Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This isn't much of anything really is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

mike65 wrote: »
    This isn't much of anything really is it?

Certainly not for Waterford anyway Mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Dublin 22mm
    Belfast 45mm
    Donegal 2-11
    Claremorris trace(<0.15)
    :D

winds picking up here and getting gusty..rain is on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Certainly not for Waterford anyway Mike!

Our snow shield is pretty adaptable its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A band of heavy rain has been affecting some Western parts since 9pm and has urged Met Eireann to post a warning....Rainfall warning for West Connaught
    Heavy rain will continue over West Connaught tonight with 35 - 50 mm possible in the next 6 to 12 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

12hr rainfall accumulation map (based only on radar returns). Ireland in the clear thus far. Haven't been monitoring model outputs that much but the bulk of the rain seems to have occurred a little more to the SE than was forecast I think.

221768.png

(chart from Netweather)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A pulsey looking band ( separate from the big low) is locked in on a line from around Shannon to Belmullet via Newport, a similarly positioned S>N thundery band caused some severe local flash floods in West Mayo in July 2009 with roads bridges swept away etc although that event hit 40mm an hour at one stage.

Maybe the Met are conscious of not incurring the Taoiseachs wrath even though the warning issued too late for anyone to do anything about it other than wonder where the road has gone in the morning...if it comes to that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Well lets hear the very latest from Met Eireann as its fast approaching five to midnight,Rte Radio or Sky 0160.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

pauldry wrote: »
    Id say tomorrow approx rainfalls would be

Dublin 25mm
    Belfast 35mm
    Donegal 30mm (Sam)
    Claremorris 20mm (Samless)
    Galway 15mm
    Ballyhaise 40mm
    Mullingar 25mm
    Shannon 10mm
    Cork 5mm

Wind gusts of 60 knots possible tomorrow night in Northwest

Oh Sligo of course!!! 28mm Ill guess.
    Funny man

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    a similarly positioned S>N thundery band caused some severe local flash floods in West Mayo in July 2009 with roads bridges swept away etc although that event hit 40mm an hour at one stage.

Remember that event well. Remember in paticular how the whole storm system completely avoided this area. :rolleyes:

221769.png221770.png

• Advertisement

The 2009 event tracked North across the Aran Islands, hit Lettermore where it blew the roof off a house , north across the 12 pins and into Mayo. A previous event 2 years before that washed away a bridge in Leenane. I was watching it in the distance way off sunny Barna pier. :)

That area has previous. Newport has managed 15mm or so at a rate of 5mm odd an hour so lets see how long that goes on.

Dosen't look particularly heavy in any part of that feature. I'd say the hourly rates at Newport are more from a steady light to moderate rate within the narrow, slow moving band.
    221775.png

Dammit DE where can I get that high res radar of yours??? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

6.0mm here so far from this 'event'.

Looking at NetWeather forecast, based on GFS, it has forecast 82.7mm for Dublin for the next 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Not that heavy at the moment here on east coast, but rough aul going for 0620!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Remember that event well. Remember in paticular how the whole storm system completely avoided this area. :rolleyes:

221769.png221770.png

Think that was the storm that washed away the bridge in leenane, Conemmara? It caused a 100km diversion!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The trend in all the models (pre-ECM which is due out soon) is increasingly severe ... the low stays over the Irish Sea or near Wales, and any loop is quite small before a southward drift begins later tomorrow.

Radar appearance over the U.K. suggests that heavy rainfall will push slowly west today and overspread most of eastern Ireland by this evening and overnight. Rainfall amounts of 50-100 mms are possible in the next 48h although I have mentioned 40-80 mms in the forecast. This would be most likely to verify just west and north of Dublin, I believe. On the other hand, amounts in Cork and Waterford may be as little as 10-30 mms.

Winds could also become very strong as the low's core has been spinning down overnight and Dublin would appear to be in line for these strong wind gusts as well as all exposed locations in the east and also in Donegal and possibly north Mayo.

Going over to work on forecast, with an eye on the later ECM guidance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Up to 7.4mm here now. Rain a little heavier.

Looking at radar for my location it already looks like rain is orographic in nature already as there is a constant blob/return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Not a breath of wind here, birds singing their hearts out, whilst I'm walking to work in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This rain is expected to be in now for the next 36 hours and get heavier.

Some Severe flooding is likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Just helped a lady change a tyre, rain seems to have eased a bit here in dalkey. But a lot of leaves and the like about. If it kicks off the drains will have some job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

This morning I made a decision to cancel some outdoor work planned for today based on the forecast of heavy rainfall. I based in Louth. Three people due to work for me today were cancelled. One of them argued that the rain won't be to bad and I am beginning to realise that this event is nothing more than a typical wet September's day. I really hope that it isn't another case of a over hyped event. Met eireann aren't being as dramatic as some sources. Also the radar isn't showing any particularly heavy rain over Ireland and it's very calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

This morning I made a decision to cancel some outdoor work planned for today based on the forecast of heavy rainfall. I based in Louth. Three people due to work for me today were cancelled. One of them argued that the rain won't be to bad and I am beginning to realise that this event is nothing more than a typical wet September's day. I really hope that it isn't another case of a over hyped event. Met eireann aren't being as dramatic as some sources. Also the radar isn't showing any particularly heavy rain over Ireland and it's very calm.

Off you pop so while you have a chance, just leave out your Lunch break to catch up with lost time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The rain should be getting heavier for you over the next few hours, but especially after noon.
    Not a whole lot was really expected anywhere this morning I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z NAE has the pressure dropping down to 970mb over northern England at 24 hours.

24 hour rain totals for the east up to about 40mm, same as the Met E warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This evening's high tide expected at 19.40 of roughly 3.6m will be one to watch . It's the accumulation of rain by this time and later that will be the problem . I certainly wasn't expecting and hour long monsoonal rain event .

Now ... Off to get the rain-gear on and out to walk the doggie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just another rainy day in Dublin, quite frankly. Nothing remarkable about that. I suppose people have to get their kicks where they can, or maybe it's because we don't get severe weather in this country. I've seen severe thunderstorms in Australia where people just got on with life, but here a bit of rain and wind and we practically have a heart attack while salivating over the models. I don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Confab wrote: »
    Just another rainy day in Dublin, quite frankly. Nothing remarkable about that. I suppose people have to get their kicks where they can, or maybe it's because we don't get severe weather in this country. I've seen severe thunderstorms in Australia where people just got on with life, but here a bit of rain and wind and we practically have a heart attack while salivating over the models. I don't understand it.

That's all it was supposed to be man. The heaviest rain hasn't arrived yet. The concern is due to accumulated totals between now and tomorrow evening. I'm as wary as hype as the next man, but this does look like flooding potential/concern to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Confab wrote: »

Way to go, buzz killington! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement