Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    That could be station level pressure, not sea level.

true, just checked with him there though and hes only at 50m asl

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When is that 34mm since?

2am this morning. At 35.0mm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

DOCARCH wrote: »
    When is that 34mm since?

2am this morning. At 35.0mm now.

Thats impressive. Thats way ahead of what the models are showing. Just goes to show how locals effects come into play.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thats impressive. Thats way ahead of what the models are showing. Just goes to show how locals effects come in to play.

Yeah, was just saying that this morning elsewhere that models really do not seem to model the intensity of rainfall we can get here in (the higher parts of) south Dublin, just under the mountians, with incoming rain from the north and north east. I think MT alluded to it earlier.

Reminiscent of last October! At 36.8mm now.

Thats impressive. Thats way ahead of what the models are showing. Just goes to show how locals effects come in to play.

Yeah, was just saying that this morning elsewhere that models really do not seem to model the intensity of rainfall we can get here in (the higher parts of) south Dublin, just under the mountians, with incoming rain from the north and north east. I think MT alluded to it earlier.

What was your record last October?

The 06Z NAE is showing totals of around 35mm not being reached there until midnight, and then over 70mm by 36 hours. But youv've already got almost 38mm already, so.... ;)

Edit: I mean NMM not NAE.

• Advertisement

What was your record last October?

Recorded 125.4mm between 0900 on the 23rd and 0900 on the 25th (the majority of that fell in the afternoon and evening of the 24th - which resulted in the torrent through the Dundrum SC).

The 06Z NAE is showing totals of around 35mm not being reached there until midnight, and then over 70mm by 36 hours. But youv've already got almost 38mm already, so.... ;)

At 39.6mm now.

41.0mm now but rain has eased a little to 5.2mm/hr.

42.0mm now. Rain rate 12.8mm/hr atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The heavy pulses of rain are beginning to get heavier & lasting longer,will be alot of surface water on the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

delw wrote: »
    The heavy pulses of rain are beginning to get heavier & lasting longer,will be alot of surface water on the roads

Yeah only noticed that pulsing in the last half hour, great timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

41.0mm now but rain has eased a little to 5.2mm/hr.

42.0mm now. Rain rate 12.8mm/hr atm.
    still roughly half of your total here - 23mm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

whoa you shoud pm the met with that...could get haIry in se dub tonight

Up to 45.0mm now. Rain has lightened a bit. Rain rate of 5.2mm/hr now.

In case people are wondering.....yes.....my rain guage settings (Davis VP2) are all correct and in order! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

still a lot of rain over Dublin.

They will go over 40mm there or even 50mm

Rest of country not as bad trace to 25mm

Theres a lot of rain rolling in off Irish sea www.raintoday.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Just put another batch of clothing on the line outside ... And had a cup of tea in the sun .... That system keeps hovering over Dublin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

weisses wrote: »
    Just put another batch of clothing on the line outside ... And had a cup of tea in the sun .... That system keeps hovering over Dublin :eek:

Just like the October event. Could easily get messy if this rain rate holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Light rain started here around 20 minutes ago. Nothing registered in the AWS yet. Cool at 10.1c with the max of just 10.3c recorded earlier!

In case people are wondering.....yes.....my rain guage settings (Davis VP2) are all correct and in order! :)

Youre looking good for 100mm by tomorrow evening if it goes as forecast and if the heavier stuff doesnt miss you.

Up to 48.0mm now. Rain is incessant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I believe you! I remember how heavy the rain can be in that part of south dublin from when I used to live near Sandyford. The rain would be light enough in UCD but as Id cycle home up the hill to gain about 70m altitude the rain would get heavier and heavier.
    I could only imagine what it would be like up on Kippure or around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

I was right to cancel the outdoor work in Louth today. Raining very heavy here since about 12pm. Roads covered in puddles and fields showing some lying water. Still relatively calm though there was a few noticeable gusts a while back during a heavy burst of rain. Is it going to continue for the night? Also a few people have mentioned very strong winds later...is this likely to materialise?

• Advertisement

Also a few people have mentioned very strong winds later...is this likely to materialise?

If it does, this will complicate matters further by blowing leaves from trees which can only assist in blocking drains - one to watch out for.

BTW, now at 49.0mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Yea I work in Sandyford and it been really heavy since around 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Glimpse of sunshine here now!!! 9.8c.

Danno wrote: »
    Glimpse of sunshine here now!!! 9.8c.

Bloody hell! :p

Has just reached 50.0mm here now. I declare an.....

......event.

The latest national forecast doesn't sound too bad? :)
    Today

A few clear spells in the far southwest, but generally cloudy or overcast with outbreaks of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Is there a site which shows the accumulated total rainfall for the day for the Met Eireann stations?

The latest national forecast doesn't sound too bad? :)

If you read the whole forecast there may be no let up in the rain for the east coast until Wednesday evening! :eek:

Just passed the 2 inch mark here. 51.2mm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

The rain has started to become heavier here.

I was half expecting Estofex to issue a warning for excessive precipitation for Ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

srmambo wrote: »
    The rain has started to become heavier here.

I was half expecting Estofex to issue a warning for excessive precipitation for Ireland :P
    Were's here srmambo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

delw wrote: »
    Were's here srmambo

In the Arklow area.

The rain is somewhat heavier and persistent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement