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I still want to know what happened there. Did he just not get on with Gilroy? Anybody know any gossip about what happened?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was approached by JOE and announced he was leaving and given that he was going to front his own show, they decided to put him on gardening leave for the duration of his notice.

Suspect he also didn't get on with Gilroy as he commented that the station didn't care about live GAA on a Sunday and given Gilroy's role, that must have come from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I wouldn't be surprised if he was approached by JOE and announced he was leaving and given that he was going to front his own show, they decided to put him on gardening leave for the duration of his notice.

Hmmm, interesting. I would have thought he was a contractor though?
    I like his show though, doesn't have the PC shackles that OTB has. It's a bit of craic.

Hmmm, interesting. I would have thought he was a contractor though?
    I like his show though, doesn't have the PC shackles that OTB has. It's a bit of craic.

Horses for courses.

I find it too one track. Obviously it's focus is GAA which is narrower than OTB but even within that, I find it's fairly predictable what is being discussed. Colm is entertaining, Crappy quiz was genuinely funny when he was on it) but he has his hobby horse as much as anyone on OTB does.

He was very annoyed last year that the GAA didn't opt for a fixtures solution like he was proposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

As a big GAA fan i really enjoy The GAA HOUR on a Monday and Thursday . I enjoy football and hurling just about in equal measure so its 4 hours of good GAA chatter. Parkinson does his job well and the guests are all pretty knowledgable and have bit of craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

:D:D:D:D "Approached" by an exposed click farm.

• Advertisement

Horses for courses. I find it too one track. Obviously it's focus is GAA which is narrower than OTB but even within that, I find it's fairly predictable what is being discussed..

Yeah a lot of it is too focused for me too. Especially the hurling stuff. But I enjoy him after the big football games. I think a problem with his podcast is that there are only a few matches during the year when the casuals (like me) will find that they have to download his product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭rrs

A few are a bit harsh on Giles. The man is nearly 80, he's not really up to date with stuff anymore, and a bit sad as it's tough to listen to him now.
    OTB probaly don't want to remove him out of respect, but are probaly aware he's not really a good analyst anymore. He's repetitive in what he says, too much of talking about the Leeds days.

Giles still top man for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Good to find this thread as i thought i was the only one tuning out over this muppet Kilbanne and his poxy dancing and engagement. It was cringe from the get go. Grown men waffling on live radio about his dancing exploits was the final straw for me.

I now rarely listen to OTB live but check the podcast every few days for any good football or GAA pieces. Like Dan McDonnel, Giles, Delaney and Kenny on the football. Johny Ward seems a complete fruitcake. Listen to anyone on the GAA, Tommy Walsh is class. Always catch up on Sunday Paper Review.

This Sunday Live Premier League is a waste of time. I couldn't listen to 90 minutes soccer on radio especially with Nathan Murphy nearly bursting your ear drums with the slightest bit of non excitement.

I'm long gone off the live show each evening. Molloy is boring. Richie McCormack tries to be too cool. Nathan is a headwreck and Gilroy is a bellend.

As other poster has said there's too much of it on now with OTB AM so the quality is further diluted but you can still get a few nuggets on the podcast.

Last point i hope Kilbanne is never heard of again.

So tell us how you really feel etc? The reason that they are there in their positions is that they have show competency in sports journalism/broadcasting/production to a quality deemed acceptable and more by Communicorp having cut their teeth somewhere else in radio. This is straightforward. if radio stations were to shrink at the whim of some forum poster because of a slew of ill conceived stream of conscious and invective posted here than there would be changes made every other day. All of this is subjective nonsense. They are far from perfect and yet try to and often do succeed in putting together good programming and content. They have to spread themselves very thinly in covering a lot of matierial and occasionally come short but by and large they are producing interesting high quality output.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Friday night's OTB is a complete waste of time. 2 hours of pre-recorded slots with nothing up to date at all mentioned. Man City being banned from European competition for 2 years only getting a brief mention on the news was laughable, and on the night the league of Ireland started again.
    the Rugby and Horse racing seem so forced too, taking 30 minutes of content and stretching it out to and hour is not great radio.

it would be better to give the first hour to Team 33 if the lads want their Friday evenings off, and have shorter, more to the point rugby and racing in the second hour.

since it was clearly obvious that it was all pre recorded, how were they still advertising a competition too??

• Advertisement

So tell us how you really feel etc? The reason that they are there in their positions is that they have show competency in sports journalism/broadcasting/production to a quality deemed acceptable and more by Communicorp having cut their teeth somewhere else in radio. This is straightforward. if radio stations were to shrink at the whim of some forum poster because of a slew of ill conceived stream of conscious and invective posted here than there would be changes made every other day. All of this is subjective nonsense. They are far from perfect and yet try to and often do succeed in putting together good programming and content. They have to spread themselves very thinly in covering a lot of matierial and occasionally come short but by and large they are producing interesting high quality output.

Thats fine and your opinion. No problem. I said they have some good stuff on the podcast but i gave it my honest opinion. No big deal. We all see and hear things differently.

Friday night's OTB is a complete waste of time. 2 hours of pre-recorded slots with nothing up to date at all mentioned. Man City being banned from European competition for 2 years only getting a brief mention on the news was laughable, and on the night the league of Ireland started again.
    the Rugby and Horse racing seem so forced too, taking 30 minutes of content and stretching it out to and hour is not great radio.

it would be better to give the first hour to Team 33 if the lads want their Friday evenings off, and have shorter, more to the point rugby and racing in the second hour.

since it was clearly obvious that it was all pre recorded, how were they still advertising a competition too??

Agree. Possibly the worst broadcast of the week. And has been for years. Best avoided. Fri evenings for me is BBC 5 Live and comprehensive football chat.

Agree. Possibly the worst broadcast of the week. And has been for years. Best avoided. Fri evenings for me is BBC 5 Live and comprehensive football chat.

Friday night racing has had some really excellent interviews with people in the sport. I'm not a racing fan, but have really enjoyed a lot of them.

Think a lot of that might be down to Johnny Ward sourcing the guests for that slot.

Haven't heard the crappy quiz in quite a while and the last number of times i heard it, it didn't do much for me. I found it very entertaining when they first started it with Wooly, McIntyre and Nathan being quizzed by Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Interesting piece on today with a panel interview with referees from soccer, football and rugby.

Some good points raised during this.

Funny to hear Damien Delaneys thoughts after this on the difference between LOI and refs in England. Said the LOI boys were like strict school principals and wouldn't engage with players at all whereas their counterparts across the sea would have a bit of banter and hit you back with a few jibes as well.

BPKS wrote: »
    Interesting piece on today with a panel interview with referees from soccer, football and rugby.

Some good points raised during this.

Funny to hear Damien Delaneys thoughts after this on the difference between LOI and refs in England. Said the LOI boys were like strict school principals and wouldn't engage with players at all whereas their counterparts across the sea would have a bit of banter and hit you back with a few jibes as well.

Remember Barry Murphy was miked up for a documentary before and I think he was fairly comfortable with the players. Rugby is interesting in that you can hear everything the ref's say in televised games.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Cliona Foley on again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cliona Foley on again....

I find Cliona a good contributor but the fella on with her today was incomprehensible. Had to turn off as couldn't understand a word from him

Cliina 'beautiful piece' Foley. Has she ever read anything that was pure horse manure like the rest of us? And that laugh... like nails on a chalk board.

deisedude wrote: »
    I find Cliona a good contributor but the fella on with her today was incomprehensible. Had to turn off as couldn't understand a word from him

Mark Gallagher. Excellent writer. Wears a hearing aid and has slight issue with his speech as a result of his hearing. I had no problem understanding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

deisedude wrote: »
    I thought my laptop volume was playing up with him. Very bizarre was he nervous or something? I've never seen him before. Couldn't understand him at all I was thinking that was the reason Molloy jumped in over the top of him a few times.

• Advertisement

Cliina 'beautiful piece' Foley. Has she ever read anything that was pure horse manure like the rest of us? And that laugh... like nails on a chalk board.

The press pack is a small one and they all know each other very well and are never going to be critical. Cliona takes it to another level though!

The press pack is a small one and they all know each other very well and are never going to be critical. Cliona takes it to another level though!

She's alright. I love sport so will listen to any of them on it. But not live. I always catch up on the Sunday Paper Review on the Podcast tomorrow or during the week. Sunday has too much good live sport to be listening to stuff you can catch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've been thinking that for ages it was actually half the reason I stopped watching for a while. They don't have to say an article is bad but don't salivate constantly over the writer either. Foley today was fawning over the other fella for about 5 mins. I get the article was a very heavy subject but at one stage I thought she was gonna get underneath the counter and give him his jollies.

The OTB Paper Review used to be a certain download every week. I'm not pushed on it either way nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Staggering how Tyson Fury gets a free pass considering all his past indiscretions.
    I suppose the lads wouldn't like to upset Andy Lee.

monstermag wrote: »
    Staggering how Tyson Fury gets a free pass considering all his past indiscretions.

They mention indiscretions, they're SJW snowflakes.
    They don't and they're at fault once again.

:confused::confused:

Connected to Daniel Kinahan yea? Your right nobody says anything bad about him. Between him and mcgregor they'd make you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

They mention indiscretions, they're SJW snowflakes.
    They don't and they're at fault once again.

:confused::confused:

What about his two year doping ban? no mention of it at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They mentioned the ban yesterday and were laughing at Fury's reasons for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

monstermag wrote: »

But everyone knows about this. It was widely reported at the time. Why bring it up again? What purpose does it serve when we all know about his past?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement