Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pics o' dem guages there you two :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dub56 wrote: »
    Just to back up DOCARCH s readings.I'm living not far from his location.

Need to bring back Wild Bill - he had a VP2 as well in Sandyford and he always got similar rainfall amounts to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I just new you would query my totals.....you always do! I could see you chomping at the bit yesterday.

No not at all, not sure what gave you that idea. I just posted my and DL's totals yesterday for MT's benefit. A few years ago I had my collector sited on my metal boilerhouse roof and it would pick up splashes off the roof in heavy rain. I was just checking that yours wasn't similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes.....rain guage is approx. 2m off the ground and away from walls, trees, etc., and rain guage is clean (cleaned it the other day in advance of this event)

I'd suggest you back up up your WS with a manual rain gauge. After one severe event in my town, I was showing no rain, if it was not for my empty rain collectors and manual gauge, I'd have thought my unit broken.

Occasionally, it's the reverse and I'm the only one showing rain ~ I always check my manual collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Latest figures for Northern Ireland from a couple of hours ago:

Belfast 78mm
    Killylane in Co. Down 90.2mm
    Castlederg 19.6mm

Here in NE Kilkenny 0.4mm yesterday and since midnight 6.2mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Met Office Storms ‏@metofficestorms
    Ravensworth in North Yorkshire has recorded 109.4mm (4.3") in the last 34 hours and it is still raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

The boys have started work on the bridge. The stream is not flooded yet up to two inches of rainfall has fallen across the North East. It must be due to the length of the rain spell which has spread the amounts out over a long period. Also no wind yet. Dead calm in South Armagh. Calm before the storm or is the wind event all hype?
    I am looking forward to see what the afternoon and evening brings

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Yes.....rain guage is approx. 2m off the ground and away from walls, trees, etc., and rain guage is clean (cleaned it the other day in advance of this event) and settings are all correct (including on Weatherlink - i.e. it is not double counting).

Fact is that in this sort of set up, with rain from the north to north east, I always get much higher totals than any of the Met E Dublin stations. Bear in mind that DL is approx. 12km to my east and (obvioulsy) almost at sea level. Casement is approx. 12km to my west - different topography there. Dublin AP is probably 20km to my north (no high ground there to give orographic rain).

I just new you would query my totals.....you always do! I could see you chomping at the bit yesterday. :p

Drove from Dublin 4 to here yesterday at lunchtime - light rain there and moderate to heavy rain - I know that is not scientific and is only a snapshot in time (and obvioulsy localised) but I have that experience on a regular basis of arriving here to heavier rain in this type of set up.

BTW, 'Storm' total now stands at 77.0mm.

The only thing I might suggest, which is an issue I had with my old station, was that when there was heavy rain combined with strong winds, the wind would shake the rain gauge a little causing it to "tip" more and falsely record extra rain.
    Just something to be aware of I guess!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    The only thing I might suggest, which is an issue I had with my old station, was that when there was heavy rain combined with strong winds, the wind would shake the rain gauge a little causing it to "tip" more and falsely record extra rain.
    Just something to be aware of I guess!

Yes, that certainly used to happen with my old guage. New rain guage is (very) well secured. In addition, there has really been very little wind here over the last 36 hours.

Rain gone very light and patchy here for now.

Anyone know what the dodder is like currently?... gonna take a cycle down to see what the Tolka is like at the Glasnevin hill shortly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Was just looking at rain today radar. While there is no defined structure there looks like an eye developing. (well a clear bit with no rain in the middle). Is this lightly to devolop into something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Some Flood Reports from this morning.

221932.png
    221933.png
    221934.png
    221935.png
    221936.png

odyboody wrote: »
    Was just looking at rain today radar. While there is no defined structure there looks like an eye developing. (well a clear bit with no rain in the middle). Is this lightly to devolop into something?

Over Liverpool Bay? Looks like the new low centre developing as metioned in MT's forecast earlier - wind looks to be circulating around that clear slot.

Just very light rain here on and off this morning.

Redsunset wrote: »
    Some Flood Reports from this morning.

YOu go tell those AA Roadwatch peoples.....

PICS OR......... !!

:pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Not sure... but went out for a 'flood-drive' this morning (similar to a snow-drive) and the road at Portmarnock Driving Range is nicely flooded! (Nicely flooded = just the flood, no property damage)... impassible to cars, just 4x4s making it through

221939.png

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

That's the one! Druminagh Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the dodder is like currently?... gonna take a cycle down to see what the Tolka is like at the Glasnevin hill shortly...

Saw it at miltown bridge at 8.20 am and it was at its limit.

In Ranelagh now- Just patchy drizzle.

Sea foam in Aberdeen Scotland. Foam party anyone?

221941.jpeg

Redsunset wrote: »
    Sea foam in Aberdeen Scotland. Foam party anyone?

Wow! Cool!!! :)

• Advertisement

Mickey mouse rain here most of this morning. Spitting on and off. The rain should either p**s down or simply p**s off! :p Can't stand this stuff!

17.0mm since midnight. Storm total now 79.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

my high-tech water gauge out back(big old flower pot)has just over an inch of water in it,keep in mind its half full of soil so im sure that soaked up some water aswell,just something for me to keep eye on:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Malin now gusting to 55KT in the midday BST hourly up from c.40KT in most overnight hourlies. It was gusting to 45Kt around 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Malin now gusting to 55KT in the midday BST hourly up from c.40KT in most overnight hourlies. It was gusting to 45Kt around 8am.

Sustained 44kt aswell.

Only a few knots off Storm Force 10

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Some pics from NI,

Donaghadee, Co Down:
    _63097764_391578_473940049304555_599021651_n.jpg

"It was also a colder day than normal on Monday.

Several Met Office stations recorded their coldest September day on record.

They include Glenanne (Armagh), Altnahinch (Antrim), and Lough Fea (Tyrone)."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19714290

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

All nice quiet in Eastpoint. Just a normal day with a bit of rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wind can't be far off storm force here at the moment, I'm right on the coast on relatively high ground totally exposed to the north so think were getting the full force of it here. Probably the strongest wind I've experienced since the storm last January, sea is going mental as well!

Gonna take drive up to the cliffs in an hour to see what its like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady light rain all day, just meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The radar is showing how the Wicklow mountains are doing a great impression of the Isle of Man shadow that we see in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

All quiet here in Santry, no rain to speak of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement