Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 45 Alan_Curry

Confab wrote: »
    I understand that, but it's rare enough to get flooding in Dublin. An accumulation of 8 cm of rain (more like 5cm due to absorption and drainage) is not enough to cause issues, especially since we haven't had a huge amount of rain lately. Maybe I am being a Buzz Killington, but it's hard to get excited about a bit of wetness.

Do you remember the Dundrum flooding? 7 to 8 centimeters of rain fell that day. Here's a link:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly_summarys/oct11sum.pdf

Rain in Ireland usually sweeps over the country from the west and lasts a few hours, this is going plonk itself over the northeast of the country for over a day so it's worth monitoring with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

only one wrote: »
    Man that rain is wet out there today

Yup, only just noticed now. Last time I saw it like this was last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Nice day here ... So far .. Light breeze and nice warm sunny spells

Alan_Curry wrote: »
    Do you remember the Dundrum flooding? 7 to 8 centimeters of rain fell that day. Here's a link:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly_summarys/oct11sum.pdf

Rain in Ireland usually sweeps over the country from the west and lasts a few hours, this is going plonk itself over the northeast of the country for over a day so it's worth monitoring with caution.

Yeah am beginning to see that now. I retract my earlier statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Someone posted this over on FB , from Durham ,

Pressure of 972mb already?... adding on one or 2mb for calibration its still quite low!

390434_10151154839128911_847650116_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »

Pressure of 972mb already?... adding on one or 2mb for calibration its still quite low!

Wasn't this low forecasted at 985 or something? 972 is pretty damn low

Confab wrote: »
    Wasn't this low forecasted at 985 or something? 972 is pretty damn low

Exactly what i thought.. :/ ... its seems 10mb off compared to models?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

grand soft day in athlone at the moment.

are we going to get hit by this rain and wind hard at some stage today ?

Just wondering should I go do my bits and pieces now or can i put them off till later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

390434_10151154839128911_847650116_n.jpg

That can't be right. The models don't show it deepening to around that figure for another 20 hours. What are the official readings like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If this was a snow event i'd be raging down here in Waterford but seen as it's rain :pac:

• Advertisement

Latest reports say 992 for Dublin, falling about 0.5 hPa/h

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

If this was a snow event i'd be raging down here in Waterford but seen as it's rain :pac:

Was just thinking the same. According to Rain Today, I'm just south of the rain area by a few miles. Off today, so might go out to cut the grass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

I have just had a text from my daughters primary school. It says this :

A Severe Weather Warning has been issued to schools by the Met office. Valid from 2pm today to 6am tomorrow morning. All children should be collected at 2pm as school closing early. Children attending Afterschool club should be collected ASAP by parents

This is unprecedented. I have had kids in this school for 15 years and have never known them to close early even during the winter of 2010.

That can't be right. The models don't show it deepening to around that figure for another 20 hours. What are the official readings like?

Has to be a calibration error.. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/observations/ none near it at all..

Conrach wrote: »

A Severe Weather Warning has been issued to schools by the Met office. Valid from 2pm today to 6am tomorrow morning. All children should be collected at 2pm as school closing early. Children attending Afterschool club should be collected ASAP by parents

This is unprecedented. I have had kids in this school for 15 years and have never known them to close early even during the winter of 2010.

Principle must have a fear of big puddles... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Duiske wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same. According to Rain Today, I'm just south of the rain area by a few miles. Off today, so might go out to cut the grass. :)

Sun trying to peep out now as well, last cut of the season (hopefully) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Doubt many schools will issue similar warnings to family's. It's interesting they would risk panicking parents and children over the current weather system considering its slow nature. Overkill anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Doubt many schools will issue similar warnings to family's. It's interesting they would risk panicking parents and children over the current weather system considering its slow nature. Overkill anyone?

According to a friend who phoned the school it is a directive from the Education Board on advise from the UKMO. All Primary schools in our board have received the same directive. Reason unknown considering they stayed open through storms, deep snow and ice before. Only closed for 2 days in 2010 and only because the heating packed in.
    I have no idea if other Education Boards in N.I. are following the same directive.
    Oh and it's only primary schools. Not secondary or Colleges.

Some schools in England are being forced to close. This is at a school in Shropshire this afternoon.

A3jc8ywCEAAI0Yd.jpg

From the sound of that above it seems its the UK Met Office advising the schools in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That could be station level pressure, not sea level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

31.6mm here so far with moderate rain atm. High rain rate so far of 34.6mm/hr at 10.57.

Just drove from Ballsbridge to here (Rathfarnham/Ballinteer) rain much heavier and steady here (obviously that was only a brief snapshot).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

is there any wind with this system at the moment. So calm in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The warning is here and in fairness the Met Officice show Co.Down in the Orange zone

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/?regionName=uk

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Horrific here in D8. First time I've seen heavy rain in the area since I moved in June. The drainage system is fairly poor in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

We need t go to ....

WetCon 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    31.6mm here so far with moderate rain atm. High rain rate so far of 34.6mm/hr at 10.57.

Just drove from Ballsbridge to here (Rathfarnham/Ballinteer) rain much heavier and steady here (obviously that was only a brief snapshot).
    The rain is lot heavier where you are all right, I've only measured half of what you've got on the other side of the city - 16mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Principle must have a fear of big puddles... :rolleyes:

Typical teachers... Any excuse to get away early.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The rain is lot heavier where you are all right, I've only measured half of what you've got on the other side of the city - 16mm.

Orographic rain here. Most of the time I am in a rainshadow except when rain is coming from the north or north east. At 34.0mm now.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Orographic rain here. Most of the time I am in a rainshadow except when rain is coming from the north or north east. At 34.0mm now.

When is that 34mm since?

• Advertisement

Starting to reminice of October last year as the rain keeps coming down. At 35.0mm now - rain rate of 10.8mm/hr atm.

At least it is calm (at the moment) so not blowing leaves off trees to block drains!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement