Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

It could be argue that Wexford have the most entertaining or 'Box Office' managers in both hurling and football at the moment.
    Enjoyed listening to Galvin (the part that was played on tonights show).

Ya Galvin is definitely box office. That's a big job he's taking on, begs the question why did he? What's in it for him? Is he getting paid? I'm particularly interested in the last question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

monstermag wrote: »
    Ya Galvin is definitely box office. That's a big job he's taking on, begs the question why did he? What's in it for him? Is he getting paid? I'm particularly interested in the last question.

I would suspect he is not doing it for the good of his health. Would even Jim Gavin go to Wexford and do it for nothing knowing that he is one of the guys who wouldn't even claim expenses during his time with Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The morning show was a great idea, but I much preferred when it was not Gilroy presenting in the mornings. I think Nathan is a far better choice for first thing in the morning - Things are less preachy and self righteous, and a lot more fun. But I do understand the staffing dilemma having shows at both ends of the day creates for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Eh what? He's likely getting up near 100k + expenses + car.

Do people really think they're doing it for the fun of it? These lads are getting big big money. Sure Davy is opening a restaurant with Lee Chin in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Interview with Dominic Day and George Kruis just now is excellent.
    They are putting their names to CBD products and are also current/former Saracens players.

Nathan asking so.e very pointed questions on topic of doping (CBD) and cheating (overpayment at Saracens).

They were definitely put in the spot a bit but handled it well.

• Advertisement

Giles: "I only know one of the young lads on the Liverpool team, James........... is it?"
    Nathan: "Jones".
    Giles: "Yeah Jones".

I'm surprised that OTB keep Giles on the show. He seems to give his best interviews to Dunphy, or maybe Dunphy is just better at handling him. But his interviews with OTB are getting poorer and poorer. You'd wonder how long they can keep him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Eh what? He's likely getting up near 100k + expenses + car.

Do people really think they're doing it for the fun of it? These lads are getting big big money. Sure Davy is opening a restaurant with Lee Chin in Wexford.

Your having me on, no way in hell is he getting "100k"

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dowend

How bad is John Duggan’s new segment on golf betting?? He’s like a parody....so full of himself it’s unbelievable! For example, on last Friday’s OTBAM he bragged about a 150/1 winner he had on golf in 2008. Claims to know more about sports than he actually does. Always switch off when he comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Interview with Dominic Day and George Kruis just now is excellent.
    They are putting their names to CBD products and are also current/former Saracens players.

Nathan asking so.e very pointed questions on topic of doping (CBD) and cheating (overpayment at Saracens).

They were definitely put in the spot a bit but handled it well.

If you ask me (I know you didn’t) all he did was try to make the lads admit how immoral all of this painkiller/cannabis taking culture was. Thankfully they just brushed it off and gave him a figurative up yours. Thanks Nathan, we know where you now stand on these issues, thanks for interviewing yourself.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    If you ask me (I know you didn’t) all he did was try to make the lads admit how immoral all of this painkiller/cannabis taking culture was. Thankfully they just brushed it off and gave him a figurative up yours. Thanks Nathan, we know where you now stand on these issues, thanks for interviewing yourself.

I thought it was an interesting conversation. Both that and about the finding against Saracens for illicit pay deals.

You can't fault an interviewer for asking particular questions just because you disagree with them. Some people are of the 'let them all dope' viewpoint, thankfully, most aren't.

• Advertisement

Your having me on, no way in hell is he getting "100k"

I know 100% for a fact that a certain manager for a small county in the west was getting 60k a year plus expenses plus sponsors car.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Dowend wrote: »
    How bad is John Duggan’s new segment on golf betting?? He’s like a parody....so full of himself it’s unbelievable! For example, on last Friday’s OTBAM he bragged about a 150/1 winner he had on golf in 2008. Claims to know more about sports than he actually does. Always switch off when he comes on.

LOVES telling the story how he bought his 'expensive' suit jacket after a big winner at cheltenham years ago too, brings it up every year. Can't listen to him.

I thought it was an interesting conversation. Both that and about the finding against Saracens for illicit pay deals.

You can't fault an interviewer for asking particular questions just because you disagree with them. Some people are of the 'let them all dope' viewpoint, thankfully, most aren't.

But they aren’t doping. None of this is illegal but of course OTB have an issue with it regardless.

But they aren’t doping. None of this is illegal but of course OTB have an issue with it regardless.

As I said, I find it an interesting conversation, irrespective of the forum on which it is held.

The questions about CBD possibly giving people a unique advantage through helping them to calm their nerves is at least worth asking if not simply stating that it is doping.

I know 100% for a fact that a certain manager for a small county in the west was getting 60k a year plus expenses plus sponsors car.

If you know it for a fact, and you are anonymous here, can you tell us the county and how you know it?

I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but as long as things like this are said with a wink and a nudge, it'll continue.

If it's true, and someone like Mark Tighe turns his focus on to it, it could make the FAI look like amateurs by comparison.

As I said, I find it an interesting conversation, irrespective of the forum on which it is held.

The questions about CBD possibly giving people a unique advantage through helping them to calm their nerves is at least worth asking if not simply stating that it is doping.

That's such a stupid point of view because lads are throwing creating into them and pumping themselves with injections to give them performance boosts.

If you know it for a fact, and you are anonymous here, can you tell us the county and how you know it?

I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but as long as things like this are said with a wink and a nudge, it'll continue.

If it's true, and someone like Mark Tighe turns his focus on to it, it could make the FAI look like amateurs by comparison.

I'm anonymous on here. All I can say is that the person who told me would be in direct contact with the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dowend wrote: »

He's a dose alright. OTB either seem to have good presenters or insufferable ones.

Not a fan of Joe Brolly but his line about Ger Gilroy's interview with Mick O'Connell a few years ago was a gift to us all.

"It was like Seamus Heaney being cross-examined by Ant and Dec."

By the sounds of it, Gilroy didn't take too kindly to it at the time and the two boys have a bit of previous.

By the sounds of it, Gilroy didn't take too kindly to it at the time and the two boys have a bit of previous.

Just look at his face on the video of the Brolly interview, he certainly didn't like that one. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Not a fan of Joe Brolly but his line about Ger Gilroy's interview with Mick O'Connell a few years ago was a gift to us all.

"It was like Seamus Heaney being cross-examined by Ant and Dec."

Just look at his face on the video of the Brolly interview, he certainly didn't like that one. :pac:

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/mick-o-connell-off-the-ball-355882

Oddly enough and contrary to Brolly's opinion he gave himself an absolutely glowing review of the interview on his own site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Seems like Alan Quinlan is on every bloody day. Does loads of tv work too. Surely it would be better to spread out the work amongst past player a bit more? Getting sick of himself and Keith Wood at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Seems like Alan Quinlan is on every bloody day. Does loads of tv work too. Surely it would be better to spread out the work amongst past player a bit more? Getting sick of himself and Keith Wood at this stage..

Think he's employed by NT so doesn't cost them to have him on

That is literally his job......

That is literally his job......

To go missing for months and then do a few weeks of everyday on the trot? If its "literally his job"...have you contract details? because it seems odd.

Furthermore and more to the point, he is absolutely sh*te, but undoubtedly he's up there with the best in sports journalism in your eyes.

To go missing for months and then do a few weeks of everyday on the trot? If its "literally his job"...have you contract details? because it seems odd.

Furthermore and more to the point, he is absolutely sh*te, but undoubtedly he's up there with the best in sports journalism in your eyes.

You really bring a lot of insight and nuanced debate to the thread don't you.

You really bring a lot of insight and nuanced debate to the thread don't you.

Your usual response is to insult rather than defend your opinion. I've pointed this out to you before. Snide remark after snide remark and then report a poster for responding. No substance to any of your responses, just insult and retreat. It's pathetic.

Try this..."Alan Quinlan is a valuable member of Newstalk and is a very talented sports journalist because...."

I'll respond with why I think he is absolutely useless. That's 'discussion' which you were so much in favour of previously, yet totally incapable of doing so yourself.

Great paper review yesterday. Lots of gender and race politics of course, yet very little sport? We even had a feminist camogie player who was quite categorical about her coaching superiority at intercounty level over men. “I know more” she said. Come on TMH. I want to hear your angle of defence on this one. I’m sure it’s interesting.

Great paper review yesterday. Lots of gender and race politics of course, yet very little sport? We even had a feminist camogie player who was quite categorical about her coaching superiority at intercounty level over men. “I know more” she said. Come on TMH. I want to hear your angle of defence on this one. I’m sure it’s interesting.

Haven't heard yesterdays newspaper round but I'll still take a stab at responding.

My guess is that you either misunderstood what she said or are (deliberately or unintentionally, I'm not sure) taking it out of context. I may get to listen to it during the week and if so, will respond in greater detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Can someone post a link to this video

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement