Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

The rain is wet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not a drop in Waterford thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Confab wrote: »
    Just another rainy day in Dublin, quite frankly. Nothing remarkable about that. I suppose people have to get their kicks where they can, or maybe it's because we don't get severe weather in this country. I've seen severe thunderstorms in Australia where people just got on with life, but here a bit of rain and wind and we practically have a heart attack while salivating over the models. I don't understand it.

The heavy rain was never meant to come in until after lunch today, so a little early for nay saying. Also it is the rainfall accumulations that were causing concern not a one off monsoon event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just another rainy day in Dublin, quite frankly. Nothing remarkable about that. I suppose people have to get their kicks where they can, or maybe it's because we don't get severe weather in this country. I've seen severe thunderstorms in Australia where people just got on with life, but here a bit of rain and wind and we practically have a heart attack while salivating over the models. I don't understand it.

It's 1040am, you made a decision yesterday to dismiss this and start moaning. Haven't seen much 'hype' as you suggest on here at all. Just highlighting that rainfall totals in some areas could be severe and cause flooding.

Perhaps reserve judgement until the event has passed instead of coming on here disrupting the thread.

Also winds gusting towards 60mph tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Conrach wrote: »
    The heavy rain was never meant to come in until after lunch today, so a little early for nay saying. Also it is the rainfall accumulations that were causing concern not a one off monsoon event.

I understand that, but it's rare enough to get flooding in Dublin. An accumulation of 8 cm of rain (more like 5cm due to absorption and drainage) is not enough to cause issues, especially since we haven't had a huge amount of rain lately. Maybe I am being a Buzz Killington, but it's hard to get excited about a bit of wetness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

I understand that, but it's rare enough to get flooding in Dublin. An accumulation of 8 cm of rain (more like 5cm due to absorption and drainage) is not enough to cause issues, especially since we haven't had a huge amount of rain lately. Maybe I am being a Buzz Killington, but it's hard to get excited about a bit of wetness.

Oh Jaysus, we have an IMBY. :D
    The weather warnings aren't just for Dublin! There is vast swathes of country outside of Dublin. There has been moderate but persistent rain in my area from 9am. Fields and roads have flooded. I dread to see what damage the torrential rain will bring this afternoon.
    I also think there is a big difference in being excited and being concerned. ;)
    The UKMO have us under an amber alert and that doesn't happen very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Exactly, this idea of weather events (sometimes concerning ones) as mere personal entertainment, and then throwing the toys out of the pram if it does not happen as you had hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sun is peeking out at times here and we didn't get a drop overnight. Total washout (so to speak!) There is a separate narrow band that could edge its way over us later maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Looks like much heavier stuff starting to feed into Dublin and surrounding counties on the east coast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Just starting to get heavy here in north Dublin (Glasnevin)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There has been moderate but persistent rain in my area from 9am. Fields and roads have flooded. I dread to see what damage the torrential rain will bring this afternoon.
    The UKMO have us under an amber alert and that doesn't happen very often.

Point taken, I withdraw my first world problem.
    The weather warnings aren't just for Dublin! There is vast swathes of country outside of Dublin.

Wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Its still not clear just how much of an impact this will have in Ireland. It could be that the east coast gets the most, or it could be Ulster. Could be more than 40mm or it could be a lot less.

The rain over Ireland at the moment is not significant, and if we do get significant rainfall here it won't be starting until around afternoon/evening.

Lets just wait and see how things go overnight tonight before the post mortems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

water riseing out my back garden here(finglas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"Issued at 24 September 2012 - 11:16
    Rainfall Warning
    Persistent rain is expected to give totals of 25 to 50mm in the period from 12:00 today(Monday) to 18:00 Tuesday in parts of north Leinster and central and eastern parts of Ulster."

it's only starting now really it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Much more intense rain now in the Business Park at Eastpoint, radar is showing it coming ashore too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yep , diecyd , just back from walking the dog in Mellows ,no crazy surface water yet but certainly interesting considering its only started . Came down heavy at times with decent size drops ..Great walking the dog weather imo !

Looking at the radar i definitely think there could be problems later this evening if the heavier bursts become more persistent . Shall be fun coming home from college later!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Blue skies in Cork, quite nice out, if a bit chilly!

Latest output from the hires NMM model showing up to 73mm in the Dublin/Wicklow area in 36 hours.

These models are shifting all the time though so don't take that to the bank just yet. The flooding risk is there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

luckily we have come from a relatively dry period of weather, flooding still a risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mostly dry here - just the odd drop floating on by in the light NW breeze. 0.0mm. Quite a chill this morning, 9c at ten o'clock, rising to 10.2c now at midday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

24hr rainfall totals up to 12pm. Looks like some significant totals over SW UK over the period which seem to be crawling ever closer towards the NE of Ireland. Will post updated chart later tonight.

221806.png

From Netweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Dublin airport is getting serious rain the past hour, some huge drops coming down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

For anyone that is interested in the impact it is currently having in the UK.
    This flooding map gives a good idea, updated every 15 mins.

http://news.uk.msn.com/interactive/flood-alerts/

A similar service would be nice in Ireland.

221808.PNG

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Alan_Curry

At least it's not windy, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Dublin airport is getting serious rain the past hour, some huge drops coming down. :D

Yip, it's been pretty consistent since I got here at 8 this morning, it'll be interesting to see how the afternoon pans out, it doesn't look like a problem yet but if it picks up it'll be interesting, the rainfall radar threatens heavier rain at times but we're not really seeing it here.

And just as I type that it's got heavier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Not a drop in Waterford thankfully :)

Same here in north east Kilkenny, the radar shows it on the doorstep of the county.

On a seperate note, I pity the farmers especially who will be getting all this rainfall, I know we might get enough here yet but it's not what is needed right now.

I guess the child of Prague is out in New Ross for the ploughing :pac:

edit to add how cold it is(rather than add a new post) currently just 9.0C here from a high of 9.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

An accumulation of 8 cm of rain (more like 5cm due to absorption and drainage) is not enough to cause issues...

8 cm of rain (more than 3 inches) would be an extremely serious event. Even 2 inches (5 cm) would be disruptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

been raining steadily here since before 7 this morning, starting to get heavier now, no wind though, is it due to get worse as the day goes on?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    An accumulation of 8 cm of rain (more like 5cm due to absorption and drainage) is not enough to cause issues...

8 cm of rain (more than 3 inches) would be an extremely serious event. Even 2 inches (5 cm) would be disruptive.

80mm in 24 hours for the Dublin area is a 50 year event according to the Met Eireann report on the 2002 flooding.

I don't think we'll see totals that high though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Man that rain is wet out there today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement