Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Rain is still wet here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

only one
    Banned for trolling. Repetitive Pointless posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Just finished a 30min spell of continuous heavy rain in Dublin 6, only a light drizzle now though. Winds still fairly calm.

Anyone else spotted an odd green haze in the sky roughly in the Kildare direction? I know that's a fairly vague though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Forecast after 9 o clock news mentioned the likelihood of Flooding for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Just finished a 30min spell of continuous heavy rain in Dublin 6, only a light drizzle now though. Winds still fairly calm.

Anyone else spotted an odd green haze in the sky roughly in the Kildare direction? I know that's a fairly vague though!
    there was a tread a while back about a green haze over newbridge it turned out to be the lights from a local football grounds maybe that what you see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain total here has now reached 60.0mm today. Light rain continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2129 Met Eireann update. Summary: Further spells of heavy rain tonight and daytime Tuesday with flooding in places. Tonight

Cloudy tonight with spells of heavy rain.
    Lowest temperatures 6 to 9 degrees. Very windy in the north and northwest with gales. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Overcast Tuesday morning with scattered outbreaks of rain, heavy in places especially in the east.
    Some sunny spells will develop during the day but there will be heavy showers also.
    Cold and very windy; highest temperatures only 11 to 13 degrees with northerly gales developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

ogimet has 30mm in casement and dublin up to 6pm today. prob 40mm by midnight.

Most of the heavy persistent rain has been focussed on the Dublin region. The very dry September means that unless there are totals of 60mm flooding should not be a problem.

However after tomorrow is over the total rainfall from this low could well be 60mm for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

26.3 mm here in Celbridge. 30.5 mm at Dun Laoghaire harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Very quite around athlone area small amount of rain earlier light breeze blowing now. Is this the calm before the storm or will the midlands escape the worst of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

raintoday seems to be struggling a bit. The fascination with the weather always fascinates me. :pac:

100 viewing the forum. Any idea what the peak readership was during the height of the snows of 10 / 11 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Saganist wrote: »
    Any idea what the peak readership was during the height of the snows of 10 / 11 ?

1 in 4 of all Boards users were in this forum at the time. :)

WFstats21hoursDec01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

33mm so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its five to midnight....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

rain very heavy again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Can someone give a rundown of what the 18Z outputs are saying?? - I think I'm getting the flu and haven't the energy myself:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

0.8mm/hr rate at the moment with 41.00mm recorded over last 24 hours.

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

24hr rainfall distribution and totals up to 12.30am tonight.

221919.png

East, north and along the west coast doing well. E Connacht, E Munster and S Leinster missing out as usual. ( just 2.0mm 24hr total here for example...:o)

From Netweather.tv.

Edit:
    24hr totals up to 0000 UTC from Ogimet. A lot of station data not available at this point:

Dublin Apt/ Casement Aerodrom: 37.0mm
    Malin Head: 14.0 mm
    Mullingar: 13.3 mm

http://tinyurl.com/Ogimet-0000-UTC-reports

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Roads flooded up North. Rain and wind I love it.

Here's hoping no one dies or loses property in this.

Fingers crossed, and lets keep that at the forefront of any "enjoyment" people may get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just after driving home now, conditions worse than I expected here in north Donegal, don't have any stats but a constant roar from the wind and rain driving against the windows. Nothing too serious but roads are covered in leaves and small branches and there's a lot of standing water about. The strong wind seems to be concentrated in north Donegal at the moment with Malin almost 20kts stronger than the next nearest station

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain overnight not as heavy as I expected but still have got 10.6mm since midnight on top of 62.6mm up to midnight. 'Storm' total now stands at 73.2mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

still heavy enough rain here in north meath, 24 hours non stop now, lucky i live on a hill, wind starting to pick up to. working outside today, so bring it on :)

Although looking at raintoday and met eireann charts, it could be breaking up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Still raining here in Rush in North county Dublin. Fairly bad flooding. Most roads impassible by car. Local taxi companies not running either. Dublin Bus maybe your only hope for getting to work but that's a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

marcoz wrote: »
    Still raining here in Rush in North county Dublin. Fairly bad flooding. Most roads impassible by car. Local taxi companies not running either. Dublin Bus maybe your only hope for getting to work but that's a long shot.
    Has rained steady through the night in South Armagh but it appears to be not intense enough to cause any flooding anywhere thankfully. No wind either. Although overall totals of rainfall for the 48 hours of this event may be quite high, the lack of intensity has spared us this severe flooding. Why has there been no noticeable rise in stream and river levels? I am curious as my contract today is repairing a small bridge on a farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain overnight not as heavy as I expected but still have got 10.6mm since midnight on top of 62.6mm up to midnight. 'Storm' total now stands at 73.2mm.

Are you positive that your collector isn't collecting spurious splashes from a nearby surface, etc. as your total is almost double those around you. On the north side of the mountains you would expect a little more than at lower levels, but it still doesn't tally with stations of similar or more altitude.

Totals to 7am

Dublin Airport (240 ft) 43 mm
    Casement (320 ft) 44 mm
    Dun Laoghaire Harbour (0 ft) 37.9 mm
    Celbridge (210 ft) 35 mm

Also, the radar totals posted by Deep above don't show anything near 73 mm, only around up to 48 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Has been raining heavily since around 4am here. Wind beginning to pick up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rain has arrived in Waterford :(

Current amount is 1.2mm :pac:

Su Campu wrote: »
    Are you positive that your collector isn't collecting spurious splashes from a nearby surface, etc. as your total is almost double those around you.

Yes.....rain guage is approx. 2m off the ground and away from walls, trees, etc., and rain guage is clean (cleaned it the other day in advance of this event) and settings are all correct (including on Weatherlink - i.e. it is not double counting).

Fact is that in this sort of set up, with rain from the north to north east, I always get much higher totals than any of the Met E Dublin stations. Bear in mind that DL is approx. 12km to my east and (obvioulsy) almost at sea level. Casement is approx. 12km to my west - different topography there. Dublin AP is probably 20km to my north (no high ground there to give orographic rain).

I just new you would query my totals.....you always do! I could see you chomping at the bit yesterday. :p

Drove from Dublin 4 to here yesterday at lunchtime - light rain there and moderate to heavy rain - I know that is not scientific and is only a snapshot in time (and obvioulsy localised) but I have that experience on a regular basis of arriving here to heavier rain in this type of set up.

BTW, 'Storm' total now stands at 77.0mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

Just to back up DOCARCH s readings.I'm living not far from his location.My readings here
    in Firhouse up to 8 am are

Rain storm amount 66.2 mm
    Rain since midnight 12.0 mm
    Bar min reading 984.7 at. 5_35 am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement