Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah but they made an initial judgment on this, they backed Cora Staunton's team without hearing the other side. And when they found out that they were wrong, they just dropped the story. But that is the way that a lot of things work in the media - they put massive focus on stories that substantiate their own views, and completely bury those stories to the contrary.

Ah now, but it wasn’t like that, G. Right and wrong in that one was a bit of a “minefield”.

Were you close to it yourself? My partner has family out that way, I had a chat with one of them who plays GAA and knows a few of the players and club members. From what I gathered both sides had “grievances”.

The fact that one player had a large public profile and was, somewhat, media friendly meant they would always be talking to her. I’m almost certain I heard them talking to a player and the manager at one point. The story “died” because neither side would give out the full details while the story was fresh.

But, look, if you want to believe these lads are a bunch of oestrogen injecting cuck soy boys who want the island of Ireland under sharia law there’s not much I can say to stop you but I would suggest switching the “dial”.

There must be something on the airwaves for you and your ilk. Niall Boylan’s show, maybe? I don’t know but happy hunting!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I’m pretty sure one of the Listen Back “combers” would have gone off on one if these things weren’t addressed.

Does anyone really think that they would purposefully ignore a “prominent” news story that people would be interested in?

Yes, they were discussing it while it was a “current event”. Maybe they could do a, sort of, “look back” piece on it someday but it’s old news now. If they were still talking about it now no one would be listening.

Do you remember when Drew Harris’ car crashed while entering Garda HQ? Some people on this site wanted that story to run forever, there was even talk that it would bring down the government but then the news moved on and people wanted to hear about something else.

Sure the whole Maria Bailey thing had the arse dragged out of it for so long people were clogging up the thread on this site with complaints over their own, personal, car insurance renewals.

If you have a serious interest in the Mayo women’s GAA “incident” I would suggest you investigate things yourself and then start up a podcast dealing with all of the evidence, coupled with the opinions of those closely linked to it. Who knows, maybe there are others, like you, who still want to hear about it.

No I have zero interest in Mayo Girls GAA. It was the Off the Ball fascination with the story that I found odd. Another chance for them to show their woke-ness only to be stymied by the facts.

No I have zero interest in Mayo Girls GAA. It was the Off the Ball fascination with the story that I found odd. Another chance for them to show their woke-ness only to be stymied by the facts.

What am I missing here? Is it “woke” because they’re covering women’s GAA?

A player “strike”, or any unhappiness within a camp, will always be reported on. OTB wasn’t the only show discussing it.

Is it “woke” because people seem to think they backed Cora Staunton? What about the ones who backed the manager? There were players on who weren’t on the side of the striking players. Were those ones “alt-right” then?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

A player “strike”, or any unhappiness within a camp, will always be reported on. OTB wasn’t the only show discussing it.

Is it “woke” because people seem to think they backed Cora Staunton? What about the ones who backed the manager? There were players on who weren’t on the side of the striking players. Were those ones “alt-right” then?

OTB were OTT with the story and also very very one sided in their coverage.

To be fair, I think they got their coverage of this story badly wrong. They went all in on the story initially and gave it huge prominence. While it wasn't straightforward, it became pretty clear after a while that they never covered or sought the other side of the story. When it transpired that the players who walked away had overstepped the mark and had made accusations and used language about the manager that were were badly judged and, at times, untrue, it was left to other media outlets to give the full picture. OTB - and Ger Gilroy in particular - was left with egg on its face and instead of fronting up and accepting they made mistakes in their coverage, they let the story slip off the radar and stopped giving it the prominence they had.

When they allowed Giles to read out a prepared statement about the foundation, they didn't cover themselves in glory either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What were the 'facts'?

Peter Leahy appeared on Colm Parkinsons podcast and Colm covered it fairly extensively from that angle so would you say he was fascinated also? Or that it was odd?

I think Peter was invited on to OTB but choose not to attend (I could be wrong there).

Both shows seemed to let the story fade away pretty much simultaneously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Parkinson was pretty critical of OTB's coverage of the story and then he had the Manager on.

As for how they treated Giles I don't think they could have done anymore. Once he said he was in contact with his solicitors that's that really. They had asked him in the past about the FAI and Delaney so not much more they could have done.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Parkinson was pretty critical of OTB's coverage of the story and then he had the Manager on.

As for how they treated Giles I don't think they could have done anymore. Once he said he was in contact with his solicitors that's that really. They had asked him in the past about the FAI and Delaney so not much more they could have done.

They allowed him on to read a prepared statement and agreed not to ask him a single question. His statement attacked the Sunday Times, who were not then given the opportunity to respond. Shoddy standards all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

What were the 'facts'?

Peter Leahy appeared on Colm Parkinsons podcast and Colm covered it fairly extensively from that angle so would you say he was fascinated also? Or that it was odd?

I think Peter was invited on to OTB but choose not to attend (I could be wrong there).

Both shows seemed to let the story fade away pretty much simultaneously.

I was wondering how long it would take you to put forward your obligatory OTB defence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They allowed him on to read a prepared statement and agreed not to ask him a single question. His statement attacked the Sunday Times, who were not then given the opportunity to respond. Shoddy standards all round.

That's a fair point.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take you to put forward your obligatory OTB defence.

How long before you figure out its usually just after some obligatory nonsensical complaint?

Love how day after day there's posts about the show being full of snowflakes by people who get very upset when they're challenged on it.

Seriously, go do something you enjoy. Not for my benefit, for yours.

How long before you figure out its usually just after some obligatory nonsensical complaint?

Love how day after day there's posts about the show being full of snowflakes by people who get very upset when they're challenged on it.

Seriously, go do something you enjoy. Not for my benefit, for yours.

Nonsensical in your opinion. Every comment can’t possibly fit that description but what is certain is that no matter the credibility of the comment, you’ll be along to defend against it like clockwork. I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Nonsensical in your opinion. Every comment can’t possibly fit that description but what is certain is that no matter the credibility of the comment, you’ll be along to defend against it like clockwork. I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Yeah, it's nonsensical that every one of your comments is complaining but it's a given that every one of my comments is defending......

And, say we are both right... I'm talking all the time about something I enjoy, you are focused on something you hate. What does that say?

A stopped clock might be right twice a day, but using the same analogy, you're a digital one with no batteries in it.

Yeah, it's nonsensical that every one of your comments is complaining but it's a given that every one of my comments is defending......

And, say we are both right... I'm talking all the time about something I enjoy, you are focused on something you hate. What does that say?

A stopped clock might be right twice a day, but using the same analogy, you're a digital one with no batteries in it.

Come on you can do better than that. By that analogy, I wouldn’t make any comments at all. You can think for yourself can’t you? Can’t you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Oh my god stop ****ing talking about dancing on ice. just spent 5 minutes discussing it with Stephen hunt and he spent 10 minutes at the start of the show another time this week talking about it. No one cares about that gob****e Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Oh my god stop ****ing talking about dancing on ice. just spent 5 minutes discussing it with Stephen hunt and he spent 10 minutes at the start of the show another time this week talking about it. No one cares about that gob****e Kilbane.

there was a substantial amount of discussion dedicated to the royal family and recent events the other day, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

there was a substantial amount of discussion dedicated to the royal family and recent events the other day, bizarre.

They seem to be delving in to current affairs more.

I always suspected that Ger, Joe and Richie would prefer to be involved in a current affairs show aa opposed to sport.

redbuck wrote: »
    They seem to be delving in to current affairs more.

I always suspected that Ger, Joe and Richie would prefer to be involved in a current affairs show aa opposed to sport.

Come on lads, it's not bizarre. Everyone in media was talking about it. Particularly on a platform where they are outputting 30+ hours a week.

As for the preference of presenters.

Gilroy went to current affairs and came back to sport and pushing it forward in terms of shows and content.
    Molloy started out as researched on a drive time show (Hook I think) and has moved in to sport, leading to Rugby gig on Virgin.
    Richie I suspect would rather Tom Dunnes music show role as opposed to a CA one.

Ye are just going to have to accept that the days of teletext and nothing more than scores and scorers counting as sports media are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Come on lads, it's not bizarre. Everyone in media was talking about it. Particularly on a platform where they are outputting 30+ hours a week.

Gilroy went to current affairs and came back to sport and pushing it forward in terms of shows and content.
    Molloy started out as researched on a drive time show (Hook I think) and has moved in to sport, leading to Rugby gig on Virgin.
    Richie I suspect would rather Tom Dunnes music show role as opposed to a CA one.

Ye are just going to have to accept that the days of teletext and nothing more than scores and scorers counting as sports media are gone.

Gilroy didn’t come back willingly, he got axed if I recall correctly.

Not sure what your rambling at the end about teletext scores has to do with anything?

I listened to a good few hours of UK based Talk Sport last week, far more than OTB. Wasn’t a whisper about the royals or anything much outside of the sporting world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Another twenty minutes on Kilbane, they are like a bunch of old women, gossiping and making "jokes" now about Kilbane and his partner. I turned off before they start singing "Kevin and Brianne, sitting in a tree. "

Another twenty minutes on Kilbane, they are like a bunch of old women, gossiping and making "jokes" now about Kilbane and his partner. I turned off before they start singing "Kevin and Brianne, sitting in a tree. "

And you lasted the whole 20 minutes, G? I’d have turned off long before that, if it was something that annoyed, or irritated, me.

Did they start talking sports after they’d finish talking about Kilbane’s dancing? Sounds like you “weathered” the storm but then just gave up.

And you lasted the whole 20 minutes, G? I’d have turned off long before that, if it was something that annoyed, or irritated, me.

Did they start talking sports after they’d finish talking about Kilbane’s dancing? Sounds like you “weathered” the storm but then just gave up.

Their stupid Kilbane/Dancing on Ice nonsense is something suited for the canteen, not national airwaves. No one cares if you're going over and might miss Kilbane.

Ah it's just a bit of fun, no harm in it.

They are on for 3 hours after all.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ah it's just a bit of fun, no harm in it.

They are on for 3 hours after all.

No harm as in what? As in its harmless? It's harmful in the sense that the show they are being paid to produce and present is not about doing regular promo muck for some muppet doing some self serving skating on ice garbage...which for the most part, I am assuming the listener-ship dont give a flying f*ck about.

No harm as in what? As in its harmless? It's harmful in the sense that the show they are being paid to produce and present is not about doing regular promo muck for some muppet doing some self serving skating on ice garbage...which for the most part, I am assuming the listener-ship dont give a flying f*ck about.

Here's an idea - why don't you just stop listening to the show that you seem to have so much hatred towards?

Have to agree, it made for awful radio. I like Nathan, but he's started sounding increasingly shrill and like an excited schoolgirl on the show at times of late. He needs to calm down as he's not easy to listen to when he's in that mode.

Here's an idea - why don't you just stop listening to the show that you seem to have so much hatred towards?

Stock answer for criticism on any show on this forum, save it. I listen to the show still and sometimes they really hit the nail on the head, great interview or paper review. They provide great live updates of all games in every sport and focus on Irish sport. This is key as we really don't have many alternatives. OTB is extremely hot and cold, so I do listen but then you have the real lows where you have to listen about dancing on ice or 'the bants' and a group of lads that don't seem to actually like each other or gel. An Irish version of TalkSport and I'm happy.

It could be argue that Wexford have the most entertaining or 'Box Office' managers in both hurling and football at the moment.
    Enjoyed listening to Galvin (the part that was played on tonights show).

• Advertisement

It could be argue that Wexford have the most entertaining or 'Box Office' managers in both hurling and football at the moment.
    Enjoyed listening to Galvin (the part that was played on tonights show).

Had to switch over actually listening to Galvin. Most boring person speak ever.

"yeah........emm....."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement