Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'm not happy with this, I'm a big fan of Off the Ball, but it's a bit ridiculous that George Hook is getting stick for this from some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

If you ask me its all bout ger gilroy.Couple years back when he stepped down as presenter he was set to take on the television world but didnt work out for him.

So i reckon he started to throw his dummy out of his pram and this is what we get now a soulless non - personality. That will be 1 less listener in my house

Didn't Ger move to breakfast with Claire Byrne then?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

soc160 wrote: »
    Didn't Ger move to breakfast with Claire Byrne then?

Jesus that was painful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aidric wrote: »
    It is widely regarded as the best sports show on radio, not just within Ireland but also abroad. Just look at the reaction on twitter from British and European football writers and commentators.

Therefore, yes, I do consider them to be prized assets.

From a cold-hearted, strictly business point of view though, the show was critically acclaimed, but (if I remember the figures correctly) their listenership performance was far from brilliant.

On a personal note, I'm absolutely devastated by this. There is now absolutely no reason for me to turn on Newstalk. Ever. Radio might as well shut down after 7pm now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ger Gilroy is getting a load of abuse over the place which is consolation of sorts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    From a cold-hearted, strictly business point of view though, the show was critically acclaimed, but (if I remember the figures correctly) their listenership performance was far from brilliant.

But I would think that sports programming would always be considered quite niche in it's reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

On a personal note, I'm absolutely devastated by this. There is now absolutely no reason for me to turn on Newstalk. Ever. Radio might as well shut down after 7pm now. :(

Devastated?
    The lads were funny and refreshing but "devastated"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

So it turns out they *are* going home?

...those boys.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Aidric wrote: »
    But I would think that sports programming would always be considered quite niche in it's reach?

Very true. But maybe the lads were pushing for more money because of their consistent critical acclaim and NT were having none of it because of the figures.

Or maybe Newstalk wanted them to shake up the format in order to get more listeners and the lads were having none of it.

I think this stuff about the hour from G. Hook is a bit of a red herring tbh. Can't see 5 lads jacking in their jobs because they didn't get an extra hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Lucutus wrote: »
    So it turns out they *are* going home?

...those boys.

Jack Charlton is taking them out for fish and chips. Because he likes fish and chips, and the presenters like fish and chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

No comment from the lads as it incredibly seems that none of them have a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Jack Charlton is taking them out for fish and chips. Because he likes fish and chips, and the presenters like fish and chips.

Now Gilroy can be first captain, second captain, whatever...

Devastated?
    The lads were funny and refreshing but "devastated"?

Yes, "devastated". They've been part of my life for 5+ years. Part of my daily routine.

TheOldHand wrote: »
    No comment from the lads as it incredibly seems that none of them have a mobile phone.

Informal statements say they're going to do everything they can to present radio again... :P

Ger better not use the Toto Schillaci intro

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Informal statements say they're going to do everything they can to present radio again... :P

I honestly think they may struggle. Desmond has it sewn up, so if RTE isn't a goer - and it isn't because they have a moratorium on hiring - then they're kind screwed. Just look at Eamon Keane's career path since leaving Newstalk lunchtime.

4FM may be an option but they're not fully national.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Could they be moving to the 'big league' across the water I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Will be weird hearing John Giles repeating Ger's name over and over on Thursday's instead of Eoin's!

I honestly think they may struggle. Desmond has it sewn up, so if RTE isn't a goer - and it isn't because they have a moratorium on hiring - then they're kind screwed. Just look at Eamon Keane's career path since leaving Newstalk lunchtime.

4FM may be an option but they're not fully national.

Or maybe George Hook's "off to seek fame and fortune elsewhere" might suggest they're looking outside of Ireland?

I'd agree with you though, there's no real place for them to go on Irish radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Someone obviously already made them an offer they couldn't refuse. My guess would be 98fm.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Someone obviously already made them an offer they couldn't refuse. My guess would be 98fm.

Not a chance.

If it were 98FM, this story wouldn't have broken the way it has. It'd have been done in a similar fashion to Ray Foley's "transfer" last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Please don't go to a Dublin only station, but sure isn't 98FM owned by Newstalk anyway?

Hopefully 2FM is where they'll wind up, they're doing a bit of live coverage now of Champions League games, that'd be good with Ken Early commentating for them...

We shall wait and see, I'm guessing that with all 5 resigning en-masse they have something lined up. Right? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dulpit wrote: »
    Hopefully 2FM is where they'll wind up, they're doing a bit of live coverage now of Champions League games, that'd be good with Ken Early commentating for them...

You are joking? He kills every NT Sunday Prem game he covers (I wondered above about NT having CL matches but was obviously wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Goddamit, I'm sickened. Listen to this every night on my way to and from work, I actually look forward to going to work as it gives me the time to listen to the lads in comfort.
    Where now am I going to hear a cocky Galway man make smartass comments to Keith Wood?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

TheOldHand wrote: »

How could they not have a mobile phone????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

How could they not have a mobile phone????:D

Why should they????

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I don't think so. They have been the most listened to show at that time of night for years and they were the only independent radio programme that had higher figures than RTE Radio 1 in any time slot.

Them being poached by RTE is the only thing that really makes sense. Resigning on a point of principle would be very brave in the current climate.

Weeknights just won't be the same without Ken's Football Show. I'm gutted.:(

jordainius wrote: »
    Why should they????
    WHAAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Good luck to them, they made the right call with finishing at NoNewstalk.

Would love to see them take over The Premiership on RTE Saturday nights and for ROI soccer games. Time to pension off Bill, Peter, Chippy and Eamon. Giles is a legend, and can stay....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement